Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

MHG
Topic Author

Wizzair to fly Gdansk (Poland) - Molde (Norway) from october ´19 ???

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:14 am

I am aware that Wizzair is known for serving some routes that seem to make little sense at first sight to outsiders (like me) but usually seem to work somehow ...

But - this announcement that they start flying to Molde from oct 28 makes me wonder where the "market" is.
They will serve the route twice weekly with an A320 with a Gdansk based aircraft obviously.

Is there any sizeable Polish community (migrant workers ...) within Molde´s catchment area that warrants a direct service to Poland - in particular considering the route will commence at the beginning of winter schedule ?

Anybody to give some insight as to why exactly this route ???

Norway not being part of EU is certainly restrictive in handing out work permits to foreigners ...
So, who are the prospective passengers ?
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Blerg

Re: Wizzair to fly Gdansk (Poland) - Molde (Norway) from october ´19 ???

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:48 am

Maybe they are getting subsidies to operate the route?

MHG
Topic Author

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:54 am

Blerg wrote:

Even if that´s the case I don´t see that being the deciding point sufficient to make the scale tip over in the right direction for Wizzair ...
Last edited by MHG on Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flying is not inherently dangerous but it is very unforgiving in case of carelessness, incapacity or neglect.

Milka

Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:55 am

MHG wrote:

But - this announcement that they start flying to Molde from oct 28 makes me wonder where the "market" is.

I think they are looking to create their own market.

Blerg

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:00 am

MHG wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Even if that´s the case I don´t see that being the deciding point sufficient to make the scale tip over in the right direction for Wizzair ...

But why should they care? The city/airport/... will cover the costs and I am sure they could get some extra passengers here and there. Norway is quite a popular tourist destination so this could eventually become yet another gateway to the country.

Joost

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:10 am

MHG wrote:
Norway not being part of EU is certainly restrictive in handing out work permits to foreigners ...

When it comes to work permits and free movement of people, Norway is by it's EEA membership no different than other EU countries meaning that all EU citizens can work in Norway.

So I would expect migrant traffic. Is there any significant ship building or repair activity around Molde perhaps? Or is it fishery that attracts foreign workers?

Someone83

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:23 am

There are both fisheries, ship building and some offshore activities nearby.

If you look at Wizz’ network from Gdansk to Norway, they now fly to to airports that can handle an A320 just a few, mainly in the North, that are missing

MHG
Topic Author

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:25 am

Joost wrote:
MHG wrote:

When it comes to work permits and free movement of people, Norway is by it's EEA membership no different than other EU countries meaning that all EU citizens can work in Norway.

Not true.
It is correct that EU citizens can move freely around Norway.
But they cannot take any job without a work permit - similar to Switzerland.

But I agree there might be some particular demand for foreign workers e.g. in fishery industry.
Still, is that sufficient to warrant a twice weekly service ?

holczakker

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:27 am

GDN-MOL flight was already operated in the past by Wizz.
The reason of such number of flights from GDN to Norway/Finland: shipyard factory workers, oil rig staff, cruiser crews.

Someone83

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:33 am

MHG wrote:

Not true.
It is correct that EU citizens can move freely around Norway.
But they cannot take any job without a work permit - similar to Switzerland.
[/quote]

But they are still free to work within Norway, permit or not

The whole construction industry in Norway is highly dependent on foreign workers, where people from Poland is the largest group.

MHG
Topic Author

Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:47 am

Now I slowly get a clearer view on the background of this route.
Especially in regard of the shipyard and oil rig employment requirements.
Since Gdansk was (is?) still big in shipbuilding I can see a connection now ...

And after some research I found out Molde is a tourist spot - despite I´d expect that to be less of a driving factor during winter time - and a transportation hub (road/ferry/"Hurtigruten").

@someone83
Maybe my knowledge regarding work permit is not up to date. I still remember when that was required ...
Since a huge number of jobs in a number fields remains vacant with no change of situation in sight I can understand that Norway may have opened their employment sector to EU-citizens ...

SCQ83

Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:00 am

Welcome to Ryanair and Wizzair 2019. There are not enough markets unserved so they must be creative.

As others mentioned, there are many Polish living in Norway/Scandinavia and likely GDN has the most links with those areas (being a port city itself).

It will also likely stimulate tourism in both directions. A reasonable number of Polish now have some income for city-breaks (however Norway is very expensive). Norwegians will like a cheap weekend in the Baltic sea. Also if price is right some people will self-connect in GDN.

I flew GDN-NYO a couple of years ago and it seemed a mix of Polish VFR going back to work and Swedish (interestingly most of them on the "darker" spectrum) going for a cheap booze / stag / Polish girls recruiting weekend.

That is the beauty of FR/W6. People just fly for the sake of it; those 10 or 20 euro tickets are irresistible.

oslmgm

Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:34 am

MHG wrote:
@someone83
Maybe my knowledge regarding work permit is not up to date. I still remember when that was required ...
Since a huge number of jobs in a number fields remains vacant with no change of situation in sight I can understand that Norway may have opened their employment sector to EU-citizens ...

All EU citizens have had the right to work in Norway since 1. January 1994, because of the EEA Agreement.

davidjohnson6

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:02 am

I haven't heard of Molde being one of the top places for inbound tourism in Norway. Oslo, Bergen, fjords or Trondheim yes, but maybe not Molde.

Mortyman

Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:59 am

MHG wrote:
I am aware that Wizzair is known for serving some routes that seem to make little sense at first sight to outsiders (like me) but usually seem to work somehow ...

They will serve the route twice weekly with an A320 with a Gdansk based aircraft obviously.

Is there any sizeable Polish community (migrant workers ...) within Molde´s catchment area that warrants a direct service to Poland - in particular considering the route will commence at the beginning of winter schedule ?

Anybody to give some insight as to why exactly this route ???

So, who are the prospective passengers ?

According to official statistics, 451 people from Poland lives in Molde, so not a very large number, but it is the largest immigrant population in the area. The Polish are the largest immigrant population in Norway as a whole too, with 98212 people in Norway. ( Numbers are from 2018 )

Of the approximately 747,000 immigrants in Norway, 54 per cent have a background from Europe, 31 per cent have a background from Asia and 13 per cent have a background from Africa. 3 percent have backgrounds from South and Central America, and 2 percent from North America and Oceania.

Immigrants from Poland are by far the largest group in Norway, followed by immigrants from Lithuania and Sweden.

jmmadrid

Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:55 am

Work permits for EU citizens
EEA nationals with a valid identity card or passport can legally move to Norway and look for a job without a work permit for up to six months. They must register their presence in the country as a job seeker with the police within the first three months of their arrival. If they have not found a job after six months, they are required to leave Norway. They can return soon after and begin the process again.

terefere

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:39 pm

Gdansk is also a major tourist destination in Poland, increasingly so for Norwegians, too. A lot of medical tourism from Scandinavia as well.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos