Zoedyn
Topic Author

“Cabin security monitor” air rage incident filmed on Air China flight sparks Chinese uproar, embroiling CA in PR scandal

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:00 am

https://m.weibo.cn/1420157965/4393932915787853

A video showing the sensational air rage of a middle-aged madam who claimed to be a CA cabin security monitor aboard #Flight CA4107 CTU-PEK filmed on Jul 12 has gone viral on Chinese social media SinaWeibo (Click https://m.weibo.cn/1498115692/4393518715443390 for the video), plunging the Chinese “flag carrier” into a big PR scandal once again.

According to the account by the passenger who filmed the video, the incident stemmed from mobile phone use by several pax on board when the flight was pushing back.

The madam slammed those pax using phones during taxiing as potential danger to flight safety, and added various other dramatic accusations that eyewitnesses said were unfounded, eg, she was being threatened with violence by the accused passengers using phones.

But that still led to a 7-hour detention for several pax upon landing at PEK by airport police.

When the video of the incident was first released on Chinese social media yesterday Jul 13th, which became an instant sensation online with millions of hits and tens of thousands of comments, Air China replied via its official Weibo account that CA never got such post as “cabin security monitor”, which soon got falsified by Chinese netizens, making CA delete the post before long.

Now it’s confirmed the madam who claimed to be CA’s “cabin security monitor” has proven to be a staff working with Air China, who used to be detained for 5 days for yelling and spitting at airport policemen.

We’ll see how CA is going to handle this messed up situation.

zeke

Re: “Cabin security monitor” air rage incident filmed on Air China flight sparks Chinese uproar, embroiling CA in PR sca

Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:07 am

No surprise the video link does not work any more
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

MetalNeutral

Re: “Cabin security monitor” air rage incident filmed on Air China flight sparks Chinese uproar, embroiling CA in PR sca

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:13 am

zeke wrote:

Exactly: I don't understand what the expectation was around the handling of this incident, other than waiting for some form of censorship.

MN

clipperlondon

Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:39 am

zeke wrote:

When you press the 'translate' button from the Chinese text, the actual translation is utterly hilarious. It wouldn't look out of place on a Chinese restaurant menu from the 1960s.

I know nothing of the Chinese language, yet words like fart, mental hospital and other choice phrases prove that the Chinese are no slouches when it comes to insults.No wonder they deleted the video...lol :shock:

PSAatSAN4Ever

Sun Jul 14, 2019 3:47 pm

Three thoughts come to mind:

1) I don't approve of the woman's actions, but I do understand. How many of us have been forced to listen as a self-designated VIP believes that the planet will stop rotating if their phone call doesn't go through? Of that one person who has no "phone voice", or forgets that anyone else exists? We've all wanted to say, "oh, for heaven's sake, would you please just SHUT UP?" at some point, right?

2) An expert on the Chinese language will need to clarify and/or correct me, but Mandarin has always proven to be a difficult language sometimes to translate. Context is everything, and literal translations almost always end up as jibberish. Cultural aspects are as important as everything else.

3) In one of my Chinese history classes taught many years ago by one of the first non-Chinese people to study Mandarin in the People's Republic upon its initial opening to the west in the 1970's, we watched a video titled, "A Village Called Longbow". It was an interview with one of the last remaining women who had been subjected to foot-binding, the ritualistic torture of women to mangle their feet to keep them small. When the documentary came to her interview (after introducing the whole story of foot binding), her responses to fairly inane questions like, "does it still hurt" not only provked angry responses, but the English translations appeared on the screen, every other word was a swear word, familiar to those who know how to swear effectively in English...

After the video, a brave soul in our class asked, "were those really the words she was saying?". Our professor replied, "well, not entirely, but many of them were, and the others were equally as profane". Knowing absolutely nothing whatsoever about the language, we were kind of surprised, but we were assured that, yes, Chinese (and I am assuming this applies to all dialects) is quite efficient for cursing someone.

I related afterwards that in my German class in high school, we were taught that German is remarkably not suited for cursing someone. We kind of thought, initially, that he might be shielding us from the truth, but his reply of "Spanish, however, has words that could melt that table!" indicated he wasn't hiding anything.

Yossarian22

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:41 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

1) I don't approve of the woman's actions, but I do understand. How many of us have been forced to listen as a self-designated VIP believes that the planet will stop rotating if their phone call doesn't go through? Of that one person who has no "phone voice", or forgets that anyone else exists? We've all wanted to say, "oh, for heaven's sake, would you please just SHUT UP?" at some point, right?

Absolutely nobody in China has a “phone voice”, it is a loud country and a loud language. I was on a domestic WE flight a few days ago, and the Chinese “gentleman” sitting behind me basically yelled his part of the conversation for the entire 90 minute flight.

“forgets that anyone else exists?”

That describes must Chinese people.

ewt340

Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:59 pm

Just avoid the whole country goddammit.

Revelation

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:35 pm

Yossarian22 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Absolutely nobody in China has a “phone voice”, it is a loud country and a loud language. I was on a domestic WE flight a few days ago, and the Chinese “gentleman” sitting behind me basically yelled his part of the conversation for the entire 90 minute flight.

Damn, don't I know it. I work near a large contingent of PRC ex-pats, and they don't seem to care that people around them are trying to get work done. Everyone else now rocks high end headphones just to block out the high volume noise.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Jouhou

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:09 pm

Yossarian22 wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Meanwhile, in Taiwan, people speak the same language but manage to not be obnoxious about it. They also understand the concept of standing in a line...

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

2) An expert on the Chinese language will need to clarify and/or correct me, but Mandarin has always proven to be a difficult language sometimes to translate. Context is everything, and literal translations almost always end up as jibberish. Cultural aspects are as important as everything else.

3) In one of my Chinese history classes taught many years ago by one of the first non-Chinese people to study Mandarin in the People's Republic upon its initial opening to the west in the 1970's, we watched a video titled, "A Village Called Longbow". It was an interview with one of the last remaining women who had been subjected to foot-binding, the ritualistic torture of women to mangle their feet to keep them small. When the documentary came to her interview (after introducing the whole story of foot binding), her responses to fairly inane questions like, "does it still hurt" not only provked angry responses, but the English translations appeared on the screen, every other word was a swear word, familiar to those who know how to swear effectively in English...

After the video, a brave soul in our class asked, "were those really the words she was saying?". Our professor replied, "well, not entirely, but many of them were, and the others were equally as profane". Knowing absolutely nothing whatsoever about the language, we were kind of surprised, but we were assured that, yes, Chinese (and I am assuming this applies to all dialects) is quite efficient for cursing someone.

I related afterwards that in my German class in high school, we were taught that German is remarkably not suited for cursing someone. We kind of thought, initially, that he might be shielding us from the truth, but his reply of "Spanish, however, has words that could melt that table!" indicated he wasn't hiding anything.

I'm pretty sure Russian is the ultimate language for insults and profanity. English is up there though, I've seen plenty of YouTube videos with people speaking one language (including chinese) and then switching to English for exclaiming profanities.

tigerotor77w

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:06 pm

Age-old question... if a passenger on a plane is using a mobile phone after the safety announcement for airplane mode is made, should anyone even bother pointing it out?

Video link, if it still works:
https://f.us.sinaimg.cn/004C54belx07vpl ... tore,video

Alexbit17

Sun Jul 14, 2019 9:19 pm

How professional to bring up an ill-fated flight; that would definitely calm down the passengers... :duck:

tigerotor77w wrote:
Age-old question... if a passenger on a plane is using a mobile phone after the safety announcement for airplane mode is made, should anyone even bother pointing it out?

Video link, if it still works:
https://f.us.sinaimg.cn/004C54belx07vpl ... tore,video

I was on a Copa Airlines flight a couple of years back and tried recording everything from pushback 'till after take-off, but a flight attendant demanded that I'd turn off my phone. It didn't really happen on the other three flights. I guess it just depends on the person nowadays. (?)

N14AZ

Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:52 am

Zoedyn wrote:
The madam slammed those pax using phones during taxiing as potential danger to flight safety ...

She would have been very busy, if she would continued her campaign....Whenever landing in China on a domestic flight you can hear “bings” and “beeps” or even phone calls once the plane is close to the runway, i.e. on final approach.

ewt340 wrote:

That’s very rude. If you avoid each and every country with crazy persons, I guess you have to stay at home. But even there you might have some crazy persons, so where do you want to live?

ewt340

Tue Jul 16, 2019 1:39 am

N14AZ wrote:
Zoedyn wrote:
The madam slammed those pax using phones during taxiing as potential danger to flight safety ...

She would have been very busy, if she would continued her campaign....Whenever landing in China on a domestic flight you can hear “bings” and “beeps” or even phone calls once the plane is close to the runway, i.e. on final approach.

ewt340 wrote:

That’s very rude. If you avoid each and every country with crazy persons, I guess you have to stay at home. But even there you might have some crazy persons, so where do you want to live?

As a Chinese person with lots of family in mainland china. Yes, I do avoid many countries with big percentages of crazy people.

I want to live in a place where MAJORITY of people doesn't unbuckle their seat belts when the plane barely exit the runway or talking in their phone during take off or landing.

I don't think it's too much to ask right?

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:24 am

This really is getting hilarious.

Mr Xu Yanchun, head of Propaganda Department of Air China, said the madam who caused the sensational incident is indeed a CA staff, but isn't a security monitor. She used to be a CA stewardess, but hasn't been on any work duty for a long time because of mental illnesses.

Air China issued a statement on its Weibo account yesterday Jul 15. CA admitted the madam in the incident is a staff of the company on medical leave for health reasons, stressing that she was making a personal trip and wasn't a security monitor. Yet without making any apologies nor saying sorry whatsoever to pax affected on the flight, the carrier expressed hope to improve its service level to better serve the flying public.

自稱國航「監督員」機上斥責乘客-國航:她有精神疾病Air China says the madam having air rage got mental illnesses
关于“监督员”大闹机舱事件 国航回应来了!Air China's response toward "Cabin security monitor" air rage incident

But obviously, the Chinese public in general don't seem to nod the way the Chinese "flag carrier" handled the incident throughout, including how CA responded to public questioning. The comment sections re the "security monitor" air rage incident are virtually in meltdown mode ridden with relentless ridicule and sarcasm, funny or serious, on Chinese internet, despite censorship with many netizens jokingly saying they wanna apply for the job of cabin security monitor :rotfl:

Even CPC's mouthpiece People's Daily is joining in the hilarity, dismissing the carrier as missing the crucial point of the whole incident by dwelling on the trivial.
人民日报评国航"监督员":国航回应避重就轻,听得进批评,才能飞得更稳People's Daily dismisses Air China's response as "missing the crucial point"

You may click the video link on youtube in case the Weibo link in the opening post doesn't work.
https://youtu.be/wbqKSiQBRoc

In addition, Chinese netizens have located another video featuring the same madam's train carriage rage on a different occasion, Beijing Subway Line 5, for failure in getting a seat
https://youtu.be/Xy-sNwtqh7w
Last edited by Zoedyn on Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

c933103

Tue Jul 16, 2019 5:47 am

So do Air China have the "security monitor" position? Now they said they don't, but what about those other users on weibo that posted their certificate of being hired by Air China as such?
Say NO to Hong Kong police's cooperation with criminal organizations like triad.

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:16 am

The “cabin safety monitor” air rage incident on Flight #CA4107 is drawing media attention from South China Morning Post with a much more detailed account.

Air China flight uproar after business class mayhem ends with seven-hour police questioning for passengers

Note how the Chinese “flag carrier”, as if its reputation is not bad enough, has been dealt an awful blow in the incident, as reflected in a survey the report cites on the incident run by online news portal Ifeng.com, with nearly 88 per cent of the 160,000 who took part agreeing that the airline should take responsibility for the incident. A total of 84 per cent said Air China had mishandled the incident and some 58 per cent said they would consider other carriers ahead of Air China in future.

Also the incident seems to have caught the attention of CAAC,as rumors on Chinese social media say the Chinese aviation regulator has been prompted to issue a latest internal notice to Chinese airlines that aims at strengthening cabin order management with a renewed warning to put those unruly pax threatening cabin order on the blacklist of pax banned from flying with social credit loss.

That sets you wondering why CA had failed to put the madam on the airline’s blacklist given her record of being a horrible repeat offender of cabin/airport counter order.

Clearly CAAC has been fond of making blacklists of banned pax in order to bolster flight safety in recent years (See: CAAC releases latest blacklist of 86 individuals banned from air travel for severe loss of social credit)

Blerg

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:49 am

Zoedyn wrote:
The “cabin safety monitor” air rage incident on Flight #CA4107 is drawing media attention from South China Morning Post with a much more detailed account.

Air China flight uproar after business class mayhem ends with seven-hour police questioning for passengers

Note how the Chinese “flag carrier”, as if its reputation is not bad enough, has been dealt an awful blow in the incident, as reflected in a survey the report cites on the incident run by online news portal Ifeng.com, with nearly 88 per cent of the 160,000 who took part agreeing that the airline should take responsibility for the incident. A total of 84 per cent said Air China had mishandled the incident and some 58 per cent said they would consider other carriers ahead of Air China in future.

Also the incident seems to have caught the attention of CAAC,as rumors on Chinese social media say the Chinese aviation regulator has been prompted to issue a latest internal notice to Chinese airlines that aims at strengthening cabin order management with a renewed warning to put those unruly pax threatening cabin order on the blacklist of pax banned from flying with social credit loss.

That sets you wondering why CA had failed to put the madam on the airline’s blacklist given her record of being a horrible repeat offender of cabin/airport counter order.

Clearly CAAC has been fond of making blacklists of banned pax in order to bolster flight safety in recent years (See: CAAC releases latest blacklist of 86 individuals banned from air travel for severe loss of social credit)

Thank you for the videos. What is the young stewardess telling the girl that's recording the lunatic? And what is she telling her that's obviously bring her rage back?

Zoedyn
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:57 am

Blerg wrote:
Thank you for the videos. What is the young stewardess telling the girl that's recording the lunatic? And what is she telling her that's obviously bring her rage back?

The young stewardess was actually telling the girl that she needed to stay on the plane as ground police would soon be arriving to deal with the situation.

To which the girl clearly replied she couldn’t stay because she got a conference to hurry to, besides being falsely accused by the madam.

That was what got the madam :liar: even more furious: She shouted the girl must stay until police presence.

Now we know how wise and lucky it was for the girl to make quick getaway from the airport, because she could have been held in a 7 hours detention by police at PEK had she chosen to stay. Worse still, that might well mean the public would never have had half a chance to get to see the incident footage filmed by the girl :eek:

It’s also noteworthy how the madam had made an effective phone call earlier for immediate police intervention via a special phone number only “insiders” should know. Again the way the madam summoned the police has also raised tremendous controversy and speculation over her real identity and status, as ppl absolutely believe any ordinary Chinese pax acting like her in similar circumstances would no doubt be overpowered and sent for jail at the first moments, rather than being capable of summoning police at her beck and call to handle her alleged trouble.

However, despite the explanations above, I suspect that someone does need to be a Chinese language expert to fully grasp the highly provocative context and nature of the incident involving the madam under the guardianship of CA, as I must say the madam’s revolting Mandarin speech (tone, pitch, vocabulary) typical of “Beijing Chaoyang Dama/Madam”, also reminiscent of the infamous red guardians in Mao’s era of Cultural Revolution, and her wildly bullying mentality typical of her unapologetic employer, are too disgusting, too offensive to be ignored and stomached :roll:

I also believe this scandal is not just a perfect illustration of a pathetic Chinese “flag carrier” re its despotic workings, but also a remarkable reminder as a tiny tip of an iceberg of a deeply diseased society with no cure in sight.

Blerg

Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:14 am

Zoedyn wrote:
Blerg wrote:

The young stewardess was actually telling the girl that she needed to stay on the plane as ground police would soon be arriving to deal with the situation.

To which the girl clearly replied she couldn’t stay because she got a conference to hurry to, besides being falsely accused by the madam.

That was what got the madam :liar: even more furious: She shouted the girl must stay until police presence.

Now we know how wise and lucky it was for the girl to make quick getaway from the airport, because she could have been held in a 7 hours detention by police at PEK had she chosen to stay. Worse still, that might well mean the public would never have had half a chance to get to see the incident footage filmed by the girl :eek:

It’s also noteworthy how the madam had made an effective phone call earlier for immediate police intervention via a special phone number only “insiders” should know. Again the way the madam summoned the police has also raised tremendous controversy and speculation over her real identity and status, as ppl absolutely believe any ordinary Chinese pax acting like her in similar circumstances would no doubt be overpowered and sent for jail at the first moments, rather than being capable of summoning police at her beck and call to handle her alleged trouble.

However, despite the explanations above, I suspect that someone does need to be a Chinese language expert to fully grasp the highly provocative context and nature of the incident involving the madam under the guardianship of CA, as I must say the madam’s revolting Mandarin speech (tone, pitch, vocabulary) typical of “Beijing Chaoyang Dama/Madam”, also reminiscent of the infamous red guardians in Mao’s era of Cultural Revolution, and her wildly bullying mentality typical of her unapologetic employer, are too disgusting, too offensive to be ignored and stomached :roll:

I also believe this scandal is not just a perfect illustration of a pathetic Chinese “flag carrier” re its despotic workings, but also a remarkable reminder as a tiny tip of an iceberg of a deeply diseased society with no cure in sight.

Thank you very much, I greatly appreciate your input on this matter!

So how did the lady who was recording get away from the scene? Were they kept until police arrived while the rest of the passengers disembarked?

I am actually really curious what would have happened in the police station and how they would react to all this. I mean there would be no way they would side with the disturbed dragon lady so would have they referred her to a psychiatrist or would have they let them all go and ignored the whole situation?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos