IWMBH
Topic Author

Air Berlin Livery

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:19 am

I couldn't find another threat about this, but my apologies if there is. I landed yesterday at DUS and I saw a A320 in full Air Berlin livery (with name and everything), how many planes are still flying in their colours? It's been a while since they went bankrupt and I was surprised to see that not even their name was removed.

Cointrin330

Re: Air Berlin Livery

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:21 am

Not an uncommon sighting. I saw one of their A321s in full livery at SCL six months ago.

jghealey

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:24 am

In the Laudamotion fleet there's OE-LCG (if you count that as Air Berlin livery - it's the same but with Laudamotion titles) while in the Eurowings fleet , there's D-ABHA and D-ABZI as far as I know, though I assume those will be repainted soon.

IWMBH
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:27 am

jghealey wrote:
In the Laudamotion fleet there's OE-LCG (if you count that as Air Berlin livery - it's the same but with Laudamotion titles) while in the Eurowings fleet , there's D-ABHA and D-ABZI as far as I know, though I assume those will be repainted soon.

It was either D-ABHA or D-ABZI but still strange they didn't took the effort to at least change the naming on the planes to Eurowings.

alancostello

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:10 pm

With a number of carriers changing their liveries in the last few years there's been a global shortage of painting slots, so an ex-Air Berlin aircraft isn't high on the priority if it is otherwise in fine working order. Planes going in for D checks have to have their paint stripped for a thorough hull inspection so many of the slots available are taken up by that alone.

IWMBH
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:11 pm

alancostello wrote:
With a number of carriers changing their liveries in the last few years there's been a global shortage of painting slots, so an ex-Air Berlin aircraft isn't high on the priority if it is otherwise in fine working order. Planes going in for D checks have to have their paint stripped for a thorough hull inspection so many of the slots available are taken up by that alone.

But just removing the naming doesn't require a full paint job, or does it?

atcsundevil

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:18 pm

IWMBH wrote:
alancostello wrote:

But just removing the naming doesn't require a full paint job, or does it?

A vinyl sticker would do the job, but I'll assume there's a lack of motivation in this case. Clearly they aren't bothered. I think it's sort of cool simply for nostalgic purposes — enjoy it while it's still around.

OA940

Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:29 pm

Pretty sure in the EW case it's about them actually needing the plane and its utilization. Can't recall the reg but back in January I saw an Air Berlin livery A320 with a blue rudder in ATH. Pretty sure it wsa EW and it still has that livery today
A350/CSeries = bae

IWMBH
Topic Author

Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:17 pm

OA940 wrote:
Pretty sure in the EW case it's about them actually needing the plane and its utilization. Can't recall the reg but back in January I saw an Air Berlin livery A320 with a blue rudder in ATH. Pretty sure it wsa EW and it still has that livery today

That was also the one I saw in DUS, seems they had to replace the rudder on the plane (probably had some LH spares laying around).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos