DIRECTFLT
Topic Author

Passenger on AA from KIN-MIA asked to deboard to change from her romper outfit

Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:59 pm

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/tisha-rowe ... 019-07-11/

By my judgement, Dr. Rowe's romper outfit did need to be covered up. But since when was any airline's regulations standardized??

"Rowe told KHOU that she was traveling with her 8-year-old son on June 30 when she was asked to step off the plane. Once off, she was told to cover up or she wouldn't be allowed back on. After failing to change the crew's mind, she asked for a blanket, wrapped it around herself and then walked down the plane's aisle to her seat.

American Airlines rules state only that passengers must "dress appropriately," and bare feet or offensive clothing aren't allowed. Rowe said the crew didn't single out anyone else, even a woman who wearing smaller shorts."
Smoothest Ride so far ~ AA A300B4-600R ~~ Favorite Aviation Author ~ Robert J. Serling

WayexTDI

Re: Passenger on AA from KIN-MIA asked to deboard to change from her romper outfit

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:12 pm

Old news.
But yeah, that outfit looks more like a bathing suit or something you wear at the beach than a proper attire for an airplane ride.

Brickell305

Re: Passenger on AA from KIN-MIA asked to deboard to change from her romper outfit

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:18 pm

I see absolutely nothing wrong with her outfit. It’s a romper, a very common form of casual wear for women (and increasingly men). Whoever told her to “cover up” needs to realize this isn’t 1950.

sccutler

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:26 pm

Not the level of clothing dignity I'd choose for myself or my family, but I am old-school.

Hardly appears obscene or offensive, and we've all seen worse.
...three miles from BRONS, clear for the ILS one five approach...

T54A

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:43 pm

I find the weird fear of the female form in the US rather odd.
T6, Allouette 3, Oryx, King Air, B1900, B727, B744, A319, A342/3/6 A332/3

Airlinerguy

Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:58 pm

When are we gonna stop telling women what's appropriate for them to wear.
This policing of women has got to stop.

airportugal310

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:04 pm

T54A wrote:
I find the weird fear of the female form in the US rather odd.

Ya hey generalize an entire country. Always wins fans around here :roll:
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

WayexTDI

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:06 pm

Airlinerguy wrote:

Dress codes/policies apply to both men and women.

So, it's OK for you if a pax shows up dressed like that?

Or like that?

Etheereal

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:11 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Airlinerguy wrote:

Or like that?

Ah, I see you're a man of culture as well..
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:

usxguy

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:12 pm

was she a non-rev?
xx

Planes4you

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:13 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Airlinerguy wrote:

Or like that?

Most people aren’t going to pull up wearing that not even celebrities wear that type of stuff on planes…So thats not a problem.

scbriml

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:21 pm

How is her outfit any different to a guy taking a flight in shorts and a t-shirt? I've taken most of my flights dressed like that (shorts & t-shirt, not the romper suit!)
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

aircatalonia

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:34 pm

Wow, what a scandal. Ryanair would lose half of their passengers with these regulations.

jmmadrid

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:40 pm

scbriml wrote:
How is her outfit any different to a guy taking a flight in shorts and a t-shirt? I've taken most of my flights dressed like that (shorts & t-shirt, not the romper suit!)

I flew SCQ - MAD on Ryanair yesterday wearing jeans shorts and a sleeve-less T-shirt.
I was overdressed and conservative compared to the rest of the passengers.
That romper would have seemed classy, modest and elegant amongst the other outfits.

drerx7

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:46 pm

She is an MD here in Houston. I know her. Very respectful mother of Jamaican decent. She was visiting family with her son.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

WayexTDI

Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:47 pm

drerx7 wrote:
She is an MD here in Houston. I know her. Very respectful mother of Jamaican decent. She was visiting family with her son.

What does her being an MD and respectful has to do with this incident? Nothing.

Exeiowa

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:03 pm

I dont see anything wrong with it, not my personal taste. Where is a line drawn? How much clevage can you show? What about cycling shorts?

From wearing cycling shorts while cycling across Britain, I learnt two things 1 - Wales must be quite dull, and 2 - what it is like to be a women when men are staring and not at your face.

drerx7

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:04 pm

Actually someone asked if she was a non rev. Last time I checked you can add info to a conversation. So what do YOU add to the incident...Nothing.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

aemoreira1981

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:08 pm

I can’t unsee the original post, but I’m going with American here. What happened to etiquette?

SonomaFlyer

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:17 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
I can’t unsee the original post, but I’m going with American here. What happened to etiquette?

So the age in which men wore suits and women wore dresses went away sometime in the late 60's. All of her parts were covered and she was flying from Kingston, Jamaica to Miami, Florida in the summer time.

Given her parts were covered, there is no room for an airline to tell a revenue passenger what to wear. The fact some of us think its not "appropriate," is entertaining but irrelevant.

The person who added this woman's profession and reputation in her community adds context.

We are in 2019, not 1959 and we see this happening to women almost exclusively and women of color disproportionately.

Chemist

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:28 pm

I find AAs seats and service more offensive than her outfit.

WayexTDI

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:29 pm

SonomaFlyer wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

So the age in which men wore suits and women wore dresses went away sometime in the late 60's. All of her parts were covered and she was flying from Kingston, Jamaica to Miami, Florida in the summer time.

Given her parts were covered, there is no room for an airline to tell a revenue passenger what to wear. The fact some of us think its not "appropriate," is entertaining but irrelevant.

Actually, it is very relevant; as the AA employee found her attire to be not appropriate and against the Contract of Carriage. Remember: an airplane is still a private property, and the owner or operator can set their own rules.

SonomaFlyer wrote:
The person who added this woman's profession and reputation in her community adds context.

Please explain how it adds context to know she's an MD. Does that mean she's superior to others? Does it mean she can be above the rules established by the airline?

SonomaFlyer wrote:
We are in 2019, not 1959 and we see this happening to women almost exclusively and women of color disproportionately.

Nobody mentioned she was a woman of color, not even her; why bring it up?

Brickell305

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:32 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Actually, it is very relevant; as the AA employee found her attire to be not appropriate and against the Contract of Carriage. Remember: an airplane is still a private property, and the owner or operator can set their own rules.

SonomaFlyer wrote:

Please explain how it adds context to know she's an MD. Does that mean she's superior to others? Does it mean she can be above the rules established by the airline?

SonomaFlyer wrote:

Well seeing as the airline immediately apologized, the owner has spoken and it was in her favor.

jdstJD

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:37 pm

SonomaFlyer wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

Yes. And I was on another site of similar subject matter the other day where a thread was started on this and one of the members called this lady “a pig of a woman” and in another thread called a thin blonde white woman in a picture within the thread who had no curves “a cute girl.” So a black woman with curves is seen as a pig and a thin white woman with no curves is “cute”. :roll:
Last edited by jdstJD on Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lawyer, frequent air traveler and aviation enthusiast.

WayexTDI

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:37 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:

SonomaFlyer wrote:

SonomaFlyer wrote:

Well seeing as the airline immediately apologized, the owner has spoken and it was in her favor.

We are in 2019, not 1959. Companies cannot side publicly with their employees, or they'll be flamed down by the social media "justice".
Unless the airline reprimanded the employee (even if just a discussion), then it's their way to save face towards the public.

Brickell305

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:39 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

We are in 2019, not 1959. Companies cannot side publicly with their employees, or they'll be flamed down by the social media "justice".
Unless the airline reprimanded the employee (even if just a discussion), then it's their way to save face towards the public.

It doesn’t matter their reason. The owner spoke and they sided with her.

YoungDon

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:43 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

SonomaFlyer wrote:

SonomaFlyer wrote:

Please. I flew AA in and out of Miami from the Caribbean on Sunday and saw l less covering outfits than this on two separate flights. (And I was paying particular attention only because this incident happened last week.) One lady even had on a bikini top on the inbound, but she was in no way, shape, or form curvaceous. That's really what this is about.

This is on the crew of that flight - for whatever reason some member or members of that crew couldn't handle her (fully covered up) curves. That's it.

Worrying about stupid stuff like this is just another reason why AA is so terrible these days. Sunday was my last flight on them until Parker is out and they change some specific policies that are incredibly customer-unfriendly. I'm tired of them and their continuous foolishness. They are basically Spirit with reclining seats and worse customer service at this point.

EC135C

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:46 pm

She has no class. Just an attention grabbing wannbe. Kick her off.

WayexTDI

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:47 pm

Brickell305 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Brickell305 wrote:

It doesn’t matter their reason. The owner spoke and they sided with her.

Actually, the owner didn't speak, as American Airlines is a publicly traded company.

And the reason DOES matter: accept it or not, in this day and age, social media "justice" is extremely powerful, and a lot of time extremely damaging.
So, American did damage control which was to "sacrifice" their employee on public place. But I'd be extremely surprised if this employee faced actual consequences behind closed doors.

YellowJ

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:48 pm

Exeiowa wrote:
I dont see anything wrong with it, not my personal taste. Where is a line drawn? How much clevage can you show? What about cycling shorts?

From wearing cycling shorts while cycling across Britain, I learnt two things 1 - Wales must be quite dull, and 2 - what it is like to be a women when men are staring and not at your face.

Rompers don't show cleavage so that should not have been and was not the problem, judging by the picture.

The only thing I can see she has curves on her hip; so the fabric contoured to her bottom half more closely. Still nothing that required her to be de-boarded; especially since her hip was going to be planted in the seat and out of site the entire flight.

DenverTed

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:50 pm

What was their policy, "offensive"? Right, define offensive. I hope they get sued for millions every time for such a subjective policy.
IMO, in today's world, any dress code has to be gender neutral, and define specific areas of skin which need to be covered with opaque clothing. How tight can clothing be? Whatever. What colors? Whatever. How would you regulate most things? Images and words on shirts? Where would the airlines draw the line? They have to be pretty specific, or pay out for being arbitrary and capricious in enforcement.

smokeybandit

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:51 pm

To be fair, was the presentation of the outfit like that when she was on the plane? Or was it a bit more sultry then?

fedex1

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:52 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
SonomaFlyer wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

SonomaFlyer wrote:

SonomaFlyer wrote:

Well said to all of your points! I could careless she’s a doctor, or what skin color she is. You said it best. It’s a private company, not government. . . . They can make and set rules as loosely as they want or as strict as they want. You can also choose to fly them if you want or pick another airline. Give her a refund and let her go AA if she “violated” your rules. Pretty simple.

DenverTed

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:54 pm

If AA had a dress code with shoulder straps, they could have won. No bandeau or mandeau tops.

How much exposed back or stomachs do airlines want? Some gyms require a tank top and no exposed skin. Just write a policy.
No exposed skin on the torso below the chest, or whatever. In which case Madonna and those dudes would not be in compliance.
Last edited by DenverTed on Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

fedex1

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:55 pm

[list=][/list]
smokeybandit wrote:
To be fair, was the presentation of the outfit like that when she was on the plane? Or was it a bit more sultry then?

But they once again, you will have to have employees “policing” their passengers to make sure their dress code is be enforced, and once again your asking a human to define, and decide what is offensive and what’s not.

trex8

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:58 pm

Lots of people I've seen on hawaiian interisland planes need to be deboarded!!'

Brickell305

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:00 am

smokeybandit wrote:

If all she had to do was change the way the outfit was presented, there’d have been no need for her to cover up with a blanket.

Brickell305

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:01 am

YellowJ wrote:
Exeiowa wrote:

Rompers don't show cleavage so that should not have been and was not the problem, judging by the picture.

The only thing I can see she has curves on her hip; so the fabric contoured to her bottom half more closely. Still nothing that required her to be de-boarded; especially since her hip was going to be planted in the seat and out of site the entire flight.

Exactly. There was absolutely nothing overly revealing or “offensive” about the outfit.

stl07

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:06 am

EC135C wrote:

Since when was classiness a requirement to fly?
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

DenverTed

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:08 am

trex8 wrote:

Who goes barefoot in an airplane lav? I'm not a clean freak, but that one caught my attention.

MaverickM11

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:10 am

Why is the crew even getting involved in policing outfits?
E pur si muove -Galileo

WayexTDI

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:12 am

stl07 wrote:
EC135C wrote:

Every time you step into a private property; the owner or operator can kick you out if they feel your classiness (or lack thereof) is contrary to company values or rules.

BWA900

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:16 am

WHO ARE ANY OF YOU TO TELL A WOMAN HOW TO DRESS? Having lived in the Caribbean, women of such voluptuous beauty can be seen at every second of the day. If it is a case that she has been blessed with such a body and not you or whoever you may be associated with, who's fault is that? Most of these comments are extremely sad and repulsive. Moderators continue to turn a blind eye to such folly!
Flown: A300 A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A359 A388 B712 B735 B737 B738 B739 B38M B744 B752 B753 B763 B772ER B772LR B77W B788 B789 CRJ2 CRJ7 CRJ9 DH8A DH8B DH8D E145 E170 E190

stl07

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:18 am

WayexTDI wrote:
stl07 wrote:
EC135C wrote:

Every time you step into a private property; the owner or operator can kick you out if they feel your classiness (or lack thereof) is contrary to company values or rules.

This isn't a sit down restaurant
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

WayexTDI

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:20 am

BWA900 wrote:
WHO ARE ANY OF YOU TO TELL A WOMAN HOW TO DRESS? Having lived in the Caribbean, women of such voluptuous beauty can be seen at every second of the day. If it is a case that she has been blessed with such a body and not you or whoever you may be associated with, who's fault is that? Most of these comments are extremely sad and repulsive. Moderators continue to turn a blind eye to such folly!

WHO ARE YOU TO TELL US WHAT TO THINK? Some of us have an opinion (that's contrary to your obviously) and are not forcing it down your throat as you're trying to.

Again, she stepped onto a private property; as such, she has to abide by the rules set by the property owner or operator.
WHO ARE YOU TO TELL AA WHAT THEY CAN AND CAN'T DO ON THEIR OWN METAL? See how one can use your own train of thoughts against you?

September11

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:21 am

The flight must be completely full
Airliners.net of the Future

WayexTDI

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:26 am

stl07 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
stl07 wrote:

This isn't a sit down restaurant

And? It's still a private property with set rules.
Why would it be different between an airplane and a restaurant?

AtomicGarden

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:29 am

I see better dressed people at the supermarket, but I don't find this outfit reason enough to kick her out. However, really, people should try to look more respectable when flying and when in public in general. I'm not gonna force them to wear anything and certainly not gonna treat them as less than humans, and also not an advocate of returning to suits and dresses. But c'mon...

DenverTed wrote:
trex8 wrote:

Who goes barefoot in an airplane lav? I'm not a clean freak, but that one caught my attention.

Too freakin' many! unless you don't consider socks as barefoot.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

continental004

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:32 am

First of all, there is nothing wrong with that lady’s outfit and anyone who thinks otherwise can go back to the 50s with their “standards of dress.”

Also how gay am I to instantly recognize Cazwell in the pic of guys below the Queen of the Retirement Home?

WayexTDI

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:34 am

continental004 wrote:
First of all, there is nothing wrong with that lady’s outfit and anyone who thinks otherwise can go back to the 50s with their “standards of dress.”

So, "my way or the highway"? What are you doing on a discussion forum then?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos