caleeiii
Topic Author

What’s happening at BHM?

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:27 pm

Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport on Facebook:

We have some HUGE news coming later this week! We're super excited about it and we know you will be too! #StayTuned #FlyBHM

Q

Re: What’s happening at BHM?

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:32 pm

London-Birmingham, AL British Airways nonstop 787 twice a week. Isn't? My guess if I was right or wrong. Wait and see. LOL

Q

NolaMD88fan

Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:51 pm

Probably NK. Seems like a good market for them to hit up the leisure routes.

msycajun

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:22 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:

That was my first thought as well, but I wonder if it might be G4. Apparently the rumor is they're announcing new bases at BNA and ABE and expansion at others (if it hasn't been announced already), so a new city would fit in with that.

AntonioMartin

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:25 am

msycajun wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

That was my first thought as well, but I wonder if it might be G4. Apparently the rumor is they're announcing new bases at BNA and ABE and expansion at others (if it hasn't been announced already), so a new city would fit in with that.

They WOULD get excited about NK or G4 at Birmingham...LOL

Ionosphere

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:36 am

Southern Airways Express to VPS lol

MIflyer12

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:54 am

NolaMD88fan wrote:

Orlando? Wouldn't many in the leisure crowd just drive that? Las Vegas?

Lemieux

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:55 am

I'll guess NK to LAX, just for fun lmao

Edit: or FLL
Full time internet idiot. A319/20/20NEO/21/332/333, Boeing 733/734/737/738/752/753/762/763/772/773/788/789, CR2/7/9, de Havilland DHC-8, Embraer 140/145/175/190, MD82/88.

SurfandSnow

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:00 am

Could this be international service? Would AC ever fly to BHM? Perhaps WN would add seasonal weekly nonstop flights to CUN?
Flying in the middle seat of coach is much better than not flying at all!

Fargo

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:05 am

msycajun wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

Where did you hear that from? I doubt BNA will be a base for them considering the large WN station.

Gulfstream500

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:05 am

<Enable Sarcasm>

OR.... they're becoming the official sponsor of airliners.net!

<Disable Sarcasm>

DL to MSP, or NK to FLL/MYR/LAS (MYR seems like it would be interesting, nobody serves that yet)

Or, somebody (Contour?) has decided to replace Via's routes at BHM
Can someone please start a wikipedia list of failed startup airlines? I am interested in seeing just how long it would be...

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:16 am

I can see NK in this market, if only because G4's presence has been so limited in recent years across this part of the Southeastern U.S. except for destination markets.

jplatts

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:21 am

caleeiii wrote:
Birmingham-Shuttlesworth International Airport on Facebook:

We have some HUGE news coming later this week! We're super excited about it and we know you will be too! #StayTuned #FlyBHM

While WN doesn't have its next schedule extension until August 15th, WN adding BHM-DEN nonstop service is a possibility since WN is still expanding at DEN and since BHM is one of the largest WN stations that doesn't have nonstop service to DEN on WN.

WN re-adding BHM-STL nonstop service is also a possibility since WN re-added a few other previously discontinued routes out of STL such as STL-CLE, STL-LIT, and STL-SLC.

Midwestindy

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:29 am

I smell the F9 dartboard
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

CIDFlyer

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:39 am

Fargo wrote:
msycajun wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

Where did you hear that from? I doubt BNA will be a base for them considering the large WN station.

I don’t see why BNA couldn’t be a base for G4. LAS is a base and big WN station, as is AUS. Their routes and passengers really don’t overlap and BNA is already a destination city that grew more with added routes this summer

globalflyer

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:56 am

No F9... sorry friends...
Landing on every Continent almost on an annual basis!

TYSflyer

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:01 am

The return of Via?

Joking aside there is nothing that says for sure it is an air service announcement although I don’t know what else from an airport that would be considered “huge” news. I am going out on a limb and saying DL to LAX. DL is obviously large in the market and traveling west requires backtracking through ATL.

southwest1675

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:24 am

I say AA or DL to LAX...
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

FlyKBHM

Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:40 am

I'll be there in the morning and poke around. It's my home airport so I'll be very interested to hear the announcement. That said, many "BIG ANNOUNCEMENTS" have turned out to be nothing in the end (an experience certainly not unique to BHM) - airlines that never entered service, weekly services on scheduled charters that disappeared in months, etc.

BHM does have 65+ scheduled mainline and regional airliner departures a day, so it is not exactly a backwater. There is not current, scheduled international passenger service but the facilities and staffing are available and not-infrequently used by private jets, charters, and cargo operations. I doubt a new domestic route from an incumbent carrier would get this PR treatment (maybe BOS, LAX, or LAS would?). The major business markets east of the Mississippi are generally well covered with non-stops by at least one carrier.

Best guess: Spirit or Allegiant is opening up some "sun" routes to the Caribbean from a common-use A gate. I'll be taking bets at the shoe shine stand for how long any such routes last.
More intriguing: B6 starts filling in the mid(ish)-South with 2 daily flights to BOS; afternoon flight timed to connect to PM LON departure.
Moon shot (passenger): State-supported 3x weekly 757 service to Germany on (????) to support Alabama-European auto industries. We just had a visit from the German Federal Minister of Economic Affairs and Energy, Peter Altmaier: https://twitter.com/BHMAirport/status/1 ... 6095333377
Moon shot (industry): Tier 1 aerospace supplier expanding operations to the airport to support Airbus Mobile, AL FAL and/or Boeing/United Launch Alliance in Decatur, AL.

I'm sure I'm wrong with the above guesses...but it's fun to speculate. Stay tuned!

westgate

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:44 am

Slightly off topic, but looking at the 1999 OAG North American timetable on Departed Flights, BHM used to have a lot more service to other southern cities that have now all but dissapeared, with the only ones left being the mega-hubs of ATL and CLT and destinations in Texas and Florida. There used to be multiple daily non-stop mainline flights to MSY (up to 7 daily on WN !!! What happened there?), MEM (NW), BNA (WN), SDF (WN) and even 3 x daily mainline on DL to JAN, on an M80, 727 and 757 !!! And even an oddball daily flight to BTR on a DL 727.

I suppose these distances were just too short to compete effectively with driving ? But if anyone wants to fly to another southern city nowadays other than Atlanta or Charlotte they have no choice but to connect in either of those places.

There also use to be multiple daily flights to CVG (DL), PIT (US) and STL (TW), although these were mostly on RJ's/props. Obviously these routes routes were terminated when those hubs closed, which would likely be the reason for the loss of MEM flights too.
Last edited by westgate on Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:58 am, edited 3 times in total.

SierraPacific

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:54 am

If I had to guess I could see either Spirit or Contour starting up flights.

If I had to go crazy talk WN to PHX for west coast connections

ctrabs0114

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:06 am

Fargo wrote:
msycajun wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

IINM, G4 has an operating base at OAK, which is a major WN station/base. I don't think the growing WN station at BNA would be enough to deter them from setting up a base there, but they fact that they have an existing operating base at TYS might be more of a reason to not establish BNA as a base (unless they're planning to move the TYS base to BNA).
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)

ctrabs0114

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:08 am

CIDFlyer wrote:
I don’t see why BNA couldn’t be a base for G4. LAS is a base and big WN station, as is AUS. Their routes and passengers really don’t overlap and BNA is already a destination city that grew more with added routes this summer

Presuming G4 is considering a base at BNA, wouldn't that affect operations at the existing G4 base at TYS?
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)

777Mech

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:00 am

Probably gonna be G4 with service to LAS now that WN is gone from the route.

TYSflyer

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:38 am

ctrabs0114 wrote:
CIDFlyer wrote:

Presuming G4 is considering a base at BNA, wouldn't that affect operations at the existing G4 base at TYS?

According to Allegiant pilot forum, BNA has already been announced internally as a base. Further, additional aircraft will be based at both TYS and AVL so BNA will have no impact for now on TYS.

MIflyer12

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:24 am

westgate wrote:
Slightly off topic, but looking at the 1999 OAG North American timetable on Departed Flights, BHM used to have a lot more service to other southern cities that have now all but dissapeared, with the only ones left being the mega-hubs of ATL and CLT and destinations in Texas and Florida. There used to be multiple daily non-stop mainline flights to MSY (up to 7 daily on WN !!! What happened there?), MEM (NW), BNA (WN), SDF (WN) and even 3 x daily mainline on DL to JAN, on an M80, 727 and 757 !!! And even an oddball daily flight to BTR on a DL 727.

What happened? Well, the end of the MEM hub, obviously. The end of milk runs in favor of hub-point-hub flights. The decline of short-haul except in a few very high frequency markets due to change fees (except WN) and long/unpredictable security waits. WN's avg stage length went up year after year. People will just drive MEM/BNA/MSY-BHM today.

southwest1675

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:36 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
westgate wrote:

What happened? Well, the end of the MEM hub, obviously. The end of milk runs in favor of hub-point-hub flights. The decline of short-haul except in a few very high frequency markets due to change fees (except WN) and long/unpredictable security waits. WN's avg stage length went up year after year. People will just drive MEM/BNA/MSY-BHM today.

Back in the Wright Amendment days, WN funneled a lot of traffic through BHM to get to DAL.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

pdp

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:25 pm

BHX to BHM, you heard it here first folks! ;)

EvanWSFO

Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:50 pm

Fargo wrote:
msycajun wrote:
NolaMD88fan wrote:

Their route map show BNA as a hublet, or whatever they call them. Of course that doesn't mean a lot. It is a popular tourist destination.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:14 pm

ctrabs0114 wrote:
CIDFlyer wrote:

Shocked G4 hasn't made MEM a base.

ATLgaUSA

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:14 pm

My guess is service to one of BOS (DL), LAS (Frontier or Spirit), LAX (DL or AA), or SFO (UA). I think Vegas is the most likely.

WaywardMemphian

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:18 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
westgate wrote:

I-22 happened on the MEM/BHM front. The only major sticking point is that it wasn't continued up to I -240 via the Lamar Ave corridor. Talk about a near straight shot to MEM is MEM ever got TATL service for blees from BHM/HSV areas via the 4 lane divided highways now.

Would love to see I-22 extended across Arkansas all the way to Tulsa using a combo of I-555 and upgraded US 412.

caleeiii
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:28 pm

Since we are thinking big, how about:

Alaska
BHM-SEA
BHM-SFO

Bluegrass60

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Not "BIG...but would love to see LUV return SDF-BHM to the schedule.

Bluegrass60

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Not "BIG...but would love to see LUV return SDF-BHM to the schedule.

FlyKBHM

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:55 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
westgate wrote:

The above is spot-on. MEM and CVG flights closed with the NW-DL merger. WN changed their route structure with the end of the Wright Amendment which had driven a lot of the WN flights to BNA, SDF, and other oddballs. Not a whole lot of O&D between BHM and those destinations on the 5 stop WN flights of the day. The one flight people really want back is WN BHM-MSY. There are significant and long-term cultural, economic, medical, and tourism ties between Birmingham and New Orleans dating back to the late 1800s construction of the present-day Norfolk Southern rail line direct between the cities, which is largely paralleled by I-59 today; many in the post-Katrina diaspora settled here too. The drive is doable at about 5 hours but a lot of people still would like to fly.

Bluegrass60

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:59 pm

MDW-SDF-BHM-MSY would be perfect

westgate

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:03 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
westgate wrote:

I asked what happened specifically in relation to the MSY flights. To go from 7 x daily 20 years ago to zero today seems odd. Unless they were funneling pax through BHM to MSY like another poster said they were doing with DAL. It's still over a 5 hour drive from Birmingham to New Orleans so I'm surprised there's no market there at all anymore. Maybe the effects of Katrina had something to do with it ?

And are you saying that the 3 x daily mainline flights between JAN and BHM were part of a milk run ? JAN itself had 5 x daily non-stop mainline flights on DL to ATL back then so no need to fly through BHM to get to ATL. I also would have assumed that the days of milk runs were long gone by 1999, almost 20 years after de-regulation.

It's certainly no surprise that there's no traffic demand between Birmingham and Jackson nowadays, but more a question as to why there was so much back then.

And considering all the factors as to why people would rather drive short distances nowadays, then why on earth are there 11 x daily mainline flights from BHM to ATL. That certainly seems like a lot of passenger traffic to an airport that's only a 2 hour drive away !!!

FlyKBHM wrote:
The one flight people really want back is WN BHM-MSY. There are significant and long-term cultural, economic, medical, and tourism ties between Birmingham and New Orleans dating back to the late 1800s construction of the present-day Norfolk Southern rail line direct between the cities, which is largely paralleled by I-59 today; many in the post-Katrina diaspora settled here too. The drive is doable at about 5 hours but a lot of people still would like to fly.

This is what I had suspected, that there's still very much a viable air market between these two cities considering how much service existed 20 years ago.

AVLAirlineFreq

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:29 pm

westgate wrote:

And are you saying that the 3 x daily mainline flights between JAN and BHM were part of a milk run ? JAN itself had 5 x daily non-stop mainline flights on DL to ATL back then so no need to fly through BHM to get to ATL. I also would have assumed that the days of milk runs were long gone by 1999, almost 20 years after de-regulation.

It's certainly no surprise that there's no traffic demand between Birmingham and Jackson nowadays, but more a question as to why there was so much back then.

DL continued operating variants of the DFW-SHV-MLU-JAN-BHM-ATL milkrun for many years long after deregulation, almost right up to when the airline closed the DFW hub in 2004.

ScottB

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:31 pm

westgate wrote:

I suppose these distances were just too short to compete effectively with driving ? But if anyone wants to fly to another southern city nowadays other than Atlanta or Charlotte they have no choice but to connect in either of those places.

DL's route structure changed quite a bit with the introduction of RJs and the closure of the DFW hub. Back in the oldish days, DL would run triangle routes like ATL-BHM-BTR-ATL or milk run routes like ATL-BHM-JAN-DFW. This allowed them to offer more frequent service on mainline aircraft in smaller markets; however, RJ's make those service patterns unnecessary.

The WN service also hearkens back to their old multi-stop milk runs. WN would run things like AUS-HOU-MSY-BHM-JAX-FLL and that made frequent service in short-haul markets like MSY-BHM more workable.

southwest1675 wrote:
Back in the Wright Amendment days, WN funneled a lot of traffic through BHM to get to DAL.

Back in the Wright Amendment days, WN wasn't allowed to sell DAL-BHM. The Shelby Amendment later allowed WN to offer non-stop service (well, they were always allowed to fly non-stop, they just couldn't sell tickets for the service) from DAL to MS, AL, and KS, although it took quite a long time for WN to eventually add DAL-BHM non-stop flights. The MSY-BHM flights did see a fair bit of Wright-buster traffic as passengers would work around the Wright Amendment restrictions by purchasing two separate itineraries for DAL-MSY and MSY-BHM.

EvanWSFO

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:36 pm

ScottB wrote:
westgate wrote:

DL's route structure changed quite a bit with the introduction of RJs and the closure of the DFW hub. Back in the oldish days, DL would run triangle routes like ATL-BHM-BTR-ATL or milk run routes like ATL-BHM-JAN-DFW. This allowed them to offer more frequent service on mainline aircraft in smaller markets; however, RJ's make those service patterns unnecessary.

The WN service also hearkens back to their old multi-stop milk runs. WN would run things like AUS-HOU-MSY-BHM-JAX-FLL and that made frequent service in short-haul markets like MSY-BHM more workable.

southwest1675 wrote:

Back in the Wright Amendment days, WN wasn't allowed to sell DAL-BHM. The Shelby Amendment later allowed WN to offer non-stop service (well, they were always allowed to fly non-stop, they just couldn't sell tickets for the service) from DAL to MS, AL, and KS, although it took quite a long time for WN to eventually add DAL-BHM non-stop flights. The MSY-BHM flights did see a fair bit of Wright-buster traffic as passengers would work around the Wright Amendment restrictions by purchasing two separate itineraries for DAL-MSY and MSY-BHM.

There was a work-around the W.A. restrictions - buy 2 tickets. I flew DAL-HOU-BNA once shortly after WN started Nashville. Technically you had to wait four hours at HOU, but they didn't enforce it in either direction.
I have been on this site 15 years. A unrecoverable email account led me to starting over. Those of you who call me a rookie, you may stop ok?

ScottB

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:52 pm

EvanWSFO wrote:
There was a work-around the W.A. restrictions - buy 2 tickets. I flew DAL-HOU-BNA once shortly after WN started Nashville. Technically you had to wait four hours at HOU, but they didn't enforce it in either direction.

I don't think there was ever a waiting period; they just couldn't check your luggage through so you'd need to collect any checked bags at the intermediate point and then check in again. You could, however, fly between DAL and any point in the system on a Rapid Rewards ticket because free tickets weren't considered "for compensation or hire."

FlyKBHM

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:53 pm

Live from BHM, we were all wrong.

BHM introduced the CLEAR airport security lane today with a soft opening. A bigger PR push will be Thursday.

I used it just now, worked great; just not the announcement we were hoping for on this site.

Bluegrass60

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:56 pm

westgate - "And considering all the factors as to why people would rather drive short distances nowadays, then why on earth are there 11 x daily mainline flights from BHM to ATL. That certainly seems like a lot of passenger traffic to an airport that's only a 2 hour drive away !!"

- that explains lots of service to/fr ATL....it is not the O&D...it is the connections via ATL

Bluegrass60

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:57 pm

CLEAR airport security lane - gigantic waste of money

jplatts

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:57 pm

ScottB wrote:

WN actually did sell 1-stop connecting flights between DAL and BHM through HOU subsequent to the enactment of the Shelby Amendment in 1997 but prior to WN starting BHM-DAL nonstop service in 2007.

The through-ticketing restrictions of the Wright Amendment were eliminated with the enactment of the Wright Amendment Reform Act of 2006, and WN could offer 1-stop connecting service from DAL to domestic destinations that couldn't be served nonstop from DAL under Wright Amendment restrictions subsequent to the enactment of WARA but prior to full repeal of the Wright Amendment on October 13, 2014.

westgate

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:10 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
westgate - "And considering all the factors as to why people would rather drive short distances nowadays, then why on earth are there 11 x daily mainline flights from BHM to ATL. That certainly seems like a lot of passenger traffic to an airport that's only a 2 hour drive away !!"

- that explains lots of service to/fr ATL....it is not the O&D...it is the connections via ATL

Oh I know it's connecting traffic that fills those flights, but then again, why bother with taking such a short flight from BHM to ATL, when you can just drive straight to ATL in 2 hours ?

How many other similar airport pairs in the US have 11 mainline flights per day between them when it takes only 2 hours to drive that same distance ?

Bluegrass60

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:51 pm

westgate - the short answer is...if DL did not have 11 mainline flights from BHM to ATL....DL would lose all those passengers/revenue who would get on all the mainline/rj's that would be added by AA or UA to their respective hubs from BHM. The longer [email protected] hour drive or less from any major hub in the US you will find the same thing.

FlyKBHM

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:06 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
westgate - the short answer is...if DL did not have 11 mainline flights from BHM to ATL....DL would lose all those passengers/revenue who would get on all the mainline/rj's that would be added by AA or UA to their respective hubs from BHM. The longer [email protected] hour drive or less from any major hub in the US you will find the same thing.

While Google Maps says two hours to drive, the home front door to airline gate story is much different. BHM is close to downtown and the more affluent suburbs, has a parking deck steps from the terminal, very minimal TSA wait times, and most of all, is predictable. Driving to ATL for often minimal airfare savings introduces a whole lot of risk and variables that can be avoided by flying BHM from within the catchment area which includes much of western Alabama and eastern Mississippi. DL operates similar distance flights from ATL to HSV, CHA, AGS, and Columbus, GA for the same reasons.

ScottB

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:32 pm

westgate wrote:
why bother with taking such a short flight from BHM to ATL, when you can just drive straight to ATL in 2 hours ?

Parking at BHM is cheaper and more convenient, and an Uber/Lyft to BHM is an option if you live in the area. If you're already checked in, you can arrive at BHM 30-45 min before scheduled departure and still make your flight; that's not really possible at ATL.

It's basically like asking why anyone would fly anywhere out of BDL when BOS and the NYC airports are "2 hours away."

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos