mcdu
Topic Author

WN stops pilot hiring and upgrades due to MAX

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:49 pm

Starting to see the impact of the MAX at Southwest in pilot hiring and upgrade classes. Think this is a combination of WN doesn’t have great numbers of pilots retiring combined with their future plans tied to the MAX. With no new aircraft in the pipeline they have to halt training. If the plane doesn’t fly until after the first of the year I could see these classes being postponed even further out.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/16/boeing-737-max-grounding-hits-southwests-pilot-hiring.html

kiowa

Re: WN stops pilot hiring and upgrades due to MAX

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:17 pm

the article says that southwest is the largest Max operator with 34 aircraft grounded. I would assume they have many more on order that they are not taking right now.

kabq737

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:52 pm

I would be curious to know if the other US3 are seeing an increase in applications or an increase in the size of their hiring pool since Southwest is not taking any new pilots right now.

Do we think that this will impact the regional carriers flow/exit rates?
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
Airliners.net Forum Moderator

lightsaber

Wed Jul 17, 2019 3:56 pm

kabq737 wrote:
I would be curious to know if the other US3 are seeing an increase in applications or an increase in the size of their hiring pool since Southwest is not taking any new pilots right now.

Well, UA and AA will have an issue to a reduced degree.

As WN requires a 737 cert, I think this is hurting right seat pilots at the airlines notorious for training copilot's (LionAir).

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

mcdu
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:00 pm

kiowa wrote:
the article says that southwest is the largest Max operator with 34 aircraft grounded. I would assume they have many more on order that they are not taking right now.

I believe you are correct. So the problem gets exponentially worse for potential new hires and upgrades. I also wonder if Southwest knows that the FAA is going to mandate mandatory Simulator training in the MAX once it is returned to flying status? If so getting everyone qualified that is currently on the property will be the pressing issue.

readytotaxi

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:10 pm

Do Southwest have their own simulators or do they rent space, that could delay a prompt return to service?
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

kabq737

Wed Jul 17, 2019 4:57 pm

lightsaber wrote:
kabq737 wrote:

As WN requires a 737 cert, I think this is hurting right seat pilots at the airlines notorious for training copilot's (LionAir).

Lightsaber

When you say they require a 737 cert are you saying that WN won't hire unless the applicant already holds a 737 type rating?
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
Airliners.net Forum Moderator

FLIHGH

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:02 pm

kabq737 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
kabq737 wrote:

Lightsaber

When you say they require a 737 cert are you saying that WN won't hire unless the applicant already holds a 737 type rating?

That’s an old thing. The type rating is no longer a requirement.

DiamondFlyer

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:03 pm

kabq737 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
kabq737 wrote:

Lightsaber

It used to be you had to have a 737 type to interview, then it became you had to have a 737 type to show up for class. Now a 737 type is not required to be hired at SWA
From my cold, dead hands

bigb

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:05 pm

Southwest no longer requires the 737 type

RetiredNWA

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:21 pm

Nearly every response to this thread is completely irrelevant.

Southwest does not require a 737 type rating to be hired as a First Officer.

Contrary to popular belief, recruiters from other companies are not holding out a “sign” for the potential Southwest First Officers that do not have class dates due to the MAX grounding.

Also, it would behoove most of you posters to do something called “reading between the lines”...these multi-billion dollar airline companies that are written about with perceived snippets of knowledge from the a.net community do not manage their legal, financial, brand structure or corporate communications the way prescribed here. Southwest is attempting to mitigate bad press by taking a hard-line stance on the MAX’s deficiencies; pending litigation will reveal that Southwest, publicly may say one thing - internally, and while colluding with Boeing, they are saying and doing the exact opposite.

This entire MAX dilemma is far worse than just a “software bug” - and trust me, Southwest does not care about new-hire FO’s.

32andBelow

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:23 pm

kabq737 wrote:

Most people apply to every major airline. Which is why when people cite the number of pilot applicants in the country it’s a bs number.

planecane

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:40 pm

Weren't they going to start retiring some old -700s with the MAX deliveries? I know they are down the 34 that were in service but I don't think they were planning on growing the fleet that much.

ScottB

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:44 pm

kabq737 wrote:

I would expect the answer is probably no; if a prospective applicant really wants to work for WN, they'll stick it out at OO/YX/CP/etc. for the extra several months. If they don't care so much about which of the Big 4 hires them, they're already applying to the others. I'd also expect that AA & UA would have slowed hiring somewhat given that they were expecting new 737-MAX aircraft as part of their fleet expansion/renewal plans.

enilria

Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:48 pm

mcdu wrote:
kiowa wrote:

I believe you are correct. So the problem gets exponentially worse for potential new hires and upgrades. I also wonder if Southwest knows that the FAA is going to mandate mandatory Simulator training in the MAX once it is returned to flying status? If so getting everyone qualified that is currently on the property will be the pressing issue.

It's going to be a huge effort just to get these planes airworthy again and the pilots current. I think people imagine they will all just start flying again on a set date. I suspect it will be phased in over maybe 1 or 2 months. Hopefully these planes were properly pickled. Not flying can do more damage to a plane than flying it. I'm now hearing May 2020 is the new date that is being whispered.

airportugal310

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:09 pm

enilria wrote:
mcdu wrote:
kiowa wrote:

It's going to be a huge effort just to get these planes airworthy again and the pilots current. I think people imagine they will all just start flying again on a set date. I suspect it will be phased in over maybe 1 or 2 months. Hopefully these planes were properly pickled. Not flying can do more damage to a plane than flying it. I'm now hearing May 2020 is the new date that is being whispered.

Per my sources at VCV, that work on the WN aircraft in question, the engines on each aircraft need to be run every 10 days or so. What that entails as far as time they need to run, I don't know and didn't ask. But there were several out there while I was on the ramp that were running engines. Can't speak to the airframe itself, however. They looked well "pickled"
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

planecane

Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:16 pm

enilria wrote:
mcdu wrote:
kiowa wrote:

Obviously some time will be required to get them back into service. Once the grounding is lifted I'd assume they will get them back in the air ASAP. The first few will be added as spares and they'll slowly put them back into the schedule over a couple of months as they become available.

Although you'd think the aircraft need to be stored in the desert, Boeing isn't storing the ones they can't deliver in very dry places.

enilria

Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:19 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
Per my sources at VCV, that work on the WN aircraft in question, the engines on each aircraft need to be run every 10 days or so. What that entails as far as time they need to run, I don't know and didn't ask. But there were several out there while I was on the ramp that were running engines. Can't speak to the airframe itself, however. They looked well "pickled"

That's a decent sign. I wonder how many of the aircraft's system can be kept alive with a run-up? For example, does not using the landing gear for a year create problems? I'd think so.
planecane wrote:
Obviously some time will be required to get them back into service. Once the grounding is lifted I'd assume they will get them back in the air ASAP. The first few will be added as spares and they'll slowly put them back into the schedule over a couple of months as they become available.

Agreed

ODwyerPW

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:12 pm

Couldn't it just be something as simple as WN suspects EASA and FAA will mandate additional training / classes? They want to hold off on sim and differences classes until the new requirements are defined. They don't want to hire new pilots, put them through the paces... only to have to put them through the paces again as requirements change. Seems logical just to put all of this activity on hold for a few months.
learning never stops.

Erau82

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:55 pm

Boeing provides in the 737 Aircraft Maintenance Manual (Chapter 11) a storage procedure when the aircraft is planned to be parked more than 7 days. There are servicing and check requirements scheduled with intervals from 7-180 days. And the days parked count for calendar based maintenance requirements - the landing gear overhaul interval for example is 21,000 cycles or 10 years, whichever occurs first and the clock starts from delivery so any Max delivered and stored by an operator will need to get a waiver on the lost days. There is also a procedure for returning an aircraft from storage.

INFINITI329

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:18 pm

ODwyerPW wrote:
Couldn't it just be something as simple as WN suspects EASA and FAA will mandate additional training / classes? They want to hold off on sim and differences classes until the new requirements are defined. They don't want to hire new pilots, put them through the paces... only to have to put them through the paces again as requirements change. Seems logical just to put all of this activity on hold for a few months.

There will be additional training regardless. The big question will it be again computer-based or sim

Among American, Southwest, & United, Southwest is the biggest loser here. Not only because they are the largest Max operator, but they also lack the ability to shift capacity with larger planes, a benefit that United & American have to soften the Max grounding

mcdu
Topic Author

Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:10 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
ODwyerPW wrote:

There will be additional training regardless. The big question will it be again computer-based or sim

Among American, Southwest, & United, Southwest is the biggest loser here. Not only because they are the largest Max operator, but they also lack the ability to shift capacity with larger planes, a benefit that United & American have to soften the Max grounding

So very true. The all eggs in one airplane type basket is a problem for this very reason. Southwest had so many of them in service and the future deliveries were all MAX aircraft. This grounding also quells any expansion and also had the added hit of creating lots of disgruntled passengers with those last minute cancels coming on the heels of the maintenance implosion prior to the MAX grounding.

Maybe WN is hedging on being found guilty in the collusion case. Perhaps they know there might be evidence to support a guilty verdict and know it will have a significant cost/liability.

HP69

Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:55 pm

I think WN was sort of in a bind here. No good options.

jplatts

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:17 am

mcdu wrote:
INFINITI329 wrote:

So very true. The all eggs in one airplane type basket is a problem for this very reason. Southwest had so many of them in service and the future deliveries were all MAX aircraft. This grounding also quells any expansion and also had the added hit of creating lots of disgruntled passengers with those last minute cancels coming on the heels of the maintenance implosion prior to the MAX grounding.

HP69 wrote:
I think WN was sort of in a bind here. No good options.

I agree that WN is currently in a worse situation than AA, UA, and AS since WN currently only operates the 737-700 and 737-800 planes and since WN currently only has orders for 737 MAX 7 and 737 MAX 8 planes.

While AA will face a plane shortage in its narrowbody mainline fleet this fall with the retirement of its MD-80 planes and the 737 MAX groundings, AA already has orders for a few more used A319's and some more new A321neo's.

UA isn't as adversely affected by the 737 MAX groundings since UA had fewer 737 MAX planes in its fleet than AA or WN did prior to the 737 MAX groundings. UA also has orders for used A319's, A320's, and 737-700's.

While AS was originally scheduled to take delivery of 737 MAX 9 planes this year, these deliveries have been delayed by the 737 MAX grounding. AS also hasn't yet taken delivery of 737 MAX planes, whereas WN, AA, and UA were all operating 737 MAX planes prior to the 737 MAX grounding. AS is also currently scheduled to take delivery of some A320neo planes next year from an order that was inherited through the AS-VX merger.

Dieuwer

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:25 am

If the MAX saga shows you one thing, then it is that you should never allow yourself to be a slave of just one aircraft manufacturer. And certainly not just one aircraft type.
Diversify, diversify!

asteriskceo

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:45 am

Seems to me this is the ripest time that it’s going to get for Southwest to acquire or merge with another carrier. The MAX “catastrophe” is the perfect case to be made to labor groups within WN and federal regulators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jetmatt777

Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:03 am

asteriskceo wrote:
Seems to me this is the ripest time that it’s going to get for Southwest to acquire or merge with another carrier. The MAX “catastrophe” is the perfect case to be made to labor groups within WN and federal regulators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’d say lack of planning on their part does not consitute an emergency on the consumer’s part. Maybe they’ll have learned their lesson and be thankful this happened before they had hundreds of these things in their fleet. It’s their choice alone to depend on a single source.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

32andBelow

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:05 am

enilria wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:

That's a decent sign. I wonder how many of the aircraft's system can be kept alive with a run-up? For example, does not using the landing gear for a year create problems? I'd think so.
planecane wrote:

Agreed

You can jack it up and do a gear swing. But I doubt it’s a big problem. Planes spend most of their time on their gear already.

barney captain

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:15 am

Dieuwer wrote:
If the MAX saga shows you one thing, then it is that you should never allow yourself to be a slave of just one aircraft manufacturer. And certainly not just one aircraft type.
Diversify, diversify!

No, it doesn't - not even close. How many airlines operate only one type? (here's a hint - many). The economics of operating one type have been proven over 45 years of profitability. Next.

We have a continuous rotating team of Tech Ops folks out at VCV keeping the MAX alive and breathing - running engines, cycling systems, cooling them down etc.

By the end of the year we will have over 70 aircraft waiting to launch back into service. 70. That is a huge influx that will take place in very short order, the boomerang effect will be noticeable and the hiring and upgrades will rebound accordingly.
Southeast Of Disorder

mcdu
Topic Author

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:00 pm

barney captain wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Diversify, diversify!

No, it doesn't - not even close. How many airlines operate only one type? (here's a hint - many). The economics of operating one type have been proven over 45 years of profitability. Next.

We have a continuous rotating team of Tech Ops folks out at VCV keeping the MAX alive and breathing - running engines, cycling systems, cooling them down etc.

By the end of the year we will have over 70 aircraft waiting to launch back into service. 70. That is a huge influx that will take place in very short order, the boomerang effect will be noticeable and the hiring and upgrades will rebound accordingly.

Unless the FAA says the planes need major modifications or that they are unsafe and can’t fly. With two crashes and the optics of a coverup by Boeing and complicity with WN there may not be anyone willing to put their reputation at risk to okay a return to service. The delay may be very costly to WN.

The competition should get aggressive in buying up planes and taking on WN while they don’t have the ability to react.

airplaneboy

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:13 pm

mcdu wrote:
barney captain wrote:
Dieuwer wrote:
Diversify, diversify!

Unless the FAA says the planes need major modifications or that they are unsafe and can’t fly. With two crashes and the optics of a coverup by Boeing and complicity with WN there may not be anyone willing to put their reputation at risk to okay a return to service. The delay may be very costly to WN.

The competition should get aggressive in buying up planes and taking on WN while they don’t have the ability to react.

“Complicity with WN” ?? The “rush” to have the MAX developed and introduced was greatly influenced by American Airlines’ (very public) desire to place a large narrowbody order for early delivery- which created a sense of urgency with Boeing and Airbus to win this order. Not WN.

enilria

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:55 pm

32andBelow wrote:
enilria wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:

planecane wrote:

Agreed

You can jack it up and do a gear swing. But I doubt it’s a big problem. Planes spend most of their time on their gear already.

I'm thinking more about the effect on the hydraulics to not be used.

seven3seven

Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:55 pm

And again MCDU I ask where the hate towards WN came from and why your agenda towards seeing their downfall?
My views are mine alone and are not that of any of my fellow employees, officers, or directors at my company

mcdu
Topic Author

Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:32 pm

seven3seven wrote:
And again MCDU I ask where the hate towards WN came from and why your agenda towards seeing their downfall?

Where is there hate in this thread. Are you saying the linked story isn’t accurate?

mcdu
Topic Author

Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:40 pm

airplaneboy wrote:
mcdu wrote:
barney captain wrote:

“Complicity with WN” ?? The “rush” to have the MAX developed and introduced was greatly influenced by American Airlines’ (very public) desire to place a large narrowbody order for early delivery- which created a sense of urgency with Boeing and Airbus to win this order. Not WN.

Let’s see how the lawsuit works out. So far no group is suing AA for complicity with Boeing over the 737 design.

American wanted a plane but everything indicates Southwest drove the design with Boeing to prevent a new type rating requirement. The largest customer held more sway than a potential customer.

Lootess

Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:56 pm

airplaneboy wrote:
mcdu wrote:
barney captain wrote:

WN was also vocal in wanting the MAX to still keep flying all the while not allowing customers to rebook without possible additional cost.

But you can't fool anyone that WN wanted a new 737 more than AA did. From their cozy FAA relationship and the type rating, it's not a shocker.

N383SW

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:45 pm

mcdu wrote:
seven3seven wrote:

Where is there hate in this thread. Are you saying the linked story isn’t accurate?

Not seeing any hate, however, you do seem to take a certain amount of joy in anything negative regarding Southwest.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos