HP69
Topic Author
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:04 pm

History of UA at JFK

Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:59 pm

Obviously, UA does not serve JFK anymore, but I know they once had quite a sizable operation. What did it look like? I know LHR, NRT, and HKG were served at one point.
 
psa188
Posts: 661
Joined: Sat Aug 19, 2000 11:02 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:16 pm

They had transcons to SFO and LAX. I think they briefly did SJC around 1970, but I was 8 at the time.
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5396
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:31 pm

Peak before pulldown

High frequency 767s to LA and SF
SEA
BOS
ORD and SJU on weekends
High frequency IAD
MIA on 767
NRT on 744
3 daily LHR on 767s
HKG on 744 for 2 months
Announced but never commenced CDG
3 South America cities: Sao Paulo Buenos Aires and Caracas I believe

Announced but never built new terminal where B6 is now

They were never as big as people make of them out to be. Nor would they as small as you think.

It was a large line station which was very common until 911
 
gunnerman
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:05 pm

In the 1970s:
ABE
CLE
DEN
HNL
LAS
LAX
ORD
PDX
SEA
SLC
 
N649DL
Posts: 515
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:48 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Peak before pulldown

High frequency 767s to LA and SF
SEA
BOS
ORD and SJU on weekends
High frequency IAD
MIA on 767
NRT on 744
3 daily LHR on 767s
HKG on 744 for 2 months
Announced but never commenced CDG
3 South America cities: Sao Paulo Buenos Aires and Caracas I believe

Announced but never built new terminal where B6 is now

They were never as big as people make of them out to be. Nor would they as small as you think.

It was a large line station which was very common until 911


Adding a few others: http://www.departedflights.com/JFK99intro.html
--BOS had 1x daily mainline
--UAEX flew briefly JFK-BWI/BOS/ROC
 
HP69
Topic Author
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:04 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:53 pm

Thanks for all your replies!
 
727LOVER
Posts: 8321
Joined: Tue Oct 09, 2001 12:22 am

Re: History of UA at JFK

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:14 pm

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.
 
jplatts
Posts: 2647
Joined: Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:42 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:18 pm

HP69 wrote:
Obviously, UA does not serve JFK anymore, but I know they once had quite a sizable operation.


While UA doesn't currently serve JFK, there are others who have said in the Airliners.net forums that UA will re-enter JFK at some point.

There are actually some foreign Star Alliance carriers that serve JFK but not EWR such as NH, OZ, AV, LR, SN, CM, MS, BR, SA, and TR. However, UA already serves NH's NRT hub, AV's BOG hub, LR's SJO hub, SN's BRU hub, and CM's PTY hub nonstop from EWR.

UA would be able to offer connections onto MS's JFK-CAI, SA's JFK-JNB, and TR's JFK-IST nonstop flights from other UA hub airports if UA does re-enter JFK. However, MS, SA, and TR all already serve UA's IAD hub, and TR also already serves UA's LAX, SFO, IAH, and ORD hubs.

While ICN and TPE aren't currently served nonstop from EWR, UA does already offer 1-stop connecting service to these 2 East Asian destinations from EWR through other UA hubs.
 
HP69
Topic Author
Posts: 49
Joined: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:04 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:50 pm

If UA were to re-enter JFK, where would they do it from? SFO?
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 227
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:51 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Peak before pulldown

High frequency 767s to LA and SF
SEA
BOS
ORD and SJU on weekends
High frequency IAD
MIA on 767
NRT on 744
3 daily LHR on 767s
HKG on 744 for 2 months
Announced but never commenced CDG
3 South America cities: Sao Paulo Buenos Aires and Caracas I believe

Announced but never built new terminal where B6 is now

They were never as big as people make of them out to be. Nor would they as small as you think.

It was a large line station which was very common until 911


A few of the South American flights also went via the MIA 'gateway'/focus city in the 90s. As pointed out earlier it was on 767s.

JFK was considered a "International Gateway" for UA at some point (ie as said a 'large O&D station') It was technically never a "hub" for UA, let alone a focus city.

Even back pre-Terminal 7 era for UA. UA's half of the old Terminal 9 in the late 70s and 80s was considered "too big" for UA's operations. The other half (smaller pier) of the old T9 had a variety of tenants starting with DL, BN, NW and AA (before AA eventually took over the whole of the old Terminal 9 building).
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:15 am

HP69 wrote:
If UA were to re-enter JFK, where would they do it from? SFO?


Definitely SFO and LAX and probably nothing else. That was all that was left in the last few years, and those are probably the only markets that would matter for UA. Dropping JFK didn't mean too much for many of UA's NYC frequent flyers, but it was a big loss for a lot of UA's SFO and LAX-based customers. UA pulling out of JFK reportedly resulted in the loss of some big corporate contracts, including Disney.

Does anyone know when UA dropped DEN-JFK? It's there in those Departed Flights schedules from the 70s, but as someone born in the early 90s, all I've ever known is UA flying to LGA and EWR from DEN. For quite some time, only DL and B6 have flown DEN-JFK aside from a recent but brief attempt on AA.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
User avatar
mats
Posts: 556
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:20 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:34 am

When I worked there in the late 90s, United had two beautiful check-in lobbies. There was one in Terminal 6 just for Los Angeles and San Francisco flights. The other lobby was in Terminal 7. For a while, United also had a combined check in with Varig at Terminal 7.

The gate areas weren't anything special, but it was still a classy operation. United was serving so many major business cities from JFK: London, Buenos Aires, São Paulo, Tokyo/Narita. There were also some one-stops to Asia and Australia.

It was a smaller, quicker, and nicer operation compared with Newark or Dulles.
 
caljn
Posts: 240
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 9:37 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:57 am

mats wrote:
When I worked there in the late 90s, United had two beautiful check-in lobbies. There was one in Terminal 6 just for Los Angeles and San Francisco flights. The other lobby was in Terminal 7. For a while, United also had a combined check in with Varig at Terminal 7.

The gate areas weren't anything special, but it was still a classy operation. United was serving so many major business cities from JFK: London, Buenos Aires, São Paulo, Tokyo/Narita. There were also some one-stops to Asia and Australia.

It was a smaller, quicker, and nicer operation compared with Newark or Dulles.



A different, simpler era, nostalgia is often viewed thru rose tinted glasses. And small operations have less activity, and feel "nicer". A few gates cannot compare to UA's operation at EWR.
 
Max Q
Posts: 7545
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:36 am

It will be bigger than ever after Jet Blue is acquired
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society
 
Sevoair
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:03 am

Re: History of UA at JFK

Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:42 am

727LOVER wrote:




A nonstop to HNL in 1972? Anyone remember this? Did that last long?

I didn’t realize that market had a nonstop then.
 
Qantas59
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:25 am

JFK-HNL operated with a DC-8-62, from October 1969 until 1976.
[photoid][photoid][/photoid][/photoid]/Users/jaytanguay/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.30.09 AM.png
 
Qantas59
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat May 04, 2013 4:51 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:29 am

JFK-HNL operated with a DC-8-62, from October 1969 until 1976.
[photoid][photoid][/photoid][/photoid]/Users/jaytanguay/Desktop/Screen Shot 2016-10-27 at 9.30.09 AM.png
 
User avatar
September11
Posts: 3583
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 12:49 am

Re: History of UA at JFK

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:30 am

A 2003 photo on here described UA 763 JFK-LHR
Airliners.net of the Future
 
Ionosphere
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:46 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:12 pm

1974: ORD, CLE, DEN, HNL, LAS, LAX, OMA, SLC, SFO, SEA

1975: ABE, ORD, CLE, DEN, HNL, LAS, LAX, SLC, SFO, SEA

1979: ABE, ORD, CLE, DEN, LAS, LAX, PDX, SLC, SFO, SEA

1981: CUN, ORD, DEN, LAX, SLC, SFO, SEA

1983: ORD, DEN, LAX, SFO, SEA

1985: ORD, DEN, LAX, SFO, SEA

1989: ORD, LAX, SFO, SEA

1995 Domestic Only
Mainline: ORD, LAX, SFO, SEA
Express: IAD

1996 International Only
EZE, CCS, LHR, GRU

1999 Domestic Only
Mainline: BOS, ORD, LAX, SFO, SJU,SEA
Express: BWI, BOS, ROC, IAD
 
Ionosphere
Posts: 215
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:46 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:17 pm

JFK-LHR was dropped in 2006. United sold rights to DL who began flying JFK-LGW.

JFK-NRT was dropped in 2006 too. United transferred the flight to IAD.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:20 pm

Ionosphere wrote:
JFK-LHR was dropped in 2006. United sold rights to DL who began flying JFK-LGW.

JFK-NRT was dropped in 2006 too. United transferred the flight to IAD.


JFK-LHR was down from 3 x daily 763s to 1 x daily 772 by 2006 when it was dropped (sold rights to DL to operate to LGW since DL did not have access to LHR until 2008 when Bermuda II was scrapped.
 
gunnerman
Posts: 859
Joined: Fri May 19, 2017 7:55 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:32 pm

Was EWR-LHR dropped at the same time as JKF-LHR?
 
evank516
Posts: 1943
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:15 am

Re: History of UA at JFK

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:04 am

intotheair wrote:
HP69 wrote:
If UA were to re-enter JFK, where would they do it from? SFO?


Definitely SFO and LAX and probably nothing else. That was all that was left in the last few years, and those are probably the only markets that would matter for UA. Dropping JFK didn't mean too much for many of UA's NYC frequent flyers, but it was a big loss for a lot of UA's SFO and LAX-based customers. UA pulling out of JFK reportedly resulted in the loss of some big corporate contracts, including Disney.

Does anyone know when UA dropped DEN-JFK? It's there in those Departed Flights schedules from the 70s, but as someone born in the early 90s, all I've ever known is UA flying to LGA and EWR from DEN. For quite some time, only DL and B6 have flown DEN-JFK aside from a recent but brief attempt on AA.


With the grandfathering in of DEN to LGA's perimeter rule, and with jets able to handle the shorter runways, they probably didn't see the need for it. DL flies JFK-DEN most likely to compete with B6, and B6 flies it from JFK because it's their focus city/hub/whatever you want to call it, but DL flies it from LGA too.
 
User avatar
September11
Posts: 3583
Joined: Fri May 21, 2004 12:49 am

Re: History of UA at JFK

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:31 am

Some good historical photos of UA at JFK....





Airliners.net of the Future
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:43 am

JFK-GRU and JFK-EZE were moved to IAD. I don't recall what year but I believe in was before 2006 as LHR was the sole long haul international flight that remained until 2006 when it ended.
 
Cointrin330
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:23 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:46 am

Also, UA operated LAX/SFO from the now demolished Terminal 6 for a time, using 767-200s on both routes. In 2003 or 2004, UA launched PS and transitioned to the 757 and the operation I think moved back to Terminal 7.
 
User avatar
intotheair
Posts: 1711
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:49 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:51 am

evank516 wrote:
With the grandfathering in of DEN to LGA's perimeter rule, and with jets able to handle the shorter runways, they probably didn't see the need for it. DL flies JFK-DEN most likely to compete with B6, and B6 flies it from JFK because it's their focus city/hub/whatever you want to call it, but DL flies it from LGA too.


Oh, definitely. I'm aware of that. I just was not aware that UA did fly DEN-JFK at one time, and it looks like from the information above that it must have been dropped in the mid-80s. DL definitely has flown DEN-JFK longer than B6 has, though DEN-LGA on DL was a more recent addition after DL and US swapped slots.
300 319 320 321 332 333 345 346 717 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 752 753 762 763 772 77W 788 789 CR2 CR7 CR9 Q400 E175 DC10 MD82 MD90
AA AF AS AY AZ B6 BA BR DL F9 FI GA HA KF LH MI QX SK SN SQ UA US VY WN
 
User avatar
jfklganyc
Posts: 5396
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2004 2:31 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:40 am

DL used to fly JFK DEN once a day on a 72S

Long before B6
 
BoeingGuy
Posts: 6259
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:01 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:15 am

Qantas59 wrote:
JFK-HNL operated with a DC-8-62, from October 1969 until 1976.


Did UA fly BWI-HNL during that same time period, or a shorter period?

I knew about BWI and JFK, but someone said that UA also did DTW-HNL with a DC-8 at one point.

Interestingly, I remember that CO served JFK-IAH at one point despite their huge hub at EWR.
 
timz
Posts: 6561
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 1999 7:43 am

Re: History of UA at JFK

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:21 pm

intotheair wrote:
I just was not aware that UA did fly DEN-JFK at one time

Started around 1954 when the DC-7 took over, replacing the DC-6 nonstop from LGA.
 
paperwastage
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed May 29, 2019 11:45 pm

Re: History of UA at JFK

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:48 pm

jplatts wrote:
HP69 wrote:
Obviously, UA does not serve JFK anymore, but I know they once had quite a sizable operation.




There are actually some foreign Star Alliance carriers that serve JFK but not EWR such as NH, OZ, AV, LR, SN, CM, MS, BR, SA, and TR. However, UA already serves NH's NRT hub, .

UA will start EWR-HND soon alongside existing EWR-NRT (they were allotted HND slots that start spring 2020)

NH will be bidding for slots from HND too, unsure what they want/will get
 
timz
Posts: 6561
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 1999 7:43 am

Re: History of UA at JFK

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:30 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Did UA fly BWI-HNL

...someone said that UA also did DTW-HNL


The 4/70 timetable says BAL-HNL and DTW-HNL were both to start 1 June. In 7/70 BAL was daily, DTW 4/week. DTW lasted for maybe a year, BAL a bit longer.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 3812
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: History of UA at

Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:02 pm

HP69 wrote:
If UA were to re-enter JFK, where would they do it from? SFO?

they would re-establish JFK as a major base though I would seriously doubt as a hub.
When we flew from JFK EWR was a large station but not a hub. IAD wasn't yet a hub either. but once we got the pacific routes from Pan Am IAD became a hub, then all the BS Started. Richard Ferris who was then the CEO of United wanted to buy and spin off some United acquisitions into a separate company the same way Canteen Corp bankrupted TWA, Trouble was? The Fool held a meeting to announce it to the company. He announced it all right. And the following DAY? The ALPA Pilots announced they were going to buy the company and throw his ass out! And? That's EXACTLY what happened!! within a week they came up with an ESOP plan we all had to join (or quit) and that's what we did. Rich Ferris was shown the DOOR along with Jim Hartigan. we had a number of CEO's proposed that ALPA denied until Steve Wolfe, 9/11 Hit and the rest is history.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos