727LOVER
Topic Author

“Dear American Airlines, I Hate You With My Whole Heart.” writes disgruntled traveler

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:43 am

This viral rant has been making the rounds the past few days
https://verysmartbrothas.theroot.com/de ... 1836395049

A more calmly worded explanation:
https://viewfromthewing.boardingarea.co ... g-someone/

However...here's a rebuttal of sorts
There’s a story going viral at the moment with the title “Dear American Airlines, I Hate You With My Whole Heart.” The story contains a lot of bad language, though I think it’s actually a good lesson for travelers, because the airline industry is really complex.

Let me start by summarizing what happened, and then sharing my take.

https://onemileatatime.com/american-air ... ed-flight/

To end, I'll use the last author's words:
What do you guys think — was the traveler in the wrong, was American Airlines in the wrong, are they both wrong, or is the airline industry just too darn complicated?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

TTailedTiger

Re: “Dear American Airlines, I Hate You With My Whole Heart.” writes disgruntled traveler

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:55 am

I don't know about AA but Delta makes it very clear that you are purchasing a basic economy ticket and the restrictions on it. I would never purchase one.

TheFlyingDisk

Re: “Dear American Airlines, I Hate You With My Whole Heart.” writes disgruntled traveler

Thu Jul 18, 2019 12:58 am

Here's why the problems in this story happened

1) Basic economy - people want cheaper & cheaper flights. Airlines can't cut any more. Hence, tickets with ultra restrictive T&C.
2) No-show policy - started because people who game the system with hidden city ticketing causing airlines headaches trying to manage revenue. Once a plane takes off airlines can't recover that empty seat, so they have to take a tough stance on this by assuming everyone who misses a flight on purpose & not due to the airline's fault (delays etc) are attempting to game the system, and thus cancel their tickets.
3) Employees that don't go beyond their remit to serve the customer - caused by number 1 and the cuts made to achieve number 1.

Re-regulate the industry. Maybe then all the problems will go away!
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

AAtakeMeAway

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:00 am

I think the AA phone agents (as a whole) could use a lot more common sense and decency.

brucetiki

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:09 am

That's some rant for something that wasn't the airlines fault.

Bad planning on their part does not constitute an emergency on AA's part.

Super80Fan

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:15 am

I find it hard to defend airlines these days but this traveler did many things wrong:

1. Booked third party. When things go right it's fine. When things go wrong it just complicates matters, as you now have to deal with two parties instead of just the airline.
2. Booking with no wiggle room. Many people do this for many different reasons (being cheap is part of it) where they book flights the night before or even day of their cruise, wedding, event etc. It leaves no room for IRROPS and with flights being full it could take days to get to your destination.
3. Booked basic economy. Many ignorant travelers still book basic economy based on price alone without looking at the other factors regarding that fare. In this situation, booking a refundable fare directly through the airline would've been cheaper in the long run.

This guy gets no sympathy from me. The same would've happened if he booked a UA or DL BE fare and even worse if he booked an ULCC. His "post" is embarrassing, and his disdain towards American isn't really warranted in this particular case.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Gulfstream500

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:16 am

Eh.

So here’s how I side on the story:

No show policy: If someone calls to tell AA that they are purchasing another ticket on AA to get to their destination, they should honor their original return ticket rather than selling it again.

Basic economy tickets: Should American be forced into allowing something against their policy? No. Should they have allowed them to switch their ticket or give them a standby ticket out of good will in a case like this? Yes! Should they give ticket changes for the heck of it to passengers who arrive at the airport early or make an early connection? No.

Another thing: does Orbitz even tell you if you’re booking a basic economy ticket?
Can someone please start a wikipedia list of failed startup airlines? I am interested in seeing just how long it would be...

TTailedTiger

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:20 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Here's why the problems in this story happened

1) Basic economy - people want cheaper & cheaper flights. Airlines can't cut any more. Hence, tickets with ultra restrictive T&C.
2) No-show policy - started because people who game the system with hidden city ticketing causing airlines headaches trying to manage revenue. Once a plane takes off airlines can't recover that empty seat, so they have to take a tough stance on this by assuming everyone who misses a flight on purpose & not due to the airline's fault (delays etc) are attempting to game the system, and thus cancel their tickets.
3) Employees that don't go beyond their remit to serve the customer - caused by number 1 and the cuts made to achieve number 1.

So you want to make flying unattainable except for the wealthy like the old days of regulation? Do you realize that would create serious excess capacity and cause a recession? Massive layoffs at the airlines, aircraft manufacturers, suppliers, airports, etc. And then it would reach beyond that to hotels, entertainment, dining, etc since these industries are largely reliant on tourists.

Elementalism

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:29 am

Hard for me to find much sympathy with this guy. Find better friends or plan better. 1 week out and he didnt know the start time of the ceremony? He should ask his friend for compensation.

TheOldDude

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:33 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

As someone who retired as a regulator of a different industry, this gave me a good laugh. I'm continually amazed by the view that imperfect regulators can create a perfect system by crafting demands. It simply can't be done. Regulation can change incentives, it can create transparency, it can set expectations, it can encourage compliance, but it can't make "all the problems go away". At best, it swaps one set of problems for another, while increasing the costs of products. Whether that is a good deal is in the eye of the beholder.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:41 am

Elementalism wrote:
Hard for me to find much sympathy with this guy. Find better friends or plan better. 1 week out and he didnt know the start time of the ceremony? He should ask his friend for compensation.

Even if the friend didn't inform him about the start time, surely it's not a hassle to come at least a day earlier?

TTailedTiger wrote:
So you want to make flying unattainable except for the wealthy like the old days of regulation? Do you realize that would create serious excess capacity and cause a recession? Massive layoffs at the airlines, aircraft manufacturers, suppliers, airports, etc. And then it would reach beyond that to hotels, entertainment, dining, etc since these industries are largely reliant on tourists.

Well, it's either that, or constant complaints like the ones posted by the OP.

Which is why I only complain about airlines' fault when it's clear that they were at fault - for example like AirAsia not informing my travel party that their flight is cancelled even though they know that the flight is to be cancelled. I never complain about no show or fare policies.

TheOldDude wrote:
As someone who retired as a regulator of a different industry, this gave me a good laugh. I'm continually amazed by the view that imperfect regulators can create a perfect system by crafting demands. It simply can't be done. Regulation can change incentives, it can create transparency, it can set expectations, it can encourage compliance, but it can't make "all the problems go away". At best, it swaps one set of problems for another, while increasing the costs of products. Whether that is a good deal is in the eye of the beholder.

True, but hey at least some of the problems are eradicated, right?

JAMBOJET

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:45 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:
Eh.

No show policy: If someone calls to tell AA that they are purchasing another ticket on AA to get to their destination, they should honor their original return ticket rather than selling it again.

i get the sympathy here, but then you'll just end up with a bunch of people buying DCA-DFW-ATL-DCA because it was cheaper than DFW-ATL-DCA and all they'll have to do is call to say they'll miss their DCA-DFW flight.

Problem with where we are today is these systems have to be geared/built with harsh rules for everyone to compensate for those that inevitably try to game any loophole out there.

travaz

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:47 am

This is one of those things where I can feel some compassion for the traveler, but...... When you have a credit card there are very specific rules that govern your payments. Your late you pay a fee. I bought a cell phone from Amazon and decided I wanted something else when I got the package. I never opened it our used it. When I returned it they charged me a restocking fee. It was on the oder but wasn't highlighted in flashing Neon. I paid the fee and moved on. Airlines are very complex organizations and offer many tickets at different prices. Most everyone here understands the system. I also understand the Airlines rules about not waiving the fees. What is the point of having the rule if you are not going to live by it. Yes there can be exception for unforseen circumstances but in this case the traveler was the one who blew it. Got the wrong time. Sometimes we expect the entity to roll over and make our F up (to quote the article) right because after all we are spending our money on your product. As one who books on AA quite a bit I always use AA.com because they are better at telling me what I am buying. I recently did a LAX SYD with hotels that I booked on AA Vacations instead of Expedia. The price on Expedia was marginally cheaper but the information and the terms of what I was buying were made much clearer on AA. When I put my credit card down I knew exactly what the terms were. I also payed a small fee for insurance. Caveat emptor !

Ebmek

Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:57 am

As a person who does a fair amount of research before diving into an endeavor revolving around travel be it on unfamiliar airlines, cruises, or even car rentals...

I have zero sympathy for this individual.

Third party booking engines do tell you what type of ticket you're about to purchase. Even Google Flights does this when explaining what goes into that basic fare you're about to purchase and restrictions it has in regards to booking the tickets.

He bought the tickets full well knowing that there was no set time for the ceremony. He didn't bother to ask before the purchase, or even consider that getting in at 6:45pm for a wedding could be kind of late? With that amount of uncertainty, buying a changeable ticket in the first place would've been the smartest thing he could have done for himself. And apparently at the end of it all he had $4000 to burn, so why not have saved themselves the trouble and gone the regular economy route? Paying a little extra for peace of mind goes such a long way, considering the circumstances.

jaybird

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:11 am

First - the passenger didn't buy the tickets from American - they bought them from an online agency - Orbitz. Whether or not the restrictions are clear on the Orbitz site I don't know. But Orbitz or any seller has the responsibility of giving a passenger all the information. I don't think it said - but the passenger should have called Orbitz first. He called American - and American should have referred him back to Orbitz as the selling agent. "Oh you bought this from a travel agency - you need to call them." To me - the entire blame rests with Orbitz IF they did not disclose all the restrictions of the basic economy ticket.

I know a lot of people are going to say - how heartless of American. Well - unless you're sitting on the other side of the phone - you have no idea how many stories people make up to get what they want. One of the things I do for work is take customer calls. Some are 100% spot-on. Some - not so much. Some have a a lot of non-fact in them.

American's policy may be - basic economy no changes for any reason. That's their right. Where they might be liable is if their agent did not say anything about the return portion - and the writer says AA did not say anything about the return. That's a mistake.

So I would say Orbitz - if they didn't disclose - are probably 75% liable - and American would be 25% liable.

As to whether or not the industry is too complicated - once the first SuperSAAver was introduced I believe in 1976 which is when I first started working for them - everything became complicated. And that was before deregulation in the US.

silentbob

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:24 am

Perhaps if he hadn't insulted the reservations agent on the phone, they would have been willing to volunteer more information. Honestly, that's just karma in action.

maint123

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:40 am

Cancelling on going journeys if the first leg is not taken is a old industry wide rule. But that doesn't make it right. They should inform you by sms or email and take your permission before cancellation. They want to maximise their profits as the ticket is already paid for, they also get the fuel weight advantage by the no show and they want to earn from new passengers by cancelling your other legs tickets.
Flying in usa is totally stacked against the passenger. With so many overbooking forced disembarkments taken as a norm. Screw the schedule of the effected guy.
India has a airlines overseeing authority, who the airlines fear. My flight was delayed by 4 hours due to "technical reasons". I paid late taxi charges due to the delay. I contacted the airlines arguing that technical reasons for delay was due to their incompetence and not unavoidable. Their supervisor refused compensation.
I wrote it up in the government airlines complaint site and within 12 hours received a email and phone call from the airlines with a compensation voucher for future flights.
Don't leave them.

freakyrat

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:40 am

[url][/url]
TTailedTiger wrote:
I don't know about AA but Delta makes it very clear that you are purchasing a basic economy ticket and the restrictions on it. I would never purchase one.

A basic economy ticket is awesome on AA for DFW passengers that want to do a day trip to Houston, Austin, San Antonio etc. I'm using one to go to Tulsa from DFW for a pre-season hockey game. I can stuff a jersey and other overnight clothes etc in a backpack and travel light. I recently used one on UA to go from DFW to IAH for a day trip reunion and it worked out great.

DenverTed

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:42 am

What's the airlines logic for cancelling all legs if one leg is missed? Other than, because they can, and sell the seat twice?

IPFreely

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:43 am

I'm not sure what's more funny. That he booked a ticket arriving in DFW at 6:45pm for a wedding starting in Frisco at 7:00pm, or that he thought he fixed the situation by changing his flight to one arriving at 5:45pm.

The rest of the guy's rant reads like he's a guy who has never bought a ticket or flown before and had no idea what he was doing. He either shouldn't ever fly again, or he should buy tickets through a full service travel agency that will arrange everything for him and explain it in a way he can understand what he's buying. Either way, American is better off without him. Although we all know if he needs to fly next week and they're the cheapest, he'll be back.

BoeingGuy

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:50 am

I also think it’s the guy’s fault. Why didn’t he plan to arrive a day early to give some padding? I’d NEVER book a ticket to arrive the same day for something critical such as wedding, cruise, business meeting, etc.

He tried to buy the cheapest tickets possible and then expected the airline to accommodate his poor planning. Then he rants about it, rather than taking responsibility for his own bad planning.

acjbbj

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:55 am

And everyone thought DeRegulation was a good thing
Douglas Aircraft Company
Born: 22 July 1921 (Santa Monica, CA)
Died: 23 May 2006 (Long Beach, CA), age 84 years 10 months 1 day
You will be missed.

ikramerica

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:56 am

That's nothing. My friends recently had a 12 hour delay going and 1 day delay coming back on AA domestic due to planes being taken out of service without replacements. With a 5 year old in tow, that's pretty bad to have that happen in both directions.
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

deltaguy767

Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:57 am

jaybird wrote:
I know a lot of people are going to say - how heartless of American. Well - unless you're sitting on the other side of the phone - you have no idea how many stories people make up to get what they want. One of the things I do for work is take customer calls. Some are 100% spot-on. Some - not so much. Some have a a lot of non-fact in them.

American's policy may be - basic economy no changes for any reason. That's their right. Where they might be liable is if their agent did not say anything about the return portion - and the writer says AA did not say anything about the return. That's a mistake.

This is spot on and demonstrates a missed opportunity for the agent to demonstrate a customer-focused /problem-solving attitude which likely could have defused the entire situation. When the customer called in and was informed of the non-changeable nature of the original itinerary, the agent could have been more helpful in working with the customer build a new itinerary which would have met his needs without even breaking the rules. For an airline that has some serious issues it needs to contend with; MAX groundings, TWU issues, and general impressions of dysfunction and lower profitability/satisfaction versus peers, stories like this only confirm the narrative that AA doesn't have its ducks in a row.

One major caveat is that we are only hearing one side of the story. It could have very well been the agent attempted to inform the customer of the restrictions of policy and that he reacted poorly, souring any potential for a productive dialogue to continue.

Every company has bad apples and folks that can have a bad day / bad moment, however one thing to note is that for companies with high touch customer service requirements, the culture must emphasize, reward and reinforce a service mindset. Anecdotally via my own experiences and through family/friends, the culture at AA is not up to par in this area, hopefully, management and employees can fix this critical area.
A Good Landing is one you walk away from! Any comments made on this board are my own and do not reflect the opinions or actions of my employer.

alasizon

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:06 am

DenverTed wrote:
What's the airlines logic for cancelling all legs if one leg is missed? Other than, because they can, and sell the seat twice?

The theory being that you aren't going to take the return trip if you didn't take the outbound trip. Its not just about selling the seat twice, its about being able to use that seat during IRROPs.

Mind you, its also not automatic cancellation right there on the spot. There is a grace period of time before the system goes in and cancels the return segments. This gives people who are late to the airport a chance to be listed as standby for another flight (even basic economy passengers are entitled to be a revenue standby for a later flight due to missing their earlier flights).

freakyrat wrote:
A basic economy ticket is awesome on AA for DFW passengers that want to do a day trip to Houston, Austin, San Antonio etc. I'm using one to go to Tulsa from DFW for a pre-season hockey game. I can stuff a jersey and other overnight clothes etc in a backpack and travel light. I recently used one on UA to go from DFW to IAH for a day trip reunion and it worked out great.

Basic economy is great for a lot of people as it provides them just what they need, a seat to place their butt in and they were going to check their bag anyhow so the overhead bin space is not a big deal. There are markets where basic economy has actually increased overall LF because some passengers who would have chosen to not go or to drive are now choosing to fly.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

Sooner787

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:12 am

This dude is a complete idiot and I have no sympathy for him. Been a corporate travel agent for close to 30 years now,
and clowns like this are the main reason I can't wait to retire. We've had customers call us seeking help for problems
with personal tickets they've purchased on Spirit or another ULCC or Orbitz / Expedia and they go ballistic when we tell
them if they didn't buy the ticket from us, we cannot help them....ugh :(

adh214

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:33 am

Next time fly Southwest, they do not have annoying policies like this. Plans change, just cancel and rebook, no fuss.

My AA hell story is getting force downgraded out of revenue first class. Then being required to pay a baggage check fee. Having to request a refund because I guess they thought I would be ok with paying a first class fare and getting a coach seat. Finally a month later AA decided they over refunded and just randomly charged what they felt they were entitled to. I would love to see AA apologist justify this.

Andrew

hiflyeras

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:37 am

I'd never buy a ticket from a third-party seller...I even hesitate with hotels because it's usually nothing but trouble. You check in and they claim you haven't paid but you have, etc...

alfa164

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:39 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:

:checkmark: This. The passenger clearly wasn't trying to subvert the rules (i.e., via a "hidden city" ticket) of the fare; he had made a mistake, and purchased another ticket - on American - for an earlier outbound flight. He told the agent he was doing that. Anyone with a modicum of good sense - and good customer service - would offer to reissue the remaining portion of the ticker - with no refund or credit - so that the remaining flights would remain intact.

Unfortunately, "good sense and good customer service" and "American Airlines" now seem to be mutually exclusive.

(disclaimer: I am currently trying to wipe out about a quarter-million AAdvantage miles that are left on my account, just because of this type of attitude - and because the inflight experience has become equally bad. Yeah, I am biased...)
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Antarius

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:47 am

adh214 wrote:
Next time fly Southwest, they do not have annoying policies like this. Plans change, just cancel and rebook, no fuss.

My AA hell story is getting force downgraded out of revenue first class. Then being required to pay a baggage check fee. Having to request a refund because I guess they thought I would be ok with paying a first class fare and getting a coach seat. Finally a month later AA decided they over refunded and just randomly charged what they felt they were entitled to. I would love to see AA apologist justify this.

Andrew

No one is saying American is perfect and doesnt screw up. That said, tripe like this deranged delusional rant in the article dilute valid complaints by others. There are plenty of legit screwups that dont need noise by this whiny loon.

This guy reads like someone who hasnt traveled ever. WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CANT TAKE A BARREL OF LIQUID THROUGH SECURITY. BY THE WAY F*** EVERYONE.

What really cements this is how, after all this, the writer will undoubtedly buy another ticket on American if it is the cheapest.
Last edited by Antarius on Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHTYYZ DEN DOH BLR MAA TXL MEX

casinterest

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:49 am

Basic Economy exists because airlines want to charge you more for convenience and service. Added fees are part of the fun in making it so complex that it is miserable for passengers.

The real issue here is that AA sells most of their tickets as Basic Economy. They make their revenue from the business class and premium class items. However in the race to the bottom, stories like this only serve to enhance the competitive ULCC business model, as at least you know how screwed you are by their fare systems.

AA should have a better handling for rebooking something like this,as their computer system "should" be smart enough to see what occurred. But alas, there isn't much care for the basic economy passenger at any airline.
Where ever you go, there you are.

Jerseyguy

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:51 am

Super80Fan wrote:
Booked basic economy. Many ignorant travelers still book basic economy based on price alone without looking at the other factors regarding that fare. In this situation, booking a refundable fare directly through the airline would've been cheaper in the long run.

This guy gets no sympathy from me. The same would've happened if he booked a UA or DL BE fare and even worse if he booked an ULCC. His "post" is embarrassing, and his disdain towards American isn't really warranted in this particular case.

Actually if it had booked a ULCC the ticket would have been more flexible (except Allegiant)

Spirit Airlines
$100 to change.
Doesn't sell non changable tickets

Frontier
$0: More than 90 days before
$49: 89 to 14 days before
$99: 13 to 00 days before
Does not sell non changeable tickets

Allegiant
With TripFlex insurance $19-35; Free up until 1 hour before flight time
W/O TripFlex Insurance; $75 up to 7 days before flight time and then non refundable

So if the complaining pax flew Allegiant he would have been in the same boat as AA but if he had flown Spirit or Frontier, They at least would have had a shot provided that NK or F9 had an earlier flight. Thats the one thing I hate about BE fares they are more restrictive than ULCC rules and sometimes airlines use BE against WN which makes no sense. Example EWR-AUS UA no change charge for seats carryon and checked bags. WN No fees for any of that, perhaps you would consider the Early Bird Check-in to be a requirement to get your preferred seat but otherwise no fees.
Webmaster of an unoffical TTN page see profile for details

RJNUT

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:53 am

Sooner787 wrote:
This dude is a complete idiot and I have no sympathy for him. Been a corporate travel agent for close to 30 years now,
and clowns like this are the main reason I can't wait to retire. We've had customers call us seeking help for problems
with personal tickets they've purchased on Spirit or another ULCC or Orbitz / Expedia and they go ballistic when we tell
them if they didn't buy the ticket from us, we cannot help them....ugh :(

I retired two years ago from similar setup. I understand your frustration. But in all honesty , we were given much leeway thru our corporate contracts to help bail people out of such jams. I spent nearly half my time soothing feathers and trying to undo the airlines' snafu's. We called that "recovery " work when justifying our time expenditure. We did, however, book 1/3 of all business on WN due to their far more transparent policies!

alfa164

Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:54 am

Antarius wrote:
No one is saying American is perfect and doesnt screw up. That said, tripe like this deranged delusional rant in the article dilute valid complaints by others. There are plenty of legit screwups that dont need noise by this whiny loon.

That sounds like a typical AA opinion of its (paying) passengers...

:roll:

Sooner787 wrote:
and clowns like this are the main reason I can't wait to retire. (

Calling your customers "deranged"... a "whiney loon"... "a complete idiot"... and "clowns"... might be the reason so many airlines, their employees, and agents are held in increasing disregard and contempt these days.

Anyone with that attitude really should retire - or find a position where public contact is not a part of the job description.

casinterest wrote:
AA should have a better handling for rebooking something like this,as their computer system "should" be smart enough to see what occurred. But alas, there isn't much care for the basic economy passenger at any airline.

:checkmark: Actually, I think it is fair to say "there isn't much care for any passenger at some airlines."
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Antarius

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:06 am

alfa164 wrote:
Antarius wrote:

That sounds like a typical AA opinion of its (paying) passengers...

Well, I'm an EXP passenger. So no clue what AA's opinion is on any of it.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHTYYZ DEN DOH BLR MAA TXL MEX

Virtual737

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:08 am

alfa164 wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:

:checkmark: This. The passenger clearly wasn't trying to subvert the rules (i.e., via a "hidden city" ticket) of the fare; he had made a mistake, and purchased another ticket - on American - for an earlier outbound flight. He told the agent he was doing that. Anyone with a modicum of good sense - and good customer service - would offer to reissue the remaining portion of the ticker - with no refund or credit - so that the remaining flights would remain intact.

Unfortunately, "good sense and good customer service" and "American Airlines" now seem to be mutually exclusive.

(disclaimer: I am currently trying to wipe out about a quarter-million AAdvantage miles that are left on my account, just because of this type of attitude - and because the inflight experience has become equally bad. Yeah, I am biased...)

As written above, I totally get the "no-show" policy except that:

1.) It effectively means that just in case you were trying to screw us (and there might be valid reasons why you were not) we are going to screw you harder.
2.) As in this case, it really is not difficult to prove you're not trying to "hidden city". Heck this guy was spending more with AA, not trying to screw them.

My view is that they were both right, and both wrong.

AA were right in that it is in their Ts and Cs (which gives them the right to screw you even when you were legit).
AA were wrong because they did not even attempt to put 2 and 2 together.
He was wrong because he didn't read the Ts and Cs (or Orbitz didn't tell him, but I find this doubtful).
He was right because by trying to do the right thing, and spend more $$$ with the same company, he still lost his flights... and got screwed .... just in case he was trying to screw AA.

I have sympathy for his apparent cussing on the phone. You try keeping your cool when you are down over $1000 dollars and are just faced with the brick wall which is an airline call centre.

The airline industry is unique in so many ways. It is the only industry that I can think of where many employees thing they can abuse their customers in the name of "security", and can sell a single item more than once on a regular basis with the excuse of "we lose money if the seat that was paid for didn't actually carry a human" (yes I know that some flex tickets make this possible, but they also carry a higher charge).

We (the A.net community) are also too quick to label someone as "stupid" or "he got what he deserved" because he didn't understand the way the airline industry works. This is a reflection on much that is wrong with that industry. He is a customer. It is the industry's job to make it easy for him. I don't need to know how a fryer works or the intricacies of genetically modified potatoes to buy a McDonalds. i shouldn't need to know how complex an airline's revenue management system is to buy a plane ticket.

His crazy itinerary management (the timings of his flights / the wedding) doesn't make any of the above any less valid.

umichman

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:10 am

TheOldDude wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Absolutely. I grew up in the 60's and 70's during the regulation era and flying was a treat that we could only afford every three years or so. It was just too expensive. Most of the time, we just drove. My kids grew up in the 90's and 00's and we often flew two or three times a year for vacations. I suspect most people pining for re-regulation weren't actually around during that era.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:42 am

umichman wrote:
TheOldDude wrote:
TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Absolutely. I grew up in the 60's and 70's during the regulation era and flying was a treat that we could only afford every three years or so. It was just too expensive. Most of the time, we just drove. My kids grew up in the 90's and 00's and we often flew two or three times a year for vacations. I suspect most people pining for re-regulation weren't actually around during that era.

Well, if fewer people fly because prices are too expensive, then planes won't be full all the time, which means airlines don't have to overbook etc etc, which means those who can fly won't have to deal with the riffraff. Also since there are fewer people flying, the airport experience would be better since security lines would be shorter, airlines don't have to schedule so many flights, air traffic wouldn't be as congested, and thus the only thing that will delay a flight is either weather or technical issue.

Isn't that a win?

PS: When I said "re-regulate the industry" - I wrote it sarcastically, since I'm perfectly happy with the way things are right now.

fallap

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:46 am

So this is basically a disgruntled and oblivious redneck that did not do his homework before going off buying airline tickets. A week before the wedding and he hasn't checked with the bride (or groom for that matter) when the actual ceremony takes place. Impressive.
Last edited by fallap on Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ex grease monkey buried head to toe inside an F-16M
Now studying Political Science

IPFreely

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:46 am

adh214 wrote:

This guy evidently thinks orbitz is a real travel agency. Or that he gets the cheapest possible tickets on orbitz. Regardless, Southwest doesn't sell their flights thru orbitz. A benefit of this for Southwest is they don't end up with idiots like this as customers.

alasizon

Thu Jul 18, 2019 4:47 am

Virtual737 wrote:
The airline industry is unique in so many ways. It is the only industry that I can think of where many employees thing they can abuse their customers in the name of "security", and can sell a single item more than once on a regular basis with the excuse of "we lose money if the seat that was paid for didn't actually carry a human" (yes I know that some flex tickets make this possible, but they also carry a higher charge).

We (the A.net community) are also too quick to label someone as "stupid" or "he got what he deserved" because he didn't understand the way the airline industry works. This is a reflection on much that is wrong with that industry. He is a customer. It is the industry's job to make it easy for him. I don't need to know how a fryer works or the intricacies of genetically modified potatoes to buy a McDonalds. i shouldn't need to know how complex an airline's revenue management system is to buy a plane ticket.

The problem with the approach of customers not being responsible for knowing how the system works is that they are purchasing a service not goods. It is expected (in just about every service industry I can think of) that you purchase the service you need and that you are responsible for doing the research ahead of time to understand what you need and what T&Cs come along with that. And if you don't understand someone from the company can help explain that different service levels to you.

I don't disagree however that it is part of the industry's job to make it easy on the customers to receive their service that they paid for while adhering to the T&Cs published. There is a great deal of work that can be done (at every airline) when it comes to service recovery but there are such a small number of people that understand how to lead a service recovery mission that it makes it hard for service recovery to be consistent. The airline industry is the only industry where delivering on the promised service only 60-70% of the time is okay but no matter how good your service recovery is; there are still going to be disgruntled people who didn't read the T&Cs ahead of time, didn't plan accurately and people who just don't understand how the industry works.

alfa164 wrote:
Sooner787 wrote:
and clowns like this are the main reason I can't wait to retire. (

Calling your customers "deranged"... a "whiney loon"... "a complete idiot"... and "clowns"... might be the reason so many airlines, their employees, and agents are held in increasing disregard and contempt these days.

Anyone with that attitude really should retire - or find a position where public contact is not a part of the job description.

No matter how great of customer service someone delivers, there are going to be passengers that meet those monikers and people will think that. Are you telling me that when a passenger comes in completely intoxicated and acting crazy that nobody is entitled to think of them as deranged? Or when a passenger loses their temper and begins to punch an employee in the face; are they still not worthy of a passing comment/thought? Passengers have gotten more and more complex, difficult and entitled. In the past 12 months, I've seen more incidents and issues with passengers than in the preceding 36 combined and I don't see any signs of it slowing down. I've had passengers shove their cell phone in my face repeatedly and start berating me while I'm walking from one location to another without any prior interaction with them; simply because I have a company badge on and they are hoping to get a reaction out of me for their fifteen minutes of fame.

casinterest wrote:
The real issue here is that AA sells most of their tickets as Basic Economy.

This just simply isn't true. Only about 15-25% of AA's sales are basic economy depending on the season. This was discussed in several investor calls. The part that confuses most people when it comes to basic economy is that for AA its not a true fare bucket. For every seat sold on a given flight in coach in basic economy, a seat is subtracted from the lowest fare bucket but the "B" bucket remains available up to the very end.

hiflyeras wrote:
I'd never buy a ticket from a third-party seller...I even hesitate with hotels because it's usually nothing but trouble. You check in and they claim you haven't paid but you have, etc...

Most of the time when it comes to airline tickets, there are no issues with the major providers in securing your space on the aircraft. The typical issues that people run into when booking on the 3rd party sites is the seats they "selected" were from a stale/invalid seat map and were never actually reserved. Of course, they don't find that out until they check-in and nothing decent is left. But this isn't the fault of the airlines, often the third party sites don't retrieve updated seat maps at the time of booking and/or don't pass the seat assignments through to the airline.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

global2

Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:05 am

I just can't get past the part of how he booked a ticket to arrive at 6:45PM for a wedding that began at 7PM. And let's back it up a bit further: who invites guests to fly halfway across the country to their wedding but doesn't tell them what time the ceremony is until some casual phone call a couple weeks in advance??? Even if you didn't know the time, wouldn't you at least plan to arrive early in the day to cushion for any delays, give yourself time to check into a hotel, change, etc. What can I say, I always receive a printed invitation in the mail two months in advance that includes the exact time of the ceremony, directions on how to get there, which hotel is offering a discount, etc.. Someone who can't figure out how to plan what time they're getting married and communicate this information to their guests well in advance is someone who I probably wouldn't be close enough to to want to attend.

Scotron12

Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:19 am

AFAIR most of the most restrictive tickets are upgradable to the next fare level, keeping the fare restrictions of the original ticket in place. It's not clear if this was offered to the traveller or he thought at the time was too expensive.

A passenger no show on any airline will entail the entire itinerary being cancelled.

Virtual737

Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:23 am

global2 wrote:
I just can't get past the part of how he booked a ticket to arrive at 6:45PM for a wedding that began at 7PM. And let's back it up a bit further: who invites guests to fly halfway across the country to their wedding but doesn't tell them what time the ceremony is until some casual phone call a couple weeks in advance??? Even if you didn't know the time, wouldn't you at least plan to arrive early in the day to cushion for any delays, give yourself time to check into a hotel, change, etc. What can I say, I always receive a printed invitation in the mail two months in advance that includes the exact time of the ceremony, directions on how to get there, which hotel is offering a discount, etc.. Someone who can't figure out how to plan what time they're getting married and communicate this information to their guests well in advance is someone who I probably wouldn't be close enough to to want to attend.

All of this may be true, but it has zero impact whatsoever as to whether AA were right or wrong.

ctrabs0114

Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:58 am

Jerseyguy wrote:
So if the complaining pax flew Allegiant he would have been in the same boat as AA but if he had flown Spirit or Frontier, They at least would have had a shot provided that NK or F9 had an earlier flight. Thats the one thing I hate about BE fares they are more restrictive than ULCC rules and sometimes airlines use BE against WN which makes no sense. Example EWR-AUS UA no change charge for seats carryon and checked bags. WN No fees for any of that, perhaps you would consider the Early Bird Check-in to be a requirement to get your preferred seat but otherwise no fees.

That's a fair point, presuming G4/NK/F9 serves his intended destination (G4 doesn't serve DFW or DAL; NK serves DFW from BWI, but F9 serves DFW, but not from any Metro DC airport that I'm aware of, but then again, who knows with F9's haphazard scheduling schemes). If neither of the ULCCs (or, for that matter, WN) serve an intended destination, then B/E on the legacy US3 might be the only option.

As for WN's Early Bird Check-in - which, to reiterate is optional - that's not a guarantee that you'll be assigned to Boarding Group A. Now, if you get to the gate and there are available spaces in the A-List (A1-A15) boarding group after you've checked in, then you can pay an additional optional fee to upgrade your boarding spot.

I've had a WN flight or two where I've paid for Early Bird Check-in, which only ensures that you're checked in automatically even if you forget to go online to check in once that period starts - 24 hours, I believe - and have ended up in the middle of Group B. Sometimes I've paid the extra $40 to get a better boarding spot, other times, I've opted to stay in the B-Group.

The key point is that while it's incumbent on the carrier or third-party (ie. travel agent, Orbitz, etc.) to make the basic terms and conditions clear to passengers, the customer accepts responsibility for accepting those terms once the button indicating that "I understand the terms and conditions" is clicked prior to the payment being processed.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), 739 (DL), 712 (DL)
Next: AA: DFW-PHL (752), PHL-MIA (763), MIA-LAX (77W), LAX-DFW (789)

DL717

Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:46 am

DenverTed wrote:

Passenger cheating in hub cities.

Its generally cheaper to fly through a hub than it is to fly to a hub. Hub are there to connect people, not necessarily serve the local traffic. Local traffic pays more for the benefit of not having to connect. Before the airlines started this, people wanting to fly from from New York to Chicago would by a ticket to say, Minneapolis via Chicago saving a couple hundred bucks so they can use their favorite airline, but not use the Chicago to Minneapolis leg. When they would return, they show up in Chicago and board for New York having never flown to Minneapolis. Meanwhile, the good natured airline still sold them a ticket to Minneapolis, that they could have sold to someone else at a higher rate. By canceling the person who is cheating the system, the seat goes back out to inventory and the airline can sell the seat.

Basically, the airline is saying you hose us? We hose you back.

acjbbj wrote:
And everyone thought DeRegulation was a good thing

Deregulation has zero to do with it. The whole policy exists due to passengers gaming the system. Re-regulation would probably do away with the problem, but he wouldn’t have been able to fly in the first place, or anyone else for that matter. That ticket would have been $8k.

By the way, not buying the whole basic economy on short notice for $1300. Those fares are typically gone, but if available about half that unless that’s for multiple passengers.
Last edited by DL717 on Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:05 am, edited 4 times in total.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

eielef

Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:49 am

I believe the no-show policy is a way of extra revenue for the airline, which should seriously be outlawed. In multiple rulings by European courts, I specifically mention a recent one in Spain (https://www.expansion.com/empresas/tran ... b46d2.html) that has made it illegal for Spanish operators to use it. It started with a case of someone having bought the VLC-MAD-EZE route that decided just to take the MAD-EZE and whose whole ticket had been cancelled.
Why? What difference does it make for the airline, what is the perjury, that this person didn't fly the VLC-MAD route? At the end of the day, it happened something good to Iberia. One less passenger to feed, to carry, less airport taxes to pay, less fuel consumed in the airline, and eventually one person less in the possible waiting list.

I'd been furious if it happens. And be sure, airlines don't like showing this high on their rules. Like, if you read the fine print, maybe it is there, but, again, is in the position 16 out of 30.
In contractual law we learned: put the most important clauses first, and leave the bullshit for the last part. So when I write a contract, if it was an transport one, I'd put these clauses first. E.G. If the name of the reservation doesn't match perfectly the one of the passenger, NO-GO. If you show up after the check in closed, NO-GO, in this ticket luggage is not included, and hand luggage is strictly limited to X. If you have more and you don't want to pay, NO-GO. You won't be feeded in this aircraft, because we are too mean and cheap to offer everyone a sandwich and a coke (free of charge, as it should be).
BUT: If we want to delay the flight: bad luck, get some miles to, eventually, after paying lots of money, buy a new ticket in our airline that will probably fail again. Also: if we loose your luggage, we don't accept any responsibility and we'll give you never more than 400U$S as a compensation after very long negotiations. It doesn't matter the suitcase itself was twice that price, and you ruined it because you handle baggage as if it was the waste of the aircraft toilets.

Since the early 2000s, (maybe after 9/11) airlines have been imposing every day more and more restrictions, because, as you have already guessed, we are just hostages of these companies. They say: you paid a Basic Economy Ticket. What the heck does it mean? I paid a ticket that was, say, 500$ and there was a guy who was luckier, or bought it earlier, and paid 50$, and another who bought it last minute and paid 1000$. It happens all the time. And we are seating exactly in the same crappy seat, of a close to 30 year old MD80, on a weird midwestern US city. Now, it seems the guy who paid 50$ has contractually less rights than the one who paid 1500$? Would seem fine. But is not always the case. Because they are so many rules and they are so unclear, I'm never sure if i'll get miles, how many miles, or if are they any good before I buy a ticket.

So, recently, I bought a ticket (a seriously expensive one) using the Air France website. I read the whole contract and there was no information about miles. I checked their website, again nothing. I contacted them on twitter, nothing. I used all my knowledge, but zero. At the end of the trip, I got an email informing I had gotten say 150 miles for a over 18 hour flight. That was because I had paid fare N (who knows what N means?).

Make it ICE clear, give all the information, put it there, don't hide it, don't make it a mystery. Make it easy to understand, as are now the food labels concerning fat and cholesterol and sugar. And let people decide. If it is worth the trouble, or if it is worth paying maybe 10$ more to instead of flying N flying O, which will give you more miles, or will allow you to change for no extra cost the flight. Make it simpler. People is every day more angry with the airlines. And government is doing great looking the other side...

B747forever

Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:51 am

This person has only themselves to blame. Even Orbitz makes it super clear what the restrictions are with a BE fare before payment. When choosing AA flights, Orbitz shows all available fare classes and their restrictions so you can easily choose something that works for you.
Work Hard, Fly Right

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:01 am

eielef wrote:
Why? What difference does it make for the airline, what is the perjury, that this person didn't fly the VLC-MAD route? At the end of the day, it happened something good to Iberia. One less passenger to feed, to carry, less airport taxes to pay, less fuel consumed in the airline, and eventually one person less in the possible waiting list.

The difference is revenue management. By buying VLC-MAD-EZE without wanting to fly VLC-MAD, that person would have denied the airline the chance to let someone else fly on VLC-MAD who is willing to pay more, thus improving the yields on that VLC-MAD flight. Yes, they may have someone to fit in the waiting list, but what if there was no waiting list? What if the person who is willing to pay more chose to fly with other airlines instead, or simply not fly? How will the airlines recover revenue then?

eielef wrote:
So, recently, I bought a ticket (a seriously expensive one) using the Air France website. I read the whole contract and there was no information about miles. I checked their website, again nothing. I contacted them on twitter, nothing. I used all my knowledge, but zero. At the end of the trip, I got an email informing I had gotten say 150 miles for a over 18 hour flight. That was because I had paid fare N (who knows what N means?).

Not sure which Air France website you went on, but this is what I got from the fare selector page on the Air France Website when I was looking for flights:

Light
1 hand baggage item and 1 accessory only(12 kg total*) .* This applies to flights operated by KLM or Air France. For other airlines, please check the airline's website for baggage rules.
1981 Flying Blue Miles
Flying Blue members earn 17 XP
Cancellation is not possible
Change fee USD 120 + fare difference
No refund if you missed your flight

Standard
1 hand baggage item and 1 accessory (12 kg total*) and 1 check-in baggage item(s) (23 kg each) included. * This applies to flights operated by KLM or Air France. For other airlines, please check the airline‘s website for baggage rules.
2068 Flying Blue Miles
Cancellation is not possible
Change fee USD 120 + fare difference
No refund if you missed your flight

Flex
1 hand baggage item and 1 accessory (12 kg total*) and 1 check-in baggage item(s) (23 kg each) included. * This applies to flights operated by KLM or Air France. For other airlines, please check the airline‘s website for baggage rules.
2251 Flying Blue Miles
Choice of standard seat
Refund if you decide to cancel
Change fee MYR 0 + fare difference
Refund if you missed your flight

Business
2 hand baggage items and 1 accessory (18 kg total*) and 2 check-in baggage item(s) (32 kg each) included. * This applies to flights operated by KLM or Air France. For other airlines, please check the airline‘s website for baggage rules.
5287 Flying Blue Miles
Flying Blue members earn 51 XP
SkyPriority benefits on flights operated by KLM or AIR FRANCE
Refund if you decide to cancel
Change fee MYR 0 + fare difference
Refund if you missed your flight

DL717

Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:08 am

fallap wrote:
So this is basically a disgruntled and oblivious redneck that did not do his homework before going off buying airline tickets. A week before the wedding and he hasn't checked with the bride (or groom for that matter) when the actual ceremony takes place. Impressive.

I don’t think he’s a redneck. Read the original letter and the comments that followed. There are more “n” bombs in there than a top 10 rap song.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos