kiowa

Re: Trump Hosts Meeting b/w QR and the U.S. Carriers

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:13 pm

Tiege212 wrote:
Let's face it. The real reason the USA airlines are complaining about this is that airlines have been bullied into paying their employees a ridiculous annual salary. The CEO's pockets are taking the hit because of the concessions that the unions have been able to negotiate and they're not happy. Although DL has been one of the loudest voices against the EAU it's funny how they decided to not even send someone to the table. I guess $2B in profits for several years has a way of keeping you quiet when the issues are brought forward. When the industry takes it's next downturn ( and it will ) DL will be the first one bringing this back up as the reason for the downturn. Mis-management in the industry as a whole has always been prevalent and now is no different. DL tried to change their business model and it has worked for now. Winds of change will come again and we will see at least one more major fall again. IMO

Now there is a lovely statement. A healthy middle-class is a horrible thing! That takes money away from those at the top! To use your example, the CEO of Delta should have made more than his $13.2 million dollars in 2017 and would of except for the flight attendants who made a "ridiculous annual salary". Hopefully he can get more next year so he can trade in his 1988 Oldsmobile.

TObound

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:18 pm

This story is utterly hilarious. I remember when a lot of rah rah American posters thought Trump would go to bat for the much aggrieved US3. It's hilarious how it's working out.

Boof02671

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:12 pm

Doug is such a hypocrite, he says he wants to protect American jobs but outsources aircraft maintenance to Brazil, El Salvador, China and wants to increase foreign outsourcing.

airtran737

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:17 pm

I love that he made fun of Doug Parker to his face. He is driving AA lower and lower everyday and his tenure will go down as a failure.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

scbriml

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:03 pm

kiowa wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
Pretty embarrassing for US3. A good outcome that they walked away with their tails between their legs.

Why would that be “good”? An elected official should represent the citizens that elected them, the president included. US3 stands for “United States 3”

He is, but maybe he's looking at the bigger picture. How about more choice and competition for the fare-paying public? ME3 are spending $billions buying new Boeings. How about considering the cancellations and probable job losses if ME3 are severely restricted in the US market? How about the US military loses access to bases in Qatar and UAE?

For all their bleating about 'unfair competition' (while making $billions in profits), those very same airlines are more than happy to sign non-competitive, antitrust-immune JVs left, right and centre. It's hardly surprising they don't get much sympathy.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

N649DL

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:27 pm

Bigstud69 wrote:
"current occupant" I think we refer to him as President Trump.

I can see your TDS limits your world view based on your fictional thinking.
The President is hosting a meeting nothing more. Either way his involvement is a good thing.

How true is it that some people with TDS (especially within the media) will do or say anything to make POTUS look bad or controversial, but Obama could've done the same things and they would've said "he's so hip and cool!"

It is what it is, a meeting, and he's had plenty of these types of "Round Table" meetings with different verticals since elected. Although what's interesting is how I know for a fact that Doug Parker didn't vote for him and skipped out on the first meeting last year with Bastian / Munoz / President T. I wonder who twisted his arm to get to the W.H.?

strfyr51

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:42 pm

FriscoHeavy wrote:
Can't we just all be happy that all the sides are coming together to talk and try to come to a compromise that everyone can accept? That's how things should be. Sit down, discuss your differences and come up with an amicable solution. There is no need to bash or belittle anyone involved with the talks - Be it the airlines or President Trump.

Coming together to do WHAT?? Did Trump think they were going to change their minds because of HIM? YGBSM!! He Owes them!
The Airline CEO's Don't owe him Squat! And? He's not going to do much to change their minds! The Delta CEO Blew him Off! He must have known the "Real Deal"!
Trump Got his 30 pieces of silver!!

flyingcat

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:25 pm

I think the airline CEOs should have been far smarter at getting the president's attention on the right topics. If you voted for him or not, the surface details stick in his mind and you have to ready to respond to any slights.
1. Bring a huge gift
2. Remind him that your airline Boeing orders are more numerous than the ME carriers
3. Mention that their pricing is reducing their ability to have premium cabins like the Trump shuttle. Play up that Trump Shuttle standards are the GOAL, but MEA dumping is making that impossible!!!
Last edited by flyingcat on Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TObound

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:58 pm

flyingcat wrote:
I think the airline CEOs should have been far smarter at getting the president's attention on the right topics. If you voted for him or not, the surface details stick in his mind and you have to ready to respond to any slights.
1. Bring a huge gift
2. Remind him that your airline Boeing orders are more numerous than the ME carriers
3. Mention that their pricing is reducing their ability to have premium cabins like the Trump shuttle. Play up that Trump Shuttle standards are the GOAL, but MEA dumping is making that impossible!!!

If the airline CEOs were smart they would have cut his son-in-law a cheque. Did anybody really think Kushner getting bailed out by the Qataris is somehow not on Trump's mind when he met with the airline CEOs? It's almost like these CEOs really believe that Trump buys into his pro-American TV persona. If they actually buy that, they shouldn't have their jobs.

Ed Bastian was at least smart enough not to waste his time on this nonsense.

jfern022

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:51 pm

LAXintl wrote:
US3 hardly represent the USA as FedEx, JetBlue, Atlas Air, Boeing, US Travel Association and many other groups have proven.

The only thing US3 represent are the US3 and they would happily live in a market where they would hold near total control and minimal competition.

Just like 45’s best buds at Boeing that wanted to use the US government as their puppet to fight off bombardier?? How soon we forget

MrBretz

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:10 pm

jfern022 wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
US3 hardly represent the USA as FedEx, JetBlue, Atlas Air, Boeing, US Travel Association and many other groups have proven.

The only thing US3 represent are the US3 and they would happily live in a market where they would hold near total control and minimal competition.

Just like 45’s best buds at Boeing that wanted to use the US government as their puppet to fight off bombardier?? How soon we forget

It is true about every airline in every country. Everyone is greedy. It is human nature. And since corporations are people, it is true about them too.

tys777

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:30 pm

A reminder to remain on topic and please refrain from political attacks.

Pellegrine

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:31 pm

I don't even see how the US3 and ME3 overlap in the majority of cases. The US3 has chosen to ignore the Middle East with the exception of UA, but still. I heard the meeting involved a lot of shouting and nonsense. Typical.
oh boy, here we go!!!

Atlwarrior

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:16 am

CRJ200flyer wrote:
Is $5.5M over two years to fly IND-CDG a subsidy for Delta?

https://centreforaviation.com/analysis/reports/delta-air-lines-shifts-its-non-hub-flights-serving-paris-476712

The package Delta forged with the Indiana Economic Development Cooperation included up to USD5.5 million over a two year period – USD3.5 million in the first year and USD2 million in the second, based on the number of passengers the flights garnered. During year one, Delta would receive USD110 per round trip passenger that boards the flight and USD70 per round trip the second year.

The publication recently reported that it took less than a year for Delta to earn the USD3.5 million in the incentive agreement.

How about fuel taxes waived for Delta in Atlanta?

How about employee bonuses totally 441 million dollars in February for Delta's 25,000 Atlanta employees.

enilria
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:21 am

TObound wrote:
This story is utterly hilarious. I remember when a lot of rah rah American posters thought Trump would go to bat for the much aggrieved US3. It's hilarious how it's working out.

I remember saying that Trump is the only U.S. President to have ever owned an airline and it was run out of business by pretty much these same airlines which implied to me he was not predisposed to support them against the ME3. I got a lot of scorn, but it has turned out I was pretty close.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/airport/report ... 1GBL8xkmL/

enilria
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:26 am

N649DL wrote:
Bigstud69 wrote:

The President is hosting a meeting nothing more. Either way his involvement is a good thing.

How true is it that some people with TDS (especially within the media) will do or say anything to make POTUS look bad or controversial, but Obama could've done the same things and they would've said "he's so hip and cool!"

It is what it is, a meeting, and he's had plenty of these types of "Round Table" meetings with different verticals since elected. Although what's interesting is how I know for a fact that Doug Parker didn't vote for him and skipped out on the first meeting last year with Bastian / Munoz / President T. I wonder who twisted his arm to get to the W.H.?

It's also remarkable that Delta didn't send Hauenstein. That would have been fine, but Delta made a political statement and sent nobody. This is why this era of companies taking political positions is bad for shareholders. Although the US3 case is very weak here as they are all based in the only large country in the world other than China with basically exclusively government owned/run airports.

N649DL

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:23 pm

enilria wrote:
N649DL wrote:
Bigstud69 wrote:

It's also remarkable that Delta didn't send Hauenstein. That would have been fine, but Delta made a political statement and sent nobody. This is why this era of companies taking political positions is bad for shareholders. Although the US3 case is very weak here as they are all based in the only large country in the world other than China with basically exclusively government owned/run airports.

I doubt it was intentional. DL released an pro-US3 propaganda video last year featuring Trump at rallies and DL employees praising him. Last time Bastian went to the W.H. he looked extremely giddy (and Munoz looked miserable.)

enilria
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:20 pm

N649DL wrote:
I doubt it was intentional. DL released an pro-US3 propaganda video last year featuring Trump at rallies and DL employees praising him. Last time Bastian went to the W.H. he looked extremely giddy (and Munoz looked miserable.)

Not sending *anyone* looked bad.

Varsity1

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:48 am

flybry wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
Chapter 11 doesn’t cost the tax payers.

What about all the courts, judges and government lawyers who deal with bankruptcy cases? The tax payers pay for all of that. And it’s not cheap.

Court costs pay for that. It's charged to the defendant (airlines).

Its come to my attention how much misinformation there is about American bankruptcy court in foreign lands.

It's not a subsidy, it's not a bailout. It's a prioritization of claims on the standing assets of an organization with more liabilities than assets by a judge. If the owners of those claims decide to keep the operation going, and it has enough assets to pay for daily going concern (not to be liquidated) it can continue to operate with consent of the judge.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

flybry

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:14 am

Varsity1 wrote:
flybry wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
Chapter 11 doesn’t cost the tax payers.

What about all the courts, judges and government lawyers who deal with bankruptcy cases? The tax payers pay for all of that. And it’s not cheap.

Its come to my attention how much misinformation there is about American bankruptcy court in foreign lands.

It's not a subsidy, it's not a bailout. It's a prioritization of claims on the standing assets of an organization with more liabilities than assets by a judge. If the owners of those claims decide to keep the operation going, and it has enough assets to pay for daily going concern (not to be liquidated) it can continue to operate with consent of the judge.

Thanks for the info. I guess I was wrong. Bankruptcy costs the tax payers absolutely nothing and it’s the company filing for bankruptcy that pays everything, including the court costs, the judges’ salaries and all of the attorneys’ fees. I had no idea!

enilria
Topic Author

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:46 pm

flybry wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
flybry wrote:

Thanks for the info. I guess I was wrong. Bankruptcy costs the tax payers absolutely nothing and it’s the company filing for bankruptcy that pays everything, including the court costs, the judges’ salaries and all of the attorneys’ fees. I had no idea!

You were right the first time. The PGBC which took over the airline pensions in Ch11 has not yet, but will soon fall back on the taxpayer. There is already a bill to do that. It just hasn't passed yet. It's just a shell entity to hold the debt, but at the end of the day it is backed by the taxpayers and it has $65B in negative value that can only be funded by taxpayers. It's not even possible to raise insurance fees enough to cover the shortfall.

The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. was created by Congress to provide a financial backstop for pension plans, but the PBGC’s program to insure multiemployer plans is severely underfunded. It had $67.3 billion in liabilities as of last year and just $2.3 billion in assets. The entire fund is projected to run out of money by 2025, although the agency said “there is considerable risk that it could run out before then.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... 6e550526fc

airbazar

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:22 pm

fightforlove wrote:
Is it just me, or is Trump the first President who seems to be involved in every major airline deal??

Why does everything have to be political nowadays???

The airline industry has always been political. The fact that you need a government's authorization just to fly to or thru a country makes it inherently political. The fact that Trump is the first president truly living in the area of social media and knows how to use it (I consider social media still in its infancy during the previous administration), it doesn't mean things were any different before.

flybry

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:57 pm

enilria wrote:
flybry wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

You were right the first time. The PGBC which took over the airline pensions in Ch11 has not yet, but will soon fall back on the taxpayer. There is already a bill to do that. It just hasn't passed yet. It's just a shell entity to hold the debt, but at the end of the day it is backed by the taxpayers and it has $65B in negative value that can only be funded by taxpayers. It's not even possible to raise insurance fees enough to cover the shortfall.

The Pension Benefit Guaranty Corp. was created by Congress to provide a financial backstop for pension plans, but the PBGC’s program to insure multiemployer plans is severely underfunded. It had $67.3 billion in liabilities as of last year and just $2.3 billion in assets. The entire fund is projected to run out of money by 2025, although the agency said “there is considerable risk that it could run out before then.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business ... 6e550526fc

Thanks! This is good info.

AEROFAN

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:05 pm

airtran737 wrote:
I love that he made fun of Doug Parker to his face. He is driving AA lower and lower everyday and his tenure will go down as a failure.

Really? I find some of you quite amazing! This is the sort of behavior you find acceptable in elected officials... No wonder...
Open skies with the Me3 should be done away with as it is more beneficial to those carriers than US airlines.

eta unknown

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:45 pm

The US3 are free to launch multiple flights to AUH/DXB/DOH from their respective hubs with full beyond traffic rights to India/Pakistan/Africa. They just choose not to do so.
IMHO there might be a legitimate gripe about EK's NYC flights via ATH/DXB, but going after Air Italy, especially when the EU firmly stated they had no case, was deeply misguided.

airbazar

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:49 pm

AEROFAN wrote:
Open skies with the ME3 should be done away with as it is more beneficial to those carriers than US airlines.

But its beneficial to U.S. airlines too so that excuse doesn't fly. B6 is a huge benefactor of this open skies agreement which is probably why DL is not happy with open skies.
But at the end of the day, open skies has nothing to do with it being beneficial to any specific airline or not. Open Skies is a trade agreement and its number one goal is to be beneficial to the economy of the countries involved. For that reason the U.S. has open skies agreements with multiple countries. The evidence shows that open skies with Qatar and the UAE benefits both our economy as well as the bottom line of U.S. carriers.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/edfuller/2 ... d93172d142
https://www.ustravel.org/news/case-agai ... ling-apart

LX015

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:24 pm

airbazar wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
Open skies with the ME3 should be done away with as it is more beneficial to those carriers than US airlines.
B6 is a huge benefactor of this open skies agreement which is probably why DL is not happy with open skies.

Please forgive my ignorance, but in what way is B6 a huge benefactor?

AEROFAN

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:06 pm

LX015 wrote:
airbazar wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:
B6 is a huge benefactor of this open skies agreement which is probably why DL is not happy with open skies.

I suspect he is referring to "connecting passengers"

AEROFAN

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:13 pm

airbazar wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:

But its beneficial to U.S. airlines too so that excuse doesn't fly. B6 is a huge benefactor of this open skies agreement which is probably why DL is not happy with open skies.
But at the end of the day, open skies has nothing to do with it being beneficial to any specific airline or not. Open Skies is a trade agreement and its number one goal is to be beneficial to the economy of the countries involved. For that reason the U.S. has open skies agreements with multiple countries. The evidence shows that open skies with Qatar and the UAE benefits both our economy as well as the bottom line of U.S. carriers.

The vaunted benefits is smoke and mirrors for the ME3. By all means, have an open skies agreement with countries where there is mutual benefits for all carrriers and countries. If it's all onesided, there is no benefit and such agreement should not be in place.
I hardly think that this is the reason why DL abhors it. If it did, it would abhor many other treaties that are in place. Open skies was intended to provide ease of movement between two territories. It benefits the ME3 and their catchment areas dumping people in the US, the reverse does not hold true.

enilria
Topic Author

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:54 pm

eta unknown wrote:
IMHO there might be a legitimate gripe about EK's NYC flights via ATH/DXB

How is that even a legitimate gripe? DL announced today that they will start Seoul-Manila with their own aircraft. Really no difference from EK flying EWR-ATH. I would argue that DL is even a few more degrees into the woods because these are 5th Freedom routes that are supposed to be a continuation of a flight to the home country. While EK always uses the same plane that continues onward to DXB, DL has routinely used a smaller, different aircraft for their 5th Freedom legs which breaks the spirit of what 5th Freedom even is supposed to be. What they have been doing is de facto 7th Freedom with only 5th Freedom rights.

airbazar

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:11 pm

AEROFAN wrote:
LX015 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

I suspect he is referring to "connecting passengers"

Indeed. B6 and EK have an extensive code-share agreement which is why they are in a coalition of U.S. carrier in favor of open skies.

AEROFAN wrote:
The vaunted benefits is smoke and mirrors for the ME3.

Typical. You don't like it so therefore it's fake news.

LAXintl

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:57 pm

Ed Bastian was on vacation hence his no show

Now Bastian has given Delta employees a fuller explanation. In a video message, Bastian said that he was on a one-week international vacation with his family and that he was unwilling to cancel it. He said, "My family makes a lot of sacrifices with Delta. I ask them to do a lot of things. I wasn’t about ready to ask them to cancel a long-scheduled vacation."

Bastian also told employees that the meeting with the President "was not about the whole Middle Eastern issue, it was really very limited to Qatar and the Air Italy situation." In essence it wasn't as important a meeting as it might have been and he didn't feel the need to be there, deferring instead to United's Oscar Munoz and American's Doug Parker to make their case instead.

Delta's CEO Explains Why He Skipped A Meeting With President Trump
https://www.forbes.com/sites/garyleff/2 ... 2442a6137c
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

waly777

Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:23 am

AEROFAN wrote:
airbazar wrote:
AEROFAN wrote:

The vaunted benefits is smoke and mirrors for the ME3. By all means, have an open skies agreement with countries where there is mutual benefits for all carrriers and countries. If it's all onesided, there is no benefit and such agreement should not be in place.
I hardly think that this is the reason why DL abhors it. If it did, it would abhor many other treaties that are in place. Open skies was intended to provide ease of movement between two territories. It benefits the ME3 and their catchment areas dumping people in the US, the reverse does not hold true.

Tell that to Jetblue and Alaska who make excellent money providing and receiving feed from said carriers. Ah yes, also do not forget Fedex and UPS with major sorting centres in Dubai as well, because apparently if it does not benefit the US3 (currently the most profitable airlines in the world for almost a decade), then it's of no importance. And lest we forget, the flying public does not get a say as well because they would like to pay more money to the US3 for international travel as they currently do for local travel within the US... :roll: :roll:
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function

eta unknown

Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:45 am

Eniliria- my response was prefaced by IMHO and comparing EK with IG is not the same issue. Don't forget years ago SQ got kicked out of YYZ for their FRA/VIE-YYZ pricing.

lesfalls

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:29 am

eta unknown wrote:
Eniliria- my response was prefaced by IMHO and comparing EK with IG is not the same issue. Don't forget years ago SQ got kicked out of YYZ for their FRA/VIE-YYZ pricing.

What was the case with that if I may ask?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

PW100

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:57 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Ed Bastian was on vacation hence his no show

Now Bastian has given Delta employees a fuller explanation. In a video message, Bastian said that he was on a one-week international vacation with his family and that he was unwilling to cancel it. He said, "My family makes a lot of sacrifices with Delta. I ask them to do a lot of things. I wasn’t about ready to ask them to cancel a long-scheduled vacation."

Bastian also told employees that the meeting with the President "was not about the whole Middle Eastern issue, it was really very limited to Qatar and the Air Italy situation." In essence it wasn't as important a meeting as it might have been and he didn't feel the need to be there, deferring instead to United's Oscar Munoz and American's Doug Parker to make their case instead.

Delta's CEO Explains Why He Skipped A Meeting With President Trump
https://www.forbes.com/sites/garyleff/2 ... 2442a6137c

He still could have send someone else high up in the ranks . . . or were they all on a long planned vacation?

It's rather unusual to have your compeition look over your interests. Usually that means you have no real interest in the matter in hand, and can't be bothered by the outcome.
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos