FARmd90
Topic Author

F9 to start FAR-PHX

Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:40 pm

https://fargoairport.com/frontier-airli ... l-airport/

In a rather low fan fare announcement, Frontier announced seasonal service on FAR-PHX starting in November 14th at 3 weekly Thur, Sat, Tue. Flights are showing A320

FAR 9:30p
PHX 12:07a
PHX 4:33p
FAR 8:40p

Also Fargo was named “busiest small airport” with having 553,492 customers using the airport in the previous 12mo. Small airports are classified with customers of 510,000-554,000.

azstar

Re: F9 to start FAR-PHX

Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:48 pm

This might be a struggle. Allegiant flies FAR-IWA daily during the peak season. And, both F9 and G4 are notorious for withdrawing from markets at the drop of a hat, especially once the revenue subsidy runs out. I was disappointed that DL discontinued SLC-FAR service, and FAR-ATL "seasonal" service rarely operates at all.

enilria

Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:51 pm

I assumed there was a thread on this when it was announced Wednesday, but I don't see one...
PHX was added to San Diego, Detroit, Fargo, and Salt Lake City.
https://news.flyfrontier.com/frontier-a ... m-phoenix/

FARmd90
Topic Author

Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:59 pm

azstar wrote:
This might be a struggle. Allegiant flies FAR-IWA daily during the peak season. And, both F9 and G4 are notorious for withdrawing from markets at the drop of a hat, especially once the revenue subsidy runs out. I was disappointed that DL discontinued SLC-FAR service, and FAR-ATL "seasonal" service rarely operates at all.

I think if anyone will end up dropping this route it will be F9. Allegiant seems to have a good hold on this market flying year round and daily in peak season even double daily sometimes. And with this route overflying one of F9s hubs I think it’s strange that they picked PHX when they could just route them through DEN and try a new sun destination from FAR to have to themselves. But maybe they saw a lot of connecting pax on their FAR-DEN to PHX.

I wish the SLC flight would come back and ATL run more consistently but what can you do. It’s a shame AA didn’t get on PHX before F9

Frontier14

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:18 pm

FARmd90 wrote:
azstar wrote:

I think if anyone will end up dropping this route it will be F9. Allegiant seems to have a good hold on this market flying year round and daily in peak season even double daily sometimes. And with this route overflying one of F9s hubs I think it’s strange that they picked PHX when they could just route them through DEN and try a new sun destination from FAR to have to themselves. But maybe they saw a lot of connecting pax on their FAR-DEN to PHX.

I wish the SLC flight would come back and ATL run more consistently but what can you do. It’s a shame AA didn’t get on PHX before F9

You may well be right in that the route's long term viability is questionable. However, it appears that F9 is trying to get some added winter traction out of Phoenix with this recent announcement. Can they compete with G4 on the Fargo route remains to be seen. Also, the other three adds are each dominated by a Big 4 which makes one wonder if they can survive too.

Frontier has a number of new planes arriving between now and the end of the year. They need to have them operate where there is a chance of success. There are a lot of mid-westerners who make Arizona their winter refuge. I am betting, if the air fares are kept low, the FAR route and the others may well be sustainable.

Frontier 14

Dreamflight767

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:55 pm

Won't be surprised if DL & AA join in, if not already - can't remember and too busy to check google.

maps4ltd

Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:56 pm

This is FAR-fetched.
Delta Gold Medallion and Southwest A-List

910A

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:06 pm

enilria wrote:
I assumed there was a thread on this when it was announced Wednesday, but I don't see one...

I'll give you the old stand-by...It's already .....in Phoenix thread... :rotfl:
Last edited by 910A on Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ishrion

Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:06 pm

Dreamflight767 wrote:
Won't be surprised if DL & AA join in, if not already - can't remember and too busy to check google.

AA doesn't currently operate FAR-PHX.

Why would DL join in?

Dreamflight767

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:28 pm

Ishrion wrote:
Dreamflight767 wrote:

Why would DL join in?

ND is DL territory.

Ishrion

Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:35 pm

Dreamflight767 wrote:
Ishrion wrote:
Dreamflight767 wrote:

Why would DL join in?

ND is DL territory.

But... Phoenix and Fargo aren’t DL hubs. Why would they start flights between the two cities? They don’t even have flights from Fargo to Salt Lake City, Detroit, or New York...

F9LASDEN

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:12 pm

Frontier14 wrote:
FARmd90 wrote:
azstar wrote:

You may well be right in that the route's long term viability is questionable. However, it appears that F9 is trying to get some added winter traction out of Phoenix with this recent announcement. Can they compete with G4 on the Fargo route remains to be seen. Also, the other three adds are each dominated by a Big 4 which makes one wonder if they can survive too.

Frontier has a number of new planes arriving between now and the end of the year. They need to have them operate where there is a chance of success. There are a lot of mid-westerners who make Arizona their winter refuge. I am betting, if the air fares are kept low, the FAR route and the others may well be sustainable.

Frontier 14

F9 is running a decent (by F9 standards, anyway) slate of flights out of PHX this winter, including several Midwest flights, some of which were dismissed as doomed-to-fail from the beginning when they were announced last year but are returning for another season this year, in spite of AA competition (GRR and MSN specifically). This winter, F9 will be running out of PHX:

-DEN: 3x daily, A319 (1x)/A320(2x)
-LAS: 2x daily, A320
-COS: 10x weekly (2x on Tu/Th/Su), A320
-ORD: Daily, A320
-CLE: Daily, A320
-SAN: Daily, A320
-SLC: Daily, A320
-DTW: 4x weekly (M/W/F/Sa), A320
-MKE: 4x weekly (M/W/F/Sa), A320
-FAR: 3x weekly (Tu/Th/Su), A320
-CVG: 3x weekly (Tu/Th/Su), A320
-DSM: 3x weekly (Tu/Th/Su), A320
-GRR: 2x weekly (M/F), A320
-MSN: 2x weekly (M/F), A320
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right

wetpantsmcgee

Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:56 pm

Hopefully with these new flights, F9 will put more pressure on their ramp contractor to add more staff and prioritize better. They're often unable to handle more than 1 flight at a time, and we often get called about angry passengers waiting an hour for bags.

F9LASDEN

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:01 pm

F9LASDEN wrote:
Frontier14 wrote:
FARmd90 wrote:

Frontier 14

F9 is running a decent (by F9 standards, anyway) slate of flights out of PHX this winter, including several Midwest flights, some of which were dismissed as doomed-to-fail from the beginning when they were announced last year but are returning for another season this year, in spite of AA competition (GRR and MSN specifically). This winter, F9 will be running out of PHX:

-DEN: 3x daily, A319 (1x)/A320(2x)
-LAS: 2x daily, A320
-COS: 10x weekly (2x on Tu/Th/Su), A320
-ORD: Daily, A320
-CLE: Daily, A320
-SAN: Daily, A320
-SLC: Daily, A320
-DTW: 4x weekly (M/W/F/Sa), A320
-MKE: 4x weekly (M/W/F/Sa), A320
-FAR: 3x weekly (Tu/Th/Su), A320
-CVG: 3x weekly (Tu/Th/Su), A320
-DSM: 3x weekly (Tu/Th/Su), A320
-GRR: 2x weekly (M/F), A320
-MSN: 2x weekly (M/F), A320

CORRECTION: MSN-PHX is Wed/Sat, not Mon/Fri.
Spirit of the West...A Whole Different Animal...Low Fares Done Right

JohnAudiR18

Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:08 pm

I'm still waiting for GFK-ORD and GFK-DFW on AA metal. Or at the very least more flights in and out of FAR, so i can standby on them

MIflyer12

Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:07 pm

enilria wrote:

I don't see how F9 survives as the 4th non-stop carrier (DL/AA/WN) on a relatively thin route like DTW-PHX but I'm happy to see the price competition. DL is clearly ignoring the $79 each way intro fares for the moment.

azstar

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:54 pm

Talk about overkill. Now AA has announced nonstop PHX-FAR flights for the winter months. I smell a fare war.

FARmd90
Topic Author

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:57 pm

azstar wrote:
Talk about overkill. Now AA has announced nonstop PHX-FAR flights for the winter months. I smell a fare war.

I just saw this on the FAR Facebook page. Looks likes it’s going to be an interesting winter. Honestly though with cheap fares and AAs connections in PHX this route mught do well for them.

DakotaFlyer

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:29 am

JohnAudiR18 wrote:
I'm still waiting for GFK-ORD and GFK-DFW on AA metal. Or at the very least more flights in and out of FAR, so i can standby on them

I still have a hard time understanding why someone else besides DL can't at least offer a 2x daily out of there. UA has tried twice and failed, G4 is basically minimal. Hoping F9 takes a stab as GFK was an orginal destination for them many many years ago, but that would be competing with Fargo.

If the EAS service ever gets pulled from DVL and Thief River, there might be a better chance.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos