x1234
Topic Author

Rumour: 2020 launch of UA EWR-BLR (Bangalore, India)

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:41 am

There's a rumor floating around in Route Planning circles I'm hearing that UA is planning on a 2020 launch of EWR-BLR (Bangalore, India) on a 789 as more 789's are delivered and Polaris'ed. Also a rumor that SFO-BOM then SFO-BLR will launch IF SFO-DEL is successful. India expansion is back as Pakistani airspace is opened again. Trump is working with the PM of Pakistan for stability of the airspace + defense with the Pakistani PM meeting Trump soon. For UA India revenue is increasingly like China with MUCH less competition on the India-US non-stops versus the CN3 in terms of China. Some businesses realize not everyone wants to go through the volatile Middle East in the middle of the night with the recent Iran tensions.
Last edited by SQ22 on Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

Ishrion

Re: 2020 launch of UA EWR-BLR (Bangalore, India) rumor

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:46 am

Is there a source/link for this rumor or is it something that you heard?

x1234
Topic Author

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:49 am

Something I've heard.

TWA772LR

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:55 am

India is the way to go, period. UA would command a nice premium for nonstops over the ME3.I wonder if IAD/ORD-DEL are being considered. And, for my pipedream ambitions, IAH-BOM.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

BrooklyBOMgal

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:11 am

Mods why a separate thread for this topic? This can be discussed in the Indian aviation thread.

Nicknuzzii

Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:41 am

BrooklyBOMgal wrote:
Mods why a separate thread for this topic? This can be discussed in the Indian aviation thread.

It's a pretty strong rumour that gets little attention elsewhere.

stl07

Sat Jul 20, 2019 6:24 am

This is exactly what I have been saying for years. The best way to beat the ME3 is to overfly them
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

TEMPO

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:33 am

Nicknuzzii wrote:
BrooklyBOMgal wrote:

It's a pretty strong rumour that gets little attention elsewhere.

I agree. Breakout stories, and this appears to be one, deserve their own thread. As a BLR regular from a UA hub, but not from EWR, alas, I am excited to see how this plays out. We had to wait forever for the DL BOM rumour to turn into reality. In fact, on that one, we’ve had the announcement, but not the commencement. Watching this thread with great interest.

DCA350

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:28 am

stl07 wrote:
This is exactly what I have been saying for years. The best way to beat the ME3 is to overfly them

At what cost? India is a price sensitive market, most aren't going to pay 50%+ more for a non stop.. the premium cabin will make or break this flight if it comes to fruition.

rnav2dlrey

Re: Rumour: 2020 launch of UA EWR-BLR (Bangalore, India)

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:40 am

i think EWR-BLR would be a winner, no doubt. but SFO-BLR (and possibly even SJC-BLR) would be even better. california to BLR may be technically impossible with the 789, however.

the LOPA for UA’s new 789 config leaked earlier in the week. it’s a little more Y-heavy than most expected, given that UA has leaned towards a larger premium cabin ratio with its widebody fleet under oscar.

it might be a PITA for UA to have a sub-fleet of ~10 low-density 789, but premium-heavy ULH routes like BLR, SIN and EWR-HKG would be more profitable with a larger J cabin.

voxkel

Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:31 pm

My gut feeling is that ORD-BOM and SFO-BLR are the next India routes for UA.

edealinfo

Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:34 pm

I can’t wait for this to happen. Looks like UA is betting heavily on India and I hope they succeed. DL is the turtle here.

MIflyer12

Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:36 pm

Route Planning may be looking at the numbers but that's a decision that gets made in the Exec suite.

CALMSP

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:29 pm

EWR-BLR was a sCO plan years ago, so I'd say its about time!

STT757

Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:49 pm

CALMSP wrote:

When CO first ordered the 787 the VP for Europe, Middle East and India cited to the media their plans to launch EWR-Bangalore/ Chennai and Hyderabad.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 425348.cms

The other route CO planned when they ordered the 787 was IAH-SYD, which UA luanched.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Insertnamehere

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:00 pm

I'm sure the front end of the cabin will be nicely filled. I know United makes a killing on their EWR-BOM route charging huge amounts for the nonstop especially to corporate clients.
Should be a good money maker for United especially if they put Polaris equipped aircraft on the route.

dmstorm22

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:07 pm

Always thought it made sense. Biggest risk I imagine with this (and other expansion in India) is potential cannibalization of their current US-India traffic, but I think there's significant room to grow before that tipping point is reached.

Pellegrine

Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:38 pm

x1234 wrote:
Some businesses realize not everyone wants to go through the volatile Middle East in the middle of the night with the recent Iran tensions.

Please. I haven't heard of one single business traveler who's afraid to overfly Iran on a ME3 carrier.

I'll agree with the poster who said the way to combat the ME3 is to overfly them, because we all know they can't beat them on service.
oh boy, here we go!!!

SFOtoORD

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:26 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
Always thought it made sense. Biggest risk I imagine with this (and other expansion in India) is potential cannibalization of their current US-India traffic, but I think there's significant room to grow before that tipping point is reached.

I don’t see that as a big issue. It’s not a pleasant approach to connect in DEL or BOM to get to BLR. I’m most likely to connect in FRA in that case.

jfklganyc

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:26 pm

BLR has been rumored for years

Let’s get their current Indian stuff restarted in Sept before we got wild on a.net

DTWLAX

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:44 pm

I have my doubts on UA starting EWR-BLR. I would expect UA to start SFO-BLR first connecting two major IT/Silicon Valley hubs.
Not sure how much O&D is there between EWR and BLR

747megatop

Sat Jul 20, 2019 4:45 pm

stl07 wrote:

I have been saying this too in many posts. ME3 has a business model overly reliant on transfer traffic. They are very susceptible to being overflown. They are not a strong O&D business (and leisure) destination by themselves in my opinion relative to Hong Kong, Singapore, Beijing, New York, London, Los Angeles..or for that matter Mumbai, Delhi. I am not saying that ME3 hubs are not visited; but they rely too much on transfer traffic which when taken away cannot justify the overly large hubs and the airlines hubbing out of them. Picture an ATL with all the transfer traffic gone...there is nothing left..just 30% O&D traffic and very soon an oversized terminal with an oversized airfield.

TryToFlySomeday

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:16 pm

747megatop wrote:
stl07 wrote:

I have been saying this too in many posts. ME3 has a business model overly reliant on transfer traffic. They are very susceptible to being overflown. They are not a strong O&D business (and leisure) destination by themselves in my opinion relative to Hong Kong, Singapore, Beijing, New York, London, Los Angeles..or for that matter Mumbai, Delhi. I am not saying that ME3 hubs are not visited; but they rely too much on transfer traffic which when taken away cannot justify the overly large hubs and the airlines hubbing out of them. Picture an ATL with all the transfer traffic gone...there is nothing left..just 30% O&D traffic and very soon an oversized terminal with an oversized airfield.

Dubai is an O&D destination. Emirates can adjust accordingly. Abu Dhabi and Doha, not so much. Why else would Qatar Airways pour so much money in IAG, Air Italy and Cathay Pacific?

Unfortunately, ME3 gets my business way too often. I’d rather fly a nonstop to KHI, or connect in LHR, unlike India, ME3 is all I’ll ever get
Pakistan's aviation sector is coming back. It won't be as strong as our eastern neighbor, nowhere close, but it's going to grow over time. Stand by and watch.

Born to Pakistani parents near ORD; raised and based near ORD.

zeke

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:38 pm

A very odd city pair for a ULR flight, I cannot see it working.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

x1234
Topic Author

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:58 pm

zeke, Bangalore has become THE outsourcing destination for Western multinationals in Asia with India's low-cost English speaking population of techies and engineers. The costs in India are still significantly lower than in China where they have risen to almost Western levels already.

tpaewr

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:15 pm

CALMSP wrote:

Yeah, this was long ago a CO plan. But after the merger the 787 presented much more opportunity with UA neglected Pacific network and fleet.

The are enough now to revisit some of these other ideas.

dmstorm22

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:29 pm

zeke wrote:
A very odd city pair for a ULR flight, I cannot see it working.

Care to expand why? Significant local VFR + business ties, plius whatever ex-EWR feed they can get on the US side.

LAX772LR

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:51 pm

TEMPO wrote:
We had to wait forever for the DL BOM rumour to turn into reality.

That's not really analogous, as DL's officers stated that they intended to launch it, months before the formal launch.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

CaliguyNYC

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:11 pm

DCA350 wrote:
stl07 wrote:

At what cost? India is a price sensitive market, most aren't going to pay 50%+ more for a non stop.. the premium cabin will make or break this flight if it comes to fruition.

I think the “price sensitive market” is misused when applied to US-India travel. Sure there absolutely is the large low cost VFR crowd, but US-India is a huge market and the clientele are not homogenous. The ME3 built their US network on India traffic. US-India is still underserved even when you focus on the higher end business and VFR demand. The US origin VFR has a significant portion that absolutely will pay more for nonstop comfort and UA status perks. Upper middle class Indian-Americans behave just like other upper middle class Americans. I think EWR-BLR was selected over SFO-BLR because (1) you get the whole US as a one stop option - meaning someone would fly SFO-EWR-BLR but people really wont fly EWR-SFO-BLR and (2) the finance and business crowd between NYC and BLR will pay the high J fares. A lot of tech outsources do not let employees fly in J or full fare J

As the US-India market continues to grow people want choice. Air India proved that people will pay more for nonstops (even for crappy AI) and many people want to fly at normal hours not just timings that work for EU airports. Transiting in the EU sucks when leaving from the US. You can’t get proper sleep in 5 hours and are basically a zombie the whole flight.

zeke

Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:51 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
Care to expand why? Significant local VFR + business ties, plius whatever ex-EWR feed they can get on the US side.

I don’t see evidence of those significant ties
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

Weatherwatcher1

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:07 pm

x1234 wrote:
zeke, Bangalore has become THE outsourcing destination for Western multinationals in Asia with India's low-cost English speaking population of techies and engineers. The costs in India are still significantly lower than in China where they have risen to almost Western levels already.

I agree. I would predict significant business class demand from all the tech companies. Not so sure about how much economy economy class demand would exist, but you never know. The number of Indian expats from Bangalore working in San Francisco, New York and Seattle is significant which drives up economy class demand. There are Many people on H1 visas from Bangalore’s tech industry.

Weatherwatcher1

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:10 pm

zeke wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

Here is some evidence from Visa statistics

https://www.h1b.io/blog/gets-visas-many-countries/

From 2001 to 2015, the breakdown by country of H1B visa approvals (not petitions) is as follows:

India: 50.5%

China: 9.7%

Canada: 3.8%

Philippines: 3%

South Korea: 2.8%

Continued...

Top states for H1B visa sponsors are California, New Jersey, Texas and New York, all with large high tech hubs that utilize the large percentage of Indian IT workers that are awarded visas.

dmstorm22

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:34 pm

zeke wrote:
dmstorm22 wrote:

You have the strength of the BPO/Outsourcing industry (Big-4, Accenture, TCS, Infosys, Wipro, etc.) that all have giant operations in Bangalore, and large offices in NJ (let alone NYC).

Then add in Pharma, other tech, finance.

Add to that a large, generally wealthy, local population, and it the demand is there that has shown for 10+ years they will pay a premium to fly non-stop to India, and the demand should be there.

Will it be enough to fill a plane consistently is the question, but I would think it is fairly likely at this point.

johhn14

Sat Jul 20, 2019 11:49 pm

As a relatively frequent BLR traveler from BOS I was at first intrigued by the thought of potentially connecting in EWR rather than in DOH/DXB but the more I think about it the more I’d prefer to connect outside the country, at least on the way back to the states.

Arriving international and connecting is such a PITA and you’d have to be a gambler to have anything less than a 2 hour connection, maybe even longer. Not familiar with the immigration and terminal situation at EWR but that’s certainly the case at many other airports. Just as easy to clear transit security somewhere else and collect my bags only once at my final destination.

Is this a common sentiment? Does this force them to think more locally around the N.Y./NJ area or am I the oddball here and connecting traffic would feed this?

jayunited

Sun Jul 21, 2019 4:25 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
[
You have the strength of the BPO/Outsourcing industry (Big-4, Accenture, TCS, Infosys, Wipro, etc.) that all have giant operations in Bangalore, and large offices in NJ (let alone NYC).

Then add in Pharma, other tech, finance.

Add to that a large, generally wealthy, local population, and it the demand is there that has shown for 10+ years they will pay a premium to fly non-stop to India, and the demand should be there.

Will it be enough to fill a plane consistently is the question, but I would think it is fairly likely at this point.

I think you nailed it right here, this rumor of UA looking to launch another flight to India from EWR is pretty strong, I've heard a lot of people talking about it at Willis, it could launch late 2020 or early 2021 but only if UA can fill the plane consistently while making a profit.

Now while I do believe the EWR rumor, the rumors of more India flights from SFO and perhaps ORD I don't believe just yet. I've heard some chatter concerning UA's SFO-DEL flight that demand is higher than forecast but nothing official from UA. The only time UA came even remotely close to publicly saying anything about SFO-DEL was right before Pakistan reopened their airspace and UA had delayed the relaunch of EWR-DEL/BOM. UA stated SFO-DEL in so many words that SFO-DEL would still be launching in on-time December. In my opinion before any other India flight is added from SFO,UA's SFO-DEL would need to transition from seasonal to year around and as far as I know UA hasn't made that announcement yet.

As far as ORD-India nonstop flights on UA, I think UA is at least 3-5 years or more away from adding any nonstop flights to India from ORD.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos