HEYEY
Topic Author

Air Rum Tristar Personal Stories, Photos, etc?

Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:40 pm

Hello there,
Air Rum, based in Amman, is a very underrated airline imo. I've looked around and have found some information and photos of them but I want to know more because I find them to be very interesting. Since information is kinda scarce online, I'd like to hear about personal experiences with them, learn more interesting info about them, and see more cool photos, etc. Also, any miscellaneous info on early to late-2000's middle-eastern Tristar charter carriers (Sky Gate, Barq Aviation, Globe Jet, Kallat Elsaker Air, Air Universal, etc) would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tristars are stunning

debonair

Re: Air Rum Tristar Personal Stories, Photos, etc?

Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:01 pm

AirRum was a very creative airline... In 2005 the airline wanted to fly to Pirua with football supporters from Gambia, but the landings rights were not granted. So instead the airline applied successfully for Lima - only to declare emergency due to low fuel on arrival and to divert back to Pirua, what a coincidence... :duck: :wideeyed:

Chasensfo

Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:13 pm

Air Universal still has L-1011s(both standard and the the Tristar 500) in fairly decent shape and full livery hanging out in Tehran and I think another airport as well, so you can still shoot them if you live in a country that allows you travel to Iran.

HEYEY
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:40 am

debonair wrote:
AirRum was a very creative airline... In 2005 the airline wanted to fly to Pirua with football supporters from Gambia, but the landings rights were not granted. So instead the airline applied successfully for Lima - only to declare emergency due to low fuel on arrival and to divert back to Pirua, what a coincidence... :duck: :wideeyed:

Yeah I've read about that. Pretty funny ngl. Here's an article on it http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4270156.stm
Last edited by HEYEY on Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tristars are stunning

HEYEY
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:03 am

Chasensfo wrote:
Air Universal still has L-1011s(both standard and the the Tristar 500) in fairly decent shape and full livery hanging out in Tehran and I think another airport as well, so you can still shoot them if you live in a country that allows you travel to Iran.

Yeah if I'm recalling correctly, Air Universal has two L-1011's stored there, 9L-LDC and 9L-LDE. At Ras Al Khaimah, one of my local airports, we have 5 Tristars stored here. 3 of them belonged to Barq and still are in the ATA paint scheme (N163AT, N164AT, and N194AT), 1 that belonged to Sky Eyes Airways in an altered Kalitta livery (HS-SEC), and 1 that belonged to Las Vegas Sand's still in the Saudia livery (N389LS). I've never gone out to take photos of them because I'd fear the police interrogating me but if you're feeling lucky you could go over there to see some really cool planes. Also, behind the Emirates National Auto Museum, there is an AMW Tchad L-1011 sitting and rotting behind the museum. It's all dusty and the paint is in bad condition but you can still easily tell that it was ex-Caledonian. This plane actually had a quite interesting history. It started its life with British Airways in 1974 as G-BBAF. In 1990 it went to Caledonian still bearing the same reg. This aircraft was leased to Aer Lingus for one year in 1996 and was the only L1011 ever painted in standard Aer Lingus colors. In 2002 it moved away from Caledonian and was taken up by Ducor World Airways as 3C-QRL where it lasted until 2004 when Georgian Cargo Airlines took it up as A8-AAB. Somewhere between 2002 and 2006 this aircraft was converted to a bulk loader. In 2006 it moved over to Reem Air retaining the same registration. Lastly, it went to AMW Tchad in 2007 as TT-DWE and was stored behind the Emirates National Auto Museum since 2009-2010. I went over there to check it out and got some cool photos.
Tristars are stunning

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos