Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

sandyb123
Topic Author

VERY close shave with BA at Skiathos airport

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:36 pm

Didn’t see this posted elsewhere and the article is a bit clickbatey, but the photos are notable!

A BA Cityflyer E jet narrowly missed hitting the top of the runway at JSI last week. Sure, we’ve seen some low approaches at the “St Maarten of Europe” but this looks to me to be dangerously low. The AOA also makes it look like the PIC had a bit of a last minute brown-trousers moment.

http://www.ladbible.com/news/news-heart ... s-20190716.

Either this is an illusion of perspective, photoshopped or an error of judgement on the pilots part.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

Planes4you

Re: VERY close shave with BA at Skiathos airport

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:38 pm

If you look up photos from Skiathos on jetphotos or a.net you’ll see shots of landings just as low as this one.

hOMSaR

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:44 pm

Don’t all planes hit the top of the runway?
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

sandyb123
Topic Author

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:48 pm

Planes4you wrote:
If you look up photos from Skiathos on jetphotos or a.net you’ll see shots of landings just as low as this one.

I’ve seen many but nothing like this. I’ve also flown to this airport and the low approach is notable but this looks waaaay lower.

Sandyb123
Member of the mile high club

Prost

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:50 pm

hOMSaR wrote:

You make an excellent point.

SpaceshipDC10

Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:55 pm

sandyb123 wrote:
Either this is an illusion of perspective, photoshopped or an error of judgement on the pilots part.

Have you read this?

"The short runway means planes fly right over tourists' heads."

I'm sure I've seen a thread about this airport in the past. It's a notorious place, something like SXM although perhaps even more crazy: https://youtu.be/XqIKA25HEKg

intrance

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:04 pm

I've seen this one passed around last week. Pretty sure they didn't have 50ft radio altitude over the threshold. I'm sure the FDM department will have a look after this going slightly viral.

Slightly offtopic, pitch does not equal AoA... pretty important distinction :) . Besides that, the Embraer has a high pitch on approach compared to your run of the mill 737/A320 or even other regional jets like the CRJ.

tu204

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:11 pm

Look where he touched down - right at the start of the runway (looks like before the piano keys), right where the reciprocal runway's runway and and stopway starts, not in the touchdown zone. So definately coming in low.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

D L X

Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:54 pm

At first, I thought the opening photo was doctored. But then I was able to stop the video at the same spot as the photo. That is a LOOOOOW approach!

a320fan

Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:21 pm

It's been confirmed through the rumour mill there is an internal company investigation going on over this. No matter how short the runway is the crossing height over the threshold should be 50ft. This airport also has a small displaced threshold (which I'm pretty sure they touchdown before) so they should be higher than 50ft crossing the fence. This one looks like it's barely more than 10.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A350-900, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300, Q400

Lukas757

Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:34 pm

sandyb123 wrote:
The AOA also makes it look like the PIC had a bit of a last minute brown-trousers moment.

I think you mean pitch. You can only guess the AOA from outside.

Planes4you

Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:30 pm

hOMSaR wrote:

I was going to say that but I didn’t wanna seem like a smartass lmao

c3000flyboy

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:00 am

"confirmed through the rumour mill"

Always a solid here on Airliners.
Emergency! Keep your head down, stay down!!

eagles94

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:01 am

Definitely a “tea and biscuits” landing for the barbie jet pilots.

LAX772LR

Tue Jul 23, 2019 2:17 am

Low, but doesn't seem all that unusual for JSI.

Here, watch the vid and make up your own minds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcpUmynoQVo
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

CHRISBA35X

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:35 am

They didn't hit the fence and were slightly low on the approach but touched down on the runway, nobody was hurt, any other airport and that's a perfectly normal landing as there are runoffs etc making it a non-event. AFAIK Skiathos is a Captain only approach and landing and the Captain IC wouldn't have continued the landing if he/she thought it was unsafe.

Thing is its not like he/she was unusually low, even five feet lower there makes a massive difference as you can see, you probably wouldn't necessarily know you're slightly low on the approach until youre already in the TDZ - I don't think there is ILS at Skiathos so it is perfectly understandable. Also we don't know the WX there that day, if there was a tail or headwind component then it becomes a guessing game. The margins are so very small and the time to react so short that these things are going to happen. Its a short runway too so it isn't like you can build a few dozen more metres long into the touchdown to be sure. You have to put it down right in the assigned TDZ every time or go around, and without ILS that's not easy to do, as I say especially when it is windy.

I think this is one of those things that happen sometimes and you deal with it, doesn't have to be punitive. An afternoon in the sim shooting Skiathos approaches never goes amiss. It was a good result, nobody got hurt, it was ok.

gokmengs

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:22 am

LAX772LR wrote:
Low, but doesn't seem all that unusual for JSI.

Here, watch the vid and make up your own minds:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcpUmynoQVo

Thanks for sharing the video, after watching other landings my opinion is that the BA flight in question is definitely lower than the others, yet I don't know if that is beyond acceptable and/or requires "internal investigation"
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos