rjmf22

Re: NYC diversions JUL-22-2019

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:17 pm

shaq wrote:
asuflyer05 wrote:

UA is putting diverted EWR passengers onto buses and driving them up to EWR.

From IAD?

Why not?
We're talking about 4hours driving, aren't we?
I'd easily rather be on the road on a bus than stuck on tarmac or airport terminal with no clue about when I'd be able to leave.
I'm confident many travellers boarded the buses despite all the inconvencience.
And good to hear UA quickly provided that option.[/quote]

Bingo. These diversions were happening in the evening as well, so traffic was probably lighter. Most people would probably board the bus and take the 3 and half/4 hour road trip than wait 6/7 hours for their return leg.
United Airlines

phlsfo

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:10 pm

ojjunior wrote:
Web500sjc wrote:
-Divert SWF
LY 7 (TLV)

Is that common?
Never ever heard of SWF so far...
What might led LY crew to choose SWF among the other options?
What about receiving a diverted Intl flight? Such an event for them, isn't it? Or no?
Which aircraft is operating LY7?

SWF does commonly see TATL diversions headed into JFK/EWR. They have an extremely long runway that used to be one of the alternate landing sites for the space shuttle so they can handle any aircraft landing there. Not a big terminal at all with only a handful of gates.

catiii

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:40 pm

swacle wrote:
catiii wrote:
33lspotter wrote:
BGR:
DL9901 (VCE-JFK, 763)

Extra section?

More likely an ATC issue. Airlines will change the flight number to a 9000 number for ATC to avoid confusion if a similar or same flight number exists at another airline at a similar time.

At DL the 9000 flight numbers are charters, ferries, or delivery flights. Trying to figure out which this was, especially since DL runs VCE-JFK daily so the flight # wouldn't be an issue.

Oilman

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:47 pm

catiii wrote:
swacle wrote:
catiii wrote:

Extra section?

More likely an ATC issue. Airlines will change the flight number to a 9000 number for ATC to avoid confusion if a similar or same flight number exists at another airline at a similar time.

At DL the 9000 flight numbers are charters, ferries, or delivery flights. Trying to figure out which this was, especially since DL runs VCE-JFK daily so the flight # wouldn't be an issue.

The Saturday VCE-JFK cancelled and this was an extra section/rescue flight.

shaq

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:08 pm

rjmf22 wrote:
shaq wrote:
asuflyer05 wrote:

UA is putting diverted EWR passengers onto buses and driving them up to EWR.

From IAD?

Why not?
We're talking about 4hours driving, aren't we?
I'd easily rather be on the road on a bus than stuck on tarmac or airport terminal with no clue about when I'd be able to leave.
I'm confident many travellers boarded the buses despite all the inconvencience.
And good to hear UA quickly provided that option.

Bingo. These diversions were happening in the evening as well, so traffic was probably lighter. Most people would probably board the bus and take the 3 and half/4 hour road trip than wait 6/7 hours for their return leg.[/quote]

I agree with you. It was only a question. It looks like today will be a better day to fly.
Happy flying!
Studying hard, for flying right!

RobertS975

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:01 pm

DTWLAX wrote:
33lspotter wrote:
BGR:

LH420 (FRA-BOS, A333)

Why did this flight to BOS divert to BGR?

Boston had so many diversions, aircraft were parked on runway 15R-33L as well as 4R-22L, closing two runways.

uconn99

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:59 pm

Normally BDL see's quite a few international diversions from JFK and BOS at times but looks like BDL was dealing with some weather issues itself yesterday. Nothing quite as bad as JFK/BOS but more than likely eliminated BDL from the diversion list.

33lspotter

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:30 am

pwm2txlhopper wrote:
Those were the first international diversions I've even noted in PWM. I've seen plenty of domestic, but never International.

Yeah, I thought the same. B6 did (does?) send some A321s in from XFW and TLS to refuel on delivery flights, but those are obviously planned versus diverts.

traindoc

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:31 am

And several days earlier, the remnants of tropical storm Barry also wreaked havoc in NYC! A question: With most flights 80-90% full, how can those whose flights were late or cancelled be accommodated? I assume that some pax will have to cancel their plans, as I don’t know where all the extra seats/flights will come from.

ty9797

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:17 pm

phlsfo wrote:
ojjunior wrote:
Web500sjc wrote:
-Divert SWF
LY 7 (TLV)

Is that common?
Never ever heard of SWF so far...
What might led LY crew to choose SWF among the other options?
What about receiving a diverted Intl flight? Such an event for them, isn't it? Or no?
Which aircraft is operating LY7?

SWF does commonly see TATL diversions headed into JFK/EWR. They have an extremely long runway that used to be one of the alternate landing sites for the space shuttle so they can handle any aircraft landing there. Not a big terminal at all with only a handful of gates.

SWF has definitely taken international heavy diversions before. It's not uncommon, though also doesn't seem to be a hugely popular choice. While the runway is very long, there is very limited service and OPs there so probably not the ideal place to time out (were that to happen) though it is driving distance to NYC.

An A380 (not sure which airline) has diverted there on at least one occasion.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos