Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

berari
Topic Author

Flight detours due to geopolitical instability

Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:52 pm

I find the subject of flight path detours and restrictions due to geopolitical instability interesting. What such detours do you know of beyond what I have below:
- Flights to/from Israel, especially with El Al, not being able to fly over many Arab countries
- QR flights not able to fly over Saudi Arabian and UAE airspace
- More recently the Pakistani airspace being closed
- Until about a year ago, inability for flights to cross from Ethiopian into Eritrean airspace and vice versa which saw many Ethiopian Airlines flights circumventing Eritrean airspace
- Decades ago South African Airways flights were barred over most African airspace, creating some interesting paths

zeke

Re: Flight detours due to geopolitical instability

Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:54 pm

Flights from Taiwan to Europe used to go via BKK as they were not allowed over Chinese airspace.

Flights to/from Israel often have large detours.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:09 am

GA traffic still can’t overfly China to land at TPE. A friend just went from LOS to TPE with a stop in the Maldives to avoid China. Overflight would have made it a non-stop.

GF

Planes4you

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:08 am

Eva has to do LHR-BKK CDG-BKK AMS-BKK and VIE-BKK

DocLightning

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:10 am

berari wrote:

I was on one of those, but with the fortunate side-effect of being able to enjoy seat 1A in a LH 748 for a few minutes more while we diverted around Pakistani airspace. :cloudnine:

eamondzhang

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:13 am

Planes4you wrote:
Eva has to do LHR-BKK CDG-BKK AMS-BKK and VIE-BKK

CDG-BKK doesn't exist on BR and VIE also has direct TPE flights. More about number of pax (and number of premium pax) rather than capability.

Michael

danirich26

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:55 am

I fly for an airline based in the ME, whenever we fly to Beirut we fly along the northern border of Saudi before skirting the edge of Jordan/Israel at Aqaba/Eilat before turning north over Egyptian airspace and then vice versa on the return, we even have a company NOTAM saying be careful in the area since the aircraft has a tendency to try and overfly one of the points resulting in it turning early and entering Israeli airspace.
When the Pakistani airspace was closed, we had very very long detours around, to the point where our flights to Northern India, Nepal and Bangladesh were almost an hour longer each way and went all the way South to Bombay and then turning up North, we even had some routes that became ETOPS which weren't before, from memory the shortest ETOPS stage on one of those flights was less than 1 minute! Thankfully that situation is resolved now so no need for the long reroute or the extra hassle that comes with an ETOPS flight

PatrickZ80

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:32 am

A few years ago many airlines avoided flying over east Ukraine, specially after MH17. Tensions between Russia and Ukraine are still there.

MikeUniformEcho

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:37 am

LATAM's GRU-TLV is an example. The flight goes straight to Europe and reach Israel through the Mediterranean Sea.

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:59 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
A few years ago many airlines avoided flying over east Ukraine, specially after MH17. Tensions between Russia and Ukraine are still there.

Eastern Ukraine is still NOTAM closed to this day.

AZa346

Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:41 am

Think how much extra CO2 these avoidance routings make plane emit... how sad we cant overcome these problems, cause a good chunk of the issues mentioned do not actually pose a threat to airliners.

sassiciai

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:01 am

We are all aware of the rising political temperature between Iran and some Western countries (USA and UK mainly), the tit-for-tat boarding of tankers, the USA strengthening its naval assets in the region. I am sure that there are a few worried airline CEOs in the region wondering about the effect on transit pax, and if the situation gets much worse, the likelihood of the region's airspace being closed

If I needed to go to SE Asia from Europe, my first choice used to be Etihad; today I would be reluctant to book such a flight as when the date came to actually fly, it might be that the ME3 and the other regional carriers are seriously affected by airspace closures. My immediate alternative options from Brussels include Thai that would reroute to avoid the area, Cathay Pacific that flies over Russia to HKG completely avoiding the Middle East, Aeroflot, Finnair.

LH658

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:09 am

Syria and North Korea.

LatinAirliner

Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:31 am

Venezuela is another one to add to the list, is not well defined, because some airlines are still over-flying Venezuela. But:

- Avianca decided not to fly and not to overfly Venezuela, because of safety issues in the country. (we all know what is happening in Venezuela)
- FAA stated that airlines from the United States or airplanes with N registration are not allowed to fly to Venezuela and to overfly Venezuela.

b747400erf

Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:39 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:

Majority of carriers avoid all of Ukrainian airspace including in the west.

WildcatYXU

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:30 am

b747400erf wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

Majority of carriers avoid all of Ukrainian airspace including in the west.

That includes Russian airlines. I've noticed many flights From Russia to resort cities in Bulgaria and Turkey flying over south-eastern Slovakia that shouldn't even come close to the area. Flying from SVO to AYT over Slovakia is quite a detour.

Wednesdayite

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:59 am

After South Korea fired warning shots today at Russian (military) aircraft, will that lead to airspace closures for each other’s civil flights?

Theseus

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:14 pm

I flew many times to and from Seoul and always observed flight paths would avoid North Korea, even though I have recently read here that the North Korean airspace is not closed to other aircraft. I feel bad when I think about all the extra flight time, fuel burn and CO2 emission just on that detour.

I also a did number of flights between Europe and Dubai/Doha; flights would always avoid Iraki airspace.

blueflyer

Tue Jul 23, 2019 12:40 pm

LatinAirliner wrote:
FAA stated that airlines from the United States or airplanes with N registration are not allowed to fly to Venezuela and to overfly Venezuela.

The restrictions do not apply to US registered aircraft operated by or for a foreign carrier, although that is a scenario that would typically apply to cargo flights.

Also overflights are banned below 26,000 ft only. There are no restrictions above.

777222LR

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:08 pm

Flew QR DFW-DOH-CPT recently. The most notable was the flight to CPT. We went northeast around UAE/OMAN through the Strait of Hormuz then back west and south toward Africa. Not sure how much time this added, but direct would have been overlying Saudi Arabia and Yemen. I got to enjoy QR's business product a little longer. Not mad about it.

There's always been avoidance of certain areas of Syria when I've flown to the Middle East from the US. I think it varies from any point in time where that is, however. And it depends on the airline. Turkish, for example, was overflying Syria, while Lufthansa was not a few years ago. (Same trip)

AirBoat

Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:16 pm

any flight from jhb to Frankfurt flies around Libya on the west side

Thunderboltdrgn

Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:49 pm

I think Air India still have a fuel stop at ARN for one of their US bound flights from India due to avoiding Pakistanian airspace.

FCOTSTW

Tue Jul 23, 2019 5:16 pm

One of the most famous ones was Northwest Airlines (NW), which in 1992 reduced the DTW NRT flight from 13:30 hours to 12 hours or so when the Russian government granted the possibility to overflow Siberia.

b747400erf

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:14 pm

Thunderboltdrgn wrote:
I think Air India still have a fuel stop at ARN for one of their US bound flights from India due to avoiding Pakistanian airspace.

Pakistan airspace opened back up last week

744lover

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:30 pm

Another interesting route is BEY to AMM. In a straight line, 128nm. If the flight was direct it would take what? 20 minutes?

But instead, flights leave into the sea, then towards the south of Israel and later north into Jordan. Average flight time? 1:23 minutes.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/rj404

BR,
744lover

b747400erf

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:38 pm

744lover wrote:
Another interesting route is BEY to AMM. In a straight line, 128nm. If the flight was direct it would take what? 20 minutes?

But instead, flights leave into the sea, then towards the south of Israel and later north into Jordan. Average flight time? 1:23 minutes.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/flights/rj404

BR,
744lover

Jordan is allied with the west and so will avoid Syrian airspace.

eastafspot

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:07 pm

berari wrote:
I find the subject of flight path detours and restrictions due to geopolitical instability interesting. What such detours do you know of beyond what I have below:
- Flights to/from Israel, especially with El Al, not being able to fly over many Arab countries
- QR flights not able to fly over Saudi Arabian and UAE airspace
- Until about a year ago, inability for flights to cross from Ethiopian into Eritrean airspace and vice versa which saw many Ethiopian Airlines flights circumventing Eritrean airspace
- Decades ago South African Airways flights were barred over most African airspace, creating some interesting paths

Probably useless for some of you, but interesting for others:

https://safeairspace.net

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos