SonaSounds
Topic Author

American Airlines flight attendant bitten by emotional support dog

Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:49 pm

An American Airlines flight attendant was bitten by an emotional support dog on a flight from Dallas to North Carolina Monday, prompting union calls to further tighten rules on in-flight animals.

The incident occurred on American flight 3506 from Dallas-Fort Worth to Greensboro, North Carolina, an American Eagleflight operated by Envoy Air, a subsidiary of American. The plane was an Embraer 175, a regional jet.

The unnamed male flight attendant required five stitches on his left hand when he returned to Dallas, American spokesman Ross Feinstein said. The type of dog was not disclosed.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/a ... 808632001/

With the rules for emotional support animal being stretched more and more do you think this incident will finally start reining-in this issue?

Boof02671

Re: American Airlines flight attendant bitten by emotional support dog

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:02 pm

Envoy is not a mainline Flight Attendant

airtran737

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:05 pm

These animals belong in crates in the belly. A trained service animal wouldn’t do this. I am sure it was some sort of rat dog that a cheap person slapped a vest on which they purchased from Etsy and declared it to be a service animal.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Pudelhund

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:08 pm

airtran737 wrote:
These animals belong in crates in the belly. A trained service animal wouldn’t do this. I am sure it was some sort of rat dog that a cheap person slapped a vest on which they purchased from Etsy and declared it to be a service animal.

No, you are mistaking the difference between a service animal and "emotional support" animal. They are different things. In my opinion, the charade with these "emotional support" animals that have little or no training needs to end. They give a bad rap to legitimate service animals.

Prost

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:11 pm

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=service+anim ... b_ss_i_1_9

Right there is a service animal vest anybody can buy on Amazon.
https://www.officialservicedogregistry. ... e-letters/
Emotional Support letters available as well.

johns624

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:26 pm

Boof02671 wrote:
Who cares if it's mainline? That doesn't make the bite hurt less or result in less stitches. What was painted in big letters on the side of the plane?

D L X

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:55 pm

Pudelhund wrote:
airtran737 wrote:

No, you are mistaking the difference between a service animal and "emotional support" animal. They are different things. In my opinion, the charade with these "emotional support" animals that have little or no training needs to end. They give a bad rap to legitimate service animals.

I don’t think he’s mistaking anything. Emotional support animals are not service animals, and that’s the point he’s making. Why do we allow them?

Does this passenger bring her emotional support animal to work? Or is it just her pet? The abuse is so rampant that it’s more likely just a pet.

Boof02671

Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:57 pm

johns624 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:
Who cares if it's mainline? That doesn't make the bite hurt less or result in less stitches. What was painted in big letters on the side of the plane?

It’s misleading and wrong

stl07

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:09 am

Boof02671 wrote:

As frequently stated on this site, regional FAs are not humans and therefore deserve no sympathy and none of the rights given to mainline FAs. The bite must hurt less since regional FAs are less than human
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

9w748capt

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:13 am

Boof02671 wrote:

Thanks. Solid contribution. Well done.

xxcr

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:15 am

Here we go again with these Emotional pets that don't belong in the cabin...................

SMFH!!!!

AtomicGarden

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:20 am

stl07 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

As frequently stated on this site, regional FAs are not humans and therefore deserve no sympathy and none of the rights given to mainline FAs. The bite must hurt less since regional FAs are less than human

Also, it was on an AA partner so they probably had it coming!

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. I may be too harsh but even those who actually require an emotional support animal (PET, which have likely no training at all) shouldn't fly at all unless authorized by a doctor.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

jbs2886

Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:24 am

xxcr wrote:
Here we go again with these Emotional pets that don't belong in the cabin...................

SMFH!!!!

So you don't see the biting as a problem? I don't know the solution because bona fide emotional support animals should be permitted in the cabin, but its hard to weed out the people abusing the system just to have their pet with them. An animal attacking/biting someone is a safety issue.

Karlsands

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:03 am

Boof02671 wrote:

Why does this matter ? They were flying under the brand for the flight. And envoy actually is Owned by American fully if I recall

alasizon

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:09 am

The emotional support animal restrictions have already been tightened quite a bit (including the requirement to produce a doctors note as opposed to credible verbal assurance). That means that this passenger already had documentation from a medical professional stating that he/she needed this animal to get through their daily life and wherever they were traveling to/from.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

Boof02671

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:29 am

Karlsands wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Why does this matter ? They were flying under the brand for the flight. And envoy actually is Owned by American fully if I recall

It is not mainline AA, they don’t work for AA, Envoy has its own employees, own operating certificate, and work under a different contract.

xxcr

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:30 am

jbs2886 wrote:
xxcr wrote:

SMFH!!!!

So you don't see the biting as a problem? I don't know the solution because bona fide emotional support animals should be permitted in the cabin, but its hard to weed out the people abusing the system just to have their pet with them. An animal attacking/biting someone is a safety issue.

That's what i mean. Emotional pets do NOT belong in the cabin unless they are in the pet bag. All pets that do DO NOT have the red coat must stay inside their pet carriers...NO EXCEPTIONS.

I've been on a few flights that have been delayed because someone refused to put their F*****G chihuahua back into their pet carrier bag. I've never seen any issues with guide dogs since they are trained extremely well.

Cactus732

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:40 am

Boof02671 wrote:
Karlsands wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

It is not mainline AA, they don’t work for AA, Envoy has its own employees, own operating certificate, and work under a different contract.

Envoy, PSA and Piedmont are all owned by American, yes they operate under separate certificates and contracts but AA own the planes, all employees have a AA IDs, and more importantly in this case all on-board service policies come from AA.......but you're really missing the point of emphasis for this thread. It really doesn't matter if the flight was operated by mainline, a wholly owned subsidiary, or a contract regional, the point is that untrained animals, masquerading as emotional support animals, are continuing to cause problems in passenger cabins.

umichman

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:49 am

alasizon wrote:
The emotional support animal restrictions have already been tightened quite a bit (including the requirement to produce a doctors note as opposed to credible verbal assurance). That means that this passenger already had documentation from a medical professional stating that he/she needed this animal to get through their daily life and wherever they were traveling to/from.

No they don't need a "doctors note", they just need a " licensed medical or mental health professional" to sign off on the form for the airline. Thanks to the Internet, this is a pretty minor hurdle -- https://waggy.pet/

AAtakeMeAway

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:52 am

Boof02671 wrote:

*sigh* we know Boof... that doesn’t make this gentleman’s hand any less important

afterburner

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:53 am

Boof02671 wrote:
Karlsands wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Thank you for enlighten us about the difference. However, in this case. it doesn't really matter. This topic is about A PERSON BITTEN INSIDE AN AIRCRAFT CABIN by an animal which many people think shouldn't be there.

Ziyulu

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:54 am

So if Envoy gets in an accident, the incident is not recorded on AA's record.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:54 am

I honestly don't understand emotional support animals. Is it really necessary? And why is this a thing only in America?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

triple3driver

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:00 am

And this my friends, is another failure of the US emotional support animal system, when will we learn? Does anyone know when this whole fad even became a thing?
If you can walk away from it intact, it was a good landing!

alasizon

umichman wrote:
alasizon wrote:

No they don't need a "doctors note", they just need a " licensed medical or mental health professional" to sign off on the form for the airline. Thanks to the Internet, this is a pretty minor hurdle -- https://waggy.pet/

Didn't realize the cost had dropped that low and become that readily available. I would imagine though that at some level there will be recourse eventually available against Waggy (and similar providers) as they openly admit on their website that it is designed to get around the system and for pets. It would suck for the <1% of ESAs that are actually legit but banning ESAs is probably the best course of action for the airlines.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

IADCA

Boof02671 wrote:
Karlsands wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Congratulations. You've made a pedantic point successfully disputing an irrelevant detail.

Prinair

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:05 am

ESAN service is simply a scam. Airlines should eliminate this service completely. They should only be allowed to fly following standard pet policies. If a person is in such a fragile state of mind that they cannot handle being reasonably separated from their precious fur ball then they should not fly at all.
PRINAIR - Puerto Rico International Airlines

9w748capt

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:11 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
stl07 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Also, it was on an AA partner so they probably had it coming!

I'm surprised this doesn't happen more often. I may be too harsh but even those who actually require an emotional support animal (PET, which have likely no training at all) shouldn't fly at all unless authorized by a doctor.

Sadly, "authorized by a doctor" doesn't mean squat. Our former neighbor once bragged to us about how she got her doctor to write her a note so she could take her massive golden retriever on her flight with her. My wife and eye just rolled our eyes. Especially because she herself is a medical student, so she damn well knows she has no legitimate medical reason to take her 100 pound dog on the plane.

ssteve

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:37 am

I think Boof's pedantic point about Envoy is to make it clear that if an *Envoy* flight attendant loses a hand, AA will only replace 3 of 5 fingers because the CONTRACT is DIFFERENT. So, totally on topic and contributing a lot to the discussion.

OB1504

Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:54 am

Boof02671 wrote:
Karlsands wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

Does everything you post have to be about contracts? What difference does it make?

Emotional support animals are out of control and clearly the current restrictions aren’t tight enough.

seat1a

Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:50 am

Boof02671 wrote:
johns624 wrote:
Boof02671 wrote:

It’s misleading and wrong

Good lord, pulling butthairs here. Mainline or whatever. Seeing eye dogs are the only animals that should be allowed. The emotional support animals are a symptom of weak sensibilities and sensitivities and a complete joke.

Jetty

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:03 am

I fully respect and understand the need of service dogs, but ‘emotional support’ animals are for snowflakes who need to go in therapy instead of burdening other people with their animals. Crazy that the USA ever gave them any status.

XRadar98

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:21 am

I am waiting for a good comedic writer here. This is low hanging fruit.

robsaw

Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:30 am

Jetty wrote:
I fully respect and understand the need of service dogs, but ‘emotional support’ animals are for snowflakes who need to go in therapy instead of burdening other people with their animals. Crazy that the USA ever gave them any status.

And now we've descended back to dissing mental and emotional illness as not real health issues but matters of personal character. I don't agree with the abuse of policies to get pets and uncertified service animals unrestrained in the passenger cabin but this kind of lack of empathy demonstrates why some people are in therapy.

alfa164

Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:05 am

alasizon wrote:
Didn't realize the cost had dropped that low and become that readily available. I would imagine though that at some level there will be recourse eventually available against Waggy (and similar providers) as they openly admit on their website that it is designed to get around the system and for pets. .

:checkmark: This. If someone were aggressive enough, charging these fraudsters with (1) with practicing medicine without a license; or (2) if some licensed medical provide is lending his or her name to these activities, charging any medical practitioner associated with them with malpractice, for making diagnoses without personal examination and knowledge of the patient.... this scam would come to a screeching halt.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

LG777

Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:20 am

Then how the rest of the world deal with this? I don't remember seeing an emotional animal in European flights.
On top of that if the dog would have be in most of the European countries an beaten to blood he would be euthanasied as he tasted human blood.

texdravid

Wed Jul 24, 2019 5:35 am

Emotional support animals are just a ruse so cheap people can take their pets with them without paying the pet fee.

Doctor notes are fraudulent and paid for and are totally worthless.

Another example of American idiocy, emotional bankruptcy and general immaturity. Pay the fee ya cheapskates.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

LAXBUR

Wed Jul 24, 2019 6:13 am

I love dogs but I’m tired of this. I was in the Alaska Lounge at LAX and a clearly distraught and nervous dog from the crowded space was said to be a “support dog”. The dog lunged at an attendant. An Alaska rep came over to ask if their dog was ok and if this was an appropriate place for the dog and the man said, “it was the black one that complained, huh?”

Most of these people are mental but above all they’re entitled. Their dog isn’t bringing them comfort. It is a call for attention. That’s why this is a uniquely American thing. We are country where everyone wants to be noticed. If anything they’re probably stressing out their animal that is not trained to be around hundreds of people. In San Diego I saw someone with an “emotional support” German Shepherd that was barking, screaming and whining while they waited for their bags. These people animal abusers.

asdf

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:11 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
I honestly don't understand emotional support animals. Is it really necessary? And why is this a thing only in America?

In the western world it is a tradition for many people to keep a pet.
A dog is the animal with which man had the closest relationship until the stone age.

In families with children, the dog is often a true family member.
In partnerships where the children are already leading their own lives out of the house, the dog is the child substitute, and for many people living alone in the last quarter of life, the dog or pet is the partner replacement for the already deceased partner.

So it's a very close relationship that people in other parts of the world often do not understand, and religion has an influence here as well.

I fully understand that somebody does not want his pet to be transported in the cargo hold, because in this way countless animals have died. It is enough if after taking off the heating in the cargo hold is not turned on, or someone somewhere in the logistics chain has not reported that animals are in the hold of the flight and therefore the hold must be heated. From other mistakes of the involved personnel in the freight chain - not only intellectual high-flyers and animal protection experts work on the ramps - not to talk.

To harm people is forbidden. It is understandable that it is unreasonable for a family to transport their toddler in the hold. The same applies to people who have a close relationship with a pet. Often they really have a kind of mental dependency on the animal.

A mental dependency on an animal is seen as a human right in the West as well as a dependency on an animal because of, for example, a visual impairment.

In the US, a creative legal system makes it possible to become incredibly rich anytime you complain to a very wealthy company. Airlines are incredibly rich. Therefore, they avoid the risk of being caught by a passenger on USD $$. $$$. $$$,- to be sued for not being allowed to take his pet with them. Human rights issues also play a role here, mental cruelty, etc.

The airlines are in a very uncomfortable situation here. If they ban the support animals' support, they will be sued and they will lose. If they do not forbid them, they will sooner or later be sued as well, and they will lose as well.

The whole is therefore above all a US topic because in other continents such as Europe, for example, the taking of a dog in an aircraft cabin alone would be impossible for religious reasons. Dogs are considered unclean in religion with the highest increase and prevalence.

Quote from a well-known German actor:
You can also live without a dog, but it's not worth it.
(Heinz Rühmann, actor 1902-1994)

In addition:
I would be happy to pay a full paid seat on air travel for our dog to transport it in a dog travel box to save him the risk of a journey in the cargo hold. I would not expose any other family member to this risk negligently.
Unfortunately this is not possible due to the size (30kg / 70lbs).
Therefore, we have waived for now almost ten years on travel destinations which can only be sensibly reached by plane.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:20 am

asdf wrote:
In the western world it is a tradition for many people to keep a pet.
A dog is the animal with which man had the closest relationship until the stone age.

A pet is a pet. If an emotional support animal is a pet, then it should be treated as such.
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

asdf

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:27 am

LG777 wrote:
On top of that if the dog would have be in most of the European countries an beaten to blood he would be euthanasied as he tasted human blood.

Sorry, but that is complete nonsense.

There is nothing like this.

However, there has been a law in Denmark since 2014 that allows dog catchers to have dogs confiscated and killed if they are suspected to have bitten.

source (german):
https://www.focus.de/wissen/natur/hunde ... 70391.html

This is totally unacceptable and for any serious animal lover Denmark is no longer a destination since then.

The question of whether the dog "tasted human blood" is completely irrelevant in a "dog". If it is a wolf, then it can be different. They share the same genre but are completely different in their relation to humans.

A healthy, socialized dog always looks for the proximity of people if he has the choice.

A wolf will always flee from a human if he has the choice.

Looks similar, smells similar, sounds similar but is completely different.

thekorean

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:43 am

If these so called ESA hurt someone, at the very least it should be taken away from the owner, permanently.

If severe, put down.

Amiga500

Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:50 am

Boof02671 wrote:

You must be some craic at parties.

Who gives a damn - its irrelevant detail to the gist of the thread.

Thibault973

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:27 am

I have only once come accross someone with an emotional support dog, and she was American. Never heard of such a thing before. A quick search tells me that AF do in fact accept emotional support dogs in the cabine if a psychiatrist note is provided. TO on the other hand refuses them on board. Weird that they don't have the same policy.

Andy33

Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:49 am

LG777 wrote:
Then how the rest of the world deal with this? I don't remember seeing an emotional animal in European flights.

The normal situation in Europe is that national governments accredit one or two organisations in each country to certify support animals. There's no ban on emotional support animals, but the animal has to undergo extensive training before it can be certified to fly as a support animal. This isn't a problem for assistance dogs for the blind or deaf, or for dogs that sense imminent medical incidents (epileptic fits or potential diabetic comas being the commonest), as they'd be useless without the training. In practice there's no internationally agreed training regime for emotional support animals so none get certified and so can't fly except as a regular pet.

The "euthanase the dog because it has tasted blood" is just nonsense. No European country has such a law. There are policies for euthanasing dogs that have a record of aggression, not just a single incident, and if a dog actually kills someone (incredibly rare) then they are likely to be euthanased. Occasionally if police discover a dog in full attack and it will not stop, they may shoot it to save the person being attacked.

Edited to add - while Air France may allow a psychiatrist to certify a person's need for an ESA, this would only work on French domestic flights or flights between mainland France and overseas territories because on international flights the certification may not be accepted by the other country, which requires the animal itself to be certified.

ltbewr

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:45 am

Having been bitten by a pet dog when I was about 12 years old in the late 1960's, it can be a very traumatic experience. Per the laws then in New Jersey, as the dog had bitten several times before, it had to be killed by state law. We don't know the exact circumstances why this dog bit the FA, perhaps they were trying to enforce rules in flight, but no matter what, the owner is responsible for how it behaves and can be sued. If someone brought their ESA with them to a workplace, a store and the animal but it bit a co-worker or a shopper, for sure they could be sued. In my case, there was no lawsuit filed, times were different then and my father knew the guy so you didn't sue then as much.

There is an ad I believe for E-Trade that shows a guy at an airline gate area dealing with all kinds of stereotypes of worst fellow pax including a woman pleading to bring their ESA Boa Constrictor snake on. If it can be satirized, one has to wonder if the idea of ESA's have gone too far and new rules or enforcement of current ones need to be done.

bravotango75

Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:10 am

Well, at least it was not an ‘emotional support Cobra’.

cporcelli78

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:04 pm

Prinair wrote:
ESAN service is simply a scam. Airlines should eliminate this service completely. They should only be allowed to fly following standard pet policies. If a person is in such a fragile state of mind that they cannot handle being reasonably separated from their precious fur ball then they should not fly at all.

AMEN TO THAT!!!!!!!!!!!

UpNAWAy

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:32 pm

The solution seems obvious, if you cannot fly without an emotional support animal than you are not emotionally stable enough to fly.
Period end of story!!!!!!! I know it seems uncaring but its just common sense.

9w748capt

Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:43 pm

UpNAWAy wrote:
The solution seems obvious, if you cannot fly without an emotional support animal than you are not emotionally stable enough to fly.
Period end of story!!!!!!! I know it seems uncaring but its just common sense.

It's not uncaring; don't feel bad! Dogs are animals and are unpredictable. I see kids with dog bites every week, and it's always a good dog until it isn't. This FA should pursue legal action IMO.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos