flyiguy
Topic Author

WN to close EWR

Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:59 am

News is reporting that EWR will be closing as part of the WN network due to delays with the MAX.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/25/southwe ... nding.html

FLY
The opinions I post are of mine and mine alone, not of the airline I work for.

tistpaa727

Re: WN to close EWR

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:02 am

Close or suspended? To close due to Max delays would imply it will be a really long time before WN expects the plane to be back in service. Suspended, if true, seems more likely.
Don't sweat the little things.

N757ST

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:09 am

For an airline that already has poor service to NYC, I find this incredible.

jasoncrh

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:10 am

They’re leaving it. Period. Read the article.

quote="tistpaa727"]Close or suspended? To close due to Max delays would imply it will be a really long time before WN expects the plane to be back in service. Suspended, if true, seems more likely.[/quote]

OzarkD9S

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:16 am

I wonder who is going to make a play for their gates? F9, NK? The POS ex-EWR must be lousy if THIS is the first station getting closed due to MAX. Or maybe just a handy excuse?
Last edited by OzarkD9S on Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
TWA Hotel, Here I come. October, 2019 :airplane:

Polot

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:19 am

The Max is being used as a scapegoat to lessen the blow and give hope that they will come back. If that plane was truly needed to keep the station open then EWR was barely hanging on to begin with. Southwest, like any airline, would shuffle to keep profitable routes/stations operating as robustly as possible.
Last edited by Polot on Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

727LOVER

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:20 am

Where does WN fly to from EWR?
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Fargo

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:20 am

Was this going to happen anyway and the MAX provided an excuse to do it?

EK77WNH

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:30 am

As the DL/B6 battle grows at Boston, I wonder if they’d pull the plug there, too.
Next Trip:
JAL 7-8 BOS-NRT-BOS, 787-9
September

STT757

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:32 am

OzarkD9S wrote:
I wonder who is going to make a play for their gates? F9, NK? The POS ex-EWR must be lousy if THIS is the first station getting closed due to MAX. Or maybe just a handy excuse?

It really doesn’t matter because In a year those gates will be gone. What I think this allows is UA the ability to take on additional gates at the new Terminal One.

First the news comes out that UA are acquiring 19 73Gs from WN, now this. What’s going on at WN?

It would not surprise me to hear some other transactions between these two carriers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

enilria

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:38 am

Polot wrote:
The Max is being used as a scapegoat to lessen the blow and give hope that they will come back. If that plane was truly needed to keep the station open then EWR was barely hanging on to begin with. Southwest, like any airline, would shuffle to keep profitable routes/stations operating as robustly as possible.

Exactly. Ridiculous spin to blame the MAX. Also, are they not selling their gates there? If they are just abandoning them in return for nothing they are not that savvy. EWR is borderline slot restricted. Their position there has value.

Apart from all of that, I can’t believe they would just give up there. True, they have tried numerous routes, but to 50% give up on NYC is shocking.

enilria

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:41 am

STT757 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

It really doesn’t matter because In a year those gates will be gone. What I think this allows is UA the ability to take on additional gates at the new Terminal One.

First the news comes out that UA are acquiring 19 73Gs from WN, now this. What’s going on at WN?

It would not surprise me to hear some other transactions between these two carriers.

It would make more sense if this were a trade, but for what? LAX? I don’t really see what else UA might offer.

alpine1989

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:41 am

Read the 2nd quarter results announcement.

Record Second Quarter Revenues And Earnings Per Share

Drop: EWR
Add: CZM, LIH, ITO

http://www.southwestairlinesinvestorrel ... -114616974

STT757

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:42 am

The LGA and DCA slots UA is using for flights to CLE which is no longer a hub and is relegated to 50 seat ERJ-145s.

STT757

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:50 am

enilria wrote:
Polot wrote:

Exactly. Ridiculous spin to blame the MAX. Also, are they not selling their gates there? If they are just abandoning them in return for nothing they are not that savvy. EWR is borderline slot restricted. Their position there has value.

Apart from all of that, I can’t believe they would just give up there. True, they have tried numerous routes, but to 50% give up on NYC is shocking.

They’re also giving up the ability to fly outer perimeter flights from NY like PHX, LAS, OAK etc..

jplatts

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:51 am

EK77WNH wrote:
As the DL/B6 battle grows at Boston, I wonder if they’d pull the plug there, too.

WN has nonstop service out of BOS to a few Midwestern markets that aren't currently served by B6 such as CMH, MCI, MKE, and STL. WN also is currently the only airline serving STL nonstop from BOS.

In a few of the markets that have nonstop service to BOS on both WN and B6 such as AUS, CHI, DAL/DFW, HOU/IAH, and BNA, there are many travelers who are loyal to WN in the AUS, CHI, DAL/DFW, HOU/IAH, and BNA markets who prefer to fly on WN over B6.

There are some WN destinations in major U.S. metropolitan areas such as CLT, CVG, DTW, LGB, ONT, MSP, PHL, and PIT that currently have less demand for WN service than BOS does. There is also significantly more demand for WN service out of BOS than out of any other airport in the New England region.

WN will certainly not pull out of BOS anytime soon, and there is certainly enough demand for WN to continue serving BOS.

STT757

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:53 am

Setting up for a B6 acquisition?

VS4ever

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:55 am

EK77WNH wrote:

With this happening, is it beyond the realms of possibility, no, is it likely, no, but never say never. Massport have most of the airlines on annual gate lease contracts, so they could pull out of that pretty quickly if needed. Massport are completing the build out of 2 new gates at BOS to accommodate the move to B and in their reports have been constantly showing WN increasing, not decreasing. The last official report showed WN at around 3m pax a year and a 7.6% market share and if they were to exit, that would be a lot of capacity for the others to sweep up, but given the continued growth at BOS, maybe it wouldn't be an issue. The question would be who would take those gates. DL can't, B6 could try their "E" trick and once the connector is built take a couple of the close to C gates and NK,AS could move around. Or they could move F9 and SY back over from E, and maybe a combo of those could grow. I don't see AA/UA taking up the slack needing the extra gates.

It's all conjecture of course and maybe EWR is a lone issue, or it could be the start of something more profound.. time will tell.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

MIflyer12

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:59 am

EK77WNH wrote:

Still hoping they'll return to MHT in a big way? Forget it. BOS gets up to 37 departures to 15 cities; MHT is 1/3 of that - and they have 5 gates at MHT!

Midwestindy

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:04 pm

So per WN's EWR Nov schedule for 2019 as of yesterday:
5x EWR-MDW
3x EWR-BNA
2x EWR-DEN
2x EWR-BWI
2x EWR-STL
2x EWR-AUS
1x EWR-OAK
1x EWR-SAN
1x EWR-PHX

Cuts off their ability to serve NYC from OAK, SAN, PHX
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

bob75013

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:09 pm

Polot wrote:

Correct. As evidenced by:

""The financial results at Newark have been below expectations, despite the efforts of our excellent Team at Newark," the statement from CEO and Chairman of the Board Gary Kelly said."

cledaybuck

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:09 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
Non stop.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

jplatts

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:11 pm

cledaybuck wrote:
Midwestindy wrote:
Non stop.

WN actually does offer 1-stop connecting service to OAK, SAN, and PHX from LGA, and there is a significant amount of passengers connecting to LGA from beyond-perimeter domestic destinations on WN.

STT757

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:14 pm

Surprised they’re not dropping ISP.

Brickell305

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:14 pm

enilria wrote:
Polot wrote:

Except for the fact that WN never actually blamed the station closing on the MAX. That was the OP's (mis)interpretation of the article. From WN's announcement of quarterly financial results:

"We will cease operations at Newark Liberty International Airport and consolidate our New York City presence at New York LaGuardia Airport, effective November 3, 2019. The financial results at Newark have been below expectations, despite the efforts of our excellent Team at Newark. I am grateful to our wonderful Newark Employees, who are a top priority, and will be given an opportunity to relocate to another station in our system, including LaGuardia Airport, where we are experiencing strong Customer demand. As part of this move, we will offer options and flexibility for Customers to recover planned travel from other area airports."

http://www.southwestairlinesinvestorrel ... -114616974

What the linked article says:

"Shares of Southwest Airlines tumbled Thursday after the low-cost carrier said it doesn’t plan to fly the grounded Boeing 737 Max until next year, warned about higher-than-expected costs and announced it’s pulling out of Newark Liberty International Airport."

"Southwest said its Newark operations haven’t been profitable enough and that it is observing strong demand out of LaGuardia."

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/07/25/southwe ... nding.html

At no point did it blame the closing of EWR on the MAX.

Chasensfo

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:18 pm

The MAX issues would be grounds for suspension, but not total termination of the EWR station. I call BS.

Brickell305

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:22 pm

Chasensfo wrote:
The MAX issues would be grounds for suspension, but not total termination of the EWR station. I call BS.

It's not MAX related. WN admitted that EWR was not performing well.

STT757

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:25 pm

There’s a quid pro quo we’re not seeing here, first the news about the 19 WN 73Gs going to UA comes out and a week later this news.

WeatherPilot

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:39 pm

STT757 wrote:
There’s a quid pro quo we’re not seeing here, first the news about the 19 WN 73Gs going to UA comes out and a week later this news.

The transfer of the 19 WN 73Gs is probably to increase the efficiency of the fleet. The deal was probably already in the works or finalized before all the MAX issues. I doubt WN would be releasing these planes if they truly desperately needed them.

alggag

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:39 pm

I would have expected to see IAD or ISP close first.

flybry

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:44 pm

After the merger of Continental and United -- this means United now has a monopoly on a lot routes out of EWR that Southwest will be abandoning including EWR-DEN. I wonder if United will jack up the fares on these routes? So much for the merger being beneficial to flyers and ticket prices :/

sxf24

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:45 pm

STT757 wrote:

Where has it been proven that the 19 73Gs UA is taking are coming from WN?

ncflyer

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:45 pm

NYC airports kills WN's operating performance. I'm surprised that wasn't mentioned as a consideration. Unlike Delta for instance, it's not scheduling it's planes to just fly back and forth from NY quite as much.

Weatherwatcher1

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:49 pm

UA has significant frequency and capacity for all the destinations that WN serves from EWR. I think this comes down to flying once or twice a day against a hub carrier isn’t profitable for WN. The only market with decent capacity that would generate any business demand from EWR on Southwest is Chicago Midway. Keeping the city open to funnel traffic through some of the bigger southwest stations doesn’t sound like it is profitable. Southwest isn’t a network carrier who keeps cities open for prestige and frequent flyer loyalty.

EWR is also a disaster for flow control. Any airplane that touches the airport after 3pm might as well be assumed to be 2 hours or more late for the rest of the day. That certainly hurts profitability. Not only is EWR marginally profitable, it is forcing delays and cancellations into the network
Last edited by Weatherwatcher1 on Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jplatts

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:51 pm

alggag wrote:

Even though BWI is close enough to Downtown DC and the National Mall to be a viable option for those traveling to DC, three things keeping WN at IAD are (a) WN serving DEN (which is outside of the DCA perimeter) nonstop from IAD, (b) slot and perimeter restrictions at DCA, and (c) IAD being almost 60 miles west of BWI.

There are also a few WN destinations in the Western U.S. that have 1-stop connecting service out of IAD and BWI but not out of DCA on WN.

Scarebus34

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:52 pm

enilria wrote:
STT757 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

It would make more sense if this were a trade, but for what? LAX? I don’t really see what else UA might offer.

UA won’t be offering up anything at LAX...

Weatherwatcher1

Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:54 pm

alggag wrote:

Why ISP? Long Island has a fairly large population and Southwest has very little competition. It fits perfectly with plenty of demand to Florida.

AWACSooner

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:01 pm

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
EWR is also a disaster for flow control. Any airplane that touches the airport after 3pm might as well be assumed to be 2 hours or more late for the rest of the day. That certainly hurts profitability. Not only is EWR marginally profitable, it is forcing delays and cancellations into the network

My personal opinion is THIS is the real reason they're pulling chocks. The MAX delays are the easy scapegoat. Hope all the EWR flyers can stomach the drastic fare increases from UA.

SXDFC

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:10 pm

STT757 wrote:
Surprised they’re not dropping ISP.

ISP continues to be profitable and has good load factors.. Also their lease expires in 2024 in the terminal they built..

avi8

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:12 pm

Glad to see Southwest focusing on profits and not being ashamed of closing a station. Business is business and their results reflect that. They will still serve the NYC metro area at La Guardia, where they have 30+ flights a day. Maybe there’s something in the works to gain a few extra slots?
avi8

Medschool student

alpine1989

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:18 pm

Southwest has bet big on Hawaii. They've been unable to announce the second wave of Hawaii flights because of the aircraft shortage caused by the MAX grounding. Closing EWR to open SMF/SAN to Hawaii and opening new stations LIH and ITO makes sense given the continued uncertainty surrounding MAX return to service.

Let us not forget Southwest has previously retreated from some large markets/mega hubs in the including DEN, IAH and SFO. They don't serve DFW, MIA or ORD. I'd hardly say the sky is falling because EWR is being dropped in favor of a higher priority market.

dmg626

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:19 pm

[threeid][/threeid][quote="Weatherwatcher1"

EWR is also a disaster for flow control. Any airplane that touches the airport after 3pm might as well be assumed to be 2 hours or more late for the rest of the day. That certainly hurts profitability. Not only is EWR marginally profitable, it is forcing delays and cancellations into the network[/quote]

Usually afternoon and evening flights are scheduled as turns for flight crews so as not to screw up someone’s whole trip

Polot

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:21 pm

dmg626 wrote:
[threeid][/threeid][quote="Weatherwatcher1"

Usually afternoon and evening flights are scheduled as turns for flight crews so as not to screw up someone’s whole trip

That’s great for the flight crews, but the airframe itself still needs to be in the proper place at the proper time to maintain schedules.

Rdh3e

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:22 pm

sxf24 wrote:
STT757 wrote:

The news was that WN returned the aircraft to GECAS because they either didn't want or couldn't get a deal. Then UA signed them up from GECAS either buying them off them or leasing from them. Anyone with sense knows these are not related events due to the fact that WN didn't even own the aircraft.

enilria

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:23 pm

STT757 wrote:
enilria wrote:
Polot wrote:

They’re also giving up the ability to fly outer perimeter flights from NY like PHX, LAS, OAK etc..

Excellent point.
STT757 wrote:
The LGA and DCA slots UA is using for flights to CLE which is no longer a hub and is relegated to 50 seat ERJ-145s.

If they did that deal then WN goes from crazy to brilliant, but the other problem is that I don't see DOJ letting UA take more gates at EWR. That deal would have to be publicly reviewed at a minimum.
STT757 wrote:

Always, but I think B6 is persona non grata. They have nothing to give UA.
alggag wrote:

Agreed
STT757 wrote:

That was my first thought, but WN's position at EWR is so small...and B6's as well that I'm not sure that makes any sense. In fact, WN's position in NYC is so small I don't think that is a factor. If DOJ blocks a WN-B6 deal it would be because of network competition reduction, not NYC where it will make little difference.
sxf24 wrote:
STT757 wrote:

I didn't see that. link? What is the timeframe of that sale? Are those planes WN was parking anyway?
Brickell305 wrote:
Except for the fact that WN never actually blamed the station closing on the MAX. That was the OP's (mis)interpretation of the article. From WN's announcement of quarterly financial results:

Makes more sense
AWACSooner wrote:
Weatherwatcher1 wrote:

My personal opinion is THIS is the real reason they're pulling chocks. The MAX delays are the easy scapegoat. Hope all the EWR flyers can stomach the drastic fare increases from UA.

15 years ago I would have agreed, but I think WN has realized that running away from congested airspace puts them away from business travelers.
avi8 wrote:
Glad to see Southwest focusing on profits and not being ashamed of closing a station. Business is business and their results reflect that. They will still serve the NYC metro area at La Guardia, where they have 30+ flights a day. Maybe there’s something in the works to gain a few extra slots?

It's not about shame. It's about the loss of business travelers. If you have a station that loses money, but dropping it causes a bunch of big buck travelers to drop out of your ecosystem/FFP/etc because you can't get them to New York as effectively any more then it is a money losing decision. Something as big as this causes secondary impacts. Very few road warriors are going to abandon them if they close ISP or GSP.

sxf24

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:24 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
sxf24 wrote:
STT757 wrote:

The news was that WN returned the aircraft to GECAS because they either didn't want or couldn't get a deal. Then UA signed them up from GECAS either buying them off them or leasing from them. Anyone with sense knows these are not related events due to the fact that WN didn't even own the aircraft.

Where is this news, besides another thread?

cokepopper

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:29 pm

STT757 wrote:
OzarkD9S wrote:

Any word regarding the gate distribution for Terminal 1 ?

ILNFlyer

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:31 pm

You go where the $ are, and for them it appears LGA is the right place to be in the NY market.

Rdh3e

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:42 pm

sxf24 wrote:
Rdh3e wrote:
sxf24 wrote:

Where is this news, besides another thread?

Southwest announced the retirement of these aircraft over a year ago:
https://leehamnews.com/2018/04/30/south ... tirements/

So unless you think they arranged a quid-pro-quo 18 months ahead of time...

Midwestindy

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:42 pm

alpine1989 wrote:
Let us not forget Southwest has previously retreated from some large markets/mega hubs in the including DEN, IAH and SFO. They don't serve DFW, MIA or ORD. I'd hardly say the sky is falling because EWR is being dropped in favor of a higher priority market.

*clears throat* …..you do realize which WN stations are in all of those metro areas....right? Hardly an apples to apples comparison

Weatherwatcher1 wrote:
alggag wrote:

Why ISP? Long Island has a fairly large population and Southwest has very little competition. It fits perfectly with plenty of demand to Florida.

Since when did population have to do with anything?

We are literally in a thread discussing WN pulling out of an airport in the largest metro area in the US.

The real question is whether or not the operation is performing well, and whether it is a station that is an essential to serve. Not sure WN basically only flying ISP-Florida makes the station essential to have in WN's network....
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos