Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

 
User avatar
ojjunior
Topic Author
Posts: 941
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am

120kg of gold worth USD 40mm stolen from GRU in broad daylight

Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:55 pm

 
ltbewr
Posts: 14998
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:24 pm

Re: 120kg of gold worth USD 40mm stolen from GRU in broad daylight

Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:15 am

One has to believe there was inside connections to know about the gold, where it was and paid off people (including police) to let them do it.
 
gokmengs
Posts: 1281
Joined: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:48 am

Re: 120kg of gold worth USD 40mm stolen from GRU in broad daylight

Fri Jul 26, 2019 4:36 am

Reminds me of the famous Lufthansa Heist at JFK, gotta have people on the inside.
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa
 
User avatar
fraspotter
Posts: 2257
Joined: Sat May 08, 2004 8:12 pm

Re: 120kg of gold worth USD 40mm stolen from GRU in broad daylight

Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:17 am

ltbewr wrote:
One has to believe there was inside connections to know about the gold, where it was and paid off people (including police) to let them do it.


Not sure as to the accuracy but I was listening to the BBC radio and they said that at least one guard or warehouse worker's family was kidnapped to use as hostages in order to gain inside information on the facility and operation.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel
 
mwhcvt
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:01 pm

Re: 120kg of gold worth USD 40mm stolen from GRU in broad daylight

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:32 am

I’m not sure where that value comes from but that figure is way off, it might 40m in the local currency but it’s in the region of 5-6m USD assuming we are talking treasury standard ingot this is only around 8 bars at 14.5kg per bar

Either way it’s an audacious heist and seems well executed, given that it’s more than likely the bars will already be melted down and recast making it practically impossible to identify in practical terms where these criminals may come unstuck is sudden unexplained wealth and spending
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)
 
User avatar
ojjunior
Topic Author
Posts: 941
Joined: Thu Jul 13, 2006 12:31 am

Re: 120kg of gold worth USD 40mm stolen from GRU in broad daylight

Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:54 pm

mwhcvt wrote:
I’m not sure where that value comes from but that figure is way off, it might 40m in the local currency but it’s in the region of 5-6m USD assuming we are talking treasury standard ingot this is only around 8 bars at 14.5kg per bar


Not exactly. Today's exchange rate BRLxUSD is 3,80 so local authorities reported around BRL 150mm stolen which makes around USD 40mm.
 
mwhcvt
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:01 pm

Re: 120kg of gold worth USD 40mm stolen from GRU in broad daylight

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:41 pm

ojjunior wrote:
mwhcvt wrote:
I’m not sure where that value comes from but that figure is way off, it might 40m in the local currency but it’s in the region of 5-6m USD assuming we are talking treasury standard ingot this is only around 8 bars at 14.5kg per bar


Not exactly. Today's exchange rate BRLxUSD is 3,80 so local authorities reported around BRL 150mm stolen which makes around USD 40mm.


Well then they must have stolen more than 120kg of gold or the value is way off, as the current gold price is around $46,000USD per KG
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)
 
smokeybandit
Posts: 1359
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:24 pm

Re: 120kg of gold worth USD 40mm stolen from GRU in broad daylight

Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:49 pm

Were they filming some new Netflix movie?
 
VCPJetter
Posts: 58
Joined: Wed May 15, 2013 9:50 pm

Re: 120kg of gold worth USD 40mm stolen from GRU in broad daylight

Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:08 pm

mwhcvt wrote:
ojjunior wrote:
mwhcvt wrote:
I’m not sure where that value comes from but that figure is way off, it might 40m in the local currency but it’s in the region of 5-6m USD assuming we are talking treasury standard ingot this is only around 8 bars at 14.5kg per bar


Not exactly. Today's exchange rate BRLxUSD is 3,80 so local authorities reported around BRL 150mm stolen which makes around USD 40mm.


Well then they must have stolen more than 120kg of gold or the value is way off, as the current gold price is around $46,000USD per KG



According to news reportit was 750kg and not 140kg. Quite a lot to get remelted and put on the market.
 
flyingcat
Posts: 528
Joined: Tue May 29, 2007 10:33 am

Re: 120kg of gold worth USD 40mm stolen from GRU in broad daylight

Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:28 pm

gokmengs wrote:
Reminds me of the famous Lufthansa Heist at JFK, gotta have people on the inside.

Goodfellas had Frenchy, the AF cargo agent, who not only knew about the shipment, he was the guard as well.

Even he thought that was a joke! :laughing:
 
mwhcvt
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:01 pm

Re: 120kg of gold worth USD 40mm stolen from GRU in broad daylight

Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:36 pm

VCPJetter wrote:
mwhcvt wrote:
ojjunior wrote:

Not exactly. Today's exchange rate BRLxUSD is 3,80 so local authorities reported around BRL 150mm stolen which makes around USD 40mm.


Well then they must have stolen more than 120kg of gold or the value is way off, as the current gold price is around $46,000USD per KG



According to news reportit was 750kg and not 140kg. Quite a lot to get remelted and put on the market.


That would certainly make more sense for the value given, I agree on the getting it to market too if that high of amount
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)
 
User avatar
GlobalAirways
Posts: 69
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:03 am

Re: 120kg of gold worth USD 40mm stolen from GRU in broad daylight

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:27 pm

VCPJetter wrote:
mwhcvt wrote:
ojjunior wrote:

Not exactly. Today's exchange rate BRLxUSD is 3,80 so local authorities reported around BRL 150mm stolen which makes around USD 40mm.


Well then they must have stolen more than 120kg of gold or the value is way off, as the current gold price is around $46,000USD per KG



According to news reportit was 750kg and not 140kg. Quite a lot to get remelted and put on the market.


I know of a couple African countries that specialize in this...
There is little difference in people, but that little difference makes a big difference. The little difference is attitude. The big difference is whether it is positive or negative. ~ W. Clement Stone
 
User avatar
chunhimlai
Posts: 584
Joined: Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:03 am

Re: 120kg of gold worth USD 40mm stolen from GRU in broad daylight

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:48 pm

Surprisingly how weak the security is

In my working place all VAL cargo are breakdown in a fully enclosed area with at least 3 gates protection
 
Blerg
Posts: 3860
Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:42 am

Re: 120kg of gold worth USD 40mm stolen from GRU in broad daylight

Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:49 pm

Seems like they wanted to outshine the guys in Tirana.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos