Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BN747
Topic Author

Airport PAST: EARLY DFW Dallas Dt Worth Intl Airport - Braniff International Operations video

Fri Jul 26, 2019 5:32 pm

Well, here we go again with DFW, check out the colorful world that was Braniff International based at Dallas Fort Worh International Airport

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9rB__6K8Ck

As Braniff did end it's life at DFW, the ceasing of Braniff I & II is the most memorable.

I left the shutdown scenes out as this is meant to be a joyful remembrance of the carrier and it ends nicely.

Braniff III, the last iteration low cost version will be up this weekend, but not as apart of the Airport Past series.
It is being added merely and the dour ending of earlier Braniff, and the shutdown scenes will be feature in this video (again, coming this weekend).

Enjoy Everyone!
BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

KlimaBXsst

Re: Airport PAST: EARLY DFW Dallas Dt Worth Intl Airport - Braniff International Operations video

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:43 pm

What a gem. To have lost so many hundreds of fabulous airline liveries over the years to basically just 12 or so in the US is an absolute spotters tragedy. Thanks for posting.

Same with the loss of manufacturers.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

747d10

Re: Airport PAST: EARLY DFW Dallas Dt Worth Intl Airport - Braniff International Operations video

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:06 pm

Awesome! I typically fast-forward through videos. Not this one!
Thanks for compiling this treasure.
E145 E190 F100 L10/15 DC8 D8S D10 M11 D91/S/5 M80 M90 717 727/S 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 741/42/43/44 752 762/3/4 77E/L 788 A300 310 319 320 321 333 Concorde
AA AC AF AL AQ AS BN CI CO CX DL EA FL HA HU HY KL MC MU MX NA NC NW OZ PA PI QH RC SQ TI TW UA US WA 9K

mbmbos

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:53 pm

Lovely! So much fun.

As a teen, growing up in the Sangre de Cristo mountains, Big Orange would fairly regularly fly over on its trek to Honolulu.
"If I don't manage to fly, someone else will. The spirit wants only for there to be flying. As for who happens to do it, in that he has only a passing interest."
- R.M. Rilke

SpaceshipDC10

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:09 pm

The original Braniff is gone for close to fourty years, but I'm still amazed by its bright look, particularly the Big Oranges. It makes most present liveries seem very dull.

sgbroimp

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:40 pm

As a teen stationed in OK during the early 60's, we would bus to Dallas, then out to Love Field and fly back east, often on a late night Braniff 720. Was a very decent operation as I recall. One of those trips was eventful as I saw a man I thought I recognized walking through the almost empty terminal carrying a garment bag and alone. I thought "I've seen this guy somewhere" and finally got up the courage to walk over to him and ask him if he was Marty Robbins. He was, was very gracious and we had a nice chat. I was in uniform and he thanked me for my service. Made a very kind impression and was happy to chat. Unforgettable.

wingsofman72

Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:23 pm

Great vidieo. Reminds me of my first trip to DFW in May 1974. I was with EA back then in MIA and before de-regulation all routes were given out by the CAB. AA did not fly to the southeast and EA did not fly out west (they may have had LAX then, but not sure). The AA sales rep came in a couple of times a year and had FAM trips for the agents to promote the interline connections.
. This one was for 3 days in SFO for something like $50. This included RT from DFW on AA in F and a nice hotel, transport to the city and a few events. Great deal for those of us who could go.

In this case I used BN to get to DFW (as there was not an early flight to DFW from MIA then). Great flight on 727-200 via TPA. In DFW we took the tram over to AA and a 707-123B to SFO. On return it was a 727-100 on AA to BN 727-200 again. Great fun and F all the way (which you would never get these days).

SANMAN66

Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:29 pm

Those Calder-painted Braniff planes were really the most interesting! I think Braniff was the only US airline to have so many planes in different colors!
PSA Gives you a lift!

TARTRESED

Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:23 am

I had the honor of flying into DFW, and being stuck overnight, a few months after the opening. Going out on the hotel balcony at sunrise and looking down on the BN gates is one of my cherished memories.

Sadly, I have only one surviving picture of that day. I know it has the "Sneaky Snake", and I think "Big Orange."

BN747
Topic Author

Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:10 pm

747d10 wrote:
Awesome! I typically fast-forward through videos. Not this one!
Thanks for compiling this treasure.

Everyone fast forwards these days, but for you state that,,,a huge compliment, thank you!

BN747
"Home of the Brave, made by the Slaves..Land of the Free, if you look like me.." T. Jefferson

KlimaBXsst

Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:42 pm

Airports would be a lot less boring places had Braniff’s “flying colors” been one of the surviving legacy entities of the deregulation era shake out.

It’s too bad they weren’t. Too bad
• JetBlue just likes the blahs of blue!
• Frontier’s got its Animal’s
• United it’s Tulip Globe
• American it’s big “Silver fleet” lol.

• Sun Country a bit small to make “Flying Colors” work without a merger, but Allegiant could use a fresh, updated, expansive and revolutionary forward updated type of Jelly Bean branding.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

BN747
Topic Author

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:10 pm

Friday will bring the Final part of Airport Past:Early DFW - All Carriers

Some surprises...Pan Am 747, DC-10-10, L-1011/5 and 727...then some!

BN747

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:58 pm

Superb collection of videos of Braniff aeroplanes! Really impressed with the leased American 747 in the hybrid Braniff orange stripe livery.

Thank you very much.

DELTA767-400

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:53 pm

I had no clue Calder actually painted part of the plane. For art class in college I picked him for the big project for obvious reasons. :). But I had no clue he did that!!

Who owns that DC9 in the DAL clip? I cannot identify it.

Sweet video man, its before my time. So stuff like this is all i got to look at and dream I was there!

The Bearded Spotter

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos