crownvic
Topic Author

Need help with this Virgin Flight

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:01 pm

Can anyone explain this one. I know that radar glitches occur from time to time on Flightaware where a plane passes over an airport enroute somewhere and flightaware picks it up as landing or taking off from it, but is this a real departure to LGW?? I cant find the arrival anywhere??

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/VIR ... /EGHQ/EGKK

jetwet1

Re: Need help with this Virgin Flight

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Well that's a strange one, VS flew G-VYOU down there on May 20th for scrapping, I wonder if they pulled her back out for some reason ???? Good catch.

CWL757

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:18 pm

I believe this is one of two that they are keeping as backup aircraft.
A319, A320, 738, 743, 744, 752, 772, 788, C150, E175, E190, F70, R22

mwhcvt

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:41 pm

CWL757 wrote:

No doubt down to the ongoing 787 Engine issue if indeed it is a spare stored off site I’d love to know the logistics of bringing it out of storage especially when it’s stored at an airport with limited flights from any VS base, and no guarantee of availability when they need, so do they drive a flight and engineering crew down to do a preflight and then fly back

You have to think the long term parking charge must be seriously lower to justify the hassle vs parking at LGW more easily accessed by road like SOU or FAB
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

hotelmode

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:48 pm

mwhcvt wrote:
CWL757 wrote:

No doubt down to the ongoing 787 Engine issue if indeed it is a spare stored off site I’d love to know the logistics of bringing it out of storage especially when it’s stored at an airport with limited flights from any VS base, and no guarantee of availability when they need, so do they drive a flight and engineering crew down to do a preflight and then fly back

You have to think the long term parking charge must be seriously lower to justify the hassle vs parking at LGW more easily accessed by road like SOU or FAB

There are flights from Heathrow to Newquay. Operated by Flybe who are part owned by VS.

I think getting a 340 into either FAB or SOU would be impossible anyway for an airline (as opposed to Mfrs test pilot in FABs case).

crownvic
Topic Author

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:50 pm

jetwet1 wrote:
Well that's a strange one, VS flew G-VYOU down there on May 20th for scrapping, I wonder if they pulled her back out for some reason ???? Good catch.

Planes are scrapped in Newquy??

mwhcvt

Fri Jul 26, 2019 8:04 pm

hotelmode wrote:
mwhcvt wrote:
CWL757 wrote:

There are flights from Heathrow to Newquay. Operated by Flybe who are part owned by VS.

I think getting a 340 into either FAB or SOU would be impossible anyway for an airline (as opposed to Mfrs test pilot in FABs case).

Actually having looked I never realised just how short SOUs runways is, but FAB is only a couple of thousand feet short of the distance needed for an MTOW takeoff and I think we can both agreed any positioning flight in and out would be done a long way short of MTOW
Must think up a new one soon, slow moving brain trying to get into gear ;)

jetwet1

Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:11 am

crownvic wrote:
jetwet1 wrote:

Planes are scrapped in Newquy??

https://mobile.twitter.com/airportwebca ... 96?lang=en

bhxalex

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:06 am

mwhcvt wrote:
CWL757 wrote:

Southampton can't take something that size so that's a non starter. Farnborough isn't exactly blessed with free apron space and outside of the air show doesn't receive anything bigger than a 320ACJ or 737BBJ, in line with local regulations I believe. So neither are suitable.

hotelmode

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:28 am

mwhcvt wrote:
hotelmode wrote:
mwhcvt wrote:

Actually having looked I never realised just how short SOUs runways is, but FAB is only a couple of thousand feet short of the distance needed for an MTOW takeoff and I think we can both agreed any positioning flight in and out would be done a long way short of MTOW

Look at the Landing distance available not just take off.

Theres nowhere to park one anyway.

crownvic
Topic Author

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:35 am

From the Virgin Source site...

Jul 26, 2019

Virgin Atlantic A340-600 G-VYOU, which has been in storage at Newquay since 20th May, positioned Newquay – London Gatwick as VS811P this afternoon prior to returning to service.

New life for a stored A340-600!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos