jamsco99
Topic Author

BA using remote gates

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:02 pm

Lots of threads about BA cost cutting recently.

My past few flights I've been at remote gates when arriving European airports on BA (bussed to terminal, no jet bridges used even though the airport has them).

My flight tonight from YUL on a 787 with BA is also at a remote gate,needing to be bussed to the aircraft.

Is this part of the cost cutting or just a coincidence ?

BasilFawlty

Re: BA using remote gates

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:47 pm

At European airports it depends if that particular gate with a jet bridge is capable of handling non-Schengen flights.
'Every year donkeys and mules kill more people than plane crashes'

jamsco99
Topic Author

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:49 pm

BasilFawlty wrote:
At European airports it depends if that particular gate with a jet bridge is capable of handling non-Schengen flights.

I know in porto a few weeks ago it could. I think there was 4 get bridges in the non schengen area.

J343

Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:23 am

Sorry if this is irrelevant but it does make me wonder why BA107 to DXB always uses Gate A10 at T5. I always choose this flight whenever I go to Dubai and Gate A10 has always been used. BA Mid and Long haul are normally using B and C gates at T5.

BA777FO

Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:44 am

J343 wrote:
Sorry if this is irrelevant but it does make me wonder why BA107 to DXB always uses Gate A10 at T5. I always choose this flight whenever I go to Dubai and Gate A10 has always been used. BA Mid and Long haul are normally using B and C gates at T5.

Must just be bad luck. Today's BA107 went from B35 and tomorrow's is going off B42.

There are typically 10 stands at T5 that are "remote" and require bussing - there simply aren't enough stands for the operation.

ltbewr

Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:07 am

On my arrival on BA from JFK to LHR, (a 747), last November we had to use stairs and a bus to get to the terminal. Maybe a flight a bit too early or late, ground or other delays, a gate tied up by a mechanical or other similar problem or just not enough gates at 'peak times'.

tvarad

Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:54 am

Flew to BLR last Sunday and we were bused from gate A10 up the stairs into the aircraft. Flight was at 14:15 hours.

smi0006

Sat Jul 27, 2019 4:48 am

Highly unlikely to be cost cutting most airports - remote bays get a rebate form the airport company as they are so unpopular, but are more expensive as more staff are required to turn the aircraft around, and it’s slower. Most bay allocations are done by airport companies, it’s done using a metric of aircraft size and turn around times to maximise asset usage.

Andy33

Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:45 am

BA has been using remote stands at airports for many many years, so this isn't an instance of new costcutting, simply a continuation of what they've always done. Whether you accept the 100th anniversary publicity as valid or not, it is definitely the case that there were no jetbridges (or jets) in 1919.
There's a significant number of airports in Europe with no jetbridges at all, and several of these have BA service. There isn't any kind of stigma attached to remote stands in Europe, indeed at some airports it is actually quicker to be bussed to the terminal rather than walk from a very distant gate, because the bus arrives right next to immigration/baggage reclaim.

jamsco99
Topic Author

Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:38 am

... and after being bussed to the aircraft at Montreal, I'm now at a remote stand at lhr being bussed to the terminal.
Although I was on a quite empty 787-800

Lofty

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:25 am

As a stand planner, I can say that costs are not a consideration when planning stands.
It is complex process and one that is looked at years in advanced for example some airports will give you slots but are unable to offer on pier stand at that time.

Lofty

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:38 am

James
If I have one stand with a jetty and 3 aircraft, I will look at the following:
1. Aircraft size V size of stand needed later. For example if I put a B787 on a A380 stand will that mean I will not have a A380 stand later.
2. In hot weather does the aircraft have a serviceable APU, if one of them does not then I would give them the on pier stand.
3. Length of time aircraft is on the ground, this will include engineering requirements.
4. Number of wheelchair passengers, this changes flight by flight

Stand Planning is very complex with bigger airports having to invest millions of pounds in Stand Planning / Allocation Systems.
3. Number of passengers.

SueD

Re: BA using remote

Sat Jul 27, 2019 12:01 pm

At many of the major and secondary Schengen area airports UK flights are routinely parked remotely and bussed because they lack sufficient contact stands for none Schegen and none EU narrow body arrivals. Most contact stands being dedicated to internal market no borders flights for obvious reasons.

These include major places such as Frankfurt Dusseldorf and Lisbon among others,

Whilst places such as Geneva see UK arrivals sharing facilities with the likes of Aeroflot, Ukraine, Serbia and Israel.

Use of the smaller Brazilian and Canadian commuter jets and jet props also results in many UK flights being remotely parked at airports such as Amsterdam Vienna and Zurich among others.

With Brexit really just weeks away , this practice may well accelerate at more Schengen facilities.

At Heathrow each of the T5 buildings have several end bussing stands plus there are remotes on the southern face of the main terminal often used by leased in capacity and that need special treatment, for instance requiring manual baggage offloading - examples 737s of Jettime or Titan, or their 767 or 757s.

senatorflyer

Sat Jul 27, 2019 2:20 pm

SueD wrote:
At many of the major and secondary Schengen area airports UK flights are routinely parked remotely and bussed because they lack sufficient contact stands for none Schegen and none EU narrow body arrivals. Most contact stands being dedicated to internal market no borders flights for obvious reasons.

These include major places such as Frankfurt Dusseldorf and Lisbon among others,

Whilst places such as Geneva see UK arrivals sharing facilities with the likes of Aeroflot, Ukraine, Serbia and Israel.

Use of the smaller Brazilian and Canadian commuter jets and jet props also results in many UK flights being remotely parked at airports such as Amsterdam Vienna and Zurich among others.

With Brexit really just weeks away , this practice may well accelerate at more Schengen facilities.

At Heathrow each of the T5 buildings have several end bussing stands plus there are remotes on the southern face of the main terminal often used by leased in capacity and that need special treatment, for instance requiring manual baggage offloading - examples 737s of Jettime or Titan, or their 767 or 757s.

What makes you say that? The UK is not in Schengen so from this perspective nothing is really changing.

And T5 is packed as it is. So they do use the few remote stands they have on a daily basis.

clrd4t8koff

Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:19 pm

jamsco99 wrote:
Lots of threads about BA cost cutting recently.

My past few flights I've been at remote gates when arriving European airports on BA (bussed to terminal, no jet bridges used even though the airport has them).

My flight tonight from YUL on a 787 with BA is also at a remote gate,needing to be bussed to the aircraft.

Is this part of the cost cutting or just a coincidence ?

The YUL-LHR flight must use remote gates regularly. I flew BA94 YUL-LHR Tuesday night and we parked at a remote gate and were bussed in upon arrival Wednesday morning.

Of course I had to arrive on one of the hottest days on record at Heathrow :hot: Would have been nice to have a gate that day for sure

cosyr

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:03 pm

BA777FO wrote:
J343 wrote:

Must just be bad luck. Today's BA107 went from B35 and tomorrow's is going off B42.

There are typically 10 stands at T5 that are "remote" and require bussing - there simply aren't enough stands for the operation.

6 of those 10 at the ends of B and C have more than enough space, had they planned the concourses to reach all gates to begin with. Hell, even just put in some more of those mile long jetways. I get airports like FRA that have grown too fast for the terminal space, but T5 at LHR was built recently and was specifically designed to not reach all stands, which just makes no sense. Why do the concourses just stop short of those stands? They seem to have learned the lesson at T2, at least for the stands at the end of the satellite concourse.

StTim

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:14 pm

BA use remote stands at T5 as part of normal operations.

It is no big deal really.

skipness1E

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:32 pm

cosyr wrote:
BA777FO wrote:
J343 wrote:

6 of those 10 at the ends of B and C have more than enough space, had they planned the concourses to reach all gates to begin with. Hell, even just put in some more of those mile long jetways. I get airports like FRA that have grown too fast for the terminal space, but T5 at LHR was built recently and was specifically designed to not reach all stands, which just makes no sense. Why do the concourses just stop short of those stands? They seem to have learned the lesson at T2, at least for the stands at the end of the satellite concourse.

Cost benefit analysis, the budget was cut I seem to remember, plus HAL do not want a busy T5B/C, they want passengers there for no more than the time it takes to board, the dwell time is to be minimal, hence why there are so very few shops.
Hence the additional cost to build out to Stands 531, 541, 551, 558, 567 and 568 was seem as a luxury....!
As has been said, T2 does not have this issue :)

Aisak

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:35 pm

cosyr wrote:
6 of those 10 at the ends of B and C have more than enough space, had they planned the concourses to reach all gates to begin with.

The T5C building is shorter and at the south side and 2 more stands are hard stands. As you and others say, the building is also shorter at the north requiring jetways to be longer.
The fact is clear: floor space is not as important as other buildings as passengers spend little time there. Less money to invest in construction and less money to spend on maintenance (cleaning, repairs, heating-a/c...)

The hard stands on the B “footprint” make sense as they are on the left side of the facade and it would require a “complex” jetway so it can reach the left side of the plane where boarding takes place.
Any airport requires remote stands. These ones just happen to be next to the building terminal...

senatorflyer

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:40 pm

skipness1E wrote:
cosyr wrote:
BA777FO wrote:

Cost benefit analysis, the budget was cut I seem to remember, plus HAL do not want a busy T5B/C, they want passengers there for no more than the time it takes to board, the dwell time is to be minimal, hence why there are so very few shops.
Hence the additional cost to build out to Stands 531, 541, 551, 558, 567 and 568 was seem as a luxury....!
As has been said, T2 does not have this issue :)

T2 might have not that issue but it’s a long long hike to walk to the satellite (former T1 building). I rather prefer to be bussed at T5 than using T2. T5 is a lot more efficient in my eyes regardless of you depart from A or C gates.

Bhoy

Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:13 pm

Any time I've flown BA through Terminal 3 (albeit 10 odd years ago, inbound from Vienna/Madrid, outbound to Madrid) it was from a hardstand.

Had the occasional hardstand on BA since, both at T5 and Gatwick South terminal, although those flights were all domestics to/from Glasgow.

Aisak

Sat Jul 27, 2019 8:49 pm

cosyr wrote:
They seem to have learned the lesson at T2, at least for the stands at the end of the satellite concourse.

In part that’s because T5 was built for one operator while Heathrow East was designed for several operators (Star+VS+some fit ins). Even though there are no formal gate assignments to specific carriers/flights, you can be almost 100% sure that a longhaul widebody flight will depart from T2B.
Also some carriers have lounges at T2B and will not accept people being held at T2A until flight gate is published on the boards. As there is free flow of passengers being able to use T2B at any time, there’s the need of having as much floor as possible unlike T5C.

There are also several remote stands available nearby, so no need to reserve stands on the T2B footprint for that use. That is not the case for T5 complex.

Aisak

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:05 pm

senatorflyer wrote:
SueD wrote:

What makes you say that? The UK is not in Schengen so from this perspective nothing is really changing.

Senatorflyer flyer was probably talking about EU schengen medium size airport where most flights do not require passport control as the UK (among other EU countries) require.

Because of size and market dynamics it makes no sense to isolate a part of the airport for non-schengen passport-required flights, so usually some gates are equipped with passport control booths. The problem arises when a full a321 uses one of these stands is that 200 passengers have to queue in line at the jetway to clear inmigration. As there is not enough space, you can’t segregate passengers in several lanes (EU nationals are easier and quicker to process than others). Also, usually the same booths are used for checking the passports of outbound passengers so imagine the time required to process nearly 400 passengers at a gate.

Until all passengers are processed and vacated the jetway, boarding cannot start and a quick 45 minutes turn around dream just goes down the toilet.

It’s just way easier to deplane all those passengers from a remote by bus to a central immigration area, while you can begin processing passengers at a bus gate and have them ready (at least part of them) to be bussed to the plane

senatorflyer

Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:12 pm

Aisak wrote:
senatorflyer wrote:
SueD wrote:

Senatorflyer flyer was probably talking about EU schengen medium size airport where most flights do not require passport control as the UK (among other EU countries) require.

Because of size and market dynamics it makes no sense to isolate a part of the airport for non-schengen passport-required flights, so usually some gates are equipped with passport control booths. The problem arises when a full a321 uses one of these stands is that 200 passengers have to queue in line at the jetway to clear inmigration. As there is not enough space, you can’t segregate passengers in several lanes (EU nationals are easier and quicker to process than others). Also, usually the same booths are used for checking the passports of outbound passengers so imagine the time required to process nearly 400 passengers at a gate.

Until all passengers are processed and vacated the jetway, boarding cannot start and a quick 45 minutes turn around dream just goes down the toilet.

It’s just way easier to deplane all those passengers from a remote by bus to a central immigration area, while you can begin processing passengers at a bus gate and have them ready (at least part of them) to be bussed to the plane

Actually, not really. SueD was also talking about major airports. While the UK is not part of Schengen Brexit won’t change anything in this regard.

BA uses contact gates at the vast majority of European airports. Some LCY flights will be at remote stands while LHR will be at the terminal (as in FRA), Ryanair will always use the remote stands (unless they cut a good deal) while EasyJet does a mixture.

While other airlines from their hubs will also use contact gates at their hubs for mainline UK flights, while the regional planes are often on remote stands but for both Schengen and none Schengen flights.

So I really don’t understand SueD’s statement.

JamesCousins

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:10 pm

smi0006 wrote:
Highly unlikely to be cost cutting most airports - remote bays get a rebate form the airport company as they are so unpopular, but are more expensive as more staff are required to turn the aircraft around, and it’s slower. Most bay allocations are done by airport companies, it’s done using a metric of aircraft size and turn around times to maximise asset usage.

Remote stands are overall less popular, but they are definitely cheaper than expensive jet bridges, it's the reason Ryanair, easyJet, charter holiday airlines (Jet2, TUI, MT...) use them so heavily.
Q400, A320-200, A321-200, 737-500, 737-800, 747-400, 757-200, 787-9 // FCA, TOM, TUI, MON, MT, BA, VS, DL, BE, X9, OLY // Upcoming: EVA 77W, AS A320, VS 787-9, VS A35K, KLM E190, KLM 738

Lofty

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:12 am

9/11 put a stop to T5B and T5C being built to the end as per the original plan, some short sighted bean counter at Heathrow Airport Limited decided they would see a drop in passenger numbers! so to deliver on time and with-in budget the plans were changed.

I can say at night and around about 1400 T5 will have no free stands on or off pier, it does get that full.

smi0006

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:55 am

JamesCousins wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

Remote stands are overall less popular, but they are definitely cheaper than expensive jet bridges, it's the reason Ryanair, easyJet, charter holiday airlines (Jet2, TUI, MT...) use them so heavily.

Not always or at least in my part of the world. As I said many airport companies will give rebates for remote stands, depends on the agreement structure between airlines and airports. But it places significant pressure on ground handling and requires an increase in staffing levels. Perhaps some LCC can make it work, due to capped PRM handling, no cleaning, catering etc.

n729pa

Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:36 am

Past two months on BA I've had the following..
LHR VLC T5A and gate (at destination)
VLC LHR gate and T5B
LHR VIE T3 remote and gate
VIE LHR remote and T3 gate
LHR TXL T5A remote and gate
TXL LHR gate and T5A domestic gate (resulting in bus for customs)
LHR STO T5C and gate
STO LHR gate and T5A
LHR DUB T5A gate and remote
DUB LHR remote and T5A gate
LHR FRA T5B gate and remote
FRA LHR remote and T5A gate

Personally I don't mind a remote stand coming into LHR especially at T5B as the bus will take you to the bottom of the stairs in T5A for customs. But I've had a time at FRA on Lufthansa where we've pulled up at a regular gate and have walked off (in my case the back) by stairs and walked into the terminal via the tarmac. Buses and remote stands are common at HEL with Finnair, even for my last trip coming back on an A330 and also had it at MAD coming off a BA777. So size doesn't always matter either.

The KLM City Hopper set up at AMS seems to work well and makes good use of space available, so why not.

I enjoy watching all the folks who bring on oversized and overweight cases struggling with them. But appreciate they can be more difficult for elderly or passengers who have a problem with stairs.

I've not got a problem with BA or anyone using remote stands provided the operation is co-ordinated properly, which generally it is.

Lofty

Sun Jul 28, 2019 10:54 am

Stand costs are very complex as they are based on weight of aircraft and time of day.
If you look at Stand cost V cost of off pier stand (airline steps, airline buses including drivers and fuel etc) you would see that off pier is not that much cheaper. At Heathrow this is due to the airline or handling agent has to provide their own Steps and Buses and not the airport owners, that is why you pay less as you have to provide more.

J343

Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:18 pm

It's not just BA and LHR that uses remote gate. As one have said previously, it's very common in HEL and with AY.

Also, QR uses remote gates and ferry passengers by bus in DOH. So far with QR, I have had:
LGW- DOH remote gate + bus
DOH- HKT remote gate + bus
DOH- LGW remote gate + bus

These happened between 18:00-20:00 and between 23:00-01:00. DOH wasnt very busy during those times and with DOH's size being similar to HKG, I would have thought jet bridges would be used.

StTim

Sun Jul 28, 2019 4:47 pm

Had a remote gate at AUH for an EY flight to Hyderabad.

CPS001

Sun Jul 28, 2019 5:30 pm

I've flew to/from MAA (B788) 6 times and 4 of those have used remote stands. The other two used a T5A jet bridge. I've also flown in from DFW and DEL (B772), those landed at T5B/C jet bridges.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos