Northwest1988
Topic Author

Do any FBOs use jetways?

Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:45 pm

Do any FBOs use jetways? There are plenty of BBJs and other large private jets out there. Just curious!

mhkansan

Re: Do any FBOs use jetways?

Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:52 pm

There are particularly luxurious private terminals at many middle eastern airports with jet bridges. I can't think of any FBOs that have them in the USA. The Boeing delivery center at PAE has jetbridges.

TimeForFlight

Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:57 pm

Million Air in Topeka, KS, has a jetbridge in their facility. It seems they took over a terminal building that might have been a little too ambitious.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:15 pm

I’ve never seen one at an FBO. A jerbridge would only work for a BBJ or ACJ. And there’re aren’t that many of them outside the ME. Heck, in Beirut, the FBO used a stair truck for a 757.

PhilMcCrackin

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:24 pm

Not that I'm aware of. Too expensive and of limited utility. Most FBOs have limited tarmac real estate and using jetways wouldn't be the most efficient use of that space.

Karlsands

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:26 pm

Would be a horrid investment in terms of the ratio of normal private aircraft vs the occasional charter or bbq or acj

C525C

Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:35 pm

Multiple FBO's have them, few use them.

KFOE-Topeka, Kansas. Million Air.Old terminal building and the jetway is used for military charters.
KSBD-San Bernardino, California. Million Air was original franchise and it is one of the nicest FBO's in the world. Has it's own jetway connecting to it's very own Customs facility. It was built by a convicted felon who used it as a money laundering operation (I think)
KPTK-Pontiac, Michigan. Pentastar Aviation has one used for Daimler-Chrysler's ACJ's
PASC-Deadhorse, Alaska. Deadhorse Aviation uses one for North Slope charters. Fairly busy as well.

There are a few more, but I can't recall them at the moment.

stl07

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:06 pm

Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Do any FBOs use jetways? I’m

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:10 pm

The “royal”terminals are hardly the average FBO—exclusive to the royal flights, closed to the average prole with his little Gulfstream.

DXB has something similar, but this is like saying Million Air or Signature is Andrews AFB. Heck the Presidential Flight is separate from main base

flyDTW1992

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:41 pm

C525C wrote:

KFOE-Topeka, Kansas. Million Air.Old terminal building and the jetway is used for military charters.
KSBD-San Bernardino, California. Million Air was original franchise and it is one of the nicest FBO's in the world. Has it's own jetway connecting to it's very own Customs facility. It was built by a convicted felon who used it as a money laundering operation (I think)
KPTK-Pontiac, Michigan. Pentastar Aviation has one used for Daimler-Chrysler's ACJ's
PASC-Deadhorse, Alaska. Deadhorse Aviation uses one for North Slope charters. Fairly busy as well.

I was gonna mention Pentastar as well. Looked at their site out of curiosity, it claims "the only privately-owned jet bridge in the US"
Now you're flying smart

TTailedTiger

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:19 am

No taller than most business jets are, you would think FBOs would offer covered area for loading and unloading. I can't imagine people paying that kind of money for privacy enjoy walking out in the elements.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Jul 28, 2019 12:31 am

Some of the southern US FBOs have canopies. The best touch I ever saw was the operation that put a mirror behind glare resistant glass, so passengers getting off the plane could see just how fancy they were. Never failed, the ladies would check their hair, the gentlemen their ties were straight. Even a stop line on the ramp.

A Global or G650 is 100’x100’x30’. That’s 34’ shorter, 8’ less span and 4’ shorter than the B727-100

clickhappy

Sun Jul 28, 2019 1:07 am

The SBD jet bridge is not connected to the FBO in any way. Large charters use air stairs.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Sun Jul 28, 2019 2:36 am

PTK - Pentastar does, and as said used it for the DCX A319 flying for flights from PTK-STR however those ended in 2008 when Chrysler was spun off to Cerberus before merging with Fiat. I believe it was used for sports charters when the Pistons still played at the Palace as well and the NBA teams flew into PTK. DL was there often as they had the NBA charter contract for several teams and the A319 and later 752s would use the jet bridge.

I believe SAV did for a while when Signature took over a portion of the old terminal when the new terminal opened in the mid 90s. I believe 1-2 jet bridges were left for awhile. No idea how often they were used and I think they are either gone and Signature no longer uses the old terminal for FBO ops.

nws2002

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:06 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
No taller than most business jets are, you would think FBOs would offer covered area for loading and unloading. I can't imagine people paying that kind of money for privacy enjoy walking out in the elements.

Both FBOs at PHX have large shade structures to park aircraft under for loading/unloading.

AviationAddict

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:28 pm

nws2002 wrote:
TTailedTiger wrote:

Both FBOs at PHX have large shade structures to park aircraft under for loading/unloading.

This is fairly common in warmer climates. Most newer FBOs in places like Florida, Texas, etc. have some sort of canopy. The size of the airport and the FBO budget obviously dictate how big and elaborate it will be.

n92r03

Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:32 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The best touch I ever saw was the operation that put a mirror behind glare resistant glass, so passengers getting off the plane could see just how fancy they were. Never failed, the ladies would check their hair, the gentlemen their ties were straight. Even a stop line on the ramp.

That is good stuff! Would enjoy hearing about more "highlights" of your time flying the other half around in style...changing (or omitting) the names to protect the innocent. :)

eicvd

Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:36 pm

sassiciai wrote:
American POV, American reply! The world is not USA-centric

Maybe MAGA is working, (or maybe not), but there is a much larger world outside of the USA than inside its borders

I challenge that "FBO" , while maybe common in "The States", is not common in the other 90% of the world! Stay cool, yourself!

I’m not American, I know what FBO meant!
COYBIB

SyracuseAvGeek

Mon Jul 29, 2019 5:47 pm

C525C wrote:

That’s odd that Deadhorse has one, I don’t even think they use jetbridges for the commercial flights.
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

32andBelow

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:00 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
C525C wrote:

That’s odd that Deadhorse has one, I don’t even think they use jetbridges for the commercial flights.

The “charters” are basically an airline ran by ConocoPhillips.

They recently built a brand new hangar and facility up there.

n92r03

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:07 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The best touch I ever saw was the operation that put a mirror behind glare resistant glass, so passengers getting off the plane could see just how fancy they were. Never failed, the ladies would check their hair, the gentlemen their ties were straight. Even a stop line on the ramp.

That is good stuff! Would enjoy hearing about more "highlights" of your time flying the other half around in style...changing (or omitting) the names to protect the innocent. :)

Seabear

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:16 pm

So if the TLA "FBO" isn't common outside of the USA, what are FBOs commonly called elsewhere?

superjeff

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:22 pm

Good grief. it took to about post #31 (Longhornmaniac) to say it: "Fixed Base Operator". Many of us knew that but we could have skipped about 20 of the foregoing posts by simply asking the original question: What is a FBO?

ytib

Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:22 pm

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
C525C wrote:

Correct, Alaska Airlines does not have a jet bridge at their terminal at Deadhorse.
Airbus:318,319,320,321,332,333,388
Boeing:707,717,732,733,734,73Q,735,73G,738,7M8,739,752,753,742,74L,744,762,763,772,77L,77W,789
Misc:142,CN1,CR2,CR7,DC8,DH2,DH8,D8Q,D10,D95,EM2,ER3,ER4,E70,100,J31,M11,M83,M88,M90,SF3

Where is Neil

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:23 pm

Seabear wrote:
So if the TLA "FBO" isn't common outside of the USA, what are FBOs commonly called elsewhere?

The idea of a FBO, yes, Fixed Base Operator; originated in the barnstorming era where airports were open fields with rare services. In the US, it’s a common term for any operation that provides services and fuel for GA traffic. If it’s becoming common outside the US, it’s because of increased traffic at terminals catering to the ever larger corporate international operator. Harrod’s at LTN, Universal at Le Bourget are examples. They were very rare even 10 years outside of places like Luton, LeBourget, or Frankfurt.

The common arrangement is a “handling agent” who is contracted to arrange parking for an arrival, greet the passengers, arrange CIQ (oops, a TLA for customs, immigration and quarantine), have ground transfers planned, has contacts with a fueled, etc. Handlers usually were a van, a hi viz vest and a small office. The handlers are usually contracted to the large international service providers like Jeppesen International Trip Planning in San Jose, Universal Aviation in Houston or ARINC out of Annapolis, MD. There are competitors based around to world to serve local operators.

Now loads of airports, even Mumbai and Moscow have what are accurately FBOs designed for servicing private jets.

Lots of stories, too. Funny handler story at Tenerife North. Weird trip in/out of Dubai and Delhi to South America. Handler usually worked TFS and was very unfamiliar with TFN. She managed to hash up the operation, but we just tried to roll with it when when she stopped arguing fruitlessly with the rampers and started crying. F/A looked at me and said, “another Mediterranean moment”

GF

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:58 pm

An FBO usually means they own/lease the ramp for aircraft parking, have their own fuel trucks, hangar and full service office with conference rooms, catering access, ramp transportation. A traditional handler does not directly own/lease facilities, they just arrange for them from the airport operator, fueled, etc. Example in Mumbai prior to the FBO, we parked on mostly on the old Navy ramp on the south side, fueling was at the mercy of the airline departure schedule, handler had to process crew and pax thru the main international terminal. It took hours, now it’s all done in the FBO on that ramp. Delhi we parked on the cargo ramp as we did at PEK prior to the private aviation being built for the Olympics in 2008. HKBAC at VHHH has the own ramp but has outgrown many times over. Sorry, that’s HKG in TLA.

GF

KCaviator

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:56 am

FOE is frequently our alternate flying into MCI. Always thought it was weird since they have no airline service. I’m assuming the Millionaire jetbridge has a big part in making FOE a viable alternate.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos