Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hollywoodcory

Re: The WestJet Thread

Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:55 pm

There's rumours that WS intends to sell some or all of its 763s by next summer. If true, than there won't be much international growth next year. Also likely means YEG/YWG-LGW would get cut, and YVR-LGW upped to a 789.

Not sure what would happen with BCN though.

WS7M8
Topic Author

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:13 pm

[quote="MIflyer12"[/quote]

I don't expect that, really. DL has made sure that growing ops at LAX, SEA and BOS are flown exclusively with 2-class (jet) aircraft. They will not readily seek to pollute them with Saabs and Encore Q400s.[/quote]

That is a good point.

However, would the feed in a WS Link branded Saab make sense....the same as DL passengers accepting a connection on any number of partner airlines worldwide.

It all goes back to feeding the hub. The more passengers Delta can get transiting through SEA, the better off they will be. As Victoria is a prosperous city and a big gateway to Vancouver Island tourism, I was surprised they could not make it work with a regional jet. Not too many cities that sized in that part of North America that do not have significant air links to multiple airline hubs in both Canada and the USA. I am not a seasoned YYJ traveler but a quick perusal of their departure and arrival boards this past week reveals a mix of Air Canada and WestJet mainline and turboprop flights to Vancouver, Kelowna, Edmonton, Calgary, and Toronto. Alaska Airlines does SEA YYJ. I seem to recall United Express used to go there from SFO but that was dropped. Did they ever have LAX service. I guess the Canadian airlines have figured out that it is best to route their passengers through their hubs.

Curious though if the extremely short flight on a Link Saab would make sense, with the goal of building some traction and eventually transitioning the route to a larger aircraft. If you are transiting through a Canadian hub to numerous points in the US, odds are you are doing a three leg itinerary, whereas YYJ SEA could cut that to two in many cases, plus unlocking certain DL or SkyTeam international connections that might not be available through YVR.

WS7M8
Topic Author

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:30 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
There's rumours that WS intends to sell some or all of its 763s by next summer. If true, than there won't be much international growth next year. Also likely means YEG/YWG-LGW would get cut, and YVR-LGW upped to a 789.

Interesting. I always thought they would be getting rid of them in spring 2021, or more likely the fall 2021, once the summer is done and they have gotten the high season usage out of them. They have 4 B767s and 4 B787s slated for first half 2021 delivery. Coincidence or not. Perhaps the timeline has been pushed up.

My WAG is that they use the 767s as a downpayment with Boeing Capital for the 10 B 787 options they have, which will probably be exercised at some point in the next year.

BCN will probably be transitioned to a 787. I am really curious to see how their winter 2019-2020 schedule is going to unfold, with using the 767s for southern flying vs TATL. I believe there is a niche for that type of capacity airplane in the WestJet fleet, though Sunwing 737s have been running circles around Transat and their widebodies for southern vacation flying and that TS is rejigging their fleet with narrowbody Airbus 321s and 737s suggests otherwise. I hope they hang on to them for another winter (2020-2021) and then the 2021 summer season.

Dominion301

Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:33 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:

I highly doubt that either of those routes would get cut as WS is the only nonstop to London, and in the case of YWG, the only nonstop period. Also the flights are already loaded for next summer on the 763.

What WS7M8 said regarding the 763’s phaseout makes perfect sense as that would mean no route cuts. The 763 to 789 capacity bump for two low capacity transatlantic routes should be easily absorbed.

hollywoodcory

Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:36 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

I highly doubt that either of those routes would get cut as WS is the only nonstop to London, and in the case of YWG, the only nonstop period. Also the flights are already loaded for next summer on the 763.

What WS7M8 said regarding the 763’s phaseout makes perfect sense as that would mean no route cuts. The 763 to 789 capacity bump for two low capacity transatlantic routes should be easily absorbed.

Next summer's schedule is far from finalized. It presently is the same as this past summer, with only minor tweaks. I suspect the long-haul international plan with be released next month and the rest of the schedule in January.

My thoughts were based on the idea that all four would be sold off by next summer. Still not completely sold on the idea of YEG/YWG jumping from 262 to 320 seat capacity. But I'll be happy to be proven wrong on this. Would also mean a 787 would have to be added on YEG-YYZ as well.

cumulushumilis

Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:15 pm

I am thinking the 763 fleet departure will happen in the fall 2020 time period. WS will fly them hard over the summer months when they need the capacity overseas, and take them out of the network, after the season. They will only have six wide bodies in service next summer if they dump the 763s in May. Does not make business sense to pull them just before peak season. They are aiming to receive 4 remaining 789s at the beginning of 2021. Makes sense to maintain the wide body capacity, as long as possible, as greatest demand is the summer season. Fly them hard, and time it so they are out cycles and hours.

Dominion301

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:21 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Next summer's schedule is far from finalized. It presently is the same as this past summer, with only minor tweaks. I suspect the long-haul international plan with be released next month and the rest of the schedule in January.

My thoughts were based on the idea that all four would be sold off by next summer. Still not completely sold on the idea of YEG/YWG jumping from 262 to 320 seat capacity. But I'll be happy to be proven wrong on this. Would also mean a 787 would have to be added on YEG-YYZ as well.

Not necessarily as the aircraft can be on a W pattern at LGW.

Whiteguy

Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:27 am

hollywoodcory wrote:

After next summer not by the summer....

WS7M8
Topic Author

Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:40 am

Interesting article from early September on WestJet Max-8s, from a commercial, maintenance, and flight operations perspective.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westje ... -1.5268771

The 6 minute 30 second video embedded at the end is worth watching. It includes interviews with many key behind-the-scenes players at WestJet who are integral to keeping the airline running. I loved the clips from the Operations Center.

The biggest takeaway I got from this is WestJet has been running 98% of their schedule throughout the whole Max grounding situation, minus a significantly larger portion of their fleet. That is a tribute to their hard-working maintenance folks.

From a 737 Max 8 perspective, they note WestJet has taken them out of their schedule through early January. Although it was pointed out that if somehow the aircraft is cleared to fly again before January, they could be sprinkled in the schedule as spares or additional flight segments.

Enjoy!

WS 7M8

BML87

Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:03 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Why couldn't YEG handle 320 seats per week? And if your source on this is Cage on SSP he's notoriously wrong on almost everything.

whywhyzee

Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:32 pm

I think if this should happen, the likelyhood of anywhere outside of YYZ, YYC and YVR maintaining widebody service is near zero. It isn't even a question of if places like YEG could support it, its a question of maximizing yield and not fragmenting their new premium product. The best way to do that is to grow the hubs, and feed them with connections.

hollywoodcory

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:32 pm

BML87 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

Why couldn't YEG handle 320 seats per week? And if your source on this is Cage on SSP he's notoriously wrong on almost everything.

There is no real advantage to WS keeping 1 weekly flight for 9 weeks on a 787, other than them being the only carrier.

Also I originally heard these rumors from a WS crew member. The rest is just personal opinion. Even prior to this, I had assumed the 787s wouldn't be present anywhere other than YYC, YYZ and YVR.

Dominion301

Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:48 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
BML87 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

There is no real advantage to WS keeping 1 weekly flight for 9 weeks on a 787, other than them being the only carrier.

Also I originally heard these rumors from a WS crew member. The rest is just personal opinion. Even prior to this, I had assumed the 787s wouldn't be present anywhere other than YYC, YYZ and YVR.

That’s why those rou operate when they do. During that period, demand is so strong, WS would actually be turning away quality yields by eliminating those routes. There are other examples of this.

Speech99

Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:43 am

Has there been any word as to how well Atlanta is doing for them?

CAPTYXU

Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:18 am

ATL is doing well and they could add another flight if they had the aircraft to do it

WS7M8
Topic Author

Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:57 am

CAPTYXU wrote:
ATL is doing well and they could add another flight if they had the aircraft to do it

The power of connections with Delta.

When the JV gets finalized, I expect we'll see a lot of cross-pollination between WestJet and Delta hubs to maximize connection opportunities. A year or two ago, few people thought that YYC ATL would work, as there aren't many obvious links between the two cities. But you can literally get anywhere in the world from ATL, and that is why the route is doing well.

YYC-JFK's success perhaps foreshadowed this a little.

Interesting to hear that they'd add another flight if they could. It appears to have been an -800 all week, which is typically the aircraft WestJet uses on their best-performing routes.

YYZORD

Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:09 pm

I could also see YYC-DTW & YYC-BOS working too after the WS/DL JV working out.

YYZORD

Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:56 pm

Also any idea if DL will make YVR-JFK year round after the cancellation of YVR-JFK by CX and AC being the sole provider of YVR-NYC flights through EWR? The WS/DL JV hopefully should make this route a very profitable year round route and should help WS with their network.

airnorth

Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:59 pm

I see that C-FRAX was stretching its wings today. https://www.flightradar24.com/WJA8961/2236c9e5
Any idea why they are flying one of the MAX's?

Dominion301

Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:19 pm

YYZORD wrote:

I can't see either of those. DTW offers nothing of any substance that YYC-MSP doesn't already offer and for YYC-DTW O&D, there's always the seasonal YQG flight.

Whiteguy

Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:36 pm

airnorth wrote:
I see that C-FRAX was stretching its wings today. https://www.flightradar24.com/WJA8961/2236c9e5
Any idea why they are flying one of the MAX's?

RAX went to YEG for storage while NAX flew to YYC for MTC and storage.

klm617

Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:43 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

I can't see either of those. DTW offers nothing of any substance that YYC-MSP doesn't already offer and for YYC-DTW O&D, there's always the seasonal YQG flight.

But with that same reasoning why did Delta add MSP-ICN when those connections could be had over SEA and DTW . The idea of joint ventures is to expand connection opportunities over the entire network. Being YQG has a YYC speaks to the fact that a DTW YYC could be vary viable. So DTW-YYC and YVR should be givens as Delta over flies DTW to both YYZ and YUL
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

marktci

Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:49 pm

WS7M8 wrote:
It all goes back to feeding the hub. The more passengers Delta can get transiting through SEA, the better off they will be. As Victoria is a prosperous city and a big gateway to Vancouver Island tourism, I was surprised they could not make it work with a regional jet. Not too many cities that sized in that part of North America that do not have significant air links to multiple airline hubs in both Canada and the USA. I am not a seasoned YYJ traveler but a quick perusal of their departure and arrival boards this past week reveals a mix of Air Canada and WestJet mainline and turboprop flights to Vancouver, Kelowna, Edmonton, Calgary, and Toronto. Alaska Airlines does SEA YYJ. I seem to recall United Express used to go there from SFO but that was dropped. Did they ever have LAX service. I guess the Canadian airlines have figured out that it is best to route their passengers through their hubs.

As far as I know, no one has tried LAX-YYJ. There was a SLC-YYJ on Delta circa 2006 (not sure how long it lasted). But SFO on United and SEA on Delta are now gone, leaving us with SEA on Alaska as YYJ's only regular US service. I think at one point, WS even did LAS twice weekly on a year round basis.

alo2yyz

Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:19 pm

marktci wrote:
WS7M8 wrote:

As far as I know, no one has tried LAX-YYJ. There was a SLC-YYJ on Delta circa 2006 (not sure how long it lasted). But SFO on United and SEA on Delta are now gone, leaving us with SEA on Alaska as YYJ's only regular US service. I think at one point, WS even did LAS twice weekly on a year round basis.

I am hardly an expert, but in my (limited/anecdotal) experience, people in the US just don't know about YYJ/Vancouver Island. Spent 10 days there this summer and literally *no one* I know in the States understood where I was or why it would be appealing for vacation without an explanation. They all think Vancouver is on Vancouver Island in some nebulous rainy place between Chicago and Alaska.

The comically small CBSA post (and lack of Nexus self-serve kiosks) at YYJ is also telling.

The report linked to below indicates of the 4,430,000 overnight visitors to Vancouver Island in 2014, only 725,000 (16%) were American. Of that 16% that were American, 7% were from WA State. The top 5 origins for visitors were BC, Washington State, Alberta, Australia, and Ontario (in that order).

In 2016 (same report), about 570,000 people came by cruise ship. I wonder how many of the Americans came by cruise en route to Alaska? Roughly 10x as many visitors came by BC ferry than through YYJ.
https://www.destinationbc.ca/content/up ... e_2017.pdf

This 2008 report is also instructive (albeit a decade old)
https://www.tourismvi.ca/wp-content/upl ... Report.pdf
66% of US visitors came from Alaska, Montana, Idaho, Oregon, California, or WA State (aka places with good SEA/Alaska Air connections, no?)
59% of all visitors came by BC ferry, 9% by ferry from WA State, and 29% by commercial air.

Airlinerdude

Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:58 pm

marktci wrote:
WS7M8 wrote:

United has said they’d likely come back with service to DEN when the DEN airport expansion is complete. I presume that means UA Express, not mainline.

Dominion301

Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:17 pm

klm617 wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

But with that same reasoning why did Delta add MSP-ICN when those connections could be had over SEA and DTW . The idea of joint ventures is to expand connection opportunities over the entire network. Being YQG has a YYC speaks to the fact that a DTW YYC could be vary viable. So DTW-YYC and YVR should be givens as Delta over flies DTW to both YYZ and YUL

The MSP-ICN O&D numbers would be way higher than YYC-DTW and comparing transcon to transpac is not exactly apples to apples. If O&D to Detroit out of Calgary were so high, they'd fly to YQG year-round. I've been puzzled though since the first DH4s showed up at YYZ as to why WS have never launched 2-3x daily YQG-YYZ.

DTW-YVR seasonally is plausible to meet up with cruise ships.

WS7M8
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:48 pm

Dominion301 wrote:

The MSP-ICN O&D numbers would be way higher than YYC-DTW and comparing transcon to transpac is not exactly apples to apples. If O&D to Detroit out of Calgary were so high, they'd fly to YQG year-round. I've been puzzled though since the first DH4s showed up at YYZ as to why WS have never launched 2-3x daily YQG-YYZ.

I too have been keeping a keen eye on WestJet & WestJet Encore ops in Ontario. I also was of a similar thought process, that YQG (and several other markets) would be launched within 2-3 years of Encore inaugurating ops out of YYZ (summer 2014). Indeed, the former CEO of Encore, who was well-known in the Calgary business community, not to mention Canada-wide for all the Chamber of Commerce outreach he did, is a Windsor native. Gotta think that if anyone can convince WestJet to start YQG-YYZ (and become the Windsor-boy-made-good), it would have been him. And if that is not enough, YQG-YYC is a seasonal route (April - October), so they are shutting down the station every year in the fall, and reopening it in the spring. Almost have to think it would be cheaper to have Encore flying in from YYZ say 2x / day to keep it open year round.

That being said, the necessity of WestJet Link the last two years or so changed my mind. WestJet is finding out the hard way that there are a lot of regional routes in this country that a Q400 is simply too much airplane. They couldn't make Sudbury work out of YYZ (dropped), and have retrenched on a certain amount of YUL and YHZ Encore flying. In Western Canada, they are using WestJet Link / Pacific Coastal to back fill certain routes and experiment with others. But out of YYZ they have nothing similar. Since Encore reached Toronto, the only routes they have had success on are the obvious / too-big-to-miss destinations:

YXU (now 3 daily frequencies)
YQT (trimmed to 3 from 4 daily frequencies)
YQB (3 flights / day)
BOS (3 flights / day - unchanged since launch)
YUL / YOW (hand-me-downs from mainline service, frequency varies depending on weekday or weekend)
BNA / MYR (popular tourists destinations....I can't entirely determine the rhythm of BNA service although it is occasionally a 737 in the busier times of year, MYR was 3x weekly last year)
YFC / YQM, which really stretch a Q400's carrying capabilities.

Interestingly, as far as I can tell, YXU, BOS, BNA, and YFC are the only true "new" WestJet YYZ flights that have been added with Encore. The other destinations are simply mainline hand-me-downs.

I believe that when WestJet can find the right partner to launch WestJet Link regional service in Central and Eastern Canada with either a Saab 340 or a DHC-8 Classic, they'll do it. Until then, they are stuck in a holding pattern, with plenty of markets they'd like to be in, but not the right airplane to serve it with. I'd put Windsor in there, along with a return to Sudbury, possibly North Bay, Timmins, Sault Ste Marie, Kingston, and just for grins Sherbrooke and Mt Tremblant in La Belle Province plus perhaps a few US destinations (PHL? IAD or BWI? PIT? RDU? CMH? CVG? CLE?).

WS7M8
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:51 pm

YYZORD wrote:
Also any idea if DL will make YVR-JFK year round after the cancellation of YVR-JFK by CX and AC being the sole provider of YVR-NYC flights through EWR? The WS/DL JV hopefully should make this route a very profitable year round route and should help WS with their network.

This one I am really, really, really hoping for. It would be a great addition to the WS / DL combined network, especially with CX dropping out. Being a WestJet fan, I'd rather see it on WS metal, although with the JV it really shouldn't matter. Gotta think between JFK international connections, YVR-NYC business or tourism, plus cruise traffic, the volume exists. If either WestJet or Delta is going to try this route, logically it would start in the springtime. It is something that I could easily see being initially seasonal (April - October) but then made year round when they see how the loads are.

Cubsrule

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:13 pm

WS7M8 wrote:
I believe that when WestJet can find the right partner to launch WestJet Link regional service in Central and Eastern Canada with either a Saab 340 or a DHC-8 Classic, they'll do it. Until then, they are stuck in a holding pattern, with plenty of markets they'd like to be in, but not the right airplane to serve it with. I'd put Windsor in there, along with a return to Sudbury, possibly North Bay, Timmins, Sault Ste Marie, Kingston, and just for grins Sherbrooke and Mt Tremblant in La Belle Province plus perhaps a few US destinations (PHL? IAD or BWI? PIT? RDU? CMH? CVG? CLE?).

Frequent BNA-YYZ traveler here. To me, facilities seem like an impediment to additiontal transborder expansion on props, whether it's Encore or Link. The Encore flights to the States use the stands tucked behind the AC hangar (gate A6), which are cramped and always congested with DL and AA regional flights.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

KlimaBXsst

Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:46 pm

Would the Private Equity owners of WestJet with their growing Transatlantic business be interested in seeking any JV investments in some of the smaller surviving European Charter airlines?
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

WS7M8
Topic Author

Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:31 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
Frequent BNA-YYZ traveler here. To me, facilities seem like an impediment to additiontal transborder expansion on props, whether it's Encore or Link. The Encore flights to the States use the stands tucked behind the AC hangar (gate A6), which are cramped and always congested with DL and AA regional flights.

You nailed it. The crowded and occasionally sub-par conditions of YYZ T3 is perhaps the biggest impediment to WestJet growth. Well, that and a lack of widebodies. I know that area you are referring to and transit frequently through there. It gets packed - and the facilities are definitely showing their age.. But seriously, I would be really really curious to know how many flights their network planners would schedule out of Toronto if Terminal 3 wasn't so capacity constrained. Last I checked (a couple years ago), they were at ~120 flights / day out of YYZ, but I believe they've plateaued because of frustration with how gate space is assigned and have put growth in a holding pattern. It is a shame, really. If I was the CEO of WestJet, I would be taking a really hard look at the Air Transat YYZ schedule, and be doing everything in my powers to add flights at those times, as presumably when the TS-Air Canada merger goes ahead, Transat will be moving to T1.

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Would the Private Equity owners of WestJet with their growing Transatlantic business be interested in seeking any JV investments in some of the smaller surviving European Charter airlines?

That I don't forsee. Their biggest obstacle is getting the transborder JV with Delta approved, which supposedly is imminent. Once that is done, I project them to try to join the expanded DL-AF/KLM & Virgin Atlantic JV, to increase their European reach / connections. Then I"m guessing they'll try to leverage their Delta friendship with something similar to the Pacific Rim, likely with Korean. They'll probably selectively add codeshare partners around the world, filling in gaps in their network. I'm curious as heck as to what Onex will do with WestJet, but I'm guessing their end game is grow WS to sell it in 6-10 years, and the European charter airlines isn't really the market they are focused on. WestJet is representing themselves as a full-service network carrier now.

YYZORD

Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:52 am

Well DL already serves that route seasonal daily during the summer so I would assume its staying on DL instead of WS serving the route, just the JV will increase the route to year round daily with the WS codeshare on the current DL JFK-YVR flight.

WS7M8 wrote:
YYZORD wrote:

This one I am really, really, really hoping for. It would be a great addition to the WS / DL combined network, especially with CX dropping out. Being a WestJet fan, I'd rather see it on WS metal, although with the JV it really shouldn't matter. Gotta think between JFK international connections, YVR-NYC business or tourism, plus cruise traffic, the volume exists. If either WestJet or Delta is going to try this route, logically it would start in the springtime. It is something that I could easily see being initially seasonal (April - October) but then made year round when they see how the loads are.

hollywoodcory

Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:09 pm

http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2019-10-03 ... n-our-home

WestJet has announced that it's first flagship lounge will open at YYC in late summer 2020.

WS7M8
Topic Author

Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:51 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2019-10-03-WestJets-flagship-lounge-in-Calgary-a-home-within-our-home

WestJet has announced that it's first flagship lounge will open at YYC in late summer 2020.

Nice development. As a YYC-based frequent traveler on WS, I wish they had simply taken over the Chinook Plaza Premium Lounge, which is at the base of the 'A' Terminal, and spruced it up to their specifications. Plaza Premium definitely has a better location, although I do get how WestJet is trying to spread out their operation between Terminal A (including the regional gates), B, and the international terminal + transborder.

Most of WestJet's domestic flights occur out of the 'A' Terminal, so for a Canadian business traveler, it will be a detour to reach. However if you are connecting thru YYC before going on to LGW, the stopover at the lounge is on your way. Over the next few years I expect WestJet to gradually spread out their operation to include the side of the 'B' Terminal that faces the A Terminal where the bulk of their operation is, plus more international flights, so perhaps this location will become a natural center point of their ops, vs right now it seems to be in an awkward spot.

I seem to recall reading a press release a year or so ago that said WestJet was planning on building 9 (!) lounges, one in domestic, transborder, and international in YYC, YYZ, and YVR.

AC853

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:48 pm

Curious to know if Westjet has painted any of their fleet in the new livery other than the new build 737 Max and 787 aircraft.

Whiteguy

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:23 pm

AC853 wrote:
Curious to know if Westjet has painted any of their fleet in the new livery other than the new build 737 Max and 787 aircraft.

No other aircraft have been painted yet....

But 17 B738s now have the 2x2 J seating.

WS7M8
Topic Author

Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:20 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
AC853 wrote:

Excellent question. Strangely I was wondering the same thing in YYC earlier this week as I waited for a regional flight..

The WestJet inflight magazine shows all the airplanes (787s, 767s, Max 8s, -800s, -700s, -600s, Q400s, Saab 340s) in the new paint scheme.

As the 767s are going away next year I don't think they'll ever see the new livery.

Are you sure all the Max 8s are in the new scheme? I seem to recall the first few were delivered in the old colours. This video showing their first Max 8 published by WestJet backs it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqymVsZHWeQ

Perhaps with the downtime, the Max 8s have all been repainted?

Isn't there a -700 out there in the new scheme? If not, probably because their fleet has been stretched really thin ever since the Max groundings.

Equally surprising is that there isn't a turboprop in the new scheme. Although WestJet's Q400 deliveries are finished, the last few would have been after the logo change, so that was a missed opportunity. The oldest Q400s in the Encore fleet are six years old (2013 deliveries) so perhaps when they go in for heavier checks as they age, they'll be the first to be repainted.

Finally, if memory serves me correctly, the WestJet Link Saab 340 contract happened during the new scheme announcement timeframe. At least one of the Pacific Coastal machines is running around in a generic livery, so perhaps that will be the first one to see the new WS scheme.

cylw

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:03 am

WS7M8 wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
AC853 wrote:

Excellent question. Strangely I was wondering the same thing in YYC earlier this week as I waited for a regional flight..

The WestJet inflight magazine shows all the airplanes (787s, 767s, Max 8s, -800s, -700s, -600s, Q400s, Saab 340s) in the new paint scheme.

As the 767s are going away next year I don't think they'll ever see the new livery.

Are you sure all the Max 8s are in the new scheme? I seem to recall the first few were delivered in the old colours. This video showing their first Max 8 published by WestJet backs it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqymVsZHWeQ

Perhaps with the downtime, the Max 8s have all been repainted?

Isn't there a -700 out there in the new scheme? If not, probably because their fleet has been stretched really thin ever since the Max groundings.

Equally surprising is that there isn't a turboprop in the new scheme. Although WestJet's Q400 deliveries are finished, the last few would have been after the logo change, so that was a missed opportunity. The oldest Q400s in the Encore fleet are six years old (2013 deliveries) so perhaps when they go in for heavier checks as they age, they'll be the first to be repainted.

Finally, if memory serves me correctly, the WestJet Link Saab 340 contract happened during the new scheme announcement timeframe. At least one of the Pacific Coastal machines is running around in a generic livery, so perhaps that will be the first one to see the new WS scheme.

I don’t believe any of the MAX have been repainted. The new livery started with 308. 7 MAXs and 3 787s should have the new paint.

BML87

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:14 am

So why not have them painted while they're sitting around?

cylw

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:11 am

BML87 wrote:
So why not have them painted while they're sitting around?

Despite being the old livery the paint is brand new. I believe the plan is to do the new livery when the aircraft are due for a paint job.

BML87

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:57 am

The Edmonton and Winnipeg to Gatwick routes have been removed from the schedule for next summer.

WS7M8
Topic Author

Tue Oct 15, 2019 11:21 am

BML87 wrote:
The Edmonton and Winnipeg to Gatwick routes have been removed from the schedule for next summer.

You are more of a network nerd than me!

My 2 cents says that WS will focus LGW widebody service around YYZ, YYC, and YVR, and that it will be all 787.

LGW YHZ will remain, as a 737, hopefully Max 8.

What the WS 767s are doing next summer is anyone's guess. I think they probably are finding more profitable flying for them out of YYC and YYZ, likely to BCN-type markets (high volume tourist places), new to the WS network, such as (pick your favorite) between FCO, AMS, MUC, MAD, LIS, MAN, etc....

whywhyzee

Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:36 pm

WS7M8 wrote:
BML87 wrote:

You are more of a network nerd than me!

My 2 cents says that WS will focus LGW widebody service around YYZ, YYC, and YVR, and that it will be all 787.

LGW YHZ will remain, as a 737, hopefully Max 8.

What the WS 767s are doing next summer is anyone's guess. I think they probably are finding more profitable flying for them out of YYC and YYZ, likely to BCN-type markets (high volume tourist places), new to the WS network, such as (pick your favorite) between FCO, AMS, MUC, MAD, LIS, MAN, etc....

I agree with you, makes sense if they want to build their brand image as an alternative to AC to have all lie flat TATL flying, or at very least to their core London market from the hubs.

I'd also look to move BCN onto the 789, and launch a YYZ-CDG or YYZ-AMS. BCN for the sake of a consistent TATL product, CDG to tap into a strong market that is growing rapidly, and AMS due to its huge decrease in capacity YoY due to the loss of 9W, it's a massive market that should be seeing exceptionally high loads moving forward.

Skywatcher

Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:20 pm

I have a question for any of you WestJet experts.

I recently spoke to an Encore FA and she told me there is "no seniority for Encore flight attendants". I thought that was unlikely but I'm not an expert.

Does Encore make employee promotions/decisions based on seniority or not? Also, how easy is it (or not) to move up to WestJet mainline from Encore?

whywhyzee

Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:07 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
I have a question for any of you WestJet experts.

I recently spoke to an Encore FA and she told me there is "no seniority for Encore flight attendants". I thought that was unlikely but I'm not an expert.

Does Encore make employee promotions/decisions based on seniority or not? Also, how easy is it (or not) to move up to WestJet mainline from Encore?

Pilots move up based on a flow program, which is predicated on seniority as far as I am aware (of course, I imagine other things such as performance/position) likely factor in. I cannot comment on the FAs.

BML87

Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:19 am

WestJet will be announcing a new 787 route out of Calgary this week. What do you think it will be?

767333ER

Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:56 am

Whiteguy wrote:
AC853 wrote:

I’m curious as to what the ultimate plan is with those J seats. Will the eventually be sold as J?
Been on: 732 733 734 73G 738 752 763 A319 A320 A321 CRJ CR7 CRA/CR9 E145 E175 E190 F28 MD-82 MD-83 C172R C172S P2006T PA-28-180

2 ears for spatial hearing, 2 eyes for depth perception, 2 ears for balance... How did Boeing think 1 sensor was good enough?!

cirrusdragoon

Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:59 am

BML87 wrote:
WestJet will be announcing a new 787 route out of Calgary this week. What do you think it will be?

source?

hollywoodcory

Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:34 am

WS has updated its 787 schedule for S20,
YVR-LGW is now a 789 daily next summer, as expected.

Whiteguy

Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:21 pm

767333ER wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
AC853 wrote:

I’m curious as to what the ultimate plan is with those J seats. Will the eventually be sold as J?

Yes, once all aircraft are configured.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos