Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dominion301

Re: The WestJet Thread

Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:42 pm

YYCFlier wrote:
North3270 wrote:
It shouldn't be ahead of YYZ,YUL or YVR!

I think it will be all 4 hubs. YOW has no overseas flights now that LHR is suspended. As I like to remind people on the WS thread, YUL is not a WS hub. Closing Montreal to international flights would have zero impact on WS. But massive impact to everyone else of course.

LHR is actually still operational until 06 April and then (at this point) resumes on May 1. Like I said, it’ll depend on how “overseas” is defined. If it excludes sun flying, then yeah probably YOW, YEG and YQB are temporarily blocked. YHZ and YYT haven’t had overseas this winter, YWG no longer has LGW, while the only other “overseas” airport in summer is YXY...not counting cargo from the likes of YHM.

Tenbru73

Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:51 am

My guess...
YVR, YYC, YYZ, YUL will be open for international flights.

Sun charters flights, outside of big 4 airports, will be cancelled after +8 days from gov announcement (so everyone aware of flight cancellations before they leave).

All transborder flights continue at US preclearance airports.
This halt goes to May, 2020.

hollywoodcory

Sun Mar 15, 2020 9:10 pm

WS updated its schedule but its long-haul flights remain unchanged. Only minor tweaks to domestic / transborder occurred.

Looking at the loads for the 3 787 flights to Europe today. YYC / YYZ to LGW appears to be 60-70% full, but CDG looks like it will have less than 100 people on it. Inbound flight from France tomorrow looks to be a full flight, probably people trying to get out of Europe.

whywhycee

Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:08 am

Looks like they're now looking at a 60% international and 40% domestic capacity cut due to the virus downturn.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/busines ... ronavirus/

Whiteguy

Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:06 am

[twoid][/twoid]
hollywoodcory wrote:
WS updated its schedule but its long-haul flights remain unchanged. Only minor tweaks to domestic / transborder occurred.

Looking at the loads for the 3 787 flights to Europe today. YYC / YYZ to LGW appears to be 60-70% full, but CDG looks like it will have less than 100 people on it. Inbound flight from France tomorrow looks to be a full flight, probably people trying to get out of Europe.

Majority of the flights returning to Canada will be quite full, out bound is a different story. More will be announced in the coming days, not looking good.

whywhycee

Tue Mar 17, 2020 3:48 am

Official. All transborder and international flights by WestJet will be suspended for a 30 day period effecting March 22nd. Domestic capacity will be cut by 50% as well. Sad day and my heart goes out to our entire industry.

https://blog.westjet.com/statement-on-o ... e:facebook

whywhycee

Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:54 am

New domestic schedule during the Int'l/TB suspensions. It's an unprecedented time our industry is in, but we will all rise again!

https://blog.westjet.com/westjet-workin ... ss-canada/

hollywoodcory

Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:41 pm

There was also some minor schedule tweaks in May and June done as well.

Does anyone know if they still are taking delivery of the two other 787s this year? I believe the 5th was suppose to be delivered late this month, and 6th in May?

Also hearing the 767s will be retired now instead of later this year as planned?

cumulushumilis

Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:27 pm

https://youtu.be/LUZtW1XXV2s

Video Link to the announcement

WestJet today announced that 6,900 WestJetters will be leaving the organization, with 90 per cent of those leaving voluntarily. The airline had approximately 14,000 employees before this announcement.

“Today, 6,900 WestJetters are receiving notices confirming early retirements, early outs and both voluntary and involuntary leaves,” said Ed Sims, WestJet President and CEO. “This is devastating news for all WestJetters. The fact that we avoided a potentially worse outcome is testament to the spirit and selfless attitude demonstrated by our people, who have enabled WestJet to continue operating with a collective remaining workforce of 7,100.”

hollywoodcory

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:03 pm

WestJet's 5th 787 is registered as C-GYRS. Was spotted at CHS on a flight test

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-Km40khwRV/

DL717

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:04 pm

cumulushumilis wrote:

WestJet today announced that 6,900 WestJetters will be leaving the organization, with 90 per cent of those leaving voluntarily. The airline had approximately 14,000 employees before this announcement.

“Today, 6,900 WestJetters are receiving notices confirming early retirements, early outs and both voluntary and involuntary leaves,” said Ed Sims, WestJet President and CEO. “This is devastating news for all WestJetters. The fact that we avoided a potentially worse outcome is testament to the spirit and selfless attitude demonstrated by our people, who have enabled WestJet to continue operating with a collective remaining workforce of 7,100.”

Jesus. Half the airline.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

hiflyeras

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:14 pm

I think all airlines have the same fate to look forward to. It will likely take years for them to regain the size they were just a month ago. The Great Depression of 2020.

jimbo737

Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:51 pm

Anyone who thinks this isn’t the fate of every airline operating in the world is whistling past the grave yard.

There isn’t a private sector airline out there that, from a practical perspective, has the cash reserves to withstand anything more than about 6 weeks of this without draconian cuts.

No airline can operate with basically no cash reserves after blowing through the piggy bank.

ACDC8

Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:21 pm

cumulushumilis wrote:

90% are leaving voluntarily? Thats pretty impressive.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

hollywoodcory

Sun Mar 29, 2020 7:17 am

WestJet updated its long haul schedule tonight.

Both FCO and BCN have delayed until June. Also looks like YHZ-MAN got completely removed.

hollywoodcory

Sun Mar 29, 2020 4:59 pm

International / Transborder schedule now fully suspended until May 5.

YYC-FCO delayed to June 4 and YYZ-BCN now resumes June 5.

All frequencies and equipment types are unchanged.

hollywoodcory

Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:42 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
There was also some minor schedule tweaks in May and June done as well.

Does anyone know if they still are taking delivery of the two other 787s this year? I believe the 5th was suppose to be delivered late this month, and 6th in May?

Also hearing the 767s will be retired now instead of later this year as planned?

Looks like I have my answer. WS 5th 787 tail 906 C-GYRS departed CHS for YYZ today. Will probably be hanging out in Toronto for a while.

sixtyseven

Mon Apr 06, 2020 4:57 pm

Any truth to the rumour that 50 737s are being placed into long term storage? Long term meaning for all intents and purposes, retired?

Heard the same for the 767. Removed as a position for pilots to bid on.

If this is the case how will they avoid pilot layoffs?
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

whywhyzee

Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:36 pm

sixtyseven wrote:
Any truth to the rumour that 50 737s are being placed into long term storage? Long term meaning for all intents and purposes, retired?

The 767s are retired, or will be. That was always in the plans, even pre-COVID-19. Also consider the Max situation. There is a good chance when things return to 100% capacity, or close to it, they will be back, meaning there likely will be some retirements. It will take time to return to a full flying program, meaning time for more Max aircraft to arrive, I wouldn't be surprised to see 50 737NGs never return. It's not like they will shrink by 50 frames however.

To answer your final question, there will be pilot layoffs, it's inevitable. The goal is to minimize layoffs not prevent at this point. That is across the board.

Whiteguy

Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:44 pm

sixtyseven wrote:

Nothing about the 50 aircraft although it could just like every airline right now, and the aircraft could be put into longer term storage. The 767s are done and like you said, removed from the bid. If you knew that you know that the latest bid is a reduction bid with layoffs coming. No numbers as of yet, lots of information not being shared.

sixtyseven

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:01 pm

Thanks. I had heard about the reduced pay/blocking- I thought they were doing a block sharing to avoid layoffs short to mid term. I was wondering how they’d do that with them possibly parking that many airframes. Reduced blocks can only take you so far.

Thanks for the info. Good luck to all.

Whiteguy

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:42 pm

sixtyseven wrote:
Thanks. I had heard about the reduced pay/blocking- I thought they were doing a block sharing to avoid layoffs short to mid term. I was wondering how they’d do that with them possibly parking that many airframes. Reduced blocks can only take you so far.

Yeah, the reduced block MOA was only until Apr 30th. As you said it can only go so far. Hopefully we can get some form of mitigation to reduce the numbers laid off but it is inevitable.

sixtyseven

Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:44 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
sixtyseven wrote:

Yeah, the reduced block MOA was only until Apr 30th. As you said it can only go so far. Hopefully we can get some form of mitigation to reduce the numbers laid off but it is inevitable.

Terrible. Just brutal this.

hollywoodcory

Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:41 pm

In a recent schedule update, the 767s were completely removed from the schedule after the summer season. All sun destinations operated by a 767 this past winter (CUN / MBJ / PUJ ) have been replaced by a 7M8.

Also WS appears to have axed a ton if not a vast majority of Transborder flights from June 1 until further notice.

dinot

Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:57 pm

sixtyseven wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
sixtyseven wrote:

Terrible. Just brutal this.

If you're in the company and getting emails, you'll know how low pax numbers are. LoA has/is coming for most of us.

hollywoodcory

Mon Apr 06, 2020 9:28 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
In a recent schedule update, the 767s were completely removed from the schedule after the summer season. All sun destinations operated by a 767 this past winter (CUN / MBJ / PUJ ) have been replaced by a 7M8.

Also WS appears to have axed a ton if not a vast majority of Transborder flights from June 1 until further notice.

Disregard this. Must have been a weird glitch as they restored the schedules.

longhauler

Fri Apr 17, 2020 2:57 am

I recently read on a different site, that just before the Onex purchase, Westjet owned 90% of their fleet. Today, that number is now ZERO. All has been sold to leasing companies and leased back. This is very disturbing as that 90% number was achieved through care and discipline. Where did the proceeds go? I’m sure in tough times, it was a handy nest egg.

It almost appears as if Onex is starting to “Carl Icahn” Westjet.

Is this true, as it was just a rumour, but sort of quasi possible?
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

sixtyseven

Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:36 am

longhauler wrote:
I recently read on a different site, that just before the Onex purchase, Westjet owned 90% of their fleet. Today, that number is now ZERO. All has been sold to leasing companies and leased back. This is very disturbing as that 90% number was achieved through care and discipline. Where did the proceeds go? I’m sure in tough times, it was a handy nest egg.

Look into who owns the leasing company and see, perhaps, if Onex has any stake in that enterprise.

As you said it’s just rumour. But one that has certainly gotten the attention of some acquaintances of mine over there.

Fuling

Tue Apr 21, 2020 1:46 am

rtav wrote:

This photo was taken by a Perth spotter today (Brenden Scott), no one over here can work out what aircraft this is or where its headed.
Maybe some bright minds here can work it out!
It was reportedly flying over Perth today at 1300AWST flying from West to East (Eastbound).
It has a very close resemblance to a West Jet 787.

Over on the Australian Aviation Thread, this photo came up of what seems to be a WestJet B787-9 flying across Perth recently. Can anyone here confirm if it was indeed a WestJet aircraft?

ramprat320

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:22 am

I’m hearing that there is great concern amongst employees that the new ownership is using the Covid19 situation as the added leverage and excuse needed to force some major changes. The “Swoopification” of WestJet?

Whiteguy

Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:57 am

longhauler wrote:

Not sure the truth behind the rumor but, as of Sept 30th, 2019, 23 700s, 14 800s, 1 MAX8, 3 789s and 2 Q400s were leased. The B789s were sold and leased through BBAM prior to delivery, ONEX has 1/3 stake in BBAM.

Whiteguy

Tue Apr 21, 2020 6:01 am

Fuling wrote:
rtav wrote:

This photo was taken by a Perth spotter today (Brenden Scott), no one over here can work out what aircraft this is or where its headed.
Maybe some bright minds here can work it out!
It was reportedly flying over Perth today at 1300AWST flying from West to East (Eastbound).
It has a very close resemblance to a West Jet 787.

Over on the Australian Aviation Thread, this photo came up of what seems to be a WestJet B787-9 flying across Perth recently. Can anyone here confirm if it was indeed a WestJet aircraft?

The B789s in service have only been operating between YYC and YYZ.

eta unknown

Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:58 pm

Can anybody confirm the 1 or 2 787's in storage (Toronto?) are actually still there? The above picture was supposedly shot around Sunday 13:00 PER standard time with the aircraft heading east- so presumably it came from Africa or the Middle East. The transponder was also off. There are alos no reported sightings of the aircraft afterwards so indeed a mystery.

Whiteguy

Tue Apr 21, 2020 3:59 pm

eta unknown wrote:
Can anybody confirm the 1 or 2 787's in storage (Toronto?) are actually still there? The above picture was supposedly shot around Sunday 13:00 PER standard time with the aircraft heading east- so presumably it came from Africa or the Middle East. The transponder was also off. There are alos no reported sightings of the aircraft afterwards so indeed a mystery.

None of the 787s are actually in storage, they are rotated through the schedule every few days. The only exception is tail 906, C-GRYS, it was delivered a few weeks ago and is in service entry MTC in YYZ. None of the 787s have operated flights outside of Canada since end of March.

hollywoodcory

Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:34 pm

https://blog.westjet.com/westjet-update ... gh-june-4/

4000 Domestic flights removed between May 5-June 4. Only running 80 daily departures. Hearing just a fleet of 10 737s / 10 Q400s and 1 787 a few times a week. They appear to be revising the schedule one month at time, perhaps to not overburden the call centre's with rebooking / cancellations.

In addition to all international/transborder routes being suspended the following domestic routes are also suspended for that period:

YVR-YCD
YVR-YQQ
YVR-YQR
YVR-YXE
YVR-YWG
YVR-YXJ
YVR-YXC
YVR-YOW
YVR-YUL
YLW-YYJ
YYC-YXS
YYC-YOW
YYC-YUL
YYC-YXU
YYC-YHZ
YEG-YQQ
YEG-YYJ
YEG-YLW
YEG-YQU
YEG-YZF
YEG-YXE
YEG-YQR
YEG-YOW
YEG-YHZ
YWG-YOW
YWG-YQR
YWG-YHZ
YYZ-YYJ
YYZ-YEG
YYZ-YQR
YYZ-YXE

Whiteguy

Thu Apr 23, 2020 3:40 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
https://blog.westjet.com/westjet-updates-domestic-flight-schedule-from-may-5-through-june-4/

4000 Domestic flights removed between May 5-June 4. Only running 80 daily departures. Hearing just a fleet of 10 737s / 10 Q400s and 1 787 a few times a week. They appear to be revising the schedule one month at time, perhaps to not overburden the call centre's with rebooking / cancellations.

In addition to all international/transborder routes being suspended the following domestic routes are also suspended for that period:

YVR-YCD
YVR-YQQ
YVR-YQR
YVR-YXE
YVR-YWG
YVR-YXJ
YVR-YXC
YVR-YOW
YVR-YUL
YLW-YYJ
YYC-YXS
YYC-YOW
YYC-YUL
YYC-YXU
YYC-YHZ
YEG-YQQ
YEG-YYJ
YEG-YLW
YEG-YQU
YEG-YZF
YEG-YXE
YEG-YQR
YEG-YOW
YEG-YHZ
YWG-YOW
YWG-YQR
YWG-YHZ
YYZ-YYJ
YYZ-YEG
YYZ-YQR
YYZ-YXE

Fleet will have 17 jets, 737 16/787 1, and 22 Q400s. All the 787s have been flying the YYC - YYZ schedule, tail 906 operated its first flight today. It’s hoped to start cargo flights with the 787s soon as well.

multimark

Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:46 pm

cumulushumilis wrote:

I wonder how many of those volunteers are original Westjetters? Whatever made WS special, that "employees care" attitude they used to tout in their ads, has largely been crushed out of their organization. They're just like any other airline now.

hollywoodcory

Thu Apr 23, 2020 9:17 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
https://blog.westjet.com/westjet-updates-domestic-flight-schedule-from-may-5-through-june-4/

YVR-YCD
YVR-YQQ
YVR-YQR
YVR-YXE
YVR-YWG
YVR-YXJ
YVR-YXC
YVR-YOW
YVR-YUL
YLW-YYJ
YYC-YXS
YYC-YOW
YYC-YUL
YYC-YXU
YYC-YHZ
YEG-YQQ
YEG-YYJ
YEG-YLW
YEG-YQU
YEG-YZF
YEG-YXE
YEG-YQR
YEG-YOW
YEG-YHZ
YWG-YOW
YWG-YQR
YWG-YHZ
YYZ-YYJ
YYZ-YEG
YYZ-YQR
YYZ-YXE

Fleet will have 17 jets, 737 16/787 1, and 22 Q400s. All the 787s have been flying the YYC - YYZ schedule, tail 906 operated its first flight today. It’s hoped to start cargo flights with the 787s soon as well.

Is the 787 still flying once daily? I see it a few times a week on the schedule. Crazy to see YYZ-YYC down to just 3x daily though.

And do you think the international flights will even resume at all this summer? I'm surprised that they are still planning to launch FCO.

dmanonice

Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:34 pm

There is 1 daily 787 flying YYC-YYZ-YYC, as mentioned the 5 787 frames are being rotated through to operate every few days.
Mike

Whiteguy

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:43 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

YVR-YCD
YVR-YQQ
YVR-YQR
YVR-YXE
YVR-YWG
YVR-YXJ
YVR-YXC
YVR-YOW
YVR-YUL
YLW-YYJ
YYC-YXS
YYC-YOW
YYC-YUL
YYC-YXU
YYC-YHZ
YEG-YQQ
YEG-YYJ
YEG-YLW
YEG-YQU
YEG-YZF
YEG-YXE
YEG-YQR
YEG-YOW
YEG-YHZ
YWG-YOW
YWG-YQR
YWG-YHZ
YYZ-YYJ
YYZ-YEG
YYZ-YQR
YYZ-YXE

Is the 787 still flying once daily? I see it a few times a week on the schedule. Crazy to see YYZ-YYC down to just 3x daily though.

And do you think the international flights will even resume at all this summer? I'm surprised that they are still planning to launch FCO.

For now yes but in May the 787 will go to twice a week....who knows after that. 1700 pilots are gone after Jun 1st!!!

yzfElite

Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:49 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:

Crazy to see YYZ-YYC down to just 3x daily though.

Given that AC are down to 3x YYZ-YVR, I'm surprised WS is able to run more than 1/day YYC-YYZ and probably only are to allow the few connections they need to.

yegbey01

Fri Apr 24, 2020 4:58 am

^ Cargo and connections. WS cancelled YEG-YYZ, so passengers have to come from somewhere.

Jayce

Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:33 am

Whiteguy wrote:
For now yes but in May the 787 will go to twice a week....who knows after that. 1700 pilots are gone after Jun 1st!!!

I wonder if they’ll actually go through with the second round of layoffs? From what I’ve heard, it’ll be very costly for WestJet.
"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

whywhyzee

Fri Apr 24, 2020 2:33 pm

multimark wrote:
cumulushumilis wrote:

I wonder how many of those volunteers are original Westjetters? Whatever made WS special, that "employees care" attitude they used to tout in their ads, has largely been crushed out of their organization. They're just like any other airline now.

From the pilot list, there were actually a number of very senior people volunteer out, I wouldn't be so quick to cast the stone.

hollywoodcory

Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:51 pm

WS must be starting cargo only flights as 2 789s are currently operating YYC-DUB under flight #s: WS9926 and WS9920.

Whiteguy

Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:14 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
WS must be starting cargo only flights as 2 789s are currently operating YYC-DUB under flight #s: WS9926 and WS9920.

They are, cargo charters to ATL and YYZ. Probably more to come, WS now has authorization to operate to South America, Asia and the Middle East.

hollywoodcory

Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:32 am

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

They are, cargo charters to ATL and YYZ. Probably more to come, WS now has authorization to operate to South America, Asia and the Middle East.

Will they be headed straight to ATL / YYZ from DUB in return or stopping in YYC first? It was nice to see WS metal over the Atlantic again.

hollywoodcory

Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:41 pm

Never mind, I see they both flew DUB-YYZ-ATL-YYC.

Crazy ATL got to see the WS 787 before even YVR did.

Whiteguy

Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:53 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Never mind, I see they both flew DUB-YYZ-ATL-YYC.

Crazy ATL got to see the WS 787 before even YVR did.

Yup, sorry just saw your message.

hollywoodcory

Fri May 01, 2020 9:33 pm

WS was able to save 1000 pilot jobs through ALPA agreements
https://blog.westjet.com/westjet-saves- ... greements/

Also their domestic schedule has been further reduced with additional route suspensions through June 4.
https://blog.westjet.com/westjet-makes- ... gh-june-4/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos