Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

hollywoodcory

Re: The WestJet Thread

Wed May 06, 2020 8:18 pm

https://calgaryherald.com/business/west ... 5ef619baa/

WestJet's CEO Ed Sims was interviewed and gave a glimpse into the company's future plans.

-Will be smaller than was before (but this is the case with all airlines)
-Possible deferrals or cancellations of future 787 deliveries.
-Doesn't expect air travel demand to recover until at least the fourth quarter, in time for Christmas.
-Mentions they want to resume flying to it's 4 "original" European destinations (LGW, CDG, DUB & FCO) as "soon as its safe to do so and demand returns". Doesn't mention anything on GLA or BCN, but was likely only speaking on 787 routes.

Also seeing how they've started to remove inventory for transborder and international flights in June, its safe to say the suspension is being extended into July.

I think they will still take tail 907, currently in final assembly. either later this year or next year. But the 4 expected next year, will either be reduced or cancelled.
LGW will be the first long-haul to resume, followed by CDG, then DUB. FCO I think won't launch until next year at the earliest. GLA / BCN will be shelved for now, just like its planned MAN launch.

Curious if they will still announce its winter 787 plans like they did last year?

hollywoodcory

Sun May 10, 2020 6:54 pm

Revised June schedule has been published:
https://blog.westjet.com/westjet-update ... ly-4-2020/

The article only mentions the Transborder / International routes are suspended until June 25, but only the following is currently available for reservation in the GDS from June 26-July 4, and only available in full fare W / Y class:

YYC-LAX
YYC-ATL
YVR-LAX
YYZ-LGA
YYZ-MCO

The rest have been removed until July 4. Still amazed FCO is still planned to be launched this summer.

kavok

Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:41 pm

Any updates on the proposed Delta/WS Joint Venture? It seems like that has been under review for years now.

ahj2000

Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:04 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:

The article only mentions the Transborder / International routes are suspended until June 25, but only the following is currently available for reservation in the GDS from June 26-July 4, and only available in full fare W / Y class:

YYC-LAX
YYC-ATL
YVR-LAX
YYZ-LGA
YYZ-MCO

The rest have been removed until July 4. Still amazed FCO is still planned to be launched this summer.

Wow. Nothing to LAS or South Florida. That's a shock.
Probably best to avoid those places until the 4th is over, anyway.

hollywoodcory

Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:42 pm

ahj2000 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

YYC-LAX
YYC-ATL
YVR-LAX
YYZ-LGA
YYZ-MCO

YYC-LAS resumes June 28. Only flights to Florida I see currently are the MCO ones.

LAXintl

Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:42 am

US-Canada border closure looks to be extended by a month till July 21st.

Takes wind out of any air service for non-essential travel

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-heal ... SKBN23G301

Whiteguy

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:30 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

YYC-LAX
YYC-ATL
YVR-LAX
YYZ-LGA
YYZ-MCO

YYC-LAS resumes June 28. Only flights to Florida I see currently are the MCO ones.

There are only a few random YYZ-MCO turns, 3 flights all of July.

hollywoodcory

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:56 am

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
ahj2000 wrote:

July schedule hasn't been published yet so I'm going off what's currently scheduled. They even still have flights to LGW/CDG/DUB/FCO and BCN for sale from July 5.

I'm curious if the LAX/ATL & LGA flights will still happen later this month with the border restrictions remaining in place.

Whiteguy

Thu Jun 11, 2020 5:22 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

July schedule hasn't been published yet so I'm going off what's currently scheduled. They even still have flights to LGW/CDG/DUB/FCO and BCN for sale from July 5.

I'm curious if the LAX/ATL & LGA flights will still happen later this month with the border restrictions remaining in place.

Yeah I know, should be updated in the next week I believe. The only 787 flying for July is YYZ turns, as they’ve been doing. If any Europe flying happens it’ll probably only be LGW and CDG coming back this year. DUB and FCO won’t happen, same with BCN. The 767s are done as well.

hollywoodcory

Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:14 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:

Yeah I know, should be updated in the next week I believe. The only 787 flying for July is YYZ turns, as they’ve been doing. If any Europe flying happens it’ll probably only be LGW and CDG coming back this year. DUB and FCO won’t happen, same with BCN. The 767s are done as well.

Sounds like July will be like June but with limited Transborder/International flying.

Whiteguy

Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:27 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Sounds like July will be like June but with limited Transborder/International flying.

Schedule will be updated this weekend I believe.

hollywoodcory

Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:00 am

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:

Looks like some of the changes are already there. Seeing all of Europe has now been removed until August.

As for Transborder, I see so far:
YYC-LAX 1x daily
YYC-LAS 4x weekly
YYC-ATL 1x daily
YVR-LAX 4x weekly
YYZ-LGA - 1x daily
YYZ-MCO - 1x weekly

Not sure about Mexico as the original schedule is still showing for that.

Whiteguy

Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:35 am

hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Looks like some of the changes are already there. Seeing all of Europe has now been removed until August.

YYC-LAX 1x daily
YYC-LAS 4x weekly
YYC-ATL 1x daily
YVR-LAX 4x weekly
YYZ-LGA - 1x daily
YYZ-MCO - 1x weekly

Only Mexico I’ve seen is CUN out of YYZ I think, maybe YYC too.

hollywoodcory

Sun Jun 14, 2020 4:44 am

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:

YYC-LAX 1x daily
YYC-LAS 4x weekly
YYC-ATL 1x daily
YVR-LAX 4x weekly
YYZ-LGA - 1x daily
YYZ-MCO - 1x weekly

Only Mexico I’ve seen is CUN out of YYZ I think, maybe YYC too.

Looks like just YYZ-CUN 1x weekly on Saturday? I also found YVR-LAS too. Might have to wait until they put out the release with full details.

hollywoodcory

Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:06 pm

Full schedule details are now on WestJet's website:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-in ... c-schedule
22 previously suspended domestic routes resume in July.

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-in ... l-schedule
This says June 29, but they still flights scheduled from June 26. Only addition to the list above is YYZ-LAS. Interesting how all three of WS hubs will have flights to Las Vegas.

Whiteguy

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:47 am

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:

I’ll correct this....

FCO and BCN have both been removed for the rest of the summer. DUB is still in the schedule for now after Aug 4th.

hollywoodcory

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:19 am

Whiteguy wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

I’ll correct this....

FCO and BCN have both been removed for the rest of the summer. DUB is still in the schedule for now after Aug 4th.

I imagine only LGW and maybe CDG will come back if they resume Europe flying this year.

I take the Winter 787 schedule won’t be coming for awhile.

gkirk

Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:52 am

Glasgow looks like it resumes in August

ShamrockBoi330

Wed Jun 17, 2020 3:56 pm

So I assume the US flights are no longer resuming due to continued ban on non-essential travel with the US?

Or would they be happy to resume flying again with assumed low LFs but potentially cargo which is not affected?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4986310

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/border ... -1.5613854

Whiteguy

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:55 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:

I’ll correct this....

I imagine only LGW and maybe CDG will come back if they resume Europe flying this year.

Schedules right now are going to be month to month, the winter schedule usually comes out sometime in July. The 787s will be LGW of course and probably OGG a couple times a week, that may depend on the MAX situation which sounds like it should be back for the winter sked. There’s a chance you could see the 787s on the 767 routes operated last winter like CUN or PUJ but I’d be surprised. DUB this summer could come back, it’s always done well as a route. Wait and see I guess.

Whiteguy

Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:57 pm

ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
So I assume the US flights are no longer resuming due to continued ban on non-essential travel with the US?

Or would they be happy to resume flying again with assumed low LFs but potentially cargo which is not affected?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4986310

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/border ... -1.5613854

The border restrictions have the biggest affect on land crossing more then air. The flights planned to the US will go ahead as planned I believe.

hollywoodcory

Wed Jun 17, 2020 5:51 pm

gkirk wrote:
Glasgow looks like it resumes in August

Don't count on it. As far as I believe there are still restrictions on where international flights can arrive in Canada and YHZ isn't one of them.

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:

I’ll correct this....

Schedules right now are going to be month to month, the winter schedule usually comes out sometime in July. The 787s will be LGW of course and probably OGG a couple times a week, that may depend on the MAX situation which sounds like it should be back for the winter sked. There’s a chance you could see the 787s on the 767 routes operated last winter like CUN or PUJ but I’d be surprised. DUB this summer could come back, it’s always done well as a route. Wait and see I guess.

In a non-COVID world, I would have assumed CDG could have also gone year-round too. I guess time will tell.

hollywoodcory

Wed Jun 24, 2020 6:26 pm

http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2020-06-24 ... its-future

WestJet announced organization changes including the outsourcing of all domestic operations except at it's four largest airports (YYC, YVR, YEG & YYZ).

9252fly

Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:08 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2020-06-24-WestJet-announces-organizational-changes-to-secure-its-future

WestJet announced organization changes including the outsourcing of all domestic operations except at it's four largest airports (YYC, YVR, YEG & YYZ).

Would the outsourcing of domestic operations to other service providers also include the possibility of WS regional carrier Encore bidding on the work?

Whiteguy

Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:42 pm

9252fly wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
http://westjet.mediaroom.com/2020-06-24-WestJet-announces-organizational-changes-to-secure-its-future

Would the outsourcing of domestic operations to other service providers also include the possibility of WS regional carrier Encore bidding on the work?

Doubt it, Encore is operated under the Westjet umbrella. Some staff at smaller stations have been switched to “Encore Stations” already, sounds like these may all be contracted out as well.

9252fly

Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:51 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
9252fly wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Doubt it, Encore is operated under the Westjet umbrella. Some staff at smaller stations have been switched to “Encore Stations” already, sounds like these may all be contracted out as well.

If that's the case, what options do their effected employees have as they are not unionized? I don't know if WS recognizes service time and would allow effected employees to bump into the remaining stations.

cirrusdragoon

Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:35 pm

9252fly wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
9252fly wrote:

If that's the case, what options do their effected employees have as they are not unionized? I don't know if WS recognizes service time and would allow effected employees to bump into the remaining stations.

They have no options, they are redundant. The only option for these redundant employees is the possibility of getting hired by the future airport contractor westjet will hire to do the work.

Thenoflyzone

Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:07 am

WS isn’t letting a good crisis go to waste it seems. This kind of stuff can easily be brushed under the covid rug.

qf789

Thu Jun 25, 2020 3:09 am

Could we please just discuss the topic and keep personal comments out of the discussion. If you wish to query a deletion please email [email protected] for an answer. Furthermore do not suggest another user should be banned for stating their opinion, they are entitled to their opinion so discuss it in an appropriate manner.

cirrusdragoon

Thu Jun 25, 2020 7:49 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:
WS isn’t letting a good crisis go to waste it seems. This kind of stuff can easily be brushed under the covid rug.

It all boils down to liquidity and reshaping the business to match what they can afford for there to be an actual Westjet in the future. Everyone is having to lean out everywhere in the world.

dinot

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:13 am

Thenoflyzone wrote:

That's not why they're doing that. Like everyone else, they're trying to survive. Without knowing the inside scoop, you can't make those assumptions. We're being taken care of far better than even Air Canada's own.

777luver

Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:56 am

dinot wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

That's not why they're doing that. Like everyone else, they're trying to survive. Without knowing the inside scoop, you can't make those assumptions. We're being taken care of far better than even Air Canada's own.

Like a true WestJetter, have any solid sources to back that “other airline” fact up?

jmt18325

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:00 am

dinot wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

If someone else can't possibly understand another airlines internal workings, how can you possibly make such a determination about Air Canada?

ac190

Fri Jun 26, 2020 4:25 am

dinot wrote:
Thenoflyzone wrote:

Don't know what department you're in, but I'm in the one with 2,000+ people going out the door and the company has done basically nothing to help. Pick a more disorganized leadership team... I'll wait.

cirrusdragoon

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:58 am

Business is business, WestJet had maintained a lot of domestic airport ground handling staff compared with many airlines and overall the amount of in-sourcing there has been higher than the normal for their type of operation, they are just heading to the normal for offering a commodity service.

If they can't be cost efficient at doing the service internally compared with what is available in the market, then it is best out-sourced.

Obviously they think they can still be competitive in YYZ, YYC, YVR and YEG in using internal services, but I'm not surprised about the other Canadian bases as the volume is too low (especially with a reduced post COVID network) to have a cost efficient organisation. Not really any different than their US and International operations that have been out-sourced since the beginning.

They had to shrink the company based on the future projection of how big the airline will need to be for the near future.

hollywoodcory

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:14 pm

Today WestJet resumes operations outside of Canada with flights to LAX & ATL. On Sunday, flights resume to LAS.

LightChop2Chop

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:25 pm

Will be interesting to see what the coming winter sun flying looks like. Do the less than dailys (like RTB) return? Will the CUNs of their network get the 78s?

yzfElite

Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:47 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Today WestJet resumes operations outside of Canada with flights to LAX & ATL. On Sunday, flights resume to LAS.

I'm surprised they didn't push these back with the government announcing the border closure extension. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I see WS as Canada's leisure airline with most of their business coming from vacations/family visits/discretionary travel which with the border closed must be near zero. AC has very limited service, but I can see managing a few flights with necessary business travel. I can imagine anyone trying to fly transborder routes right now is likely losing money with almost every flight.

ShamrockBoi330

Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:47 pm

yzfElite wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

I'm surprised they didn't push these back with the government announcing the border closure extension. Perhaps I'm wrong, but I see WS as Canada's leisure airline with most of their business coming from vacations/family visits/discretionary travel which with the border closed must be near zero. AC has very limited service, but I can see managing a few flights with necessary business travel. I can imagine anyone trying to fly transborder routes right now is likely losing money with almost every flight.

this has been puzzling me too!
And not just Westjet, but anyone who has announced US Canada flights resuming.
where there is no restriction flying Canada to US, the same cannot be said for flying US to Canada, with non-essential travel still barred.
So any Canadian leisure travelers flying to US still must quarantine for 14 days upon return home.
are they really expecting worthwhile LFs?

hollywoodcory

Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:05 pm

yzfElite wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

The border restrictions only applies to the land border and not being enforced on air travelers.

The US is still allowing Canadians to travel there for whatever reason. Canada currently restricts all foreigners (including Americans) from non-essential travel. Some of these flights do have decent advance bookings. Not sure the LF on today's flights though.

They did adjust their US plans though. Originally they were going to resume YYZ-LGA today and YYZ-CUN tomorrow. Both of those routes have been pushed back until July 5 & 11th.

rampbro

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:43 pm

Speaking of LF, looks like WS are unblocking the middle seats:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/westje ... -1.5628838

Skywatcher

Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:44 pm

To which carrier will the WestJet domestic flying be contracted out to? Other than AC there aren't really that many others available. From what I can see the Northern carriers such as Air Inuit/Creebec/Calm Air/Canadian North etc. are as busy as ever right now (extra freight?).

Another question-domestic flying is being restricted to YYZ/YYC/YEG/YVR. Does that mean the only remaining domestic flights will be solely between these 4 stations only or from these 4 stations to multiple destinations?

dr1980

Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:19 pm

It’s not the actual flying that’s being contracted out.

Whiteguy

Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:15 am

Skywatcher wrote:
To which carrier will the WestJet domestic flying be contracted out to? Other than AC there aren't really that many others available. From what I can see the Northern carriers such as Air Inuit/Creebec/Calm Air/Canadian North etc. are as busy as ever right now (extra freight?).

Another question-domestic flying is being restricted to YYZ/YYC/YEG/YVR. Does that mean the only remaining domestic flights will be solely between these 4 stations only or from these 4 stations to multiple destinations?

It’s not the flying that’s being contracted out. It’s the work of customer service agents at stations Westjet flies to other then the 4 listed. Also the ramp employees in YYC and YYZ.

cirrusdragoon

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:50 am

yzfElite wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Correction, Air Transat is Canada’s leisure airline. Westjet is considered Canada’s second national airline, its main business is derived from primarily domestic air service as that is where they are currently well focused according to their route map. However prior to covid 19 , Westjet was priming for more international growth. You cannot describe Westjet as simply leisure orientated when they have focused and continue to ,over the years ,on the Toronto -Montreal Ottawa triangle and the Toronto -Laguardia route.

Its pending Department of Transportation approval for its trans border joint venture with Delta is also a clue that Westjet is trying to further strengthen its position in the usa-canada market, therefore not just a leisure airline. It may have started as small domestic discount airline, but has or is morphing into a full service carrier aimed at attracting a wide range of business .

yzfElite

Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:11 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
yzfElite wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Correction, Air Transat is Canada’s leisure airline. Westjet is considered Canada’s second national airline, its main business is derived from primarily domestic air service as that is where they are currently well focused according to their route map. However prior to covid 19 , Westjet was priming for more international growth. You cannot describe Westjet as simply leisure orientated when they have focused and continue to ,over the years ,on the Toronto -Montreal Ottawa triangle and the Toronto -Laguardia route.

Its pending Department of Transportation approval for its trans border joint venture with Delta is also a clue that Westjet is trying to further strengthen its position in the usa-canada market, therefore not just a leisure airline. It may have started as small domestic discount airline, but has or is morphing into a full service carrier aimed at attracting a wide range of business .

I consider Rouge and Westjet to both be leisure carriers. I understand your points and WS has been trying hard to break into the AC lock on business travel, particularly transborder and now Europe, but the reality is that they are a long way behind AC in business travel and, without doing the research, I would assert potentially behind or neck and neck with several US carriers in terms of business travellers Canada-US. The recent CEOs and new owners of WS want it to move away from the original model, but they were still finding their way beyond leisure travellers when covid hit and my original point is that it surprised me they were brining those routes back so quickly given the amount of capital that would be required to subsidize flights that have yet to build themselves beyond leisure traffic which is presently close to non-existent transborder.

Dominion301

Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:08 pm

Here's a bit of inside scoop: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/u ... 48461.html.

Unifor has now weighed in. Looks like a lot of ground staff were on the verge of unionizing:

"It is disgraceful and downright un-Canadian that WestJet would punish the workers who made this historic Western Canadian start-up so successful. This is pandemic capitalism at its worst," said Jerry Dias, Unifor National President. "I find it disturbing that WestJet is using the pandemic to justify its outsourcing scheme as so many of the workers who will lose their jobs were in the process of signing union cards with Unifor."

WestJet's plans were announced by its parent company, Onex Corporation, one of the largest private equity firms in Canada. At the time Onex acquired WestJet in 2019, Unifor warned workers and the public of its reputation as a predatory takeover specialist with a long history of devastating cost-cutting and restructuring.

"Up until the time Onex's takeover, WestJet employees were considered owners," said Kellie Scanlan, Unifor's Director of Organizing. "But after this week's announcement, it's clear that at WestJet, management does not want workers to have a voice."

Unifor has a proven record of securing collective bargaining language that specifically protects airline workers from outsourcing schemes. While Unifor has been working hard to organize workers at WestJet it has faced an aggressive management-led campaign to undermine card signing efforts. In recent weeks, Unifor organizers have noted a substantial increase in the number of WestJet workers reaching out to sign union cards.

"This outsourcing scheme at WestJet shows what happens when workers do not have a union to protect them," added Dias. "We will continue to fight for frontline WestJet workers and stand with them during this difficult time."

There's one way to stop unionization. You have no airline without pilots, F/As and dispatchers, so stop unionizing in those areas is all but impossible. On the flip side, ground staff are expendable to 3rd parties. Interesting how the 4 biggest stations stay in-house. I guess they did the math and when you get north of 50 flights a day at a station, you're not saving anything by contracting out. I'm surprised that you save anything with 20-30 flights a day like at YWG, YLW, YHZ, YOW and YUL,

cirrusdragoon

Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:37 pm

yzfElite wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:
yzfElite wrote:

I consider Rouge and Westjet to both be leisure carriers. I understand your points and WS has been trying hard to break into the AC lock on business travel, particularly transborder and now Europe, but the reality is that they are a long way behind AC in business travel and, without doing the research, I would assert potentially behind or neck and neck with several US carriers in terms of business travellers Canada-US. The recent CEOs and new owners of WS want it to move away from the original model, but they were still finding their way beyond leisure travellers when covid hit and my original point is that it surprised me they were brining those routes back so quickly given the amount of capital that would be required to subsidize flights that have yet to build themselves beyond leisure traffic which is presently close to non-existent transborder.

Just to add some light , leisure carriers are airlines that focus on the transportation of tourists.

Canada......Air Canada Rouge, Sunwing, Air Transat
UK......TUI-Thomson, Thomas Cook, and in the past Monarch, Brittania, etc.
France.....Corsair, XL Airways,.
Germany.....Condor
Switzerland......Edelweiss
Australia.......Jetstar
Netherlands.....TUI Fly
Turkey.....Corendon Airlines
Israel......Arkia, Sun D'Or
etc

Westjet does not focus on tourists. During the border shut down , Westjet continues to fly nationally, funnelling domestic travel, a key performer of revenue for the company . Notice how the three holiday airlines Transat Sunwing and Rouge currently are grounded whereas the national carriers Air Canada and Westjet continue to service the domestic market.

In the past, the term “charter airline” was widely used to describe these airlines as most holiday flights were then not sold directly by the airline to the passengers but were included in charter packages offered by tour operators. Nowadays, however, many holiday flights are operated as scheduled, albeit often seasonal services.

leisure carriers achieve low costs per seat mile in focusing on direct point-to-point flights using homogenous fleets of medium to large aircraft with high-density seating.

Westjet uses hub and spokes. Leisure carriers offer very low frequency to sun destinations whereas a hybrid airline like Westjet currently is, offers least daily frequencies on most routes.

Finally, Westjet has a frequent flyer program , a leisure airline would not have this, example sunwing , tui. Westjet’s first owned business lounge will be opening this summer in Calgary, something a leisure airline does not possess.

By true definition , Westjet is not defined as a Leisure airline but more as a hybrid airline ( somewhere between a low cost and full service airline) until they fully complete their transition to full service carrier.

The plan for transitioning the carrier began long before Onex purchased the company. This road path was cleared and approved by the previous board pf directors during the years of then ceo Greg Saretsky. Onex is a cash infusion with the current management executing the continuation of the business transformation plan.

Dominion301

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:11 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
yzfElite wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:

Just to add some light , leisure carriers are airlines that focus on the transportation of tourists.

Canada......Air Canada Rouge, Sunwing, Air Transat
UK......TUI-Thomson, Thomas Cook, and in the past Monarch, Brittania, etc.
France.....Corsair, XL Airways,.
Germany.....Condor
Switzerland......Edelweiss
Australia.......Jetstar
Netherlands.....TUI Fly
Turkey.....Corendon Airlines
Israel......Arkia, Sun D'Or
etc

Westjet does not focus on tourists. During the border shut down , Westjet continues to fly nationally, funnelling domestic travel, a key performer of revenue for the company . Notice how the three holiday airlines Transat Sunwing and Rouge currently are grounded whereas the national carriers Air Canada and Westjet continue to service the domestic market.

In the past, the term “charter airline” was widely used to describe these airlines as most holiday flights were then not sold directly by the airline to the passengers but were included in charter packages offered by tour operators. Nowadays, however, many holiday flights are operated as scheduled, albeit often seasonal services.

leisure carriers achieve low costs per seat mile in focusing on direct point-to-point flights using homogenous fleets of medium to large aircraft with high-density seating.

Westjet uses hub and spokes. Leisure carriers offer very low frequency to sun destinations whereas a hybrid airline like Westjet currently is, offers least daily frequencies on most routes.

Finally, Westjet has a frequent flyer program , a leisure airline would not have this, example sunwing , tui. Westjet’s first owned business lounge will be opening this summer in Calgary, something a leisure airline does not possess.

By true definition , Westjet is not defined as a Leisure airline but more as a hybrid airline ( somewhere between a low cost and full service airline) until they fully complete their transition to full service carrier.

The plan for transitioning the carrier began long before Onex purchased the company. This road path was cleared and approved by the previous board pf directors during the years of then ceo Greg Saretsky. Onex is a cash infusion with the current management executing the continuation of the business transformation plan.

You can scratch Thomas Cook off that list. Remember, they went bye, bye a few months ago and Condor regained their independence.

cirrusdragoon

Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:14 pm

I was just naming examples of past and present. Yes

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos