Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

rampbro

Re: The WestJet Thread

Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:23 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:

The plan for transitioning the carrier began long before Onex purchased the company. This road path was cleared and approved by the previous board pf directors during the years of then ceo Greg Saretsky. Onex is a cash infusion with the current management executing the continuation of the business transformation plan.

This. I used WS as my primary carrier for business travel from ~2014 until I left my travelling job last year. In the market I'm in, WS far outstrips AC for quality of frequency - what I mean by this is I absolutely hate the 15-20 minute Dash8 flight to YVR. It didn't matter to me that there was an AC departure from YYJ every hour, when 1/3 trips back into YYJ the last Dash from YVR would sit on the ramp until 1 am waiting for late cnx.
I also can't bear to fly UA, so the JV with Delta (my other carrier of choice) worked well for me.
WS have struggled on the soft business product (3rd party lounges in particular), but the FF program is great, especially when I had Gold status. Lots of free, unexpected upgrades to the front of the plane, good prices on purchased upgrades, and very good customer service compared to AC, In terms of hard product, eurobiz is obviously less desirable than true j, but that never seemed to matter when I just wanted to get home on time.

Dominion301

Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:29 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
I was just naming examples of past and present. Yes

In that case, we need to throw Wardair into the mix. :spin:

yzfElite

Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:11 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
yzfElite wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:

Correction, Air Transat is Canada’s leisure airline. Westjet is considered Canada’s second national airline, its main business is derived from primarily domestic air service as that is where they are currently well focused according to their route map. However prior to covid 19 , Westjet was priming for more international growth. You cannot describe Westjet as simply leisure orientated when they have focused and continue to ,over the years ,on the Toronto -Montreal Ottawa triangle and the Toronto -Laguardia route.

Its pending Department of Transportation approval for its trans border joint venture with Delta is also a clue that Westjet is trying to further strengthen its position in the usa-canada market, therefore not just a leisure airline. It may have started as small domestic discount airline, but has or is morphing into a full service carrier aimed at attracting a wide range of business .

I consider Rouge and Westjet to both be leisure carriers. I understand your points and WS has been trying hard to break into the AC lock on business travel, particularly transborder and now Europe, but the reality is that they are a long way behind AC in business travel and, without doing the research, I would assert potentially behind or neck and neck with several US carriers in terms of business travellers Canada-US. The recent CEOs and new owners of WS want it to move away from the original model, but they were still finding their way beyond leisure travellers when covid hit and my original point is that it surprised me they were brining those routes back so quickly given the amount of capital that would be required to subsidize flights that have yet to build themselves beyond leisure traffic which is presently close to non-existent transborder.

Just to add some light , leisure carriers are airlines that focus on the transportation of tourists.

Canada......Air Canada Rouge, Sunwing, Air Transat
UK......TUI-Thomson, Thomas Cook, and in the past Monarch, Brittania, etc.
France.....Corsair, XL Airways,.
Germany.....Condor
Switzerland......Edelweiss
Australia.......Jetstar
Netherlands.....TUI Fly
Turkey.....Corendon Airlines
Israel......Arkia, Sun D'Or
etc

Westjet does not focus on tourists. During the border shut down , Westjet continues to fly nationally, funnelling domestic travel, a key performer of revenue for the company . Notice how the three holiday airlines Transat Sunwing and Rouge currently are grounded whereas the national carriers Air Canada and Westjet continue to service the domestic market.

In the past, the term “charter airline” was widely used to describe these airlines as most holiday flights were then not sold directly by the airline to the passengers but were included in charter packages offered by tour operators. Nowadays, however, many holiday flights are operated as scheduled, albeit often seasonal services.

leisure carriers achieve low costs per seat mile in focusing on direct point-to-point flights using homogenous fleets of medium to large aircraft with high-density seating.

Westjet uses hub and spokes. Leisure carriers offer very low frequency to sun destinations whereas a hybrid airline like Westjet currently is, offers least daily frequencies on most routes.

Finally, Westjet has a frequent flyer program , a leisure airline would not have this, example sunwing , tui. Westjet’s first owned business lounge will be opening this summer in Calgary, something a leisure airline does not possess.

By true definition , Westjet is not defined as a Leisure airline but more as a hybrid airline ( somewhere between a low cost and full service airline) until they fully complete their transition to full service carrier.

The plan for transitioning the carrier began long before Onex purchased the company. This road path was cleared and approved by the previous board pf directors during the years of then ceo Greg Saretsky. Onex is a cash infusion with the current management executing the continuation of the business transformation plan.

I understand the points you are making and I stand by my view that it is premature for WS to go back into markets where I view their main clientele to be those making discretionary trips. You don't have to agree with me and I'm providing my viewpoint based on experience/knowledge without detailed evidence so I am also not challenging your viewpoint.

I consider leisure to include travel to see friends/family, etc. which I think WS strongly competes with AC on and probably beats them in many markets. What I stand by is the view that most essential travel and business travel remains with AC, particularly for transborder and Europe. In fact, in some parts of the country, I believe WS is in third place behind Porter in certain markets. Porter has chosen to stay grounded, which I think is probably a strong move. WS probably don't want to lose long-term market share, but I suspect they'll struggle to fill plans on US routes with even more difficulty than AC. If it were me, when the government extended the border restrictions, I would have cancelled more flights. I haven't heard if the 14 day quarantine requirement is being extended after tomorrow, but if it is, combined with the US surge in cases, I can't see there being too many seats sold transborder for at least a month for AC, WS or US carriers.

cirrusdragoon

Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:08 pm

I acknowledge that Air Canada controls 46%of the domestic market share and Westjet controls 34 percent share of the domestic market. That data right there proves it is not just leisure travel driving that percentile. If that were so then their market share in the domestic market would by now would have been much smaller and gobbled up by other carriers. I do not agree that tourists and VFR traffic fuel the majority of bookings .

You discount the fact that Westjet codeshares with Delta on many trans border routes. Key new market Atlanta as a key point for connections on to Deltas vast usa network. Wj analysts have all the numbers and data to warrant them restarting those said routes. I am not an arm chair ceo.

yzfElite

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:04 pm

duplicate
Last edited by yzfElite on Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

yzfElite

Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:05 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
I acknowledge that Air Canada controls 46%of the domestic market share and Westjet controls 34 percent share of the domestic market. That data right there proves it is not just leisure travel driving that percentile. If that were so then their market share in the domestic market would by now would have been much smaller and gobbled up by other carriers. I do not agree that tourists and VFR traffic fuel the majority of bookings .

You discount the fact that Westjet codeshares with Delta on many trans border routes. Key new market Atlanta as a key point for connections on to Deltas vast usa network. Wj analysts have all the numbers and data to warrant them restarting those said routes. I am not an arm chair ceo.

I agree with you, domestically WS have a lot of the share of all types of traffic. My original point is the one you're also making for me above...WS is still making its way into being a player in the US with the new Delta arrangement and trying to open routes. This is costly and takes time, which my point being I'm surprised they so quickly are going back when they don't have an established set of routes to support business traffic which IMO is the only traffic available right now. If we were talking about Vegas/Florida trips for when discretionary gets going again, sure WS has been a player for years. We'll see how it goes, but with quarantine and restrictions continuing, this has to be a money losing proposition. Perhaps we can agree to disagree.

cirrusdragoon

Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:57 pm

yzfElite wrote:
cirrusdragoon wrote:

I agree with you, domestically WS have a lot of the share of all types of traffic. My original point is the one you're also making for me above...WS is still making its way into being a player in the US with the new Delta arrangement and trying to open routes. This is costly and takes time, which my point being I'm surprised they so quickly are going back when they don't have an established set of routes to support business traffic which IMO is the only traffic available right now. If we were talking about Vegas/Florida trips for when discretionary gets going again, sure WS has been a player for years. We'll see how it goes, but with quarantine and restrictions continuing, this has to be a money losing proposition. Perhaps we can agree to disagree.

Let us not lessen Westjet's presence in their trans border business segment, Westjet is an established player to the USA, and continues to grow stronger . This is not the early 2000's where they were truly just getting started https://www.anna.aero/2008/11/28/us-car ... 1-airport/ . Albeit smaller than Air Canada but they do have an established US passenger base, especially since the previous work with AA. They carry a a good portion of traffic to IAH,ATL,LGA, destinations that are business focused. I would even go on to state that LAX is a strong business corridor for Hollywood workers travelling to and from hollywood north, which Westjet serves quite well out of the west. Yes LAS MCO is seen as a tourist destination, but they are also a major conference hosting destinations. I do believe that there is a strong business traffic flow to Las vegas and Orlando for Orlando, Fla., remains the No. 1 meeting spot in the United States, followed by Las Vegas.

Looking at the traffic , 2018, Westjet traffic numbers of passengers travelling across the border were just right under Air Canada’s . The data I looked at was from the US government's database https://www.bts.dot.gov , showing the movement of passengers emplaned from 2018 as an example.

( in the thousands) :
Air Canada 5,239.1
Westjet 4,949.1

I deduce from that the Westjet is indeed doing well trans border and is only poised for further reach. Yes friend I will agree to disagree :)

hollywoodcory

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:44 pm

On the topic of Transborder, it looks like WestJet further adjusted it's plans in July. LAS has been reduced from 8x weekly flights from all of their hubs to just 2x weekly only from YYC.

cirrusdragoon

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:50 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
On the topic of Transborder, it looks like WestJet further adjusted it's plans in July. LAS has been reduced from 8x weekly flights from all of their hubs to just 2x weekly only from YYC.

It is showing for July 5 through August 4 https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-in ... l-schedule

Toronto-Orlando 1x weekly
Toronto-New York (LGA) 6x weekly
Toronto-Las Vegas 2x weekly

Vancouver-Los Angeles 4x weekly
Vancouver-Las Vegas 2x weekly

Calgary-Atlanta 1x daily
Calgary-Los Angeles 4x weekly
Calgary-Las Vegas 4x weekly

hollywoodcory

Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:57 pm

cirrusdragoon wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

It is showing for July 5 through August 4 https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel-in ... l-schedule

Toronto-Orlando 1x weekly
Toronto-New York (LGA) 6x weekly
Toronto-Las Vegas 2x weekly

Vancouver-Los Angeles 4x weekly
Vancouver-Las Vegas 2x weekly

Calgary-Atlanta 1x daily
Calgary-Los Angeles 4x weekly
Calgary-Las Vegas 4x weekly

I double checked what's open for reservation and only YYC-LAS is available after July 5 2x weekly. (On Sunday & Thursdays)
Everything else is still as you have noted above. (YYZ-CUN is still offered from July 11 once weekly too).

hollywoodcory

Tue Jun 30, 2020 10:39 pm

Also 787 #6 (C-GMKS) was delivered today.

hollywoodcory

Sat Jul 11, 2020 5:34 pm

WestJet resumed flying to Mexico and MCO as of today.

Also an FA mentioned to me that they were planning to resume flying to Europe in August? I noticed VS removed the codeshares to LGW for August so unless they are resuming CDG, I suspect it was just wishful thinking on her part.

Whiteguy

Sat Jul 11, 2020 8:31 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:

Also an FA mentioned to me that they were planning to resume flying to Europe in August? I noticed VS removed the codeshares to LGW for August so unless they are resuming CDG, I suspect it was just wishful thinking on her part.

LGW and CDG are scheduled to restart a couple times a week mid August and the 787s are operating 5 days a week YYC-YYZ-YYZ starting at the beginning of Aug. All subject to change of course.

hollywoodcory

Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:19 pm

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

LGW and CDG are scheduled to restart a couple times a week mid August and the 787s are operating 5 days a week YYC-YYZ-YYZ starting at the beginning of Aug. All subject to change of course.

I'm assuming YYZ-LGW and YYC-CDG?

Edit: VS codeshare now shows 3x weekly YYC-LGW from August 20.

Also I see the Transborder schedule is being reduced in August compared to July. Not at all surprising given how bad things are in the States.

Whiteguy

Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:04 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:

Also I see the Transborder schedule is being reduced in August compared to July. Not at all surprising given how bad things are in the States.

No both CDG and LGW are out of YYC, no YYZ flying on the 787 yet. Some transborder flying has been reduced due to loads.

hollywoodcory

Sun Jul 12, 2020 12:14 am

Whiteguy wrote:
hollywoodcory wrote:
Whiteguy wrote:

No both CDG and LGW are out of YYC, no YYZ flying on the 787 yet. Some transborder flying has been reduced due to loads.

I can't imagine the loads have been very good for the US. Not many people are keen on flying there.

So far I see:
YYC-LAX 3x weekly
YYC-ATL 4x weekly
YYC-LAS 2x weekly
YVR-LAX 3x weekly
YYZ-LAX 4x weekly
YYZ-LGA 5x weekly
YYZ-MCO 1x weekly

Only unsure about Mexico/Caribbean flying (if any other than CUN).

hollywoodcory

Sun Jul 12, 2020 4:06 am

Appears like it will be:

YYC-LGW 3x weekly (From Aug 20)
YYC-CDG 2x weekly (From Aug 20)
YYC-LAX 3x weekly
YYC-ATL 4x weekly
YYC-LAS 2x weekly
YYZ-CUN 1x weekly
YYZ-MBJ 1x weekly
YYZ-LGA 5x weekly
YYZ-MCO 1x weekly
YVR-LAX 3x weekly

hollywoodcory

Sun Jul 12, 2020 3:57 pm

Looks like they have also started making schedule changes for S21 now too. YHZ-CDG was re-added and YYZ-BCN is now showing a 789. Obviously with next summer being a long ways off additional changes highly likely.

aviator2000

Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:36 pm

Seems like WestJet will still be flying the B767 again for a short period before being retired:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... perations/
Also confirming S21 BCN B789 service: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-11jul20/
However as already mentioned, in the uncertain times we live in, any changes planned more than one month ahead shouldn’t be taken too seriously.

Whiteguy

Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:10 am

aviator2000 wrote:
Seems like WestJet will still be flying the B767 again for a short period before being retired:
https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... perations/
Also confirming S21 BCN B789 service: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... f-11jul20/
However as already mentioned, in the uncertain times we live in, any changes planned more than one month ahead shouldn’t be taken too seriously.

Nothings in the schedule past Sept 4th has changed. Everything shown was from the original summer schedule. The schedule is being updated one month at a time, the 767s are sold and will not fly again for WS.

hollywoodcory

Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:34 pm

More S21 schedule changes were loaded this weekend.

YYC-CDG is now daily from May 24 (Up from planned 6x weekly this year). I suspect this route will get extended to year round in an upcoming schedule change too.
YYC-FCO schedule extended to October 31/21. Are they exploring this route going year-round/extended season too?
YYC-DEN Increased from 4 to 6x wekly
YYZ-BCN Aside from equipment change to 789 from 763, schedule now goes to October, instead of early Sept like this year.

All of this subject to change of course given the circumstances.

Additionally, looks like WS is further reducing it's Transborder schedule in August:

Will operate only the following until September 4:
YYC-ATL 3x weekly
YYC-LAX 3x weekly

MCO cancelled already, LAS ending August 2, LGA ending August 9, and YVR-LAX Aug 7.

hollywoodcory

Tue Aug 04, 2020 6:46 pm

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.5049653

Westjet is scheduled to resume non-stop flights from Vancouver to Hawaii’s islands as of Sept. 5,

The media is tossing around that WestJet is resuming service to Hawaii next month, but the schedule after September 4 has not been updated yet. I have my doubts about flights actually being resumed. Even if, Hawaii gets rid of the 14 quarantine, travelers would still face the two week house arrest when they come back.

hollywoodcory

Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:49 am

Looks like the modified September and October schedule is coming tomorrow night.

VS codeshare is already showing the updated YYC-LGW schedule.

hollywoodcory

Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:46 pm

Revised September schedule has been loaded.

International:
YYC-LGW 3x wekly
YYC-CDG 2x weekly
YYZ-CUN 1x weekly
YYZ-MBJ 1x weekly
YYZ-KIN 1x weekly from September 5

Transborder:
YYC-ATL 3x weekly
YYC-LAX 3x weekly

Additionally most summer seasonal routes were completely removed for rest of the year. YVR-LGW is still scheduled in October though.

cylw

Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:20 pm

Now the Govt needs to get rid of the blanket 14 day quarantine rule and replace it with testing so people can actually travel out of country.

Whiteguy

Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:27 pm

cylw wrote:
    Now the Govt needs to get rid of the blanket 14 day quarantine rule and replace it with testing so people can actually travel out of country.

Exactly!!!

Dominion301

Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:05 pm

cylw wrote:

New COVID-19 test surcharge? Your statement assumes there’s many people interested in even considering flying out of country again anytime soon. It also assumes other countries are safe to travel to again. Places like France and Spain are spiking again. The USA is nowhere near ready lifting any sort of travel restrictions. As much as I love travelling, I personally have no interest in leaving the country anytime soon.

cylw

Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:15 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
    cylw wrote:

New COVID-19 test surcharge? Your statement assumes there’s many people interested in even considering flying out of country again anytime soon. It also assumes other countries are safe to travel to again. Places like France and Spain are spiking again. The USA is nowhere near ready lifting any sort of travel restrictions. As much as I love travelling, I personally have no interest in leaving the country anytime soon.

At least with an alternate method, those who want to travel would be able to. Right now hardly anyone would with the 14 day rule in place. I would have zero issue travelling to Europe and even the US right now. Even with the numbers spiking, the risk of getting the virus is low with proper safety precautions.

alo2yyz

Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:25 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
    cylw wrote:

There are reasons to travel beyond vacation/wanderlust. e.g., people with aging family members in the USA may want to go see them, but are deterred by the quarantine (esp. if you live in a cracker-box-sized apartment in YYZ/YVR.....people whose business depends on cross-border travel, etc.

There are bound to be more creative ways to 'secure the border' re:covid than the 14 day quarantine. e.g., test upon arrival, quarantine for X days (like 3-7), and then a second test (to make sure the initial border test didn't 'miss' it if you caught covid en route to the border).

hollywoodcory

Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:33 pm

The blanket 14 day quarantine only really works anyways if the arriving passenger lands at their final destination and they can go straight home. If they need to connect onward, they are already mingling with domestic passengers in the terminal, and even sitting among them on a domestic flight. Only the international passenger is legally required to self-isolate. At that point, why bother. At some point, they will need to develop a plan that eases travel restrictions but still protects the general public.

I'm happy to see WS is still pushing ahead with it's planned Europe service resumption this week. They will get the rare opportunity to be the sole carrier on YYC-LON, a route AC has long held claim to. In next month's update, we should know if CDG is planned to go year-round or not. Would seem odd for them to resume it for just 2 months late in the season.

Dominion301

Wed Aug 19, 2020 12:20 am

cylw wrote:
    Dominion301 wrote:
    cylw wrote:

At least with an alternate method, those who want to travel would be able to. Right now hardly anyone would with the 14 day rule in place. I would have zero issue travelling to Europe and even the US right now. Even with the numbers spiking, the risk of getting the virus is low with proper safety precautions.

I heard that the UK is reinstating the 14 day quarantine rule.

TS-IOR

Wed Aug 19, 2020 1:16 am

B767 C-FOGJ was seen at YYC with titles painted over. It's said to be leaving tomorrow AM probably acquired by UPS. Next to go FWAD.

hollywoodcory

Wed Aug 19, 2020 4:24 pm

TS-IOR wrote:
    B767 C-FOGJ was seen at YYC with titles painted over. It's said to be leaving tomorrow AM probably acquired by UPS. Next to go FWAD.

Departed YYC this morning for Lake City, FL.

CFWAD

Wed Aug 19, 2020 8:19 pm

TS-IOR wrote:

This reg has been around since 2002 and always led to a good laugh in OCC. I hope WS puts it on a new 787 and carry the reg thru a few more decades..
    CaVOK
    A300.310.319.320.321.332.333.343.B722.732.733.734.735.736.73G.738.739.742.74M.752.762.763.772.773.779.CR2.CR7.DC9.DC10.DH1.DH3.DH4.E135.E175. E195.MD83

hollywoodcory

Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:19 pm

WestJet resumes Europe ops today with the departure of WS1 and WS10.

Loads look pretty decent with over 200 on LGW and looks like 150-180 on CDG.

hollywoodcory

Fri Aug 28, 2020 1:17 am

Swoop will start flying from YYZ October 25 with service to domestic and international destinations
    https://www.flyswoop.com/news/swoop-tak ... o-pearson/

Doesn't say if this is replacing YHM or if they will serve both.

Also says Swoop is announcing a Winter schedule in September. Curious if WestJet will do so as well, or stick to the month-to-month schedule updates.

Jayce

Fri Aug 28, 2020 7:48 pm

"Trying is the first step towards failure" -Homer Simpson

hollywoodcory

Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:25 pm

In this week's schedule update, YYC-CDG was reduced to just once weekly from September 10, running until October 22. I guess this settles CDG's fate, and it will remain seasonal for now.

No changes to LGW though, remains 3x weekly for September, and still shows pre-COVID October schedule including YVR-LGW from October 5.

Dominion301

Sun Aug 30, 2020 9:46 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:
    In this week's schedule update, YYC-CDG was reduced to just once weekly from September 10, running until October 22. I guess this settles CDG's fate, and it will remain seasonal for now.

No changes to LGW though, remains 3x weekly for September, and still shows pre-COVID October schedule including YVR-LGW from October 5.

I'm skeptical this much will fly to LGW come October given the UK's spiking COVID numbers...and ours likely soon to follow. Europe seems to be entering wave 2 of COVID as evidenced by the large spikes in Spain and France.

hollywoodcory wrote:
    Swoop will start flying from YYZ October 25 with service to domestic and international destinations
    https://www.flyswoop.com/news/swoop-tak ... o-pearson/

Doesn't say if this is replacing YHM or if they will serve both.

Also says Swoop is announcing a Winter schedule in September. Curious if WestJet will do so as well, or stick to the month-to-month schedule updates.

They'll continue to serve YHM as per the press release.

Swoop will continue to serve Hamilton as part of its network.

The question is, will YHM get cutback or keep the status quo? Let's see if this is a shot aimed directly at Flair or if it's primarily to cover some Sunwing Vacations sun flying this winter.

hollywoodcory

Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:22 pm

The 2nd 767 left the fleet today. COGN departed YYC for Lake City, FL.

Dominion301 wrote:
    hollywoodcory wrote:

I'm skeptical this much will fly to LGW come October given the UK's spiking COVID numbers...and ours likely soon to follow. Europe seems to be entering wave 2 of COVID as evidenced by the large spikes in Spain and France.

If they based where they fly on spiking numbers, they would have stopped serving the US again. I think LGW will stick around for now, but only from YYC.

Dominion301

Mon Aug 31, 2020 3:43 pm

hollywoodcory wrote:

Dominion301 wrote:
    hollywoodcory wrote:

If they based where they fly on spiking numbers, they would have stopped serving the US again. I think LGW will stick around for now, but only from YYC.

I agree, I just doubt YVR-LGW returning too...for now.

hollywoodcory

Mon Aug 31, 2020 7:20 pm

Dominion301 wrote:
    hollywoodcory wrote:

Dominion301 wrote:

I agree, I just doubt YVR-LGW returning too...for now.

YVR-LGW will probably be removed when the October schedule is updated. I'm not even sure YYZ-LGW will return for now either.

Going forward, I don't expect much else in the US to be resumed (other than maybe LGA again). Towards November/December some sun destinations may come back with some flying to places like PSP, PHX, FLL. YYC could see limited Mexico runs to places like CUN, PVR or SJD. All Caribbean flying will be YYZ based. Granted they did try US leisure destinations over the summer that didn't work (LAS / MCO) so who knows really.

Lastly, I don't expect anywhere other than WS main hubs to see any international/Transborder flying possibly not even until next summer.

CarbonFibre

Tue Sep 01, 2020 12:36 pm

A post on Facebook suggests they are commencing LHR services from 25th Oct.

Ishrion

Tue Sep 01, 2020 2:04 pm

CarbonFibre wrote:

Applying for double daily slots at LHR: https://mobile.twitter.com/MZulqarnainB ... 6931702784

cirrusdragoon

Tue Sep 01, 2020 6:32 pm

Ishrion wrote:
    CarbonFibre wrote:

Applying for double daily slots at LHR: https://mobile.twitter.com/MZulqarnainB ... 6931702784

Wonderful , hopeful they get them . I much prefer Heathrow for more world connections.

Thenoflyzone

Wed Sep 02, 2020 2:49 pm

The slot hand back deadline at LHR was 31 August 2020, and the fact this news came about Sept 1 leads me to believe these are ad hoc slot approvals. These aren't regular slots, and you need to apply every time for ad hoc slot approvals, before the start of every season, with no guarantee of approval. They also come with their own restrictions.

https://www.acl-uk.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Airportinfolink_LHR_localrule2.pdf

The following conditions may result in the suspension of the allocation of ad hoc slots: adverse operating conditions (e.g. severe weather), special events (e.g. major
    sporting event or state occasion) or temporary loss of airport infrastructure (e.g. a runway closure) that is likely to lead to significant and prolonged disruption or delay. Heathrow’s Airside Director or delegated representative in cooperation with NATS will declare to ACL if such conditions exist. The allocation of ad hoc availability may be suspended and any allocated ad hoc slots may be withdrawn upon reasonable notice to the operator.

Not ideal, but if you want to fly into LHR, you take what you can get. Will be interesting to see what WS does, as they only have 2 months advance notice to try and fill up twice daily LHR flights, in the middle of a pandemic, and with COVID cases on the rise in the UK.

From what I understand, they wont be able to transfer their LGW flights either, or they run the risk of losing those slots, as LGW hasn't yet waived their slot usage guidelines for W20, meaning the 80/20 use it or lose it rule still applies, as far as I know.
    us Air Traffic Controllers have a good record, we haven't left one up there yet !!

Ishrion

Swoop Announces Toronto Expansion

Wed Sep 02, 2020 3:46 pm

Can't seem to find that previous thread. If this is a duplicate, feel free to delete it.

Swoop has announced its first routes out of YYZ: https://www.flyswoop.com/news/swoop-rel ... er-flying/

- Abbotsford 6x weekly
    - Edmonton 6x weekly
    - Kelowna 4x weekly
    - Halifax will 1x daily
    - Las Vegas 4x weekly
    - Orlando 5x weekly
    - Tampa 4x weekly
    - Cancun 5x weekly
    - Montego Bay 5x weekly

Toronto-Pearson operations begin on October 25, 2020. From what it looks like, WestJet already serves all of these routes except YYZ to Abbotsford. Will WestJet cede some of these YYZ routes to Swoop?

dmanonice

Re: Swoop Announces Toronto Expansion

Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:05 pm

For the time being in the more price sensitive market, I would imagine so, but I expect WS to be back on the routes once the market improves, especially MCO/TPA/LAS for the DL connections, at least that is what I infer from the internal (WS) e-mails on the subject.
    Mike

DFF

Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:08 pm

There are no connections over LAS TPA MCO. These are price sensitive markets which Swoop is designed for. WJ knows it’s going to lose $ on these routes. May as well lose a bit less via Swoop - which has a lower CASM

Someone83

Wed Sep 02, 2020 4:32 pm

Does it mean it will basically leave Toronto Hamilton, except for the YHM-YEG route?