fishmeal
Topic Author

UAL 854 Circling Over the Gulf of Mexico

Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:22 am

Just curious: a United 767 bound for Lima from IAH has been circling for about 2 hours just south of Galveston. Any information out there on this flight?

AirKevin

Re: UAL 854 Circling Over the Gulf of Mexico

Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:29 am

According to United's flight status page for this flight, "To get you on your way while our maintenance team services the weather radar, we assigned your flight a new plane that's expected to arrive at the gate shortly. Once we prepare the cabin for departure, we'll board at Gate E7. We appreciate your patience." So I guess the weather radar went out?
Captain Kevin

strfyr51

Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:58 am

AirKevin wrote:
According to United's flight status page for this flight, "To get you on your way while our maintenance team services the weather radar, we assigned your flight a new plane that's expected to arrive at the gate shortly. Once we prepare the cabin for departure, we'll board at Gate E7. We appreciate your patience." So I guess the weather radar went out?

It . happens but the radar can be fixed as there are not a lot of Parts in the system. It all depends on whether the parts are available at IAH.

jetmatt777

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:00 am

Looks like they are swapping airplanes.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

fishmeal
Topic Author

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:08 am

I guess that's the best outcome. Passengers arrive safely, but several hours late. FlightRadar shows UAL 854 now in the landing pattern at IAH (8:06 pm).

Planetalk

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:20 am

Yup, you don't want to try crossing the ÍTCZ without an operational weather radar!

Air France tried it once in Africa, with entirely predictable results https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/144312

Still blows my mind any crew would even consider taking a plane full of passengers the length of Africa without a weather radar.

Canuck600

Mon Jul 29, 2019 3:36 am

They would have done it in the pre weather radar days. Does anybody know what the rate of weather related crashes vs. other causes were in those pre weather radar days?

LaunchDetected

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:42 am

Planetalk wrote:
Yup, you don't want to try crossing the ÍTCZ without an operational weather radar!

Air France tried it once in Africa, with entirely predictable results https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/144312

Still blows my mind any crew would even consider taking a plane full of passengers the length of Africa without a weather radar.

A technician, who was really aware of the weather conditions in West Africa (ex-UTA employee), reported to the crew that taking a plane without weather radar in this season was a No-Go in most of the big airlines. He was ready to ask SAA to borrow a radar but the captain replied that the MEL allowed a departure without it.

The MEL was not even in full compliance with the regulation!
Caravelle lover

DLASFlyer

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:23 am

There are few things United does better than others but their flight status tool with full explanations is awesome.

amtravels

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:32 am

DLASFlyer wrote:
There are few things United does better than others but their flight status tool with full explanations is awesome.

One of the reasons I switched from AA to UA!

strfyr51

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:10 am

amtravels wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:

One of the reasons I switched from AA to UA!

It's really Bad Business to Not be up front with the Passengers. If you're not going for some reason and it's safety? They'd be a FOOL to want to go anyway. Then?
You can invite them to fly one of our other FINE competitors. If that's what floats their boat...

AirKevin

Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:51 pm

DLASFlyer wrote:

That must have been a recent change because I don't remember it being like that before.
Captain Kevin

amtravels

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:28 am

AirKevin wrote:
DLASFlyer wrote:

That must have been a recent change because I don't remember it being like that before.

They’ve been doing it for about 2 years now, I believe. The employees who write up the explanations in the app and send out texts are called “Storytellers.” There may be a BMB episode about it.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos