rjmf22
Topic Author

Missile launcher found in baggage at BWI

Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:41 pm

I don't even know what to say...someone tried to check a missile launched through their checked bags, and well obviously TSA found it. A military man coming home from Kuwait wanted to keep it as a souvenir. Should this be allowed?

https://twitter.com/breakingavnews/stat ... 0615310337
United Airlines

AWACSooner

Re: Missile launcher found in baggage at BWI

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:12 pm

Overreaction...it was INERT and all the firing mechanisms had been removed. We bring back empty canon shells from the desert on deployment all the time and no one bats an eyelash.

cschleic

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:40 pm

AWACSooner wrote:
Overreaction...it was INERT and all the firing mechanisms had been removed. We bring back empty canon shells from the desert on deployment all the time and no one bats an eyelash.

What? Ok, I know I'm not familiar with these types of things. But how would someone working at an airport know that it's non-functional? And seems like there's a significant difference between an empty shell and a rocket launcher. Bigger picture, the article says that military items aren't allowed. I've seen passengers check non-military firearms at a ticket counter, they inform the airline, open the case to let them know what's inside, etc. Did the passenger do any of that in this case?

OA940

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:46 pm

I hate it when I forget my bazookas on the bags
A350/CSeries = bae

ferminbrif

Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:47 pm

AWACSooner wrote:

Well, I’m wondering whether a bunch of inert things like that can be put together at later stage outside the airport…. ??? It sounds like something to be worry about....
:airplane: :alert: :confused:

enilria

Mon Jul 29, 2019 9:48 pm

rjmf22 wrote:
well obviously TSA found it

I strongly disagree with this statement.

ASA

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:00 pm

AWACSooner wrote:

Maybe in your military charters ... but NO, those should not be allowed in civilian flights.

"Hey, I just have some inert rifle parts, nothing to worry about ... and Joe is carrying the other pieces" :roll:

enilria

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:04 pm

TSA even has issues with toys. Good luck with this.

SierraPacific

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:09 pm

Well, Baltimore is a warzone according to our executive branch so it makes sense to travel with it :stirthepot:

(Sarcasm)

MaksFly

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:10 pm

:facepalm:

You guys do know that thousands of guns are on flights daily, right? And if it is checked, who cares.

PLENTY OF REAL, LEGAL, LETHAL WEAPONS already fly in the cargo hold anyway, most just don't know about it and it is in crate.

Inert parts are just metal parts, technically, by ATF it is not even a weapon, just a hunk of metal., and no, you cannot make it work on a whim without fabrication and no, not doable without tools and a machine shop at the airport.

And people really need to understand, you cannot just magically turn it into a functioning weapon... that would defeat the purpose of inert/non-functioning.
For instance, for an assault rifle, you would cut up the receiver. Gun no longer functions unless you fabricate a new receiver, not something you are going to do at an airport or want to spend time in jail.

Btw, how would you guys feel about movie props flying on airplanes?

You do know that is the exact same thing right? Real guns made inoperable.

MaksFly

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:12 pm

enilria wrote:

Stop... just stop.

Weapons are perfectly fine to be transported if declared and comply with regulations... I routinely travel with firearms and there is zero issue.

The item in question is just a scary looking piece of metal that is completely non-functioning.

DarthLobster

Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:57 pm

MaksFly wrote:

You guys do know that thousands of guns are on flights daily, right? And if it is checked, who cares.

PLENTY OF REAL, LEGAL, LETHAL WEAPONS already fly in the cargo hold anyway, most just don't know about it and it is in crate.

Inert parts are just metal parts, technically, by ATF it is not even a weapon, just a hunk of metal., and no, you cannot make it work on a whim without fabrication and no, not doable without tools and a machine shop at the airport.

And people really need to understand, you cannot just magically turn it into a functioning weapon... that would defeat the purpose of inert/non-functioning.
For instance, for an assault rifle, you would cut up the receiver. Gun no longer functions unless you fabricate a new receiver, not something you are going to do at an airport or want to spend time in jail.

“Nothing to see here people, move along! Cows turn themselves inside out all the time...”

grbauc

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:25 pm

ASA wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

Maybe in your military charters ... but NO, those should not be allowed in civilian flights.

"Hey, I just have some inert rifle parts, nothing to worry about ... and Joe is carrying the other pieces" :roll:

Agree with you. 10 people can all have one part of a item. Its was checked so Im wondering How accessible is checked luggage from the plane?

grbauc

Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:26 pm

DarthLobster wrote:
MaksFly wrote:

“Nothing to see here people, move along! Cows turn themselves inside out all the time...”

So Easy to be manipulated with poorly written articles. Haven't we all learned with 24hr Cable News and Internet Poor reporting and the overreaction of the last 8 years.

LDRA

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:38 am

But it was for emotional support

iamlucky13

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:19 am

Here's what TSA says:

Rocket Launcher
Carry-on bags: No
Checked Bags: No

There are some less restrictive categories you could propose it under since it's expended, such as a part of a gun or firearm (allowed in checked baggage with special instructions) or even a shell casing (Allowed in checked baggage / allowed in carry-on with special instructions), but also some more restrictive (Realistic replicas of explosives - not allowed at all).

As far as I know, if the guidelines are unclear, the screener or their supervisor is allowed to make a judgement call. Although expended, assessing the functionality of spent weapons is really not a skill that TSA screeners train on, so I'm not surprised they confiscated it. That said, it looks like just the empty launch tube from the helicopter mount for the AGM-176, which is slightly more sinister than an empty shipping box.

Seabear

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:41 am

enilria wrote:
rjmf22 wrote:
well obviously TSA found it

I strongly disagree with this statement.

Probably packed a nail clipper in the same bag. Just dumb luck that a rocket launcher was found.

Super80Fan

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:44 am

Well, Baltimore is a war zone....
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

jomur

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:46 am

A rocket launcher is useless without the munitions to fire from it... all you can use it as is as a large hammer and probably not very good as even one of them.

Adipocere

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:54 am

jomur wrote:
A rocket launcher is useless without the munitions to fire from it... all you can use it as is as a large hammer and probably not very good as even one of them.

This. The explosives scanner would have picked up the munitions anyways. So not sure what the hubbub is all about..

c933103

Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:14 am

AWACSooner wrote:

I remember there's a Japanese man who's now serving a multi-year sentence at Belarus for trying to fly from Ukraine via Minsk to UAE so as to connect to another flight back to Japan with inert and deactivated gun parts in his checked luggages
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

INFINITI329

Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:33 am

MaksFly wrote:
enilria wrote:

Stop... just stop.

Weapons are perfectly fine to be transported if declared and comply with regulations... I routinely travel with firearms and there is zero issue.

The item in question is just a scary looking piece of metal that is completely non-functioning.

Remember we are in a point in time where if it looks scary it's automatically bad.

RyanairGuru

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:13 am

LDRA wrote:

:rotfl:
Worked Hard, Flew Right

FluidFlow

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:28 am

c933103 wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

I remember there's a Japanese man who's now serving a multi-year sentence at Belarus for trying to fly from Ukraine via Minsk to UAE so as to connect to another flight back to Japan with inert and deactivated gun parts in his checked luggages

Traveling with any parts of any weapon on an international flight will most of the time end in prison. It is like drugs. I bet you can fly with cannabis from SFO direct to LAX no problem. If you fly SFO-SIN-LAX with cannabis you probably end in prison for a long time.
So flying within the US with guns is no problem. Try to do this on any international flight and you are in 99% of the cases in really deep trouble.

c933103

Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:58 am

FluidFlow wrote:
c933103 wrote:
AWACSooner wrote:

Traveling with any parts of any weapon on an international flight will most of the time end in prison. It is like drugs. I bet you can fly with cannabis from SFO direct to LAX no problem. If you fly SFO-SIN-LAX with cannabis you probably end in prison for a long time.
So flying within the US with guns is no problem. Try to do this on any international flight and you are in 99% of the cases in really deep trouble.

1. Well if you do so via Singapore you can even get death penalty
2. Well as said above those are reportedly deactivated parts
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

Polot

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:03 pm

Adipocere wrote:
jomur wrote:

This. The explosives scanner would have picked up the munitions anyways. So not sure what the hubbub is all about..

Just to bring this to it’s logical conclusion, you have no issues with arms smuggling for example as long as they don’t carry the ammunition on the same flight?

If you were a TSA agent, you are saying you would not say something if you detect a rocket launcher in someone’s bag?

FluidFlow

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:09 pm

c933103 wrote:
FluidFlow wrote:
c933103 wrote:

1. Well if you do so via Singapore you can even get death penalty
2. Well as said above those are reportedly deactivated parts

Nr. 2 does not apply in every country. There are different laws and certain countries do not even allow the possession of parts or deactivated parts of weapon(systems). In many countries you need documentation even for parts. That is why you cannot bring them through TSA as you could pass them on to an international traveler and the foreign office is not happy if they have to provide support to a citizen that is detained due to possession of a fire arm or parts of one.

ShanghaiNoon

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:16 pm

LDRA wrote:

I'm dead.

Adipocere

Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:44 pm

Polot wrote:
Adipocere wrote:
jomur wrote:

Just to bring this to it’s logical conclusion, you have no issues with arms smuggling for example as long as they don’t carry the ammunition on the same flight?

If you were a TSA agent, you are saying you would not say something if you detect a rocket launcher in someone’s bag?

I did not comment on the provenance of this material. If this had been reported stolen, contravened some arms trafficking regulation of any other offense - then those laws should apply: possession of stolen goods, arms trafficking regulations etc. If the traveler had all that setup cleanly there was no need to go confiscate his property.

Polot

Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:13 pm

Adipocere wrote:
Polot wrote:
Adipocere wrote:

I did not comment on the provenance of this material. If this had been reported stolen, contravened some arms trafficking regulation of any other offense - then those laws should apply: possession of stolen goods, arms trafficking regulations etc. If the traveler had all that setup cleanly there was no need to go confiscate his property.

I doubt the US military willingly gave him an inert rocket launcher as a souvenir. That is stolen property right there. I also doubt he declared that he had a rocket launcher in his luggage.

There really is no hubbub about this btw. The TSA found something against the regulations and confiscated it. They do that probably thousands of times every day. It only got media attention because the TSA regularly publicizes weird items that it sometimes confiscate. It would have gotten the same attention if it was a jar of human toes.

lightsaber

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:15 pm

ShanghaiNoon wrote:
LDRA wrote:

I'm dead.

The emotional support rocket wins the thread.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

ggflyboy

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:34 pm

This seems like security PR without real substance. The fact that he was not charged with anything regarding possession is telling. If the thing was inert (non-functional) and there were no charges, actual missiles, or othwise hazardous materials involved, it’s far less dangerous than the thousands of firearms and bullets (aka “military weapons”) allowed on aircraft every day. It would be a display piece or aircraft part that could end up on any aircraft through the postal system. The fact that TSA tweeted about it is the cherry on top- not a fan of public shaming of citizens by government agencies just to alarm people watching cable news.

All that said, I don’t know the whole story. But that’s what Twitter is for- snap judgment and ranting.

Elementalism

Tue Jul 30, 2019 2:42 pm

It was checked. With that said would rather they have it verified inert. But if it was carry on I get a funny mental image of Airplane II when all those guys walked through the metal detector with weapons and they tackled the old lady lol

enilria

Tue Jul 30, 2019 3:38 pm

INFINITI329 wrote:
MaksFly wrote:
enilria wrote:

Stop... just stop.

Remember we are in a point in time where if it looks scary it's automatically bad.

They love wires because they can see the metal wires really easily. So if you have something with a lot of weird wires it's almost certain to get a search.

bikerthai

Tue Jul 30, 2019 6:55 pm

My question is . . . if he wanted to bring the part home, would he had better luck sending it via FED-EX or DHL?

bt
Intelligent seeks knowledge. Enlightened seeks wisdom.

ASA

Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:00 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Well, Baltimore is a war zone....

Hahaha ... this one is the best so far!!! :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

Aesma

Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:37 pm

ggflyboy wrote:
This seems like security PR without real substance. The fact that he was not charged with anything regarding possession is telling. If the thing was inert (non-functional) and there were no charges, actual missiles, or othwise hazardous materials involved, it’s far less dangerous than the thousands of firearms and bullets (aka “military weapons”) allowed on aircraft every day. It would be a display piece or aircraft part that could end up on any aircraft through the postal system. The fact that TSA tweeted about it is the cherry on top- not a fan of public shaming of citizens by government agencies just to alarm people watching cable news.

All that said, I don’t know the whole story. But that’s what Twitter is for- snap judgment and ranting.

That's only because he was lucky enough to get caught in the USA. If he had been caught elsewhere, he might not have been let go that easily.
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

727LOVER

Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:28 pm

So did this happen @ BWI a 2nd time??!!

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/seco ... index.html
"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." - Martin Luther King, Jr.

rbavfan

Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:45 pm

AWACSooner wrote:

Yes and your supposed to follow rules and report it is in your luggage before the flight. Also I do beleive you have to have it checked to prove it is inert. But the most obvious thing is if you want it FedEx it. Once these are allowed what if someone with the ideas you went there to fight tries to get a live one on board. They should not be allowed on a commercial flight, live or inert.

LittleSprocket

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:05 pm

I’m just curious how he got it through customs leaving Kuwait. When I returned we had to empty every single bag we had for inspection. Even pirated DVD’s were confiscated. In order for me to bring back a 10” knife, I had to get my Commanders permission...

I’d definitely be looking at how this made it onto the plane out of country.

With that said, you can’t do a dang thing with an empty rocket tube. Most of these are fired once and then discarded, unlike the Russian made RPG’s.

Newark727

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:33 pm

And this is why video game protagonists don't fly commercial.

Monty1988

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:47 am

LittleSprocket wrote:
I’m just curious how he got it through customs leaving Kuwait. When I returned we had to empty every single bag we had for inspection. Even pirated DVD’s were confiscated. In order for me to bring back a 10” knife, I had to get my Commanders permission...

I’d definitely be looking at how this made it onto the plane out of country.

With that said, you can’t do a dang thing with an empty rocket tube. Most of these are fired once and then discarded, unlike the Russian made RPG’s.

He did not fly from KWI, He flew from a US Base in Kuwait Security was managed by US Military personals, It Was announced in Kuwait Media.

smokeybandit

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:47 pm

727LOVER wrote:
So did this happen @ BWI a 2nd time??!!

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/seco ... index.html

Yes. Two separate incidents.

bennett123

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:58 pm

IMO, the TSA made the right call.

Wonder who in Kuwait said that this was OK.

smokeybandit

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:11 pm

What kind of security is there for those military charters? I'd think more lax than traditional commercial.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos