DELTA767-400
Topic Author

AA1584 Today AUS-DFW

Tue Jul 30, 2019 10:56 pm

My sister was on AA1584 today, and during the flight an announcement was made that they would do a water canon salute for the retiring captain. The flight was 30 minutes late into DFW, and she said they sat in AUS for a long time. So as she put it there was "mutiny" from the other passengers. Most were only concerned about their connection, and she made a point of signaling out to me a dude trying to get to ORD. She is not a frequent flyer by any means, and her initial reaction was that the announcement was a joke. When she was leaving though she noticed how dejected the captain looked and called me to ask why the salute was so important.

So my take on this is obviously the captain has a right to be sent off like any of us would want to be sent off. But why even ask the passengers, its OK to take a little bit for yourself after a long career. Its not like the crew wanted to sit in AUS either. Is this common practice at the US3 for a water canon salute after a delay? How much more taxi time, if any, is needed for a salute?

So long captain. Enjoy retirement!!

The Bearded Spotter

GoSteelers

Re: AA1584 Today AUS-DFW

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:33 am

At my airport, the ARFF crew is positioned at the entrance to the ramp, well in advance, of the arrival. So absolutely zero delay and zero extra taxi.

DELTA767-400
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:52 am

Thank you for the response! I passed along the info.

The Bearded Spotter

B6JFKH81

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:36 am

They weren't asking permission from the passengers, they were informing the passengers that upon arrival FIRE TRUCKS ARE GOING TO SPRAY THEIR AIRCRAFT as it comes into the ramp for a non-emergency situation, to salute someone who has dedicated his/her life to those passengers having safe flights. In this day and age, 1/2 the passengers would take to Twitter saying the airline endangered their life or some other stupid uninformed crap if the announcement wasn't made LOL.

There is normally no delay caused as the aircraft is taxiing as normal.

I wish I got a water cannon salute when I retire in another 25 years LOL!
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

DELTA767-400
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:57 am

They did not give him one. I'm not sure in this particular case you were right. But I do think that it would be a reason why they tell them passengers that sometimes. :).

Also my bad for not explicitly saying he did not receive one.

The Bearded Spotter

travaz

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:25 am

Now a days it is only about me and only me!!!

DELTA767-400
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:20 am

Yes travaz, it is a very sad state. Especially if he was in fact telling the passengers. Then their reaction got him to change his mind.

So, now i wanna know what the board thinks in light of the social media point. Should the crew even say anything before arrival and just wait till right before the seatbelt sign comes off to say what it all about? Just to ward off scaring any passengers who do not know.

The Bearded Spotter

TTailedTiger

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:51 am

A friend of mine jokes that his only request on the day he retires will be to ask to be parked next to the gate for his departing flight to OGG. He said they could do the exit interview over the radio as they taxi in. :D

DELTA767-400
Topic Author

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:24 am

Haha TTailedTiger. I needed that! Getting to spend your retirement living comfortably on the beach is probably the best reward!!

The Bearded Spotter

AAirbusCA

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:18 pm

AA1584 was late leaving Austin yesterday because the inbound from DFW was late arriving. Because of it’s close proximity to DFW, flights from Austin, especially mid day, receive “Center release times” to fit into the arrival stream on the southwest corner post. The block time for this flight was only 3 minutes longer than scheduled and all of that has nothing to do with the water cannon salute.

FlyHossD

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:22 pm

According to AA.com the aircraft was 32 minutes late arriving into AUS and was at the gate for 52 minutes. That's not an unusual amount of time.

Is there any evidence that the water cannon salute was the cause of the delay? Again, the prior flight arrived late into AUS.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

catdaddy63

Wed Jul 31, 2019 12:46 pm

AAirbusCA answered the question. I have experienced "Center Release Times" when departing TUL for DFW many times, the aircraft is pushed and taxies to an empty area waiting for the assigned departure time. It's always explained as "waiting for our slot in line to land at DFW." That way AA can show the aircraft left the gate on time, and there is usually an extended block time for the flight. Occasionally we depart without delay and arrive in DFW 20-30 minutes early after our 40-minute flight. Looking at today's schedule, the flight is blocked at 1:20 across the board, AA1090 this morning arrived DFW 13 minutes early. In the case of AA1584 yesterday, I would believe they pushed from the gate and then held for their arrival slot in DFW to open, perils of a banked hub and a short flight.

travaz

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:38 am

There is an AA flight the leaves PHX to LAX around 8 PM. It often is directed to an area near cargo and sits for clearance to LAX. I have taken this flight a few times and have seen it go from no wait to 50 Minute wait. But it always pushes from the gate on time.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:54 am

travaz wrote:
There is an AA flight the leaves PHX to LAX around 8 PM. It often is directed to an area near cargo and sits for clearance to LAX. I have taken this flight a few times and have seen it go from no wait to 50 Minute wait. But it always pushes from the gate on time.

Same deal, you’re basically climbing into the arriving LAX stream heading into Needles and Parker fixes.

GF

DELTA767-400
Topic Author

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:57 am

Sweet! That is what I told my sister yesterday. Though I did not have a name for it. Now I know!

Still the point of my thread was that he did not get his salute after asking/telling the passengers that it was gonna happen. Wanted to send some love his way, cause I felt bad for him.

The Bearded Spotter

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos