Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
Gulfstream500
Topic Author
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:52 am

Not sure if there is already a thread for this:

The company now expects to extend the operating life of some of its A320, B737 and B757 aircraft. These extensions will allow more flexibility in dealing with the grounding of the 737 MAX and the late delivery of some A321neo aircraft, as well as providing modest and efficient growth in the fleet.


https://americanairlines.gcs-web.com/st ... c50ba5b932

From the July 25th fleet update. It seems that they are quite literally keeping planes out of the desert to replace the 737MAX until they're ungrounded. But wow, they really expect grounding (late 737MAX deliveries?) and late A321neo issues to go on until 2021! Better safe than sorry...

In other news:

767-300 to be retired 2020

Only 15(!) CRJ200s to remain in the AE fleet after 2020 (EAS routes???)
So... when will the Northwest DC-9s be retired?
 
OB1504
Posts: 3962
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:58 am

Interesting development.

Now that AA is dropping Bolivia, there really aren’t any routes left that demand the 757’s unique capabilities, though it’s probably still a great asset to have on longer thin routes like MIA-BSB.

It makes sense that the 767 will go first now since the 787 was always planned to replace it and there haven’t been any issues there. I wonder whether MIA will see the A330 or 787 on international routes first.
 
FSDan
Posts: 3321
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:27 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:05 am

OB1504 wrote:
Now that AA is dropping Bolivia, there really aren’t any routes left that demand the 757’s unique capabilities


Could a 7M8 make DFW-KEF? A 788 would be too much aircraft for that route. I suppose if anything AA could move it from DFW to PHL and assign it to the 7M8 if they want to keep KEF as a destination long term.

Also, to the OP, note that I read the fleet plan as saying the 763 fleet will be retired in 2021, not 2020. They'll still have 6 left at year end 2020.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.
 
TEY1330
Posts: 27
Joined: Wed Aug 03, 2016 12:46 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:20 am

So will those former US 757s stay on the PHX-Hawaii routes a while longer? Wasn’t looking forward to new tight non AVOD A321neos to the islands.
 
Boof02671
Posts: 2102
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:15 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:36 am

The A321neo will be taking over PHX-HNL.

This is already being discussed in the AA fleet thread
 
JonNYC
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:26 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:48 am

TEY1330 wrote:
So will those former US 757s stay on the PHX-Hawaii routes a while longer? Wasn’t looking forward to new tight non AVOD A321neos to the islands.

They’ll do this:
https://twitter.com/xjonnyc/status/1150 ... 66304?s=21
 
Scarebus34
Posts: 526
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:48 am

FSDan wrote:
OB1504 wrote:
Now that AA is dropping Bolivia, there really aren’t any routes left that demand the 757’s unique capabilities


Could a 7M8 make DFW-KEF? A 788 would be too much aircraft for that route. I suppose if anything AA could move it from DFW to PHL and assign it to the 7M8 if they want to keep KEF as a destination long term.

Also, to the OP, note that I read the fleet plan as saying the 763 fleet will be retired in 2021, not 2020. They'll still have 6 left at year end 2020.

*B38M
 
planecane
Posts: 1572
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:58 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:16 am

Pretty sure they are just showing no 738 retirements until they know when the MAX is back. I assume that once the MAX is flying, the next fleet plan will be adjusted.
 
mhkansan
Posts: 872
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:28 am

I am still really curious what is happening to the ExpressJet CRJ-700 fleet. There were 16 aircraft in DFW that were converted from Delta spec with brand new interiors in 2016. Since the contract ended at the very beginning of January, all of those aircraft are in TUS in storage. I figured they would move over to OO, but instead OO is transitioning other ex-Delta CR7s into the AA 9F/56Y configuration, including removing the forward lavatories in some circumstances.

I know some of those ex-EV CRJ-700s were pretty old, but it seems silly for them not to be at OO right now. I keep checking to see if any of the -QX tails will ever fly again!
 
OB1504
Posts: 3962
Joined: Tue Jul 27, 2004 5:10 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:41 am

Scarebus34 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
OB1504 wrote:
Now that AA is dropping Bolivia, there really aren’t any routes left that demand the 757’s unique capabilities


Could a 7M8 make DFW-KEF? A 788 would be too much aircraft for that route. I suppose if anything AA could move it from DFW to PHL and assign it to the 7M8 if they want to keep KEF as a destination long term.

Also, to the OP, note that I read the fleet plan as saying the 763 fleet will be retired in 2021, not 2020. They'll still have 6 left at year end 2020.

*B38M


Both are correct. One is the IATA code and one is the ICAO code.

If we’re going to be this pedantic, “7M8” is the most appropriate code to use on Airliners.net given that we primarily use IATA codes here.

I’d forgotten about DFW-KEF (KDFW-BIKF) since I assumed AA (AAL) just started it to retaliate against WW (WOW) and wasn’t serious about the route.
 
UA444
Posts: 2997
Joined: Sun Mar 09, 2014 7:03 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:49 am

Too bad they aren’t extending the MD-80
 
sciing
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:54 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:15 am

OB1504 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Could a 7M8 make DFW-KEF? A 788 would be too much aircraft for that route. I suppose if anything AA could move it from DFW to PHL and assign it to the 7M8 if they want to keep KEF as a destination long term.

Also, to the OP, note that I read the fleet plan as saying the 763 fleet will be retired in 2021, not 2020. They'll still have 6 left at year end 2020.

*B38M


Both are correct. One is the IATA code and one is the ICAO code.

If we’re going to be this pedantic, “7M8” is the most appropriate code to use on Airliners.net given that we primarily use IATA codes here.

I’d forgotten about DFW-KEF (KDFW-BIKF) since I assumed AA (AAL) just started it to retaliate against WW (WOW) and wasn’t serious about the route.

Please use ICAO, I guess already A21N is hard but 32Q for an A321neo does nobody know. Also the 737NG letters are hard to learn.
 
NW747-400
Posts: 445
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 1999 4:42 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:29 am

mhkansan wrote:
I am still really curious what is happening to the ExpressJet CRJ-700 fleet. There were 16 aircraft in DFW that were converted from Delta spec with brand new interiors in 2016. Since the contract ended at the very beginning of January, all of those aircraft are in TUS in storage. I figured they would move over to OO, but instead OO is transitioning other ex-Delta CR7s into the AA 9F/56Y configuration, including removing the forward lavatories in some circumstances.

I know some of those ex-EV CRJ-700s were pretty old, but it seems silly for them not to be at OO right now. I keep checking to see if any of the -QX tails will ever fly again!


At least one, N605QX, is the first conversion to CRJ550 for G7. I’m not sure about the rest of the QX tails but I’d imagine they are slated for 550 conversion.
 
mhkansan
Posts: 872
Joined: Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:51 am

NW747-400 wrote:
mhkansan wrote:
I am still really curious what is happening to the ExpressJet CRJ-700 fleet. There were 16 aircraft in DFW that were converted from Delta spec with brand new interiors in 2016. Since the contract ended at the very beginning of January, all of those aircraft are in TUS in storage. I figured they would move over to OO, but instead OO is transitioning other ex-Delta CR7s into the AA 9F/56Y configuration, including removing the forward lavatories in some circumstances.

I know some of those ex-EV CRJ-700s were pretty old, but it seems silly for them not to be at OO right now. I keep checking to see if any of the -QX tails will ever fly again!


At least one, N605QX, is the first conversion to CRJ550 for G7. I’m not sure about the rest of the QX tails but I’d imagine they are slated for 550 conversion.


Interesting! Thanks for sharing!
 
mxaxai
Posts: 1900
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:29 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:42 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:

From the July 25th fleet update. It seems that they are quite literally keeping planes out of the desert to replace the 737MAX until they're ungrounded. But wow, they really expect grounding (late 737MAX deliveries?) and late A321neo issues to go on until 2021! Better safe than sorry...

I don't expect the 737 MAX grounding to continue until 2021, but some effects may still be felt. For example, the majority of deliveries will likely be delayed for some time, even if the frame wasn't built during the grounding itself. Boeing and the airlines have lots of work to do with delivering the grounded jets, ungrounding those that were already delivered, possible retrofits and pilot training, etc. All of this may lead to delays even long after the grounding is lifted.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8060
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:42 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:
Not sure if there is already a thread for this:

The company now expects to extend the operating life of some of its A320, B737 and B757 aircraft. These extensions will allow more flexibility in dealing with the grounding of the 737 MAX and the late delivery of some A321neo aircraft, as well as providing modest and efficient growth in the fleet.


https://americanairlines.gcs-web.com/st ... c50ba5b932

From the July 25th fleet update. It seems that they are quite literally keeping planes out of the desert to replace the 737MAX ...


It's also a good excuse to trim capital spending when your free cash flow is negative (again). It's been negative three of the last four quarters. https://ycharts.com/companies/AAL/free_cash_flow
 
george77300
Posts: 1131
Joined: Sat May 06, 2017 8:33 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:36 am

OB1504 wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:
FSDan wrote:

Could a 7M8 make DFW-KEF? A 788 would be too much aircraft for that route. I suppose if anything AA could move it from DFW to PHL and assign it to the 7M8 if they want to keep KEF as a destination long term.

Also, to the OP, note that I read the fleet plan as saying the 763 fleet will be retired in 2021, not 2020. They'll still have 6 left at year end 2020.

*B38M


Both are correct. One is the IATA code and one is the ICAO code.

If we’re going to be this pedantic, “7M8” is the most appropriate code to use on Airliners.net given that we primarily use IATA codes here.

I’d forgotten about DFW-KEF (KDFW-BIKF) since I assumed AA (AAL) just started it to retaliate against WW (WOW) and wasn’t serious about the route.


I was going to do a similar response, but you have beaten me too it. :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

If you’re going to be pedantic, at least be correct. :bouncy:
 
User avatar
lightsaber
Moderator
Posts: 20014
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:55 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:55 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:
Not sure if there is already a thread for this:

The company now expects to extend the operating life of some of its A320, B737 and B757 aircraft. These extensions will allow more flexibility in dealing with the grounding of the 737 MAX and the late delivery of some A321neo aircraft, as well as providing modest and efficient growth in the fleet.


https://americanairlines.gcs-web.com/st ... c50ba5b932

From the July 25th fleet update. It seems that they are quite literally keeping planes out of the desert to replace the 737MAX ...


It's also a good excuse to trim capital spending when your free cash flow is negative (again). It's been negative three of the last four quarters. https://ycharts.com/companies/AAL/free_cash_flow

Agreed. Cash is an issue. AA will push to delay MAX deliveries further. Obviously not all, but they will willingly go to the back of the queue.

Lightsaber
Flu+Covid19 is bad. Consider a flu vaccine, if not for yourself, to protect someone you care about.
 
User avatar
CarlosSi
Posts: 656
Joined: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:29 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:58 pm

Was definitely a little surprised to see SAN-PHX routed with a 757 this January earlier this week when I did a dummy booking for a potential trip.

Sorry, run-off sentence.
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 665
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:18 pm

I wonder if the LUS 757 will all be totally taken off HI runs and put on other high volume domestic runs. I think the 757s might be doing PHX/DFW.
 
Cactusjuba
Posts: 243
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:06 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:19 pm

DL is doing the same thing. 7 MD88s will go through heavy checks and fly through summer 2020 instead of retired to offset delays on the 321NEO.
 
Gulfstream500
Topic Author
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:20 pm

Interestingly enough, AA could keep their 757s in the sky for quite some time if they really wanted to. The oldest one in their fleet is from 1993, which is not terribly old (DL still operates aircraft from ‘87!)
So... when will the Northwest DC-9s be retired?
 
sargester
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:29 pm

TEY1330 wrote:
So will those former US 757s stay on the PHX-Hawaii routes a while longer? Wasn’t looking forward to new tight non AVOD A321neos to the islands.


those 321Ns are 10x better than the LUS 757s, and no those birds will be gone by the end of the year
 
sargester
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:29 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:40 pm

ok my quick thoughts to adress things in here

1: the 757 will be most likely moved to off market TCONs like MIA/LAS PHL/LAS MIA/SFO
2: AA has about 10 built 737MAXs built that need to be rolled out and who knows how long this will go on
3: the LUS 757s will be gone by the end of this year
4: DFW KEF can be supported by a 787 its full nearly every day not sure on how the yields are but AA murdered WOW and Icelandair to get them of the route.. it didn't matter if they took a loss they needed to protect their hub and don't forget people it stuck after both airliners didn't resume service
5: With the MAX the future is pretty grim for now with a time frame for return to service so its hard to say whats going to happen, AA and the rest of the MAX carriers are getting the per flight insurance anyway for having to cancel them, he lawsuit and payout from Boeing will ease some woes with taking in new planes but again its hard to tell because even look at SWA its hurting them the most right now...
6: I have a strong feeling you will see resumptions in service to small thing south america routes when the 321XLR comes online, right about now, AA was supposed to be fling the MAX on MIA BSB, i'm shocked that AA is still flying it daily, i have never looked into that route much but i know they need a more efficient plane to fly that stage length in today's world..
7: We may see a difference in how AA and the rest of the carriers will introduce new routes when the MAX comes back, not just because the planes reputation but things will change at AA, Doug ant last forever up there with that team..
 
Ishrion
Posts: 2843
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:17 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:56 pm

sargester wrote:
TEY1330 wrote:
So will those former US 757s stay on the PHX-Hawaii routes a while longer? Wasn’t looking forward to new tight non AVOD A321neos to the islands.


those 321Ns are 10x better than the LUS 757s, and no those birds will be gone by the end of the year


Did you... not read the link the OP had?...

The fleet plans show that the LUS 757s will stay until 2020 and will not be retired this year.
 
IAmGaroott
Posts: 125
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 4:37 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:29 pm

My father is on N175AN right now going from PHL-TPA. He’s in a lie-flat seat. Not a bad change from the usual domestic A321.

I wonder if other international AC will be used on domestic, non hub to hub relocation flights.
 
PSU.DTW.SCE
Posts: 8060
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:45 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:38 pm

Since I'm only a causal observer and follower of AA's fleet plans, can anyone who knows this stuff fill me in on a few questions.

1) What was the initial plan for the retirement for the first tranche of AA 738s (the ones from the late 90s)? What now is the current plan?

2) What has been the retirement history and current state of the L-AA 757s and L-US 757s? What are the late-build LAA 757s doing these days?

3) Did AA previously announce plans to retire A330s? What is the current plan with that fleet?

4) How old are the L-US A319 and A320s at this point?
 
User avatar
UltimateDelta
Posts: 2233
Joined: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:56 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:28 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Since I'm only a causal observer and follower of AA's fleet plans, can anyone who knows this stuff fill me in on a few questions.

1) What was the initial plan for the retirement for the first tranche of AA 738s (the ones from the late 90s)? What now is the current plan?

2) What has been the retirement history and current state of the L-AA 757s and L-US 757s? What are the late-build LAA 757s doing these days?

3) Did AA previously announce plans to retire A330s? What is the current plan with that fleet?

4) How old are the L-US A319 and A320s at this point?


I also haven't been following this super closely, but from threads I've read lately, I think I can answer these:

1. The first 45 were slated for retirement I want to say starting this fall, but it sounds like they're the ones being granted an extension as a result of the MAX issues.

2. Most of the legacy AA and US aircraft are gone; only the newest examples from each fleet remain. The retired frames include all legacy America West aircraft (including ex-Eastern and Republic aircraft, some of which were already gone before the merger), none of which (that I'm aware of) got AA paint. They mostly seem to be doing longer domestic runs and PHX-Hawaii routes, and a handful of international ones like BSB at the moment.

3. I believe the A330-300s were supposed to start leaving either last year or this year, but now they'll be around until 2023 or '24, I think. The -200s aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

4. The A319s date from 1998 to 2006 (this applies to both the CFM and IAE-powered fleets), and the A320s from 1999-2010. All of the 1989-build ex-America West aircraft are out of service at this point.
Midwest Airlines- 1984-2010
 
Miamiairport
Posts: 665
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:14 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:37 pm

Initially think AA had plan on beginning to retire some of the 738s this year, was then pushed back to 2020 and now beyond 2021. The LAA 757 all are configured with 16 lie flat seats and do some runs to Western Europe as well as MIA and DFW domestic routes. No retirement date set. The LUS 757s were being used on PHX/HI routes and with the take over of the 321neo I assume they will be used for other high volume domestic runs. The 333 was originally set to retire in 2017 or 2018 I think, the date pulled back and now will stay in the fleet beyond 2021. Most of the LUS 319s and 320s are builds from the late 90s and previous decade. No retirements of either through 2021.
 
slcdeltarumd11
Posts: 4758
Joined: Fri Jan 09, 2004 7:30 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:33 pm

The AA 757s still have some good use in winter for EGE and JAC. Could see some 319s slack freed up for other routes if need be.

They clearly need the capacity until the max has an end date, so great news for spotters! Love the 757. Airlines need to keep all options open. Similar I think united was very smart to buy 737-700 used no one knows when the MAX will fly again. AA is being smart here.
 
n471wn
Posts: 1717
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:23 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:49 pm

slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
The AA 757s still have some good use in winter for EGE and JAC. Could see some 319s slack freed up for other routes if need be.

They clearly need the capacity until the max has an end date, so great news for spotters! Love the 757. Airlines need to keep all options open. Similar I think united was very smart to buy 737-700 used no one knows when the MAX will fly again. AA is being smart here.


Yes they are while SWA has not made even one purchase of used aircraft since the grounding. I guess they are determined to ride this out
 
musman9853
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:36 pm

keeping the 757s around? Boooooooooo
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
Gulfstream500
Topic Author
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:37 pm

mxaxai wrote:
Gulfstream500 wrote:

From the July 25th fleet update. It seems that they are quite literally keeping planes out of the desert to replace the 737MAX until they're ungrounded. But wow, they really expect grounding (late 737MAX deliveries?) and late A321neo issues to go on until 2021! Better safe than sorry...

I don't expect the 737 MAX grounding to continue until 2021, but some effects may still be felt. For example, the majority of deliveries will likely be delayed for some time, even if the frame wasn't built during the grounding itself. Boeing and the airlines have lots of work to do with delivering the grounded jets, ungrounding those that were already delivered, possible retrofits and pilot training, etc. All of this may lead to delays even long after the grounding is lifted.


Theoretically, if Boeing has to stop producing MAXes until they are ungrounded, then you could probably expect a delivery delay of six+ months.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/24/busi ... 7-max.html

Earlier, it was revealed that MAXes were being parked in Boeing Employee parking.
So... when will the Northwest DC-9s be retired?
 
User avatar
Super80Fan
Posts: 1622
Joined: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:14 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:38 pm

UA444 wrote:
Too bad they aren’t extending the MD-80


Tell me about it.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways
 
Gulfstream500
Topic Author
Posts: 476
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:47 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
UA444 wrote:
Too bad they aren’t extending the MD-80


Tell me about it.


I’d love to continue to see the old AA mainline livery for a few more months, but...

The MD-80 has a set in stone retirement date, and the MD-80s are probably being retired as checks are being required.

Additionally, the MD-80 does not have enough seats to cover the MAX.
So... when will the Northwest DC-9s be retired?
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8060
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:03 pm

n471wn wrote:
slcdeltarumd11 wrote:
The AA 757s still have some good use in winter for EGE and JAC. Could see some 319s slack freed up for other routes if need be.

They clearly need the capacity until the max has an end date, so great news for spotters! Love the 757. Airlines need to keep all options open. Similar I think united was very smart to buy 737-700 used no one knows when the MAX will fly again. AA is being smart here.


Yes they are while SWA has not made even one purchase of used aircraft since the grounding. I guess they are determined to ride this out


WN did announce a slowdown of 2019 -700 retirements. From the 7/30/19 10-Q:

As a result of the MAX groundings, the Company deferred the retirement of 7 of its owned Boeing 737-700
aircraft; therefore, the Company now plans to retire 11 of its 737-700 aircraft in 2019 .
 
1989worstyear
Posts: 887
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:53 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:08 am

musman9853 wrote:
keeping the 757s around? Boooooooooo


And how are they different than all the 20-ish year old A320's and 738's may I ask? :scratchchin:
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...
 
tcfc424
Posts: 580
Joined: Mon Nov 17, 2003 11:56 am

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:35 am

So, we all should understand that the M80 retirement is due to the requirements of ADS-B, which some posters (in the know) in other threads have stated is >$1mm. That said, I don't understand those that mention that an M80 is not a replacement (or even a placeholder) for a 7M8. That's correct, it's not. However, shifting fleets around (i.e., use the 752 to cover the 7M8, the 738/321 to cover the 752, and the M80 to cover the 738/321) has merit. Ultimately though, the M80 will not be extended. I only wish that as part of this life extension, these aircraft would be outfitted with power at every seat. For the A333, they should consider PE, along with power.
 
musman9853
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:10 pm

1989worstyear wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
keeping the 757s around? Boooooooooo


And how are they different than all the 20-ish year old A320's and 738's may I ask? :scratchchin:


they're being oasified to a new interior with wifi and plugs. far superior to the product available on the 767s and 757s
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 8060
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:26 pm

tcfc424 wrote:
So, we all should understand that the M80 retirement is due to the requirements of ADS-B, which some posters (in the know) in other threads have stated is >$1mm.


How is DL flying MD-88s into 2020?
 
alasizon
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:27 pm

musman9853 wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
keeping the 757s around? Boooooooooo


And how are they different than all the 20-ish year old A320's and 738's may I ask? :scratchchin:


they're being oasified to a new interior with wifi and plugs. far superior to the product available on the 767s and 757s


Every single AA narrowbody other than the MD-80s and E90s have Satellite WiFi. All of the 757s have in-seat power in First.

The 320s are not seeing an Oasis mod, they are staying exactly as is; no plugs at all and still using the plush LUS seats. And I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people (myself included) that wouldn't say Oasis is a good thing. My long legs plus 30" pitch don't exactly jive well.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
ckfred
Posts: 5185
Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2001 12:50 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:34 pm

I saw an interview on CNBC with Doug Parker on the day of the earnings release. He said that retirement plans are being modified and will continue to be modified with the continued grounding of the MAX. He was polite, but you could tell that he is frustrated that Boeing and the FAA can't seem to give any sort of time line for getting the MAX recertified.

From what I've heard on CNBC and read in various papers, Boeing will be hard pressed to get every MAX scheduled for a 2019 delivery to customers this year, assuming that it can start deliveries in Q4. Presumably, aircraft scheduled for delivery in the last few months of 2019 won't be delivered until 2020. Depending on whether Boeing has to further slow or halt MAX production, pundits are predicting that some scheduled deliveries for 2020 will be pushed back into 2021.

Assuming that Boeing can resume MAX deliveries in October, I suspect that AA will only get a portion of the scheduled deliveries for 2019. Frankly, trying to get all of the aircraft scheduled for March through December delivered in less than three months would take a lot of effort on the part of both Boeing and AA.

Further, if AA is undertaking work to extend the lives of 757s, 738s, and A320s to cover the lack of MAX, AA will look at one of two solutions. A. Boeing reimburses AA for the costs association with keeping older aircraft flying, or B. AA takes a slower delivery schedule to justify the cost of keeping older aircraft flying.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 10633
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:35 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
tcfc424 wrote:
So, we all should understand that the M80 retirement is due to the requirements of ADS-B, which some posters (in the know) in other threads have stated is >$1mm.


How is DL flying MD-88s into 2020?

IIRC a portion of DL’s MD-88 fleet got ADS-B installed.
 
bridge29
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:45 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:32 pm

alasizon wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:

And how are they different than all the 20-ish year old A320's and 738's may I ask? :scratchchin:


they're being oasified to a new interior with wifi and plugs. far superior to the product available on the 767s and 757s


Every single AA narrowbody other than the MD-80s and E90s have Satellite WiFi. All of the 757s have in-seat power in First.

The 320s are not seeing an Oasis mod, they are staying exactly as is; no plugs at all and still using the plush LUS seats. And I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people (myself included) that wouldn't say Oasis is a good thing. My long legs plus 30" pitch don't exactly jive well.


This is incorrect, LUS A320s are getting refit with power outlets as we speak. They should all be done by the Fall. The seating configuration is staying the same, unfortunately, with no true MCE.
 
alasizon
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:41 pm

bridge29 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
Every single AA narrowbody other than the MD-80s and E90s have Satellite WiFi. All of the 757s have in-seat power in First.

The 320s are not seeing an Oasis mod, they are staying exactly as is; no plugs at all and still using the plush LUS seats. And I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people (myself included) that wouldn't say Oasis is a good thing. My long legs plus 30" pitch don't exactly jive well.


This is incorrect, LUS A320s are getting refit with power outlets as we speak. They should all be done by the Fall. The seating configuration is staying the same, unfortunately, with no true MCE.


There is not a single 320 in mods currently. All mods (including Oasisfying the LUS 321s) were put on hold due to the MAX OOS.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent
 
musman9853
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:49 pm

alasizon wrote:
musman9853 wrote:
1989worstyear wrote:

And how are they different than all the 20-ish year old A320's and 738's may I ask? :scratchchin:


they're being oasified to a new interior with wifi and plugs. far superior to the product available on the 767s and 757s


Every single AA narrowbody other than the MD-80s and E90s have Satellite WiFi. All of the 757s have in-seat power in First.

The 320s are not seeing an Oasis mod, they are staying exactly as is; no plugs at all and still using the plush LUS seats. And I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people (myself included) that wouldn't say Oasis is a good thing. My long legs plus 30" pitch don't exactly jive well.


I wasn't aware the 757s have wifi, I try my best to avoid them. The a320s are getting oasified, a few a321s have been already. And I personally think having power plugs is far better than having 1 inch better legroom or width. The 767s are some of the widest seats in Americans fleet, but i avoid them as much as possible.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
musman9853
Posts: 961
Joined: Mon May 14, 2018 12:30 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:51 pm

alasizon wrote:
bridge29 wrote:
alasizon wrote:
Every single AA narrowbody other than the MD-80s and E90s have Satellite WiFi. All of the 757s have in-seat power in First.

The 320s are not seeing an Oasis mod, they are staying exactly as is; no plugs at all and still using the plush LUS seats. And I'm pretty sure there are a lot of people (myself included) that wouldn't say Oasis is a good thing. My long legs plus 30" pitch don't exactly jive well.


This is incorrect, LUS A320s are getting refit with power outlets as we speak. They should all be done by the Fall. The seating configuration is staying the same, unfortunately, with no true MCE.


There is not a single 320 in mods currently. All mods (including Oasisfying the LUS 321s) were put on hold due to the MAX OOS.


But they will be modified with the superior oasis product eventually.
Welcome to the City Beautiful.
 
N649DL
Posts: 969
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:21 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:29 am

Miamiairport wrote:
I wonder if the LUS 757 will all be totally taken off HI runs and put on other high volume domestic runs. I think the 757s might be doing PHX/DFW.


If you check flightaware.com, the L-US 757 are mostly on PHX-Hawaii flights (and IIRC, PHX-DCA-PHX) and the L-AA 757 are mostly PHL-Europe, DFW/MIA-South America, Some CLT/MIA-Caribbean and domestically (this summer) DFW-BOS/MCO/LAS/JFK/PHL/MIA mostly. With only 34 aircraft in the fleet, they really get around compared to UA which has 54 of them.
 
Ionosphere
Posts: 263
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:46 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:05 am

Crazy to think the 737NGs are already up for retirement My first 738 flight was on AA JFK-BOS in February 2001.
 
alasizon
Posts: 2598
Joined: Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:57 pm

Re: American extending life of some 757s, A320s, and 737s

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:03 am

musman9853 wrote:
But they will be modified with the superior oasis product eventually.


The whole point of Oasis is to increase seat density, seeing as it isn't changing, the 320s aren't planning to be Oasifyed. As far as I know, there are currently no plans to add power to the LUS 320s (despite bridge saying otherwise) and if they were going to be done by Fall, they would need to be in Mods starting this week.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos