TMccrury
Topic Author

Suspected drunk DL pilot arrested just before flight

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:58 am

A DL Pilot was removed from a fully boarded flight after TSA agents discovered alcohol in his baggage and smelled it on his breath.

https://www.foxnews.com/travel/delta-pi ... f-drinking
Last edited by SQ22 on Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title updated

DLASFlyer

Re: DL Pilot Pulled from Flight after Alcohol was found

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:15 pm

The primary source - the Minneapolis Star Tribune - says he was arrested pre-security in terminal 1. Very different from the Fox News drama about a full airplane.

MaksFly

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:47 pm

Lol, as per numerous articles, the plane was full at time of arrest. Nothing to do with Fox News. Get real people.

In either case, wow!

slider

Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:50 pm

Damn, the way that description unfolds indicates that guy really has a problem. Left security, yet still came back? No bueno. Hope he gets the help he needs, because the consequence of this is career and life changing.

Still, day drinking early Tuesday AM...that's solid. If you're on vacation at the beach.

"Gabriel Lyle Schroeder, 37, was cuffed just after 11 a.m. Tuesday after police at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport found him reeking of alcohol and with a bottle of booze on him.

Schroeder, of Rosemount, Minnesota, left a pre-boarding TSA screening line for crew members when he noticed that additional screening was being conducted, airport spokesman Patrick Hogan told CNN.

“The individual left the line, which drew suspicion,” Hogan said. He ultimately returned to the line — but officers had already reported him to the Minneapolis Airport Police, who conducted two sobriety checks, according to local station ABC 5. One found that he was under the influence of alcohol, and results from the other are pending, according to the report.

Officers also found that the pilot was in possession of a “bottle” of alcohol, a Delta spokesman told the outlet, without specifying which type."

https://nypost.com/2019/07/31/suspected ... re-flight/

tjwgrr

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:34 pm

Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

aemoreira1981

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:36 pm

The pilot is lucky he didn't make it to the plane and call for a pushback. Otherwise, that could be a DWI.

spinotter

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:35 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
The pilot is lucky he didn't make it to the plane and call for a pushback. Otherwise, that could be a DWI.

I don't know if you are being serious, but is there any legal difference between getting caught in the security line or after pushback? The intention and conduct are the same in both places.

SQ22

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:08 pm

slider wrote:
Damn, the way that description unfolds indicates that guy really has a problem. Left security, yet still came back? No bueno. Hope he gets the help he needs, because the consequence of this is career and life changing.

Still, day drinking early Tuesday AM...that's solid. If you're on vacation at the beach.

"Gabriel Lyle Schroeder, 37, was cuffed just after 11 a.m. Tuesday after police at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport found him reeking of alcohol and with a bottle of booze on him.

Schroeder, of Rosemount, Minnesota, left a pre-boarding TSA screening line for crew members when he noticed that additional screening was being conducted, airport spokesman Patrick Hogan told CNN.

“The individual left the line, which drew suspicion,” Hogan said. He ultimately returned to the line — but officers had already reported him to the Minneapolis Airport Police, who conducted two sobriety checks, according to local station ABC 5. One found that he was under the influence of alcohol, and results from the other are pending, according to the report.

Officers also found that the pilot was in possession of a “bottle” of alcohol, a Delta spokesman told the outlet, without specifying which type."

https://nypost.com/2019/07/31/suspected ... re-flight/

Thanks for proiding this source, I have updated the title accordingly.

Spacepope

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:19 pm

MaksFly wrote:
Lol, as per numerous articles, the plane was full at time of arrest. Nothing to do with Fox News. Get real people.

In either case, wow!

Um the Faux News title states he was removed from the plane, while official sources say he never made it through security. Who needs accuracy when you can just rile up some boomers!
The last of the famous international playboys

robsaw

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:23 pm

MaksFly wrote:

In either case, wow!

Either he was removed from the plane or removed at security. Whether the plane was full or not isn't the question.

No need to be an apologist for FOX News - or at least be an accurate apologist.

Blockplus

Re: Suspected drunk DL pilot arrested just before flight

Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:37 pm

Arrested, held for a few hours and released. No charges yet. If he is found to not exceed limits then I expect a full apology for releasing his name. I’m sure that would happen... carrying an empty bottle is not proof of anything, and smells are not anything but a step in discovery.

kiowa

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:05 pm

I thought there was another drunk Delta pilot arrested earlier this year? In Europe maybe?

WayexTDI

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:06 pm

Blockplus wrote:
Arrested, held for a few hours and released. No charges yet. If he is found to not exceed limits then I expect a full apology for releasing his name. I’m sure that would happen... carrying an empty bottle is not proof of anything, and smells are not anything but a step in discovery.

That's the major issue in this case: his name was released without him being proven at fault yet. And, even if he was at fault, why splatter the guy's name all over the news?

slider

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:08 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:

In most municipalities, the "intent" to drive constitutes a DUI.

DUI law is the one major and egregious carveout to the US Constitution that exists. Guilty before innocent.

dmg626

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:18 pm

slider wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

DUI law is the one major and egregious carveout to the US Constitution that exists. Guilty before innocent.

If sitting in ones car, drunk with keys in ignition and engine running then yes, intent. If nowhere near car yet but maybe heading that way then no. If pilot was pinched at security, then I’m sure the Johnny Cochran would be he wasn’t going to get into plane.

Blockplus

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:32 pm

Intent is showing up in a uniform for an assigned trip. At least that is the way it is presented by our management.

Coexstud

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:52 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:

FwI btw not dwi

airportugal310

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:56 pm

I don't get the fascination with Fox here...as if CNN is any better? Mainstream media is terrible all around. I think we can all agree on that

The accusation is that a pilot allegedly showed up intoxicated for a flight. Who cares who reported it...
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

lightsaber

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:56 pm

Coexstud wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

FwI btw not dwi

Which state? Could be both. In California, making wheels turn even a bicycle, is DWI.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

WayexTDI

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:07 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Coexstud wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

FwI btw not dwi

Which state? Could be both. In California, making wheels turn even a bicycle, is DWI.

Lightsaber

You must have missed the sarcasm:
- DWI: Driving While Intoxicated;
- FWI: Flying While Intoxicated. I'd be very surprised if it even exists, but it's the aviation derivative.

LH707330

Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:17 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Coexstud wrote:
FwI btw not dwi

Lightsaber

- FWI: Flying While Intoxicated. I'd be very surprised if it even exists, but it's the aviation derivative.

FAR 91.17...

WayexTDI

Wed Jul 31, 2019 7:56 pm

LH707330 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
lightsaber wrote:

Lightsaber

FAR 91.17...

I meant, the term "FWI". 14 CFR 91.17 lays the rules for Drugs & Alcohol, but doesn't use the term FWI or "Flying While Intoxicated".

IPFreely

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:10 pm

kiowa wrote:
I thought there was another drunk Delta pilot arrested earlier this year? In Europe maybe?

January in Amsterdam:

https://www.aerotime.aero/aerotime.extr ... ilot?v=amp

https://loyaltylobby.com/2019/01/29/del ... echanical/

umichman

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:15 pm

Spacepope wrote:
MaksFly wrote:

In either case, wow!

Um the Faux News title states he was removed from the plane, while official sources say he never made it through security. Who needs accuracy when you can just rile up some boomers!

CNN makes same claim in headline. Let him who is without sin cast the first stone.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/31/us/delta ... index.html

And here's USA Today with a "kicked off plane" headline.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/a ... 875577001/
Last edited by umichman on Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MIflyer12

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:21 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Blockplus wrote:

That's the major issue in this case: his name was released without him being proven at fault yet. And, even if he was at fault, why splatter the guy's name all over the news?

In the U.S. charges routinely get published before convictions, as in 'Mr. XXX of Nowhere, State, will appear in court xx/xx/xx on charges of Driving While Intoxicated.'

spinotter

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:25 pm

dmg626 wrote:
slider wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

If sitting in ones car, drunk with keys in ignition and engine running then yes, intent. If nowhere near car yet but maybe heading that way then no. If pilot was pinched at security, then I’m sure the Johnny Cochran would be he wasn’t going to get into plane.

That is not the same situation as an airline cockpit member going through security, is it? What, are you trying to whitewash him?

PhilMcCrackin

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:34 pm

spinotter wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

I don't know if you are being serious, but is there any legal difference between getting caught in the security line or after pushback? The intention and conduct are the same in both places.

It makes a big difference in terms of him keeping his employment.

Super80Fan

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:35 pm

He's an ALPA member, he'll be back in the cockpit by the start of next week.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

BravoOne

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:50 pm

Super80Fan wrote:

Not likely unless this story is a total fabrication of the events as played out. He may not lose his job in the end the critical point is whether or not he set foot on the airplane regardless of intentions. After that he is probably toast. ALPA and the company usually have an agreement where by the pilots career and probably his life can be salvaged. It has been invoked many times in the past simply because it has been proven to work for all concerned.

CriticalPoint

Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:53 pm

Super80Fan wrote:

Man that’s sooooooo funny!

You have no idea how unions work.

Super80Fan

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:00 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

I am a large fan of (and have been a member in the past) of unions, but I can't stand ALPA's tactics and cult following they have.

Most jobs I've been with the union is used as a helping tool or a crutch to the job. With ALPA it's "union first, company/job second". Maybe ALPA should just start up their own airline.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

N757ST

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:02 pm

Super80Fan wrote:

He’ll likely get referred to HIMS and go through rehab. After about 6 months or so he’ll likely be allowed to fly again, as long as there aren’t criminal charges. For the I believe the rest of his career he will now be prohibited from consuming alcohol while off duty and while even home. He will also be subject to random alcohol screening at much higher intervals at work and randomly out of work. This is if rehab is found to have a positive effect, otherwise he’ll be canned.

TTailedTiger

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:03 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
Blockplus wrote:

People have their names released for alleged crimes all the time. Just because you are a pilot it doesn't make you better than anyone else.
Last edited by TTailedTiger on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SierraPacific

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:03 pm

No charges filed and his name is released by the news media, insane. I can't wait for him to sue every news media organization for slander.

It is not right to publish this mans name until he is charged since the stink of having these articles pop up when you are trying to move ahead in your life down the road will almost certainly destroy him.

TTailedTiger

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:05 pm

N757ST wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

He’ll likely get referred to HIMS and go through rehab. After about 6 months or so he’ll likely be allowed to fly again, as long as there aren’t criminal charges. For the I believe the rest of his career he will now be prohibited from consuming alcohol while off duty and while even home. He will also be subject to random alcohol screening at much higher intervals at work and randomly out of work. This is if rehab is found to have a positive effect, otherwise he’ll be canned.

Delta has a problem on their hands. This is their second pilot arrested for drinking in less than a year. There should be no mercy after the fact. They should only receive rehab and probation if they admit their problem first. Once you check in for the flight it should be too late. This will continue to happen since there are apparently no real consequences at Delta.

TTailedTiger

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:07 pm

SierraPacific wrote:
No charges filed and his name is released by the news media, insane. I can't wait for him to sue every news media organization for slander.

It is not right to publish this mans name until he is charged since the stink of having these articles pop up when you are trying to move ahead in your life down the road will almost certainly destroy him.

He can't sue if it's true. It was said that he smelled of alcohol and was behaving weirdly since he returned to the security checkpoint.

TTailedTiger

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:09 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

I think he does. ALPA defended an NWA pilot high on cocaine.

N757ST

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:10 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
N757ST wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Delta has a problem on their hands. This is their second pilot arrested for drinking in less than a year. There should be no mercy after the fact. They should only receive rehab and probation if they admit their problem first. Once you check in for the flight it should be too late. This will continue to happen since there are apparently no real consequences at Delta.

I don’t work for delta, but at 14,000 pilots they are one of the largest pilot groups and statistically as a result they likely have more incidents then other airlines. I don’t think that there are any systemic cultural problems at delta causing this. There are real consequences when committing something as stupid as this, but airlines handle it differently then others. Delta I believe allows for rehab after entering the airport, some don’t.

SierraPacific

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:10 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
SierraPacific wrote:

He can't sue if it's true. It was said that he smelled of alcohol and was behaving weirdly since he returned to the security checkpoint.

Innocent before being proved guilty which they have practically nothing on him. If behaving weirdly is your justification to release his full name and address to the general public, I hope that you never come near journalism.

For God Sakes, the media didn't even have a tox report before publically humiliating a person on live tv

(I really wish the media did the public shaming on this level for politicians or CEO's)
Last edited by SierraPacific on Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September11

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:12 pm

Crew on MSP-SAN?

High seniority, for sure
Airliners.net of the Future

alasizon

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:27 pm

September11 wrote:
Crew on MSP-SAN?

High seniority, for sure

Likely not. MSP-SAN is a 321 so it could be any A320 FO from any base (I'm assuming FO since he is 37). Even then, at only 37 he couldn't have possibly accrued that much seniority.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

mcdu

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:15 pm

CriticalPoint wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Then explain how it works contrary to what was written. If this was a first offense Delta will pay for his 28 day rehab at a clinic, he will enter the drunk program with monthly meetings and be returned to the line with regular monitoring.

It is the sad truth unfortunately that decisions like this don’t have the consequences they once had.

CriticalPoint

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:35 pm

mcdu wrote:
CriticalPoint wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Then explain how it works contrary to what was written. If this was a first offense Delta will pay for his 28 day rehab at a clinic, he will enter the drunk program with monthly meetings and be returned to the line with regular monitoring.

It is the sad truth unfortunately that decisions like this don’t have the consequences they once had.

What you stated is correct it’s called HIMS and is provided to us by the Union with company acceptance. It takes Months if not years to jump through all the hoops. But you know that, you are a United pilot. Without ALPA and HIMS the pilot would have already been fired, instead of being helped. The company does not care about any of its employees.

The consequences are still what they used to be ALPA cannot save you from the law and prison. Just look at the two United pilots that got busted in Glasgow. If the law determines the pilot is innocent then ALPA will do the right thing and protect the pilots job while providing him the help he needs.

spinotter

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:18 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
spinotter wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

But why would that be? The intention is the same no matter where discovered, right?

spinotter

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:19 pm

PhilMcCrackin wrote:
spinotter wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

But why would that be? The intention is the same no matter where discovered, right?

aemoreira1981

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:24 pm

spinotter wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:

In the 2000s, two HP pilots were arrested for being drunk after pushback in Florida and ultimately served prison time. They were considered to be operating a motor vehicle. That’s why I believe that there is a difference.

LH707330

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:42 pm

WayexTDI wrote:
LH707330 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

FAR 91.17...

I meant, the term "FWI". 14 CFR 91.17 lays the rules for Drugs & Alcohol, but doesn't use the term FWI or "Flying While Intoxicated".

Ah, got it. I guess if you need to taxi to the runway first, you'd get a DUI, maybe a BUI in a floatplane :D

Regarding the practice of US law enforcement and media publishing names of people arrested before they're found guilty, I find that practice abhorrent. IMHO there should be stricter privacy controls as in many EU countries.

WayexTDI

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:09 am

MIflyer12 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
Blockplus wrote:

In the U.S. charges routinely get published before convictions, as in 'Mr. XXX of Nowhere, State, will appear in court xx/xx/xx on charges of Driving While Intoxicated.'

That still doesn't make it right. What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

alasizon

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:15 am

WayexTDI wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:

That still doesn't make it right. What happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

You're innocent until proven guilty in a court of law; not the court of public opinion.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

WayexTDI

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:22 am

alasizon wrote:
WayexTDI wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

You're innocent until proven guilty in a court of law; not the court of public opinion.

Hence the reason why the name shouldn't be released until at least the toxicology report comes back.
Court of public opinion is the worst of them all.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos