• 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 10
 
waoz1
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:24 am

ben175 wrote:
rtav wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

Does that make PER-DPS the single international market with the most number of airlines on it, or would that be SYD-AKL or SYD-LAX or another I can't think of right now?



I believe Garuda’s pulling out of PER-DPS with this replacing it.


I highly doubt that - I just booked flights to DPS on GA for next June. GA is also the only airline currently offering J on the route, besides Batik who have abysmal loads and a not so great reputation in WA.

GA targets the high end sector of the market staying in five star and scoops up some of the lower yielding pax to fill up Y. Citilink will go after QZ and JQ.


I agree
Only real J class offering and the timings are horrendous and would hand it to Batik/Jetstar and Air Asia
 
User avatar
rtav
Posts: 46
Joined: Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:10 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:52 pm

ben175 wrote:
rtav wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

Does that make PER-DPS the single international market with the most number of airlines on it, or would that be SYD-AKL or SYD-LAX or another I can't think of right now?



I believe Garuda’s pulling out of PER-DPS with this replacing it.


I highly doubt that - I just booked flights to DPS on GA for next June. GA is also the only airline currently offering J on the route, besides Batik who have abysmal loads and a not so great
GA targets the high end sector of the market staying in five star and scoops up some of the lower yielding pax to fill up Y. Citilink will go after QZ and JQ.

I don’t see why IASC would let another airline operate the route. Garuda owns Citilink and one would assume they are merely swapping it out. GA’s load factor to Australia in May was a poor 59%. They could well be reijigging their network structure. Also I’ve done some mock bookings and PER-DPS on GA is inconsistent with some dates having no flights and some days having it.

But it would be awesome if GA kept flying
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:56 pm

Vistara says it may fly to Australia if they convert their options on the 787

https://livefromalounge.boardingarea.co ... nal-plans/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:59 pm

Cebu Pacific is planning to expand Australian services with A321XLR from 2024. May also include non stop services between Australia and Cebu

https://blueswandaily.com/cebu-pacific- ... -a321xlrs/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:05 pm

Qantas CEO AJ said last week at the CAPA event that currently all resources are working on Project Sunrise and hopes to have made a decision by end of the year. QF will order more 787's next year and they way he speaks sounds like there could be more non-stop routes to the US plus future services to CDG from PER as well

https://blueswandaily.com/qantas-sees-r ... lan-joyce/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:09 pm

Virgin's new BNE lounge due to open on 3 September

https://www.executivetraveller.com/virg ... -my-lounge
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:20 pm

SYD airport reports 14.8% increase in first half profit

https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/ ... et-profit/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:30 pm

Virgin has introduced baggage allowance for infants, the new allowance will be 23kg plus 2 special infant items

https://7news.com.au/business/virgin-au ... s-c-400686
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:33 pm

ben175 wrote:
rtav wrote:
Obzerva wrote:

Does that make PER-DPS the single international market with the most number of airlines on it, or would that be SYD-AKL or SYD-LAX or another I can't think of right now?



I believe Garuda’s pulling out of PER-DPS with this replacing it.


I highly doubt that - I just booked flights to DPS on GA for next June. GA is also the only airline currently offering J on the route, besides Batik who have abysmal loads and a not so great reputation in WA.

GA targets the high end sector of the market staying in five star and scoops up some of the lower yielding pax to fill up Y. Citilink will go after QZ and JQ.


GA loads have not been much better than ID recently
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:17 pm

June domestic BITRE

https://www.bitre.gov.au/publications/o ... n_2019.pdf

ADL-ASP, SYD-MCY, PER-ZNE and SYD-DRW saw largest increases while SYD-PPP, PER-DRW, SYD-DBO and BNE-BDB saw largest decreases
Forum Moderator
 
Qantas16
Posts: 692
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:21 pm

qf789 wrote:
Virgin has introduced baggage allowance for infants, the new allowance will be 23kg plus 2 special infant items

https://7news.com.au/business/virgin-au ... s-c-400686


Just an excuse to get a quick feel-good story but not sure how this will help VA. Most airlines either offer 0kg allowance for infants or 10kg of baggage plus most will allow 1-3 baby items (e.g. pram, cot). QF offers 0kg for domestic and 10kg for international and allows 3 baby items. So why does VA need to offer 23kg?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:37 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Virgin has introduced baggage allowance for infants, the new allowance will be 23kg plus 2 special infant items

https://7news.com.au/business/virgin-au ... s-c-400686


Just an excuse to get a quick feel-good story but not sure how this will help VA. Most airlines either offer 0kg allowance for infants or 10kg of baggage plus most will allow 1-3 baby items (e.g. pram, cot). QF offers 0kg for domestic and 10kg for international and allows 3 baby items. So why does VA need to offer 23kg?


This initiative was introduced well over a month ago. Scurrah has made a point of focusing on the customer experience, this was also the first policy announcement made through Paul's PB
Forum Moderator
 
Obzerva
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:35 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Virgin has introduced baggage allowance for infants, the new allowance will be 23kg plus 2 special infant items

https://7news.com.au/business/virgin-au ... s-c-400686


Just an excuse to get a quick feel-good story but not sure how this will help VA. Most airlines either offer 0kg allowance for infants or 10kg of baggage plus most will allow 1-3 baby items (e.g. pram, cot). QF offers 0kg for domestic and 10kg for international and allows 3 baby items. So why does VA need to offer 23kg?


I'd also argue it's also a way of getting a few items out of the cabin and into the hold, so that's a win for everybody else on board.
 
User avatar
Velocity7
Posts: 45
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:32 am

qf789 wrote:
Virgin's new BNE lounge due to open on 3 September

https://www.executivetraveller.com/virg ... -my-lounge


I don't mean to sound pessimistic but I can't help but feel I am going to be disappointed. The location of this lounge within the international terminal is very odd. I think I am going to miss the SilverKris lounge for VA flights to the USA....I hope I am wrong.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7831
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:45 am

Velocity7 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Virgin's new BNE lounge due to open on 3 September

https://www.executivetraveller.com/virg ... -my-lounge


I don't mean to sound pessimistic but I can't help but feel I am going to be disappointed. The location of this lounge within the international terminal is very odd. I think I am going to miss the SilverKris lounge for VA flights to the USA....I hope I am wrong.


I don't mind the casual as opposed to businessy vibe, after all the Qantas International lounge was also designed to have a "very Queensland" feel, but what sets alarm bells ringing for me is talk of the "grazing menu". That sounds like corporate double-speak for only offering snacks and no substantial meal options.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2132
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:20 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Velocity7 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
Virgin's new BNE lounge due to open on 3 September

https://www.executivetraveller.com/virg ... -my-lounge


I don't mean to sound pessimistic but I can't help but feel I am going to be disappointed. The location of this lounge within the international terminal is very odd. I think I am going to miss the SilverKris lounge for VA flights to the USA....I hope I am wrong.


I don't mind the casual as opposed to businessy vibe, after all the Qantas International lounge was also designed to have a "very Queensland" feel, but what sets alarm bells ringing for me is talk of the "grazing menu". That sounds like corporate double-speak for only offering snacks and no substantial meal options.

Having recently been through the QF International Business lounges in both MEL and SYD quite a few times, I can honestly say their substantial meal options are pretty dire. Last time in MEL was a sloppy stew, some rice and some sad looking steamed vegetables. Other than that, it was back to the old faithful cheese and ham toastie.

Having said that, I don't really mind. Typically these meals are really just snacks anyway. The only time you really appreciate a decent meal is a light night departure where you can then skip the plane meal and go to sleep; unfortunately if you are in W or Y, this doesn't work either as the cabin remains fully lit and very noisy.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
smi0006
Posts: 2270
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:06 am

tullamarine wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Velocity7 wrote:

I don't mean to sound pessimistic but I can't help but feel I am going to be disappointed. The location of this lounge within the international terminal is very odd. I think I am going to miss the SilverKris lounge for VA flights to the USA....I hope I am wrong.


I don't mind the casual as opposed to businessy vibe, after all the Qantas International lounge was also designed to have a "very Queensland" feel, but what sets alarm bells ringing for me is talk of the "grazing menu". That sounds like corporate double-speak for only offering snacks and no substantial meal options.

Having recently been through the QF International Business lounges in both MEL and SYD quite a few times, I can honestly say their substantial meal options are pretty dire. Last time in MEL was a sloppy stew, some rice and some sad looking steamed vegetables. Other than that, it was back to the old faithful cheese and ham toastie.

Having said that, I don't really mind. Typically these meals are really just snacks anyway. The only time you really appreciate a decent meal is a light night departure where you can then skip the plane meal and go to sleep; unfortunately if you are in W or Y, this doesn't work either as the cabin remains fully lit and very noisy.


Any updates on the progress of the Sydney, Auckland and Tokyo lounge upgrades? They were due to be finished this year, but I haven’t seen any construction. Perhaps the SiNgapore first lounge announced later took priority? Side note is the the SIN F lounge far from the current business lounge?

Melbourne lounge won’t be touched until APAM has some shade of a clue and commit (they notoriously change their strategy, and done deliver to prior commitments), I’d say QF are desperate to move but there isn’t space or the space they maybe offered could be a long way from the future operations.
 
zkncj
Posts: 3237
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:57 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:19 am

smi0006 wrote:

Any updates on the progress of the Sydney, Auckland and Tokyo lounge upgrades? They were due to be finished this year, but I haven’t seen any construction. Perhaps the SiNgapore first lounge announced later took priority? Side note is the the SIN F lounge far from the current business .


The Auckland lounge seems to have fallen through an couple of times now, although it did just get an couple of new TV’s an few weeks back so maybe that’s upgrade complete?

It’s an pretty poor lounge that feels like it’s still in 1998, think that’s when it opened in that space?

It’s almost like they should give up and hand the space over to an contract provided to operate it on there behalf or use the EK lounge.
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2132
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:52 am

smi0006 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

I don't mind the casual as opposed to businessy vibe, after all the Qantas International lounge was also designed to have a "very Queensland" feel, but what sets alarm bells ringing for me is talk of the "grazing menu". That sounds like corporate double-speak for only offering snacks and no substantial meal options.

Having recently been through the QF International Business lounges in both MEL and SYD quite a few times, I can honestly say their substantial meal options are pretty dire. Last time in MEL was a sloppy stew, some rice and some sad looking steamed vegetables. Other than that, it was back to the old faithful cheese and ham toastie.

Having said that, I don't really mind. Typically these meals are really just snacks anyway. The only time you really appreciate a decent meal is a light night departure where you can then skip the plane meal and go to sleep; unfortunately if you are in W or Y, this doesn't work either as the cabin remains fully lit and very noisy.


Any updates on the progress of the Sydney, Auckland and Tokyo lounge upgrades? They were due to be finished this year, but I haven’t seen any construction. Perhaps the SiNgapore first lounge announced later took priority? Side note is the the SIN F lounge far from the current business lounge?

Melbourne lounge won’t be touched until APAM has some shade of a clue and commit (they notoriously change their strategy, and done deliver to prior commitments), I’d say QF are desperate to move but there isn’t space or the space they maybe offered could be a long way from the future operations.

The SIN F lounge will be quite a distance from the existing lounge. The F lounge will be at the end of the D concourse whereas the existing lounge is closer to the C concourse. Realistically it will be about a 5 or 6 minute walk from one to the other.

I believe QF has earmarked space at MEL for a new lounge above the new airside link between T1 and T2 which will be used for the new swing gates in the C concourse. There will also be space for new lounges on the other side of T2 where another airside link will be made to swing gates in T3's E concourse.

I would guess that once this is all complete that the existing lounges on the arrivals concourse will all be removed so the space can be used for an alternative purpose improving the flow of what is currently a very clogged arrivals experience.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
QF742
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:13 am

tullamarine wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Having recently been through the QF International Business lounges in both MEL and SYD quite a few times, I can honestly say their substantial meal options are pretty dire. Last time in MEL was a sloppy stew, some rice and some sad looking steamed vegetables. Other than that, it was back to the old faithful cheese and ham toastie.

Having said that, I don't really mind. Typically these meals are really just snacks anyway. The only time you really appreciate a decent meal is a light night departure where you can then skip the plane meal and go to sleep; unfortunately if you are in W or Y, this doesn't work either as the cabin remains fully lit and very noisy.


Any updates on the progress of the Sydney, Auckland and Tokyo lounge upgrades? They were due to be finished this year, but I haven’t seen any construction. Perhaps the SiNgapore first lounge announced later took priority? Side note is the the SIN F lounge far from the current business lounge?

Melbourne lounge won’t be touched until APAM has some shade of a clue and commit (they notoriously change their strategy, and done deliver to prior commitments), I’d say QF are desperate to move but there isn’t space or the space they maybe offered could be a long way from the future operations.

The SIN F lounge will be quite a distance from the existing lounge. The F lounge will be at the end of the D concourse whereas the existing lounge is closer to the C concourse. Realistically it will be about a 5 or 6 minute walk from one to the other.

I believe QF has earmarked space at MEL for a new lounge above the new airside link between T1 and T2 which will be used for the new swing gates in the C concourse. There will also be space for new lounges on the other side of T2 where another airside link will be made to swing gates in T3's E concourse.

I would guess that once this is all complete that the existing lounges on the arrivals concourse will all be removed so the space can be used for an alternative purpose improving the flow of what is currently a very clogged arrivals experience.


I certainly hope so. The arrivals at MEL is pretty bad. They should move all the lounges and instead move the duty free to where the lounges are currently and have way more of those passport stations and just generally have more space.

It always feels so claustrophobic in the arrivals area.
 
waoz1
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:56 am

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -oct-2019/

Seems to be new service and not a replacement for Garuda’s usual service as per previous comment.
 
TasFlyer
Posts: 170
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:55 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:52 am

qf789 wrote:
June domestic BITRE

https://www.bitre.gov.au/publications/o ... n_2019.pdf

ADL-ASP, SYD-MCY, PER-ZNE and SYD-DRW saw largest increases while SYD-PPP, PER-DRW, SYD-DBO and BNE-BDB saw largest decreases


It's definitely a two-speed market at the moment; I wonder if more capacity redistributions will be announced coincident with the upcoming QF and VA results?

Six of the top ten routes reported a decrease in passengers; MEL-PER was steady; which left OOL-SYD, OOL-MEL, and HBA-MEL as the only growing markets of these top ten; the latter with the highest growth at 6.4 per cent.

It was a similar story for the top ten airports: six reported declines; PER was steady; which left BNE, OOL, and HBA as the only growing markets of these top ten; the latter with the highest growth at 9.3 per cent.

Of the minor routes, MCY-SYD continues to shine, up 10.9 per cent. Interestingly, current JQ schedules show this route loses a daily service for the Christmas/New Year peak; perhaps QF will add 737s or more 717s in its place? Note QF have been dribbling out announcements of holiday capacity increases, with OOL and HBA benefitting so far; perhaps MCY is next?
 
waoz1
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:17 pm

QR900 heading towards Adelaide or Melbourne

Is this a diversion due to weather? Bucketing down in Perth tonight
 
User avatar
Dan23
Posts: 149
Joined: Thu Jun 30, 2005 11:12 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:23 pm

Yes QR900 held for around an hour to the west of Perth then diverted to Adelaide.

QZ470 also went to KGI.
 
waoz1
Posts: 529
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:46 pm

Dan23 wrote:
Yes QR900 held for around an hour to the west of Perth then diverted to Adelaide.

QZ470 also went to KGI.


QR approaching Adelaide and QZ taxiing for departure from KGI
 
smi0006
Posts: 2270
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:10 pm

tullamarine wrote:
smi0006 wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Having recently been through the QF International Business lounges in both MEL and SYD quite a few times, I can honestly say their substantial meal options are pretty dire. Last time in MEL was a sloppy stew, some rice and some sad looking steamed vegetables. Other than that, it was back to the old faithful cheese and ham toastie.

Having said that, I don't really mind. Typically these meals are really just snacks anyway. The only time you really appreciate a decent meal is a light night departure where you can then skip the plane meal and go to sleep; unfortunately if you are in W or Y, this doesn't work either as the cabin remains fully lit and very noisy.


Any updates on the progress of the Sydney, Auckland and Tokyo lounge upgrades? They were due to be finished this year, but I haven’t seen any construction. Perhaps the SiNgapore first lounge announced later took priority? Side note is the the SIN F lounge far from the current business lounge?

Melbourne lounge won’t be touched until APAM has some shade of a clue and commit (they notoriously change their strategy, and done deliver to prior commitments), I’d say QF are desperate to move but there isn’t space or the space they maybe offered could be a long way from the future operations.

The SIN F lounge will be quite a distance from the existing lounge. The F lounge will be at the end of the D concourse whereas the existing lounge is closer to the C concourse. Realistically it will be about a 5 or 6 minute walk from one to the other.

I believe QF has earmarked space at MEL for a new lounge above the new airside link between T1 and T2 which will be used for the new swing gates in the C concourse. There will also be space for new lounges on the other side of T2 where another airside link will be made to swing gates in T3's E concourse.

I would guess that once this is all complete that the existing lounges on the arrivals concourse will all be removed so the space can be used for an alternative purpose improving the flow of what is currently a very clogged arrivals experience.


Awesome thanks for the update on MEL plans, I hadn’t seen any of them - have they been released at all? What’s the time frames for swing gate usage. The first pier of the QF terminal could use a refund. Interesting only narrow bodies would be able to be accommodated here I assume? Agree makes sense to open the QF and CX lounge space up for arrivals. Surprised CX still have a lounge in MEL tbh!

I suppose QF has to get what space they could for the F lounge, be curious to see how the public goes finding each lounge - people tend to check their brains in when traveling a bit!

Interesting around AKL, with the NZ lounge also shockingly over crowded perhaps everyone is waiting on AIAL offering up some new space?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 3:38 pm

waoz1 wrote:
QR900 heading towards Adelaide or Melbourne

Is this a diversion due to weather? Bucketing down in Perth tonight


Yes both weather related, even now close to midnight it’s still very windy

QR is due to depart tomorrow at 2015 from PER
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:27 pm

South African has gone tech as well, passengers to be accommodated overnight
Forum Moderator
 
SeaTacFan
Posts: 10
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 11:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Fri Aug 16, 2019 11:37 pm

Just curious: Has there been any more talk and / or speculation about QF opening SEA-BNE or SEA-SYD? It seems as if one or the other is on their to-do list, albeit it not necessarily very high up on their to-do list. Whenever SEA flights have come in discussion threads, the responses seem to trend toward one extreme or the other: either it's a great idea / they'll definitely do it, or it's a lousy idea / they'll never do it.

I don't know all the logistics or financial implications of such a route, so it's not for me to say whether they should or shouldn't open it. Obviously, those of us who live in SEA would love to see it. I just don't know if it's feasible.

Would love to hear some of the latest thoughts from those of you who have more knowledge than I have about this.Thanks so much.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7831
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:10 am

SeaTacFan wrote:
Just curious: Has there been any more talk and / or speculation about QF opening SEA-BNE or SEA-SYD? It seems as if one or the other is on their to-do list, albeit it not necessarily very high up on their to-do list. Whenever SEA flights have come in discussion threads, the responses seem to trend toward one extreme or the other: either it's a great idea / they'll definitely do it, or it's a lousy idea / they'll never do it.

I don't know all the logistics or financial implications of such a route, so it's not for me to say whether they should or shouldn't open it. Obviously, those of us who live in SEA would love to see it. I just don't know if it's feasible.

Would love to hear some of the latest thoughts from those of you who have more knowledge than I have about this.Thanks so much.


No, sadly not. With BNE-ORD and BNE-SFO announced their 787 fleet (including future deliveries) is fully accounted for.

Had these two routes not been launched then either DFW and/or SEA would probably have been in contention, but presumably Qantas felt that ORD/SFO would be more profitable at this time.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
QF742
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:52 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
SeaTacFan wrote:
Just curious: Has there been any more talk and / or speculation about QF opening SEA-BNE or SEA-SYD? It seems as if one or the other is on their to-do list, albeit it not necessarily very high up on their to-do list. Whenever SEA flights have come in discussion threads, the responses seem to trend toward one extreme or the other: either it's a great idea / they'll definitely do it, or it's a lousy idea / they'll never do it.

I don't know all the logistics or financial implications of such a route, so it's not for me to say whether they should or shouldn't open it. Obviously, those of us who live in SEA would love to see it. I just don't know if it's feasible.

Would love to hear some of the latest thoughts from those of you who have more knowledge than I have about this.Thanks so much.


No, sadly not. With BNE-ORD and BNE-SFO announced their 787 fleet (including future deliveries) is fully accounted for.

Had these two routes not been launched then either DFW and/or SEA would probably have been in contention, but presumably Qantas felt that ORD/SFO would be more profitable at this time.


I can see SYD-SEA in the future, but I think for the moment QF’s priority will be to get all current routes to the USA to daily and to have the new capacity absorbed.

I also think that QF will launch MEL and BNE to DFW before any flight to SEA. So SEA maybe in a decade’s time?
 
moa999
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:21 am

Tend to agree unlikely to be many new routes as the remaining 787s are 747 replacements. Maybe only some shorter routes with a 321XLR.

Bigger question is let's say QF does get 8 350/777 by 2024/25 and flies them on SYD/MEL- LHR/JFK.
What routes do the 12 A380s fly? Given after the refurb will likely be with QF to 2030.
Can't go to LHR as you're already using 6 slots (PER, MEL and SYD), possibly don't need A380 on DFW once you have JFK direct...
Maybe just SIN, HKG, NRT, LAX, SFO?
 
User avatar
SeaEagle8
Posts: 151
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 8:59 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:48 am

I would assume the A380s will be phased out like most airlines seem to be doing or wanting to do.
NSW based avgeek
 
Obzerva
Posts: 406
Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:48 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:54 am

SeaEagle8 wrote:
I would assume the A380s will be phased out like most airlines seem to be doing or wanting to do.


Put them in JQ colours and run them PER-DPS ;)
it'd kill about 3 airlines off that route.
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2132
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 3:23 am

Bigger question is let's say QF does get 8 350/777 by 2024/25 and flies them on SYD/MEL- LHR/JFK.
What routes do the 12 A380s fly? Given after the refurb will likely be with QF to 2030.
Can't go to LHR as you're already using 6 slots (PER, MEL and SYD), possibly don't need A380 on DFW once you have JFK direct...
Maybe just SIN, HKG, NRT, LAX, SFO?


Qantas has already said they plan to fly their refurbished A380s for about another 10 years. Obviously LAX and SIN will remain key markets but it is also likely HKG (assuming current political headwinds ease) will become a year-round option. Personally I believe QF will keep SYD-SIN-LHR; the A35Ks (or the now less likely 778s) will be necessarily premioum heavy so unless QF are prepared to give over a significant number of Y pax to EK, there is still a definite market for the A380. If anything, I think the beginning of MEL/SYD-LHR will probably mean the end of the 789 PER-LHR flight.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
Captdasbomb
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:01 am

Dan23 wrote:
Yes QR900 held for around an hour to the west of Perth then diverted to Adelaide.

QZ470 also went to KGI.

I wonder if they have any crew on ground in Adelaide or QR901 will delayed & a costly hotel bill for everyone on board
 
Captdasbomb
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:28 am

tullamarine wrote:
Bigger question is let's say QF does get 8 350/777 by 2024/25 and flies them on SYD/MEL- LHR/JFK.
What routes do the 12 A380s fly? Given after the refurb will likely be with QF to 2030.
Can't go to LHR as you're already using 6 slots (PER, MEL and SYD), possibly don't need A380 on DFW once you have JFK direct...
Maybe just SIN, HKG, NRT, LAX, SFO?


Qantas has already said they plan to fly their refurbished A380s for about another 10 years. Obviously LAX and SIN will remain key markets but it is also likely HKG (assuming current political headwinds ease) will become a year-round option. Personally I believe QF will keep SYD-SIN-LHR; the A35Ks (or the now less likely 778s) will be necessarily premioum heavy so unless QF are prepared to give over a significant number of Y pax to EK, there is still a definite market for the A380. If anything, I think the beginning of MEL/SYD-LHR will probably mean the end of the 789 PER-LHR flight.


PER-LHR will stay with the deal they had with State Government till the T3/T4 closes in 2025/26. Though i think they can/should alter the frequency to 4 times to London & 3 times to Paris without need extra metal
 
User avatar
SCFlyer
Posts: 270
Joined: Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:39 am

Captdasbomb wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Bigger question is let's say QF does get 8 350/777 by 2024/25 and flies them on SYD/MEL- LHR/JFK.
What routes do the 12 A380s fly? Given after the refurb will likely be with QF to 2030.
Can't go to LHR as you're already using 6 slots (PER, MEL and SYD), possibly don't need A380 on DFW once you have JFK direct...
Maybe just SIN, HKG, NRT, LAX, SFO?


Qantas has already said they plan to fly their refurbished A380s for about another 10 years. Obviously LAX and SIN will remain key markets but it is also likely HKG (assuming current political headwinds ease) will become a year-round option. Personally I believe QF will keep SYD-SIN-LHR; the A35Ks (or the now less likely 778s) will be necessarily premioum heavy so unless QF are prepared to give over a significant number of Y pax to EK, there is still a definite market for the A380. If anything, I think the beginning of MEL/SYD-LHR will probably mean the end of the 789 PER-LHR flight.


PER-LHR will stay with the deal they had with State Government till the T3/T4 closes in 2025/26. Though i think they can/should alter the frequency to 4 times to London & 3 times to Paris without need extra metal


I suspect PER-LHR stays post sunrise but as a tag ex-BNE. Probably as a SFO-BNE-PER-LHR-PER-BNE-SFO rotation (At that point BNE-SFO would've been moved to daily complimenting the BNE-LAX service).

So something like
SYD-LHR-SYD
MEL-LHR-SYD
BNE-PER-LHR-PER-BNE (using the slot returned from BA)
SYD-SIN-LHR-SIN-SYD (with connections from BNE and MEL).
 
QF742
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Aug 18, 2018 1:00 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:40 am

Captdasbomb wrote:
tullamarine wrote:
Bigger question is let's say QF does get 8 350/777 by 2024/25 and flies them on SYD/MEL- LHR/JFK.
What routes do the 12 A380s fly? Given after the refurb will likely be with QF to 2030.
Can't go to LHR as you're already using 6 slots (PER, MEL and SYD), possibly don't need A380 on DFW once you have JFK direct...
Maybe just SIN, HKG, NRT, LAX, SFO?


Qantas has already said they plan to fly their refurbished A380s for about another 10 years. Obviously LAX and SIN will remain key markets but it is also likely HKG (assuming current political headwinds ease) will become a year-round option. Personally I believe QF will keep SYD-SIN-LHR; the A35Ks (or the now less likely 778s) will be necessarily premioum heavy so unless QF are prepared to give over a significant number of Y pax to EK, there is still a definite market for the A380. If anything, I think the beginning of MEL/SYD-LHR will probably mean the end of the 789 PER-LHR flight.


PER-LHR will stay with the deal they had with State Government till the T3/T4 closes in 2025/26. Though i think they can/should alter the frequency to 4 times to London & 3 times to Paris without need extra metal


I agree that PER-LHR will stay, but maybe at a reduced frequency to account for MEL and SYD to LHR direct flights. I very much doubt the SIN-LHR leg will stay on the A380, if at all. One poster above questioned whether QF will be happy to lose Y pax to the likes of EK - I think they have sent a very clear message in recent years that they do not want to chase low yield pax in the international market.

I think once sunrise aircraft arrive, A380s will be limited to MEL/SYD-LAX/SIN and SYD-HKG. But I think QF will change DFW to a smaller aircraft while adding in MEL/BNE. They will probably start retiring the A380 only a few years after the sunrise aircraft arrive.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7831
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:12 am

Alan Joyce has already said that QF1/2 will remain after Sunrise is launched.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
smi0006
Posts: 2270
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:47 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
Alan Joyce has already said that QF1/2 will remain after Sunrise is launched.


Doesn’t QF have for slots?
PER-LHR
SYD-LHR
MEL-LHR
SYD-SIN-LHR

I don’t think the sunrise routes are to stimulate demand, I think they are designed to recapture premium demand previously lost to the ME3 - but I do think QF will have to ensure they have a higher level of service. I think we could see F come back on these aircraft- has AJ commented on that? I thinking SIN LHR would still get connections from BNE, and maybe ADL too with a 321 at some point. So I’d see it remaining. I don’t see huge changes to the above. PER as a market will grow over the next five years, especially if QF can build more of a hub there (CDG,FRA,JNB,AKL) and be less reliant on MEL, and AU feed.

I wonder if we could see the 321 operate anything out of CBR? SIN/HKG- minimal cargo, but maybe 3 weekly? I’m excited to see where they end up tbh.
MEL-CKG/MNL/NAN 3-4weekly + 1 additional SIN.
ADL-SIN
PER-HKG

I also wonder if QF could do with some 321NEOs from the group order to take over some Tasman flying, and transcontinental- The 330s could be used more into Asia then? Surely the 321s would be cheaper to operate?
Last edited by smi0006 on Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:50 am

Emirates reducing some services in November

DXB-ADL, reduced to 5 weekly, 11-20 Nov 19
DXB-BNE, EK430/431 cancelled, 6-22 Nov 19
DXB-SYD, EK414/415, 77W replaces A388, 6-20 Nov 19

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... djustment/
Forum Moderator
 
NTLDaz
Posts: 349
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2011 7:56 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:51 am

smi0006 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Alan Joyce has already said that QF1/2 will remain after Sunrise is launched.


Doesn’t QF have for slots?
PER-LHR
SYD-LHR
MEL-LHR
SYD-SIN-LHR

I don’t think the sunrise routes are to stimulate demand, I think they are designed to recapture premium demand previously lost to the ME3 - but I do think QF will have to ensure they have a higher level of service. I think we could see F come back on these aircraft- has AJ commented on that? I thinking SIN LHR would still get connections from BNE, and maybe ADL too with a 321 at some point. So I’d see it remaining. I don’t see huge changes to the above. PER as a market will grow over the next five years, especially if QF can build more of a hub there (CDG,FRA,JNB,AKL) and be less reliant on MEL, and AU feed.

I wonder if we could see the 321 operate anything out of CBR? SIN/HKG- minimal cargo, but maybe 3 weekly?


SYD - SIN - LHR has F. Project Sunrise will have F.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:01 am

Malindo started services to SYD this week and have indicated they want to add more services to Australia away from mainland capitals, CNS has been mentioned as a possible future destination

https://australianaviation.com.au/2019/ ... to-sydney/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:07 am

Yesterday SYD received their first A330-900neo service

Image

Image

https://twitter.com/SydneyAirport/statu ... 91681?s=20
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1665
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:00 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
SeaTacFan wrote:
Just curious: Has there been any more talk and / or speculation about QF opening SEA-BNE or SEA-SYD? It seems as if one or the other is on their to-do list, albeit it not necessarily very high up on their to-do list. Whenever SEA flights have come in discussion threads, the responses seem to trend toward one extreme or the other: either it's a great idea / they'll definitely do it, or it's a lousy idea / they'll never do it.

I don't know all the logistics or financial implications of such a route, so it's not for me to say whether they should or shouldn't open it. Obviously, those of us who live in SEA would love to see it. I just don't know if it's feasible.

Would love to hear some of the latest thoughts from those of you who have more knowledge than I have about this.Thanks so much.


No, sadly not. With BNE-ORD and BNE-SFO announced their 787 fleet (including future deliveries) is fully accounted for.

Had these two routes not been launched then either DFW and/or SEA would probably have been in contention, but presumably Qantas felt that ORD/SFO would be more profitable at this time.


Looking logically, aside from SFO, QF's expantion in the US has so far been along AA hub lines. LAX, then DFW, then ORD. NYC has tag service from LAX but will get direct once sunrise happens. From here it is less clear though but I can't see any of the remaining hubs being contenders (PHL, CLT, LGA, DCA, PHX) aside from perhaps MIA once Sunrise aircraft have been around for a bit.to help open more direct Caribbean service which is potentially a higher yielding passenger market- though that is very remote. If SEA was an AA hub or focus city id say that it would be quickly added to the QF network. AA's strategy will probably be the lead that QF follows in SEA unless it broadens the AS relationship, though it in itself could be difficult given AA and AS are competitors.

Im sure it has been raised before but VA to SEA to feed DL flights could be a left of centre idea, though the VA fleet is not right for this either.
 
User avatar
RyanairGuru
Posts: 7831
Joined: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:50 am

qf2220 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
SeaTacFan wrote:
Just curious: Has there been any more talk and / or speculation about QF opening SEA-BNE or SEA-SYD? It seems as if one or the other is on their to-do list, albeit it not necessarily very high up on their to-do list. Whenever SEA flights have come in discussion threads, the responses seem to trend toward one extreme or the other: either it's a great idea / they'll definitely do it, or it's a lousy idea / they'll never do it.

I don't know all the logistics or financial implications of such a route, so it's not for me to say whether they should or shouldn't open it. Obviously, those of us who live in SEA would love to see it. I just don't know if it's feasible.

Would love to hear some of the latest thoughts from those of you who have more knowledge than I have about this.Thanks so much.


No, sadly not. With BNE-ORD and BNE-SFO announced their 787 fleet (including future deliveries) is fully accounted for.

Had these two routes not been launched then either DFW and/or SEA would probably have been in contention, but presumably Qantas felt that ORD/SFO would be more profitable at this time.


Looking logically, aside from SFO, QF's expantion in the US has so far been along AA hub lines. LAX, then DFW, then ORD. NYC has tag service from LAX but will get direct once sunrise happens. From here it is less clear though but I can't see any of the remaining hubs being contenders (PHL, CLT, LGA, DCA, PHX) aside from perhaps MIA once Sunrise aircraft have been around for a bit.to help open more direct Caribbean service which is potentially a higher yielding passenger market- though that is very remote. If SEA was an AA hub or focus city id say that it would be quickly added to the QF network. AA's strategy will probably be the lead that QF follows in SEA unless it broadens the AS relationship, though it in itself could be difficult given AA and AS are competitors.

Im sure it has been raised before but VA to SEA to feed DL flights could be a left of centre idea, though the VA fleet is not right for this either.


SEA is still an important market in as much as Qantas are required to maintain their codeshare with Alaska under the JV, and AS serve a lot of unique markets that AA doesn't. However, a lot of those are markets in PacNW and Western Canada which have relatively little traffic to Australia.

I think it will happen at some point with the growing corporate demand from Seattle to Australia, SFO being a case in point where strong demand can support a route without AA, but probably not for about 5 years.

I don't think VA/DL is likely. VA don't have the aircraft and Delta clearly aren't too interested in growing Australia. They have flown the exact same schedule for 10 years while QF and UA have both expanded significantly and AA have entered the market.
Worked Hard, Flew Right
 
Flyingsottsman
Posts: 720
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:32 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:41 am

Does any of QF's UK flights still fly via Dubai, and are they still in an alliance with EK, have not heard anything about their partnership for a long while?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 8779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:42 am

Flyingsottsman wrote:
Does any of QF's UK flights still fly via Dubai, and are they still in an alliance with EK, have not heard anything about their partnership for a long while?


QF metal is either via SIN or PER, QF codeshares on all EK services to DXB
Forum Moderator
 
moa999
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2018 6:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sun Aug 18, 2019 10:48 am

And QF Club members and Elites still have access to EK lounges and vv.

The partnership was extended to 2022
https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... rtnership/
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 10

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos