Whoopeecock

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2019

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:31 am

DavidByrne wrote:
NPL8800 wrote:
Speaking of other recent domestic launches, there was the short lived one season CHC-MON-ZQN x3/weekly in 2012/13

Does anyone remember when HLZ-NSN was operated?

Kiwi Regional was flying this route when they wrapped up in 2016. Always though NZ would bring that route back, the Waikato has so many call centres and companies based in the region. A lot of colleagues drive up to AKL and fly direct due to timing and cost.

PA515

Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:37 am

The Air NZ 2019 Annual Results Analyst Call Transcript is now available.

https://p-airnz.com/cms/assets/PDFs/201 ... script.pdf

From bottom of page 11 to top of page 12.
All 789s will be back in service from 'sometime' in Sep 2019 and the ex SQ 77E ZK-OKJ is being returned on 25 Sep 2019. The lease of the EVA 77W ZK-OKT has been extended to the end of April 2020 to cover for 789 Code 2 aircraft having their RR TEN engines overhauled earlier than originally planned Feb to Apr 2020. However, there are only fourteen of fifteen 789s utilised in a 16-22 Dec sample schedule but additional 77W short hauls. There's a bit of slack in the 77E fleet also. There could be some tweaking of the schedule before Dec.

PA515

PA515

Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:06 am

Re the 16-22 Dec schedule, existing A321NEO sectors such as the 0700 CHC-SYD and AKL-OOL are still showing as A320 but there's enough A321NEO to accommodate those. But after doing that there's only three A320NEOs, but four A320s on international. Wondered if ZK-NHD, an ALC lease, will be a delayed delivery. Airbus is a bit behind with some deliveries and ALC is affected.

PA515

DavidByrne

Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:40 am

axio wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

Not sure when it started, but like PMR-NSN, it ended with the GFC in 2008.

Seriously - it was that long ago?! How time flies . . .
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

ZK-NBT

Tue Aug 27, 2019 4:51 am

PA515 wrote:
The Air NZ 2019 Annual Results Analyst Call Transcript is now available.

https://p-airnz.com/cms/assets/PDFs/201 ... script.pdf

From bottom of page 11 to top of page 12.
All 789s will be back in service from 'sometime' in Sep 2019 and the ex SQ 77E ZK-OKJ is being returned on 25 Sep 2019. The lease of the EVA 77W ZK-OKT has been extended to the end of April 2020 to cover for 789 Code 2 aircraft having their RR TEN engines overhauled earlier than originally planned Feb to Apr 2020. However, there are only fourteen of fifteen 789s utilised in a 16-22 Dec sample schedule but additional 77W short hauls. There's a bit of slack in the 77E fleet also. There could be some tweaking of the schedule before Dec.

PA515

The online schedules are a bit all over the place still updating.

There are 14 not 15 789s. I noticed some 77W in midday SYD services at some point, returns at 2055 for NZ2 at 2245.

A fair bit of chopping and changing, KIX goes 772 late DEC for example. Hard to keep up with. 772s are or were in early JAN

IAH/LAX x 7 2 frames
KIX:NRT x6 1 frame
HKG x7 1 frame
EZE x5 1.5 frames
HNL x5 1 frame
SYD x14 1 frame 0700-1620 departures and planets of other short hauls

PA515

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:00 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
There are 14 not 15 789s.

Correct. Should have said "only thirteen of fourteen 789s utilised in a 16-22 Dec sample schedule."

PA515

PA515

Tue Aug 27, 2019 5:09 am

Also, using the website 'book' function means if a flight is sold out it doesn't show. Wondered why there were NLK-BNE and NLK-SYD flights 16-22 Dec that didn't arrive.

PA515

aerohottie

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:40 am

Going by Virgin Australia's recent financial announcement, it looks as though NZ made the right call to bail when they did.
Also, Luxons comments that VA need to refocus their business on domestic and get their financial performance sorted seems on the money.
What?

a7ala

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:45 am

aerohottie wrote:
Going by Virgin Australia's recent financial announcement, it looks as though NZ made the right call to bail when they did.
Also, Luxons comments that VA need to refocus their business on domestic and get their financial performance sorted seems on the money.

Of course he would say that as he doesn't want to compete with them on the Tasman.

DavidByrne

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:21 am

a7ala wrote:
aerohottie wrote:

Of course he would say that as he doesn't want to compete with them on the Tasman.

At the time he made the comment NZ and VA were operating together on the Tasman.

SCFlyer

Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:49 am

DavidByrne wrote:
a7ala wrote:
aerohottie wrote:

At the time he made the comment NZ and VA were operating together on the Tasman.

Many news reports at the time had varied versions of that alleged comment, ranging from "eliminate all international" to "eliminate only LAX and feed all traffic to NZ".

Either way, Luxon's alleged comments in the boardroom was never going to fly in a bickering VA boardroom where all shareholders had their own motives. So it was no surprise he had no choice but to sell up.

zkncj

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:28 am

aerohottie wrote:

At what point does VA end up in voluntary administration? The loses can’t keep going for ever, surely there will be point were the current investors will refuse to put any more cash into the airline.

SCFlyer

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:42 am

zkncj wrote:
aerohottie wrote:

At what point does VA end up in voluntary administration? The loses can’t keep going for ever, surely there will be point were the current investors will refuse to put any more cash into the airline.

It's already started (in regards to capital). Its already been reported that all the current shareholders have already baulked at providing more cash. So Scurrah already knows he's basically on his own.

In addition its been reported that HNA (and rumours of EY) have already looked at selling out with no credible interested buyers on the horizon.

eta unknown

Wed Aug 28, 2019 6:56 am

I'm sure AAB would be open to a dinner date. I believe he's in KUL right now... a short Aussie sidetrip, perhaps?

DavidByrne

Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:38 am

Positive sign for TPE: fourth flight per week added during April.

Zkpilot

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:17 am

AviatorNZ wrote:
tom90 wrote:
Hey a question re the new flight times on NZ between AKL and IVC, I note that the flight leaves at 19:35 hours which is 30 mins after the 19:05 hours cut off for Koru Hour during weekdays. Surely on a 2 hour domestic flight NZ would reconsider this? That is quite a long flight to survive on a cookie and a hot drink / water. Yes I know the carries in USA stretch things a lot longer but hey, we are not the USA.
Anybody know if NZ are planning on more than a "cookie and water" for these flights? I guess ZQN and DUD are pretty similar so they could argue what's the difference...? Just my thoughts and questions.
I noticed the inaugural flight from AKL had plenty to offer on board!!

It should technically be offered on NZ698 IVC-AKL but it isn't.

IVC-AKL is Koru Hour. It’s morning Koru which just means you get a different snack to the usual cookie or chips. The snack was a muffin but is now Bliss Balls or OSM (One Square Meal) bar - morning Koru doesn’t really affect price.

As for the evening flight AKL-IVC it is after Koru Hours. Yes it would be nice to have but as this is a new route and the aim is to make it as cost effective and viable as possible, to add a Koru service adds somewhere around $1000 to operate it so either has to be absorbed or needs to be charged for which puts up ticket prices and therefore reduces demand and route viability.
59 types. 41 countries. 24 airlines.

Zkpilot

Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:24 am

planemanofnz wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
And more interesting still, what will be the NEXT domestic route NZ operates?

Auckland - Wanaka, from the mid-2020's?

Cheers,

C.

{checkmark} NZ would probably be doing it already if the airport was all set up for jet ops. AKL-WKA. Has been estimated that 1/3 of ZQN pax are heading to WKA so to have a daily flight would make a lot of sense and take some pressure off ZQN. Certainly during ski season. Might not be so viable in summer, then again the whole area is busy in summer too now.
I certainly expect it within 3 years provided there isn’t a global recession.

NZ6

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:18 pm

a7ala wrote:
aerohottie wrote:

While the conspiracists will believe that was Luxon's motives, does anyone really see VA as a threat on the Tasman?

They failed within the NZ market and have a very small loyalty base/following here. They don't offer a superior product to NZ, or even QF like say, EK does. Their frequency isn't anything to worry about, ex AKL there is no lounge and there is no built-in IFE which to many is a minimum requirement for a 'service airline' these days.

Is Luxon really making comments in fear of competing against VA on the Tasman or is he simply stating the obvious, VA should revert back to what made them successful and where they at least have a chance of being profitable again.

To me, VA failed drastically in moving from the LCC space into a full-service airline and grew internationally too quick with the wrong aircraft on the wrong routes.

DavidByrne

Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:44 pm

Zkpilot wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
And more interesting still, what will be the NEXT domestic route NZ operates?

Cheers,

C.

{checkmark} NZ would probably be doing it already if the airport was all set up for jet ops. AKL-WKA. Has been estimated that 1/3 of ZQN pax are heading to WKA so to have a daily flight would make a lot of sense and take some pressure off ZQN. Certainly during ski season. Might not be so viable in summer, then again the whole area is busy in summer too now.

The main obstacle, as I understand it, to operating AKL-WKA is that the runway is way too short (and possibly too narrow and too poor in load-bearing quality also for all I know). There needs to be a significant upgrade programme. I believe a Resource Consent is in place for an upgrade, but am not aware that anyone has actually put a spade in the ground.

After it is upgraded, I can eventually see Transtasman routes as well operating from WKA - again to relieve the pressure on ZQN and recognising that a lot of ZQN traffic is WKA-bound anyway. Even if ZKPilot's estimate of a third of ZQN pax being WKA-bound is an overestimate (and I'm not suggesting it is), there's still a significant market.

Zkpilot

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:12 am

DavidByrne wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

Cheers,

C.

The main obstacle, as I understand it, to operating AKL-WKA is that the runway is way too short (and possibly too narrow and too poor in load-bearing quality also for all I know). There needs to be a significant upgrade programme. I believe a Resource Consent is in place for an upgrade, but am not aware that anyone has actually put a spade in the ground.

After it is upgraded, I can eventually see Transtasman routes as well operating from WKA - again to relieve the pressure on ZQN and recognising that a lot of ZQN traffic is WKA-bound anyway. Even if ZKPilot's estimate of a third of ZQN pax being WKA-bound is an overestimate (and I'm not suggesting it is), there's still a significant market.

Yes runway is the main issue... plenty of flat land at the Northern end.
I think the idea is to have domestic traffic reduce the ZQN load by some going to WKA. Intl will still go to ZQN as that is the bigger international market. Overall 1/3 might be going to WKA but I would estimate that upwards of 80% of international are going to ZQN while domestic is closer to 50:50 probably 60:40.

NZ6

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:31 am

Zkpilot wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
Zkpilot wrote:

Yes runway is the main issue... plenty of flat land at the Northern end.
I think the idea is to have domestic traffic reduce the ZQN load by some going to WKA. Intl will still go to ZQN as that is the bigger international market. Overall 1/3 might be going to WKA but I would estimate that upwards of 80% of international are going to ZQN while domestic is closer to 50:50 probably 60:40.

While I have no idea on the technical runway stuff, you're 100% right with the markets. ZQN will remain the premier destination and international flights will go there. Some domestic flights will remain there but has the region grows new capacity will go into WKA and some will shift off ZQN and into WKA.

It'll be some time before WKA is up and running, my limited understanding is the actual runway is basically useless as is and needs to be widened, lengthened and strengthened.. but also requires improvements to taxiways, nav systems, actually have lighting installed and correct me if i'm wrong, there's no terminal as such.

Queenstown still has a lot of growth left in her and there are designs for a 30 year master plan..

https://www.queenstownairport.co.nz/masterplan/home

Page 26 onwards
https://www.queenstownairport.co.nz/ass ... ptions.pdf

I actually hope ZQN becomes departure restricted at some point, while as a plane spotter I love watching departures out over the lake if they become over 20-30 minutes till ruin one of New Zealand's most beautiful spots.

NZ516

Thu Aug 29, 2019 12:52 am

PA515 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

Correct. Should have said "only thirteen of fourteen 789s utilised in a 16-22 Dec sample schedule."

PA515

Hi PA515

First time posting here. With regards to comment above it's a bit more complex with the 787 utilisation and changes day to day. I have done a 787 working weekly planner for this Dec.
The 14 strong 787 fleet is nearly fully utilised everyday except for Tuesday and part of Wednesday where one comes back from ICN 1205 and is free till Thursday morning. While one from ORD is free from 0630 on tue to 0955 wed. From Thursday to Monday all 14 are allocated for flying. I expect a weekly maintenance check occurs on tues for two aircraft.
Regards
NZ516

NZAA

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:12 am

DavidByrne wrote:
axio wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:

Eagle still flew this until its closure was announced in 2014

AviatorNZ

Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:12 am

Zkpilot wrote:
AviatorNZ wrote:
tom90 wrote:
Hey a question re the new flight times on NZ between AKL and IVC, I note that the flight leaves at 19:35 hours which is 30 mins after the 19:05 hours cut off for Koru Hour during weekdays. Surely on a 2 hour domestic flight NZ would reconsider this? That is quite a long flight to survive on a cookie and a hot drink / water. Yes I know the carries in USA stretch things a lot longer but hey, we are not the USA.
Anybody know if NZ are planning on more than a "cookie and water" for these flights? I guess ZQN and DUD are pretty similar so they could argue what's the difference...? Just my thoughts and questions.
I noticed the inaugural flight from AKL had plenty to offer on board!!

It should technically be offered on NZ698 IVC-AKL but it isn't.

IVC-AKL is Koru Hour. It’s morning Koru which just means you get a different snack to the usual cookie or chips.

NZ698 isn't sold as a Koru hour flight.

PA515

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:01 am

NZAA wrote:
DavidByrne wrote:
axio wrote:

Eagle still flew this until its closure was announced in 2014

My records are not complete but I have NSN-PMR and NSN-HLZ from 26 Apr 2006 to 24 Dec 2008. There was another attempt at NSN-PMR from 12 Jul 2013 that ended before Feb 2015 which included a Sun Q300 that went CHC-PMR-NSN-PMR-AKL.

PA515

PA515

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:06 am

NZ516 wrote:
PA515 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

PA515

Hi PA515

First time posting here. With regards to comment above it's a bit more complex with the 787 utilisation and changes day to day. I have done a 787 working weekly planner for this Dec.
The 14 strong 787 fleet is nearly fully utilised everyday except for Tuesday and part of Wednesday where one comes back from ICN 1205 and is free till Thursday morning. While one from ORD is free from 0630 on tue to 0955 wed. From Thursday to Monday all 14 are allocated for flying. I expect a weekly maintenance check occurs on tues for two aircraft.
Regards
NZ516

Don't know about that. Where did you get your info from? I used the Air NZ website 'book' function for the week 16-22 Dec 2019.

PA515

DavidByrne

Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:37 am

PA515 wrote:
My records are not complete but I have NSN-PMR and NSN-HLZ from 26 Apr 2006 to 24 Dec 2008. There was another attempt at NSN-PMR from 12 Jul 2013 that ended before Feb 2015 which included a Sun Q300 that went CHC-PMR-NSN-PMR-AKL.

That sounds about right. Thanks. Still surprised it was more than 10 years ago that NSN-HLZ operates though!

PA515

Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:07 am

Re the Wanaka Airport plan. There's some opposition.

Sat 24 August 2019
QLDC runs risk of breaking law: Group
https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/wanaka/ql ... -law-group

Mon 26 August 2019
Queenstown Airport strategy rejected again
https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/queenstow ... cted-again

Will be discussed at the Council's full meeting on 10 October 2019.

PA515

ZK-NBT

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:28 am

NZ516 wrote:
PA515 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:

PA515

Hi PA515

Regards
NZ516

Welcome. I’m no PA515 but OTOH the 789s in the week of DEC 16th long haul are scheduled to, code 2 5 frames should be fairly easy

AKL-YVR x7 2 aircraft
AKL-SIN x7 1
AKL-ORD x5 1.5

Generally they will either do SYD NZ103/4 or NAN while I think ADL will often get the code 2 aircraft.

Code 1 is a little more complex.

AKL-PVG x7 1.5 aircraft
AKL-NRT x7 1
AKL-ICN x5 2 aircraft between ICN/TPE/KIX
AKL-TPE x5
AKL-KIX x3
AKL/CHC-PER x10 2.5 between PER/CHC-SIN
CHC-SIN x5

About 8 frames with a little down time required for the long haul routes, an aircraft could come from NRT at 0900 and do a short haul arriving back to do PVG at 2359.

There is an overnight Friday service to PPT and some afternoon runs to SYD/MEL that arrive back to late to turn around.

NZ516

Thu Aug 29, 2019 8:41 am

PA515[/quote]

Don't know about that. Where did you get your info from? I used the Air NZ website 'book' function for the week 16-22 Dec 2019.

PA515[/quote]

Got it from the inosked had to list them all first then had to put them in a weekly planner to work out the layout of the fleet took about two hours to do one week.

NZ516

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:09 am

ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
PA515 wrote:

PA515

Hi PA515

Regards
NZ516

Welcome. I’m no PA515 but OTOH the 789s in the week of DEC 16th long haul are scheduled to, code 2 5 frames should be fairly easy

AKL-YVR x7 2 aircraft
AKL-SIN x7 1
AKL-ORD x5 1.5

Generally they will either do SYD NZ103/4 or NAN while I think ADL will often get the code 2 aircraft.

AKL-PVG x7 1.5 aircraft
AKL-NRT x7 1
AKL-TPE x5
AKL-KIX x3
CHC-SIN x5

About 8 frames with a little down time required for the long haul routes, an aircraft could come from NRT at 0900 and do a short haul arriving back to do PVG at 2359.

There is an overnight Friday service to PPT and some afternoon runs to SYD/MEL that arrive back to late to turn around.

It certainly is very complex

There is also the APW flight Dx15 which can be done with either the YVR, PVG or ORD arrival. The PPT on Day 1 3 can only be fitted in with the PVG arrive back AKL at 2155 then off again at 2359. The friday PPT flight is the evening dep so puts a spanner in the works.The afternoon arrival back from ICN at 1255 on the 5 days it operates makes a challenge to find a suitable flight to do next. The NZ125 to MEL at 1525 would be ideal candidate but its got the 777 allocated to it. For PVG it takes two frames to do daily plus the shorthaul in between. Lucky the return time from PVG to AKL is nearly the same all week long not like the uneven arrival times previously scheduled. Which increase aircraft availability considerably. There is very little scope to add any more flying this summer.
Lots of work to fit it all together
Regards
NZ516

ZK-NBT

Thu Aug 29, 2019 10:45 am

NZ516 wrote:
ZK-NBT wrote:
NZ516 wrote:

Hi PA515

Regards
NZ516

AKL-YVR x7 2 aircraft
AKL-SIN x7 1
AKL-ORD x5 1.5

AKL-PVG x7 1.5 aircraft
AKL-NRT x7 1
AKL-TPE x5
AKL-KIX x3
CHC-SIN x5

It certainly is very complex

There is also the APW flight Dx15 which can be done with either the YVR, PVG or ORD arrival. The PPT on Day 1 3 can only be fitted in with the PVG arrive back AKL at 2155 then off again at 2359. The friday PPT flight is the evening dep so puts a spanner in the works.The afternoon arrival back from ICN at 1255 on the 5 days it operates makes a challenge to find a suitable flight to do next. The NZ125 to MEL at 1525 would be ideal candidate but its got the 777 allocated to it. For PVG it takes two frames to do daily plus the shorthaul in between. Lucky the return time from PVG to AKL is nearly the same all week long not like the uneven arrival times previously scheduled. Which increase aircraft availability considerably. There is very little scope to add any more flying this summer.
Lots of work to fit it all together
Regards
NZ516

It is interesting the that the 789 is doing quite a few rotations NZ125 to MEL and NZ105 to SYD both afternoon departures, I suppose it comes down to aircraft availability a lot of the time on these routes, particularly the afternoon services.

The 772s look to cover the following OTOH,

AKL-LAX/IAH x 7 2 aircraft
AKL-HKG x7 1
AKL-EZE x5 1.5
AKL-HNL x5 1
AKL-NRT x3 .5
AKL-RAR-SYD x1
AKL-RAR-LAX x1

Then plenty of short haul in between, about 6.5 frames required for long haul.

KIX goes 772 from 29/12 and EZE goes 789 from FEB.

PA515

Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:04 pm

PA515 wrote:
GW54 wrote:
Air NZ A320 ZK-OJB last operated SYD-CHC back on 3 August. Does anyone know if it is undergoing maintenance or has it been withdrawn from service now that A321 NNF is in ssrvice?

Possibly withdrawn. It's the last of three Macquarie Air Finance owned 320s. ZK-OJG and ZK-OJA having already left. However ZK-OJK was out for three weeks 01-22 Jun and resumed flying. One source of info was http://mrcaviation.blogspot.com which closed down today.

PA515

ZK-OJB has not been withdrawn. It resumed flying after being in CHC 03-28 Aug.

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/zk-ojb

PA515

NZ516

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:52 am

I see the NZ97 KIX flight change over is now listed last 789 service is Fri 27 Dec and first 777 service is Sun 29 Dec.
NZ95 also is updated with 777 operating but later departure at 1255 on days 146. While NZ99 remains daily 789.
One week from 3 Nov the AKL to NRT route is 12 flights incl 777-300. The HKG arrival aircraft at 1010 can turnaround and do all 95 and 97 flights.
Good to see the updates finally for the summer season now showing.. Big change later on is 789 to EZE and what route will the 777s do in its place.

The 777-200 fleet is very busy in Dec with all eight in service except for wed when 7 are flying I did a planner to see
Flights per week
AKL HKG 7
AKL LAX 4
AKL IAH 1
AKL EZE 5
AKL NRT 3
AKL KIX 3
AKL HNL 4
AKL RAR 6
AKL RAR LAX 1
AkL RAR SYD 1
AKL TBU 3
AKL SYD 20
AKL MEL 8

NZ6000

Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:25 am

Speaking of Air NZ's schedules, does anyone know how they work?

I've been following the 777-300ER's for the last few months and put them on a spreadsheet but there is no identifiable pattern. I thought they would be on an 8 week cycle or something but it appears random.

nz2

Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:31 am

What about Newman's Air in the 80's? I flew them AKL/CHC once and they stopped on the way in ROT. I believe they also did Queenstown, a great tourist route. Operated I think dash 7's

zkncj

Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:50 am

NZ6000 wrote:

I've been following the 777-300ER's for the last few months and put them on a spreadsheet but there is no identifiable pattern. I thought they would be on an 8 week cycle or something but it appears random.

They work them around MX requirements etc, which allows for last minute changes.

With typically 3x mid-morning departures ex-AKL, they will get dispatched in priority of requirements.

Example an 77W comming in early AM that was meant to go on the Melbourne flight now needs an few minor MX issues, so it’s swapped with the 77W that was going to BNE etc

DavidByrne

Fri Aug 30, 2019 6:20 am

NZ516 wrote:
One week from 3 Nov the AKL to NRT route is 12 flights incl 777-300.

This is tied up with the RWC and assumes (unwisely?) that the All Blacks will make it to the final!

ZK-NBT

Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:13 am

NZ6000 wrote:

While there isn’t an exact pattern the 77W fleet is relatively easy to follow compared to the 772 day which is the same said fleet assuming 8 77W and 8 772. The 77W long haul only regularly does and it does vary depending on heavy maintenance, but typical NW is something like

LAX-LHR x7 3 aircraft
LAX x7 2 aircraft
SFO x7 2 aircraft
IAH x3 1 aircraft

Short haul they generally go to MEL/NAN daily with BNE most days and SYD some days all in the morning returning evening between long hauls sometimes they will pull them from those routes and go to APW/RAR/TBU

Typical 7 day cycle could vary a little but something like
BNE-AKL-LAX-LHR-LAX-AKL-MEL-AKL-SFO-AKL-NAN-AKL-LAX-AKL

Throw in an A check every 4 weeks or so where an aircraft might spend from 0530-2150 on the ground or be on the ground for 2-3 days usually Monday morning till Wednesday or Thursday.

The leased aircraft OKT when fully used usually does NAN-AKL-LAX every 2 days sometimes goes to BNE or SFO instead.

NZ516

Fri Aug 30, 2019 12:00 pm

This NW the 77W fleet is only doing 3 weekly to LAX so can be done by OKT itself on Tues, Fri and Sun. The other 4 days it's operated by the 772.. While IAH is daily 77W which will use two and a solid performing route for Air NZ now.

PA515

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:05 pm

ex Air NZ A320 ZK-OJC did CHC-CNS yesterday as RP-C7937 on delivery to Pan Pacific Airlines (8Y).

http://www.fnqskies.blogspot.com

PA515

PA515

Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:31 pm

nz2 wrote:
What about Newman's Air in the 80's? I flew them AKL/CHC once and they stopped on the way in ROT. I believe they also did Queenstown, a great tourist route. Operated I think dash 7's

Did an AKL-ROT on the Newmans DHC-7 in Oct 1986 in the second row from the front. The first two rows faced each other with the emergency exit between. Was a bit unusual facing other pax, but a pleasant flight.

PA515

ZK-NBT

Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:28 pm

NZ516 wrote:
This NW the 77W fleet is only doing 3 weekly to LAX so can be done by OKT itself on Tues, Fri and Sun. The other 4 days it's operated by the 772.. While IAH is daily 77W which will use two and a solid performing route for Air NZ now.

It depends where you look, things are still being updated. It seems to vary week to week, with OKT often every 2 days so different days each week. IAH is between 3 and 6 77Ws, while NZ5/6 LAX is similar with the odd 772 for both.

NZ516

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:18 am

Indeed it does change around a lot this summer even with 30 wide bodies in service.

Just wondering if we will see the DPS route go year round eventually. As in 2020 season it's running up to 6 per week and can see it daily the year after. The problem will be to find spare 787 capacity in December and January. The Christmas school holidays is peak demand period from Australia to DPS so surely the NZ market would be similar.

ZK-NBT

Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:50 am

NZ516 wrote:
Indeed it does change around a lot this summer even with 30 wide bodies in service.

Just wondering if we will see the DPS route go year round eventually. As in 2020 season it's running up to 6 per week and can see it daily the year after. The problem will be to find spare 787 capacity in December and January. The Christmas school holidays is peak demand period from Australia to DPS so surely the NZ market would be similar.

I doubt DPS will go year round for a while yet, as you say a lack of capacity in December January, additional North/South America and Japan is likely to be much higher yielding.

I’m personally not sure why you would go to DPS in December January, Australia DPS is huge however but even bigger in NS.

NS NZ have several spare frames, heavy maintenance is done and seasonal route like DPS can be run, this year additional SIN etc.

ek714

Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:39 am

TG492 Canceled 30th Aug, HS-TWB parked in the Air NZ maintenance hanger in AKL today... Any info?

NZ516

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:18 am

Regarding NS and NZ having spare capacity and the Japan market more higher yielding.
Could possibly see Osaka go back to operate all year again. Many years ago I remember seeing 767s running both KIX and NRT to CHC during the winter. But I expect the inbound tourism market ex Japan was much larger in the 90s. Be a priority to get AKL flights back up first. I don't see any chance of Japan to CHC flights back again now.

ZK-NBT

Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:17 am

NZ516 wrote:
Regarding NS and NZ having spare capacity and the Japan market more higher yielding.
Could possibly see Osaka go back to operate all year again. Many years ago I remember seeing 767s running both KIX and NRT to CHC during the winter. But I expect the inbound tourism market ex Japan was much larger in the 90s. Be a priority to get AKL flights back up first. I don't see any chance of Japan to CHC flights back again now.

I guess so re KIX, 747s ran some of the NRT-CHC services in winter As well. I could see NH here at some point operating the second NRT in NW, maybe less than daily to AKL with a few days to CHC as well? Although they might be more likely to focus on AKL.

I’d see a third HKG service with NZ/CX in NS eventually once HKG is sorted from the current mess with NZ operating a second flight.

DavidByrne

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:24 am

PA515 wrote:
Did an AKL-ROT on the Newmans DHC-7 in Oct 1986 in the second row from the front. The first two rows faced each other with the emergency exit between. Was a bit unusual facing other pax, but a pleasant flight.

Flew on a Dan-Air BAC 1-11 with a pair of forward/rearward facing seat sets at the emergency exits back in the ‘80s. Does anyone know if this was standard or just a DA thing? Annoying that the seats didn’t recline though.

zkncj

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:58 am

NZ516 wrote:

Could an A320NEO do in off season with an payload restriction?

BI does Brisbane-Brunei with an A320NEO now, which have I understand is 7-8hours.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos