ZK-NBT

Re: New Zealand Aviation Thread - August 2019

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:08 am

zkncj wrote:
NZ516 wrote:
Indeed it does change around a lot this summer even with 30 wide bodies in service.

Just wondering if we will see the DPS route go year round eventually. As in 2020 season it's running up to 6 per week and can see it daily the year after. The problem will be to find spare 787 capacity in December and January. The Christmas school holidays is peak demand period from Australia to DPS so surely the NZ market would be similar.

Could an A320NEO do in off season with an payload restriction?

BI does Brisbane-Brunei with an A320NEO now, which have I understand is 7-8hours.

AKL-DPS is about 9 hrs, no chance, an A321XLR or whatever it’s called might get there, If NZ had a less dense configuration with some J, W maybe.

The longest A320/321 flight for NZ is AKl-CNS I think at 5:40.

NZ516

Sat Aug 31, 2019 12:20 pm

I believe the 320neo would not have the range to do AKL - DPS. If there were 321LRs available however it would be within range. But if you are already filling a 302 seat 789 on the route why would you operate a smaller aircraft. It's like walking away leaving some of the money on the table.

zkncj

Sat Aug 31, 2019 6:32 pm

NZ516 wrote:
I believe the 320neo would not have the range to do AKL - DPS. If there were 321LRs available however it would be within range. But if you are already filling a 302 seat 789 on the route why would you operate a smaller aircraft. It's like walking away leaving some of the money on the table.

It would be for the off-season, when NZ currently doesn’t fly to DPS.

NZ6

Sat Aug 31, 2019 9:54 pm

NZ516 wrote:
Indeed it does change around a lot this summer even with 30 wide bodies in service.

Just wondering if we will see the DPS route go year round eventually. As in 2020 season it's running up to 6 per week and can see it daily the year after. The problem will be to find spare 787 capacity in December and January. The Christmas school holidays is peak demand period from Australia to DPS so surely the NZ market would be similar.

zkncj wrote:
It would be for the off-season, when NZ currently doesn’t fly to DPS.

Between December and March Bali has it's worst weather but it's also when Kiwis are at home at our beaches...

I can't see many families paying $4-$6K for a family holiday to an overcast / rainy beach in Bali when they could spend a week at home for $1,500 in a rented Batch and a tank of gas.

I can't see too many wanting a 9-hour narrow body flight either, especially when there's an EK 777 leaving at a family-friendly time.

I'm surprised Bali is still growing, I thought it would be a 2 or 3-year wonder with limited interest which would die away once the masses had been there and done that. Would love to see it grow to daily, especially around the July school holidays.

It begs the question, is there another winter tropical destination that's yet to be explored?

SGN got axed due to 787 engine issues and it's underwhelming performance but the season wasn't as favourable and Vietnam is a destination as a whole, SGN is just an entry point so you can't exactly compare like for like.

How about something like OGG?

zkncj

Sat Aug 31, 2019 10:20 pm

NZ6 wrote:

I'm surprised Bali is still growing, I thought it would be a 2 or 3-year wonder with limited interest which would die away once the masses had been there and done that. Would love to see it grow to daily, especially around the July school holidays.

With the likes of Fiji getting pretty expensive (both flights and hotels) can see what the the Bali trend is growing.

With it cost sat around $700-800 return to get Fiji at times on an seat only fare, then around $500/night for an semi average hotel with over priced food.

The numbers stack up quickly.

I can do an week in Bali, private villa and return business class tickets, than going to Fiji for an 4 day weekend.

NZ6

Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:08 pm

zkncj wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

With the likes of Fiji getting pretty expensive (both flights and hotels) can see what the the Bali trend is growing.

With it cost sat around $700-800 return to get Fiji at times on an seat only fare, then around $500/night for an semi average hotel with over priced food.

I can do an week in Bali, private villa and return business class tickets, than going to Fiji for an 4 day weekend.

Funny, I had the exact same argument around Fiji a few weeks ago with someone.

I also think the perception of Bali is changing... From the people I've spoken to, many thought it was all like Kuta. Miles or bars full of drunken backpackers which it's obviously not.

I do still wonder though, will we get to the point where people get Bali fatigue? I mean, how many times can you go there before you need or want something new? It's a long way to go, whereas Fiji is only 3 hours away, the weather is stable and the quality of the resorts/service is actually pretty good. S you can rely on getting what you pay for and it's convenient, especially when you can take a 3 hour day flight and leave home / arrive there the same day with no jetlag etc.

DavidByrne

Sun Sep 01, 2019 1:41 am

I’ve wondered about OGG myself - it’s the obvious next option if there’s to be expansion in Hawaii. Assume they have customs and immigration - they are served by AC, but maybe the border checks are done at departure?
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife

jimmyah

Sun Sep 01, 2019 4:56 am

DavidByrne wrote:
I’ve wondered about OGG myself - it’s the obvious next option if there’s to be expansion in Hawaii. Assume they have customs and immigration - they are served by AC, but maybe the border checks are done at departure?

AC flights use US preclearance before departure, but the airport is being upgraded to include customs/immigration.

NTLDaz

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:32 am

NZ6 wrote:
zkncj wrote:
NZ6 wrote:

Funny, I had the exact same argument around Fiji a few weeks ago with someone.

I also think the perception of Bali is changing... From the people I've spoken to, many thought it was all like Kuta. Miles or bars full of drunken backpackers which it's obviously not.

I do still wonder though, will we get to the point where people get Bali fatigue? I mean, how many times can you go there before you need or want something new? It's a long way to go, whereas Fiji is only 3 hours away, the weather is stable and the quality of the resorts/service is actually pretty good. S you can rely on getting what you pay for and it's convenient, especially when you can take a 3 hour day flight and leave home / arrive there the same day with no jetlag etc.

I get what you're saying about Bali fatigue but it doesn't seem to affect the popularity for Australians so I doubt Kiwis would be much different.

NZ516

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:35 am

Bali has become a solid all year round destination. My work mates go there every year and never get tired of it. They end up going out on EK when the NZ flight is not operating.

qf789
Topic Author

Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:37 am

Please continue discussion in New Zealand Aviation Thread - September 2019

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1430451
Forum Moderator

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos