GSPSPOT
Topic Author

DL 4994 CHS-MKE?

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:43 pm

Scanning FR24 as is my wont and noticed DL 4994 on approach to MKE from CHS. It's an E175. Not a sports charter....? Anyone have any insight?
Great Lakes, great life.

KCaviator

Re: DL 4994 CHS-MKE?

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:47 pm

Probably just a repositioning flight after a cancellation.

RetiredNWA

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:57 pm

Why would you not just call the carrier directly or check their website?

alasizon

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:05 am

4980-4999 are ferry flights for OO so it looks like its just a repo.
Manager on Duty & Tower Planner

GSPSPOT
Topic Author

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:05 am

RetiredNWA wrote:

Because 1) I'm not waiting on hold forever and a day and 2) checking the website wouldn't necessarily tell me WHY this flight operated (we don't have scheduled CHS service from MKE).
Great Lakes, great life.

GSPSPOT
Topic Author

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:17 am

alasizon wrote:

Thank you for your useful information!
Great Lakes, great life.

Cubsrule

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:28 am

GSPSPOT wrote:
alasizon wrote:

It looks like the aircraft just “skipped” LGA. There were cancellations of both a CHS-LGA and a LGA-MKE flight. That type of repo isn’t uncommon.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

deltairlines

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:32 am

Cubsrule wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:
alasizon wrote:

It looks like the aircraft just “skipped” LGA. There were cancellations of both a CHS-LGA and a LGA-MKE flight. That type of repo isn’t uncommon.

That makes complete sense - there was a bad set of storms up here in NYC today that hit around 3 pm. 4+ hour delays at all three airports. The plane was probably overnighting in MKE so might as well get the plane there for a fresh start tomorrow.

OccupiedLav

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:22 am

RetiredNWA wrote:

Great idea! It is much more efficient and far less time consuming to call an airline, wait on hold, and then get transferred to another agent that might know something about a one off flight. ***(sarcasm)***

TTailedTiger

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:33 am

Is something going on in CHS? Both of the evening flights for LGA-CHS and JFK-CHS have been canceled.

I was also surprised to see that two of the JFK-CHS flights are mainline. Usually NYC doesn't get mainline to smaller markets.

alasizon

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:35 am

TTailedTiger wrote:
Is something going on in CHS? Both of the evening flights for LGA-CHS and JFK-CHS have been canceled.

I was also surprised to see that two of the JFK-CHS flights are mainline. Usually NYC doesn't get mainline to smaller markets.

The issue is NYC not CHS. WX in NYC

Deltran757

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:38 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

Here in Atlanta, we are experiencing up to 3-6 hours delay flights going to JFK and also LGA. I’m pretty sure EWR is experiencing the same delays.
To see the world... One plane at a time

RetiredNWA

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:41 am

OccupiedLav wrote:
RetiredNWA wrote:

Great idea! It is much more efficient and far less time consuming to call an airline, wait on hold, and then get transferred to another agent that might know something about a one off flight. ***(sarcasm)***

Agents have computers. They can check. You, of course, like most folks on this website miss my point. A regional airplane on a repositioning flight. No big deal, not worthy of a celebratory post.

alasizon

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:49 am

RetiredNWA wrote:
OccupiedLav wrote:
RetiredNWA wrote:

Agents have computers. They can check. You, of course, like most folks on this website miss my point. A regional airplane on a repositioning flight. No big deal, not worthy of a celebratory post.

To be fair, if you call the airline you would likely be calling a reservations agent who would be looking at the reservations side of the house. I'm not sure how it is at DL but at other carriers, repo flights don't show up in the reservations system, only the FOS side of the house which the agent might not have access to. Likewise, agents may not have the operating flight ranges handy for non-revenue flights. I know at my carrier, flight ranges are broken down into two sheets, a quick-glance cheatsheet for RES & frontline personnel with just revenue ranges and then a more technical sheet with all the codeshare, extra sections, charter, etc. flight numbers.

Most people are used to reposition flights being in the 8000/9000 range. There are plenty of times and will continue to be where UA/DL "regular" flight numbers come up as part of discussion because not everyone is aware of their repo/charter ranges. For instance, if I saw UA1357 tomorrow, I wouldn't instinctively think it was a repo since it is such a low flight number yet that flight number is reserved for reposition flights in the UA system.

IPFreely

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:54 am

RetiredNWA wrote:

Agents are also busy with real customers who are trying to get rebooked when operations are melting down and flights are being cancelled. There's no reason to tie up a phone line and an agents time while real passengers wait on hold because you're curious about a routine Delta Connection cancellation/repositioning flight.

CATIIIevery5yrs

Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:16 am

I would have called Skywest dispatch and DEMAND to know what’s going on. Demand I say.

DELTA767-400

Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:51 am

CATlll too funny!

My mate and I actually called American when we were trying to get 837EX in PHL two Septembers ago. There was no major wx at any of their hubs so we gave it a try. The lady on the phone understood why we wanted the retro prob and was helpful. We got some new info out of it! But she was never able to leave SBY.

That being said NWA stop raining on someone's interest in aviation. Its not like its easy to take the plunge and post on such a well formatted board. I wanna be a part of this and it took sometime to get back into it for me.

NWA this is what it says on the top of this board:
"Discussions about factual events happening in the airline and general aviation industries. If it's happening in commercial aviation, you'll get the information and opinions here first."

I see no mention of it needing to be any degree of interest. Just if its happing... And I do think DL4994 was happening or happened and is factual.

We have a pilot shortage. We need to do all we can to get and keep people interested in the hobby. And everybody has a right to know more about the things they are curious about.

The Bearded Spotter

DiamondFlyer

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:27 am

DELTA767-400 wrote:
CATlll too funny!

My mate and I actually called American when we were trying to get 837EX in PHL two Septembers ago. There was no major wx at any of their hubs so we gave it a try. The lady on the phone understood why we wanted the retro prob and was helpful. We got some new info out of it! But she was never able to leave SBY.

That being said NWA stop raining on someone's interest in aviation. Its not like its easy to take the plunge and post on such a well formatted board. I wanna be a part of this and it took sometime to get back into it for me.

"Discussions about factual events happening in the airline and general aviation industries. If it's happening in commercial aviation, you'll get the information and opinions here first."

I see no mention of it needing to be any degree of interest. Just if its happing... And I do think DL4994 was happening or happened and is factual.

We have a pilot shortage. We need to do all we can to get and keep people interested in the hobby. And everybody has a right to know more about the things they are curious about.

The Bearded Spotter

There is no pilot shortage, just a shortage of pilots willing to work for B scale wages (rightfully so).
From my cold, dead hands

DELTA767-400

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:20 am

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/06/17/boeing-ceo-says-global-pilot-shortage-is-one-of-the-biggest-challenges.html

The CEO of Boeing thinks so.

http://www.airforcemag.com/Features/Pages/2019/July%202019/VR-Based-Simulators-Trimmed-Syllabi-How-Vance-is-Meeting-the-Need-for-More-Pilots.aspx

The Air Force is taking steps.

https://www.wearegreenbay.com/news/local-news/young-eagles-program-hopes-to-remedy-the-predicted-pilot-shortage/

Advocacy group AirVenture thinks there is.

"We’re trying to give them an interest in aviation,” he said. “Whether it’s for a career or hobby or just enjoyment.”

"Basically, we can give them a free flight in an airplane,” said O’Lena. “Once that’s done, we’ll get them a log book. And in that log book, they can sign up for a free membership at EAA until they’re 19.”

https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/79539-abx-air-to-curb-pilot-shortage-with-air-cargo-carriers-deal

ABX Air created this for a shortage of 767 pilots.

GLA took their BE1 down to 19 seat before they went under. We got single pilot BE1 coming online. But I think thats enough info for my point.

Now when I search for pilot shortage myth. I get this.

https://www.businessinsider.com/airline-pilots-reveals-truth-myth-pilot-shortage-2017-7

Says what you said about pay, but also makes it clear its a real thing.

https://www.aerotime.aero/oleg.volkov/17145-opinion-pilot-shortage-is-a-myth

3rd link on google an opinion spot. Sounds like an old bitter dude who misses the old days. Also no facts to support his claim. Remember I got the CEO of Boeing, ABX, and the Air Force!!

I do like his 5th point, but I am a globalist.

The Bearded Spotter

CHStraveler

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:19 am

TTailedTiger wrote:

CHS gets fairly regular mainline service to JFK on a 717.

nikeherc

Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:11 pm

CHS gets more service than one might think based on its size. Of course, there are several drivers: tourism; military; international trade; automotive industry; and Boeing.

I guess using the logic of this board, BA should be flying CHS-LHR with a CRJ.
DC6 to 777 and most things in between

jettaknight

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:26 pm

GSPSPOT wrote:
Scanning FR24 as is my wont and noticed DL 4994 on approach to MKE from CHS. It's an E175. Not a sports charter....? Anyone have any insight?

DELTA767-400 wrote:

I see no mention of it needing to be any degree of interest. Just if its happening... And I do think DL4994 was happening or happened and is factual.

As a spotter in the MKE area, this is a tidbit which interests me - not just this specific flight but the fact that this sort of repo isn't unheard of. Thanks for posting GSPSPOT!

(I have a good friend who lives in Taylors, SC. Historically when we've traveled together, I've encouraged her to make the drive to ATL for cheaper fares and more nonstop options. Then in May, I flew through GSP and realized what a nice airport it is! Price will no longer be the only factor in our decisions!)

KCaviator

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:31 pm

I don’t understand the weird obsession with a simple repositioning flight. I’ve repo’d from BUF-MCI, PWM-IAH, etc. It’s not exactly uncommon in the 121 world.

OccupiedLav

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:18 pm

RetiredNWA wrote:

Someone had a question about an aviation related issue, so they created a post on an aviation forum where people discuss aviation related topics. In my mind, that's a good place to start when someone has an aviation related question. Maybe this topic doesn't interest you. If that's the case, you don't have to click on it. It's not like this was an overly obvious topic or one of those stupid April fools posts.

OccupiedLav

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:20 pm

RetiredNWA wrote:

But I do agree, a repositioning flight happens all the time and is not a big deal.

GSPSPOT
Topic Author

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:37 pm

jettaknight wrote:
GSPSPOT wrote:

DELTA767-400 wrote:

I see no mention of it needing to be any degree of interest. Just if its happening... And I do think DL4994 was happening or happened and is factual.

As a spotter in the MKE area, this is a tidbit which interests me - not just this specific flight but the fact that this sort of repo isn't unheard of. Thanks for posting GSPSPOT!

(I have a good friend who lives in Taylors, SC. Historically when we've traveled together, I've encouraged her to make the drive to ATL for cheaper fares and more nonstop options. Then in May, I flew through GSP and realized what a nice airport it is! Price will no longer be the only factor in our decisions!)

We actually lived in Greenville, SC for 13 years before we moved to Dallas, and now Milwaukee
Great Lakes, great life.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos