tys777
Topic Author

Irish 8/19

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:12 am

Please continue your discussion and to post your updates here.

Link to previous thread:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1426047

OA260

Re: Irish 8/19

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:35 am

Thank you for a new thread .

Not long now until the first commercial flight by EI - LRA .

—-

Aer Lingus flight returns to Cork Airport with technical issue

An Aer Lingus flight was forced to return to Cork Airport this evening after the crew reported an issue with one of the jet’s engines shortly after take-off.

Flight EI-888 departed Cork at 6.10pm and was bound for Malaga on the Costa Del Sol in Spain.

www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/irel ... 40857.html

—-

Ryanair has claimed that absenteeism among Dublin Airport security staff is 'shocking'
But operator DAA has strongly rejected the airline’s claims.

RYANAIR HAS CLAIMED that the rate of absenteeism among security personnel at Dublin Airport is “shocking” – something operating company DAA has strongly rejected.

In a submission to the aviation regulator as part of a review of airport charges, the low-cost carrier described the absence rate among security staff last year as “totally unacceptable”, particularly when compared with figures from the UK.

https://fora.ie/dublin-airport-security ... 9-Jul2019/

shamrock350

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:22 pm

A321LR promotional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxWIb-CCD4c

Business:

Economy:

Shamrock350

EI321

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:10 pm

Have to say I really don't like the lime green stripes down the economy seats. Don't like the multicoloured headrest covers either.

The new livery has really grown on me, apart from the small titles.

AmricanShamrok

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:04 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
A321LR promotional video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxWIb-CCD4c

Business:

Economy:

Shamrock350

Very impressive; I like the interiors. Looking forward to trying it out at SNN soon.

OA260

Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:40 am

Aer Lingus to focus on cost efficiencies as profits fall

Airline to offer wifi on short haul flights for the first time after delivery of new aircraft

Aer Lingus is to continue to focus on cost efficiencies and will seek to grow its share of the North Atlantic market after profits dropped by 25 per cent during the first half the year.

Profit at Aer Lingus fell to €78 million in the six months to June 30th, 2019, as compared with €104 million in the same period last year. The figures are contained in the half year results for the airline’s parent IAG, which were published on Friday.

Following publication of the results, Aer Lingus chief executive Sean Doyle described the airline’s performance as “solid in a challenging market”.

“Cost efficiency and productivity improvement are imperative to our overall strategy, allowing us to offer our guests value for money,” he said. “This value carrier focus has delivered significant growth in our business and boosted employment in Aer Lingus.

“We continue to focus on delivering further cost efficiencies for the business in order to improve our competitiveness.

/www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-and-tourism/aer-lingus-to-focus-on-cost-efficiencies-as-profits-fall-1.3975093

BrianDromey

Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:17 am

The video of the LR looks great, EI have clearly spent some money on the CGI, it looks fantastic.

I really like the look of the cabin, particularly Economy. They have moved away from a plain blue or green cover to a more textured grey and I think the lime green is a nice carry through from the storage areas on the business class seat. Someone at EI, or working for them, has really thought about design through the aircraft as a whole, hopefully this attention to aesthetics will continue with the new uniform, any updates to the short-haul cabins and lounges.

Fliplot

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:55 am

Would it not have been a bit if a media coup to have the new uniforms available for the first A32Q flight?

shamrock350

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:30 am

Fliplot wrote:
Would it not have been a bit if a media coup to have the new uniforms available for the first A32Q flight?

No, the new uniform is a big enough milestone to warrant its own event. Always a good idea to spread good news stories throughout the year, that’s just coming from a marketing perspective, it’s even more logical when you consider costs, logistics and resources.

BrianDromey wrote:
The video of the LR looks great, EI have clearly spent some money on the CGI, it looks fantastic.

I noticed that too. The detail on the aircraft exterior is particularly good, so good in fact that whoever did it has gone to the effort of adding dirt around the door frame and the fuselage joins, dirt that doesn’t even exist yet! Kudos to the designer.

Eirules

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:34 am

I noticed that too. The detail on the aircraft exterior is particularly good, so good in fact that whoever did it has gone to the effort of adding dirt around the door frame and the fuselage joins, dirt that doesn’t even exist yet! Kudos to the designer.[/quote]

Maybe as part of their continued drive on costs they’re planning an Air France style effort of never washing the outside of the aircraft and this is preemptive
The way you cut your meat reflects the way you live....

OA260

Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:22 pm

Good news for those of us who use EI to LGW :

Gatwick adds "faster" domestic arrivals route with biometric gates

London Gatwick Airport has opened a new facility for travellers arriving from the UK and Ireland which it says will allow a faster and more convenient exit.

The route through the South Terminal will see passengers disembark the aircraft from a jetty or steps and head straight into the terminal building before being screened at biometric gates.

Previously, arrivals from parts of the UK, the Channel Islands and the Republic of Ireland had to be coached from their aircraft to a special baggage reclaim area to ensure segregation from international passengers, in line with immigration policies.

A new dedicated baggage reclaim belt has also been installed.

Gatwick said it would benefit passengers arriving with Aurigny from Guernsey; British Airways from Glasgow, Edinburgh and Jersey; Aer Lingus from Dublin and Knock; and Ryanair from Cork, Shannon and Dublin.

www.businesstraveller.com/business-trav ... ric-gates/

ClassicLover

Fri Aug 02, 2019 12:39 pm

OA260 wrote:
Good news for those of us who use EI to LGW :

Previously, arrivals from parts of the UK, the Channel Islands and the Republic of Ireland had to be coached from their aircraft to a special baggage reclaim area to ensure segregation from international passengers, in line with immigration policies.

http://www.businesstraveller.com/busine ... ric-gates/

That explains what happened when I last went through Gatwick in July. The crew announced we would be deplaning onto a bus, but we didn't... straight into the terminal, straight past a dedicated baggage carousel and then on and out of the airport. I don't even remember the biometrics - I don't think I was scanned at all. All I remember is that it was damned fast, and I was thinking that while it was happening.

Really good to hear!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

OA260

Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:41 pm

Ryanair ordered to repay €8.5m in illegal aid

The European Union has ordered France to recover €8.5m from Ryanair which it said the airline had received in illegal state aid to use Montpellier airport.

The European Commission opened an investigation last year to determine whether Ryanair had received such aid from a tourism association in southern France.

The investigation showed the association APFTE made payments that "gave Ryanair an unfair and selective advantage over its competitors and harmed other regions and regional airports," competition commisioner Margrethe Vestager said in a statement.

www.rte.ie/news/business/2019/0802/1066624-ryanair/

opticalilyushin

Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:57 pm

Does anyone know if Ethiopian will offer DUB-BRU tickets after it drops the Madrid connection in October? I'm flying on the service to Jo'burg in J earlier that month, looking forward to the experience

BrianDromey

Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:56 pm

Were they really that short of numbers in the EI 1nn range? If I remember the EInn range used to be BHD but were changed a while back.

321neo

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:51 am

Thoughts on EI’s A321LR interior? IMHO the economy seat looks better than on their newest A330s..

https://imgur.com/PKpxKtt

https://imgur.com/0z1zouB

kaitak

Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:24 pm

Speaking of EI interiors , I'm just back from FAO. Had 'EDY going out and 'FNH coming back . A friend , who's quite tall, noticed a difference in seat pitch & also the movies available on IFE (much fewer on !FNH) - don't know if this is specific to the FAO flight but 'EDY on the way down had the full range of movies available.

Also, 42 minutes from touchdown to arriving on stand .

Just wondering why EI has different IFE & seat pitch on two acft in its fleet . Why not have consistency?

And 30" seat pitch on the new A331LRs? Why?!!

wexfordflyer

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:56 pm

kaitak wrote:
Speaking of EI interiors , I'm just back from FAO. Had 'EDY going out and 'FNH coming back . A friend , who's quite tall, noticed a difference in seat pitch & also the movies available on IFE (much fewer on !FNH) - don't know if this is specific to the FAO flight but 'EDY on the way down had the full range of movies available.

Also, 42 minutes from touchdown to arriving on stand .

Just wondering why EI has different IFE & seat pitch on two acft in its fleet . Why not have consistency?

And 30" seat pitch on the new A331LRs? Why?!!

Did you go out in July and back in August? I'm assuming that would explain the difference in IFE?
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

kaitak

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:22 pm

No, not really. 'FNH today only had a VERY limited selection of movies - all Irish and relatively short. I did enjoy the first two episodes of Dr. Who with Jodie Whittaker, but the movie selection was very limited and I don't thin they'd have offered that selection on t/a flights.

shamrock350

Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:52 pm

First photo in the database of EI-LRA at Bradley;

Shamrock350

Eagleboy

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:30 am

kaitak wrote:
No, not really. 'FNH today only had a VERY limited selection of movies - all Irish and relatively short. I did enjoy the first two episodes of Dr. Who with Jodie Whittaker, but the movie selection was very limited and I don't thin they'd have offered that selection on t/a flights.

EI have changed their IFE selection from Thursday.
Intra Europe flights will have a greatly reduced choice to reduce licensing fees.

As for seat pitch, different seats. Doesnt FNG/FNH have those fold out tray tables rather than the older drop down full tray table.

321neo

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:30 pm

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status/1157958569804869633?s=20

A321LR now commencing the DUB-LHR run from 1 October

OA260

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:42 pm

Headwinds of the future could spell trouble for Aer Lingus

Aer Lingus is probably safe under the wing of IAG, but it needs to change course soon

www.businesspost.ie/business/headwinds- ... gus-449380

Pintman

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:28 am

Hello all,

Long time observer, first time poster! Just a quick one for ye, I will be having the pleasure of flying into CFN for the first time in a couple of weeks and was wondering what would be deemed the best side of the aircraft to sit on in order to get the best of the fine views, or is it all so good that it doesn’t matter? TIA

fathernewman

Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:52 am

OA260 wrote:
Headwinds of the future could spell trouble for Aer Lingus

Aer Lingus is probably safe under the wing of IAG, but it needs to change course soon

http://www.businesspost.ie/business/hea ... gus-449380

Tried clicking on the article however it cannot be read without subscription. Could you tell what it’s saying?

ClassicLover

Re:

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:32 am

Pintman wrote:
Hello all,

Long time observer, first time poster! Just a quick one for ye, I will be having the pleasure of flying into CFN for the first time in a couple of weeks and was wondering what would be deemed the best side of the aircraft to sit on in order to get the best of the fine views, or is it all so good that it doesn’t matter? TIA

Welcome, welcome!

I went to CFN and wrote about it here - https://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/scenic-views-donegal-airport/ - plus there's a video of it.

However, I can't remember which was the best side for the views, even though I reference in my article that I was on "the wrong side" for my landing. It's a nice part of the world up there, with the beach right by the airport. I stayed in a hotel that was walking distance from the airport, so I walked to and from. Very pretty!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

JAmie2k9

Re:

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:16 pm

Pintman wrote:
Hello all,

I have not taken the flight but think the left side is a little better however weather on the day will play a part.

Fliplot

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:04 pm

Can EI continue to increase transatlatic seevices and not increase the european feed?
It would be great to see some new european destunations!
I note recently a Stobart jet being used on some EI AMS services, billed as EI Regional - is this the future?

Pintman

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:51 pm

JAmie2k9 wrote:

I have not taken the flight but think the left side is a little better however weather on the day will play a part.

ClassicLover wrote:

Welcome, welcome!

I went to CFN and wrote about it here - https://travelupdate.boardingarea.com/scenic-views-donegal-airport/ - plus there's a video of it.

However, I can't remember which was the best side for the views, even though I reference in my article that I was on "the wrong side" for my landing. It's a nice part of the world up there, with the beach right by the airport. I stayed in a hotel that was walking distance from the airport, so I walked to and from. Very pretty!

Perfect, cheers for the advice. Indeed weather will no doubt play a part, sure if it’s poor visibility it’ll be an excuse to return!

OA260

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:34 am

Aer Lingus issues apology to customers after airline's website went down for 'essential maintenance'

Both the App and website have been affected by the same issue

Aer Lingus has apologised for an 'issue' which caused its website to go offline for several hours on Monday.

Passengers took to social media expressing their concern with the website reportedly out of action since 12pm.

www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/aer- ... k-18836736

—-

Ryanair investors ‘highly sceptical’ of air fares rebound
Deutsche Bank analysts expect Ryanair to see its fares per passenger decline 3% for the full year

Investors in Ryanair, whose stock has fallen almost 15 per cent so far this year, are “highly sceptical” about the carrier’s ability to deliver a rebound in fares in the second six months of its financial year to the end of next March, after a weak first-half, according to analysts in Deutsche Bank.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... 2?mode=amp

—-

Irish airlines vs DAA: Battle lines drawn over price of progress at Dublin Airport

COMMISSIONER for Aviation Regulation Cathy Mannion may require the wisdom of Solomon as she weighs the toughest decision of her tenure: the price of progress at Dublin Airport.

Battle lines have been starkly drawn this month between DAA on the one side and the main Irish airlines, Ryanair and Aer Lingus, on the other.

Both camps are openly lobbying to win the argument over whether to raise or reduce the fees charged per passenger at Ireland's strategic travel hub, Dublin, where a record 31.5 million people arrived in 2018, and traffic is already running 6pc higher this year, pushing capacity ever nearer its limits.

https://m.independent.ie/business/irish ... 77279.html

kaitak

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:37 am

Fliplot wrote:
Can EI continue to increase transatlatic seevices and not increase the european feed?
It would be great to see some new european destunations!
I note recently a Stobart jet being used on some EI AMS services, billed as EI Regional - is this the future?

There is a Stobart aircraft used by KLM; don't know if this also carries an EI code. Other than that, not sure if EI has actually used an Embraer to AMS.

I think the time will come when EI will have to look at its short haul fleet, but it can't be seen in isolation, because other carriers also operate for it - Stobart/Cityjet. The question might well be asked - is the A320 too big an aircraft for its short haul routes? Might it be better to operate a smaller type to add new markets and also, to increase frequency on s/h routes. Then, on top of that, you have scope clauses - would IALPA accept more ops by the likes of WX?

With the recent merger of Cityjet and Air Nostrum, I suspect that there will be changes afoot; at the very least, WX will be gunning for some of Stobart's feeder service (the current ATR ops).

Eagleboy

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:33 am

I think it seems quite bizarre that at a time when congestion space are causing issues at Dublin airport the 2 major customers are demanding to pay less. I can understand a viewpoint that current charges may not be getting used correctly. But I cant see how a reduction in passengers charges is going to improve things for either airline (especially with EI planning a 50% increase in their transatlantic airframes)
Perhaps the airlines are angling to get a place at the DAA decision making table?

OA260

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:41 am

Irish father’s ashes lost by Aer Lingus after trip from Australia

Family has funeral ceremony planned for tomorrow for Sam Gilmour from Co Antrim

An Irish emigrant who has travelled home from Australia to scatter the ashes of his father and mother was in limbo on Tuesday after Aer Lingus lost his bags and – with them – the remains of his parents.

www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-n ... 8?mode=amp

bhxalex

Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:03 pm

kaitak wrote:

With the recent merger of Cityjet and Air Nostrum, I suspect that there will be changes afoot; at the very least, WX will be gunning for some of Stobart's feeder service (the current ATR ops).

Its about time DUB-EDI, MAN & BHX received all jet service. FR are up to 6 daily at MAN & BHX from DUB. Surely the ATRs aren't competitive, especially with EI having slightly fewer frequencies. CR9/CRKs would be a perfect balance between the current regional fleet and the 320s.

Save the ATRs for CWL, IOM, NQY, NCL etc and maybe new routes like INV, LPL, EMA, EXT?

Fliplot

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:50 pm

Stobart are operating for KLM on the DUB-AMS route. But according to the DAA online flight arrivals/departures, stobart are also operating for EI on the same route and not a code share!

I am forever amused by union contrived issues - scope clauses! Such a load of crap! The ATR is a fine aircraft but at times too small.

The regulators job is easier than imagined! If the charges are reduced then she should by law ensure the changes are passed on, otherwise it will simply be a positive bottom line adjustment for the airlines. Equally if the DAA is unable to upgrade its assets because of balance sheet constraints, the government should acquire them as state assets. This would free up the DAA to better manage its business
Only down side would be.an increased involvment.by the Minister for Transport - the most useless and backward thinking man in the position for a long time!!

EI321

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:25 pm

Fliplot wrote:
Only down side would be.an increased involvment.by the Minister for Transport - the most useless and backward thinking man in the position for a long time!!

The sooner Ross is gone the better, one of the worst ministers in years. Won't be more than a year hopefully. I wouldnt be surprised if he looses his seat at the next GE. There was supposed to be a decision on a third terminal this year but I assume that promise has evaporated.

EI321

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:41 pm

kaitak wrote:

Those Avros will need serious consideration for a replacent soon since the SSJ operation fell through. Air nostroms CRJ-1000s are an ideal size at 100 seats and have exceptional CASM figures but I dont think they can operate out of London City. A cityjet CRJ-900 might be a suitable alternative although I'd prefer to see the A220 in the Aer Lingus fleet as it's range would make it ideal for new routes further east and possible new routes that can't support an A320.

An outside contender could be the Air France fleet of A318s which will be leaving the fleet soon on the arrival of A220s, very high CASM but these aircraft would be dirt cheap (probably only $3-5m each) to acquire and this is cityjet after all, they have an unusual fleet acquisition history to say the least.

A Stobart E-190 operation into LCY might also be a contender when the cityjet contract comes up.

alancostello

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:43 pm

EI321 wrote:
kaitak wrote:

Those Avros will need serious consideration for a replacent soon since the SSJ operation fell through. Air nostroms CRJ-1000s are an ideal size at 100 seats and have exceptional CASM figures but I dont think they can operate out of London City. A cityjet CRJ-900 might be a suitable alternative although I'd prefer to see the A220 in the Aer Lingus fleet as it's range would make it ideal for new routes further east and possible new routes that can't support an A320.

An outside contender could be the Air France fleet of A318s which will be leaving the fleet soon on the arrival of A220s, very high CASM but these aircraft would be dirt cheap (probably only $3-5m each) to acquire and this is cityjet after all, they have an unusual fleet acquisition history to say the least.

A Stobart E-190 operation into LCY might also be a contender when the cityjet contract comes up.

No CRJ type is certified to fly at LCY, I believe they need a much longer runway than equivalent capacity E-Jets do. BA does use a single A318 at LCY however is has higher-rated engines that facilitate take off as well as updates to allow the steep approach, I don't think standard AF A318s would have these adaptations (I don't believe they ever operated to LCY). Of course this is just for LCY, they may look at a variety of aircraft including the CRJs for non-LCY routes.

The likely Avro replacements are some of the many E-Jets that are being disposed of, JetBlue as an example will soon be replacing their entire fleet with A220s. A220s are much larger, even the -100, than the RJ85s, and any attempts to operate them for EI would likely cause problems with the mainline pilot and crew unions, let alone the substantial capital acquisition costs which CityJet won't be pursuing (the only reason they took the SSJ was that they got an insane deal on it).

Fliplot

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:49 pm

It is a sad reflection when a union or unions can decide the future of an organisation, especially when that union represents 12% or 13% of the total work force!

alancostello

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:44 pm

Fliplot wrote:
It is a sad reflection when a union or unions can decide the future of an organisation, especially when that union represents 12% or 13% of the total work force!

They are hardly deciding the future of the organisation, in this specific example they are ensuring that the well trained and experienced pilots of Aer Lingus are not undercut by another company operating a jet in EI colours and titles with similar capacity as their own, if Aer Lingus want A220s then they can buy them themselves and use their own pilots.

The whole purpose of Stobart and CityJet operating some EI routes is because the routes are either not operable or not profitable through EI's mainline fleet, either because

1) the route can't sustain an A320 worth of passengers (so an ATR is sent)
2) higher frequency is valued over higher capacity (many of the Stobart operated UK routes with multiple daily frequencies, MAN, EDI, etc)
3) An A320 can't land at LCY, so CityJet operates the RJ85

Stobart and CityJet are NOT there to operate routes that can be/are operated by EI mainline, they have specific niches that are operated by their specifically suitable aircraft.

Fliplot

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:16 am

Thank you for rhe lesson in operational evonomics! Though i had worked it out myself!

Your comments could have been written by Evan Cullen himself! EI havw never been sucessful at operating small prop aircraft them selves - there are many examples to confirm this, even RJ85/146 aircraft

Its unusual that you think the pilots of Stobart, cityjet and ASL ate somehow less talented than EI pilits especially wgen EI pilits are flying Cityjet and ASL aircraft!

If the pilots of EI apply scope clauses then they are effecting the future of the airline!

eidvm

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:25 am

Fliplot wrote:
Thank you for rhe lesson in operational evonomics! Though i had worked it out myself!

Your comments could have been written by Evan Cullen himself! EI havw never been sucessful at operating small prop aircraft them selves - there are many examples to confirm this, even RJ85/146 aircraft

Its unusual that you think the pilots of Stobart, cityjet and ASL ate somehow less talented than EI pilits especially wgen EI pilits are flying Cityjet and ASL aircraft!

If the pilots of EI apply scope clauses then they are effecting the future of the airline!

Well let’s put the question the other way around then, what reasons do you have to believe that EI pilots, cabin crew and engineers would not be able to fly, operate and maintain the A220 / E-Jets for Aer Lingus? Why do you think it needs to be outsourced to another company?

As long as there’s a critical mass of aircraft reached, why do you think it would be better to outsource the work rather than keeping the work, service and profits all in house?

eidvm

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:36 am

eidvm wrote:
Fliplot wrote:

Well let’s put the question the other way around then, what reasons do you have to believe that EI pilots, cabin crew and engineers would not be able to fly, operate and maintain the A220 / E-Jets for Aer Lingus? Why do you think it needs to be outsourced to another company?

As long as there’s a critical mass of aircraft reached, why do you think it would be better to outsource the work rather than keeping the work, service and profits all in house?

Further to that point Air France has just placed a large order for A220 aircraft all to be operated by mainline pilots and cabin crew and Swiss and United Airlines also have A220 aircraft already in their fleets, all operated by mainline pilots and cabin crew with other airlines such as Jet Blue and Air Canada also having ordered them for operation by mainline pilots and cabin crew, none of these airlines have decided to outsource this flying as the aircraft as practically as big as an A319.

Further to that, Jet Blue also operates the E-Jets in house as well by their own pilots and crews.

I don’t understand why you feel that Aer Lingus should be outsourcing this to other airlines? What makes Aer Lingus so different from the rest of these airlines that they shouldn’t operate smaller jets themselves when arguably their costs are already considerably lower than many of these other airlines?

alancostello

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:47 am

Fliplot wrote:

Your original comment didn't seem particularly well informed so you can hardly blame me for trying to enlighten you. I never made any suggestion as to the training level of Stobart nor CityJet pilots, and I never mentioned ASL at all (the secondment agreement was a temporary measure as you apparently must know, as you evidently have worked it all out for yourself).

CityJet and Stobart perform a useful and specific role in EI's operations, I don't see them going anywhere nor should they. However, I don't understand why you feel it's necessary for additional roles beyond those mentioned in my previous post to be contracted out to other companies by Aer Lingus, the A220 is not a small aircraft and not in the same league as ATRs/RJ85s or even the EJets(all sub-100 seats).

The A220 is equivalent to the A319 with 145 seats in all-economy layout, which was my original point, and there is no need nor rational reason for Stobart/CityJet or any third party to operate these planes when EI are more than capable of doing so.

Pinto

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:57 am

eidvm wrote:
eidvm wrote:
Fliplot wrote:

Further to that point Air France has just placed a large order for A220 aircraft all to be operated by mainline pilots and cabin crew and Swiss and United Airlines also have A220 aircraft already in their fleets, all operated by mainline pilots and cabin crew with other airlines such as Jet Blue and Air Canada also having ordered them for operation by mainline pilots and cabin crew, none of these airlines have decided to outsource this flying as the aircraft as practically as big as an A319.

Further to that, Jet Blue also operates the E-Jets in house as well by their own pilots and crews.

I don’t understand why you feel that Aer Lingus should be outsourcing this to other airlines? What makes Aer Lingus so different from the rest of these airlines that they shouldn’t operate smaller jets themselves when arguably their costs are already considerably lower than many of these other airlines?

United does not have any A220s nor do they have any orders for them

kaitak

Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:14 am

Pinto wrote:
eidvm wrote:
eidvm wrote:

United does not have any A220s nor do they have any orders for them

It's Delta, not United, that operates the A220.

OA260

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:33 am

Belfast City Airport in 100% green energy deal

Belfast City Airport has announced a new deal with Electric Ireland to power the transport hub with 100% renewable energy.

The airport said the agreement will see Electric Ireland supply approximately 5.2 million kWh of energy for the 2.5 million passengers who use the terminal every year.

Chris Horner, the airport's capital projects and engineering manager, said: "The environment has always been a key consideration to our growth strategy.

"This partnership further supports our commitment to implement policies that minimise waste and maximise efficiency."

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/nor ... 79748.html

---

Shannon celebrating 10 years of US Preclearance

Shannon Airport is celebrating the 10th anniversary of the introduction of US preclearance services at Shannon.

Established at the airport on August Bank Holiday weekend 2009, Shannon was the first airport in Europe and the Middle East to offer this service, which allows passengers bound for the US to preclear agriculture, customs and immigration controls at Shannon and arrive in the US as a domestic passenger, removing any further processing stateside and saving them considerable time as a result in particular for onward connections. For the airlines it opened up the use of both domestic gates and terminals for these flights.

The first airlines to use Shannon Airport in the early days of US preclearance in 2009 were US Airways (now American Airlines), Continental (now United Airlines), Delta, Aer Lingus and British Airways.

http://clareherald.com/2019/08/shannon- ... nce-10010/

---

Ryanair pilots’ strike ballot results expected this week

Two unions submitted separate play claims at different times to the airline

Holidaymakers will learn this week if they face possible disruption when the results of two separate Ryanair pilots’ strike ballots become known.

Directly employed members of the Irish Airline Pilots’ Association (Ialpa)– part of trade union Fórsa – and its British equivalent at Ryanair are separately balloting on industrial action up to and including strikes in disputes over pay.

The British Airline Pilots’ Association (Balpa) will complete its ballot and announce the result today, Wednesday August 7th, while the Irish vote will finish on Friday, when the outcome will also be known.

If the members of both unions vote in favour of industrial action, there is likely to be some time before either group strikes or takes other steps.

www.irishtimes.com/business/transport-a ... -1.3978921

Fliplot

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:01 am

Interesting indeed
All the carriers you mentioned (AF, DL, AC, LX and B6) are all multiple sizes bigger than EI. At no stage have i said that EI should not operate E-Jets or the A220. However they would require a realistic fleet to make the operation work - 10 to 15 aircraft. A cost of €1.5b to €2b plus! I guess the question for EI is when considering fleet renewal for regional services do they buy or do they conyract? And that decision should not be made soley on scope clauses!

alancostello

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:59 pm

Fliplot wrote:
Interesting indeed
All the carriers you mentioned (AF, DL, AC, LX and B6) are all multiple sizes bigger than EI. At no stage have i said that EI should not operate E-Jets or the A220. However they would require a realistic fleet to make the operation work - 10 to 15 aircraft. A cost of €1.5b to €2b plus! I guess the question for EI is when considering fleet renewal for regional services do they buy or do they conyract? And that decision should not be made soley on scope clauses!

Im not sure what relative size of an airline has to do with any of this? If CityJet or Stobart buy 10-15 EJets used it won’t be anything even close to a billion dollars, they’d probably get 10 of them for under 150-200 million. Even a new E190 is 50 million for reference, so you’ve tripled to quadrupled the price you worked out there.

Back to the actual point, what has been said time and time again is that the A220 is not a regional aircraft, that was what was being discussed when you declared that unions are ruining the future of the company.

If the regional ops are replaced by other regional planes (E-Jets included) then the scope clauses won’t factor in to the decision.

Fliplot

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:40 pm

Check your math again!
The A220 can be what ever the airlines choose it to be!
I only ever said that the unions should not determine the future of an airline and if EI is making any decision based on scope clauses, then the union is determining the future of the airline!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos