cessna2
Topic Author

DL closing NRT. Suspends NRT-SIN, Announces ICN-MNL

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:48 am

Delta will transfer our full operation of U.S.-Tokyo services from Narita to Haneda, the city's closest and most convenient airport. With this move, we will become the largest U.S. carrier serving Haneda, with seven daily flights between Haneda and Seattle, Detroit, Atlanta, Honolulu, Minneapolis, Los Angeles and Portland, Ore. These services will begin with the summer 2020 IATA flying season.

With our Narita-U.S. flights moving to Haneda, and no possibility of acquiring HND-Asia slots, effective March 2020, we will suspend our Manila service from Narita and launch new daily ICN-MNL service on Delta metal.

Serving MNL through ICN will allow us to take advantage of traffic from our four daily Delta-metal flights to Seoul as well as from our Korean Air JV partnership. Currently, Delta is the only U.S. carrier to offer one-stop same-metal service from the U.S. mainland to MN.

We will suspend service to Singapore effective September 22, 2019. NRT-SIN service has been under financial pressure for years as direct U.S. to Singapore capacity has continued to grow from entrenched local carriers that have strong brand loyalty and alliance partnerships. Delta customers can continue to reach Singapore through ICN via our partnership with Korean Air.
Last edited by qf789 on Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Updated title

grbauc

Re: DL closing NRT. Suspends NRT-SIN, Announces ICN-MNL

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:55 am

Well many have been saying and predicting it... Sad end to a part of history gone..

Sydscott

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:56 am

Hardly surprising and a natural ending to DL's NRT operation.

x1234

Thu Aug 01, 2019 4:59 am

The SIN end is not surprising with SQ starting SIN-SEA in a couple of months. I find DL saying MNL is higher yielding than we thought surprising. I guess they went with the cheapest operating cost option of running probably a 763ER ICN-MNL instead of launching which what would be revolutionary A339neo SEA-MNL.

x1234

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:03 am

Also ICN-MNL is only 3.5 hours flying time so if they can make it a turn with a single crew (instead of laying over in MNL) it'd reduce their costs.

SCFlyer

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:04 am

SEA-MNL would probably lack the premium demand to at least cover expenses for a non-stop. May have been cheaper for DL to continue offering one stop service with the lower yields.

Ishrion

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:09 am

Is there a news release or is this internal information?

ctrabs0114

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:10 am

How are they able to offer the ICN-MNL leg? Are there fifth-freedom issues involved with this segment?
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

Akiestar

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:20 am

Air travel between the Philippines and South Korea is booming, so DL launching ICN-MNL is very exciting. KE currently flies to MNL twice daily, and a third departure would be beneficial for connections. I can see DL keeping the existing NRT schedule (departing MNL in the morning, while returning late afternoon), which would help fill gaps in KE's current schedule as they don't serve either time slot.

That said, I'll believe it when I see an official announcement.

ctrabs0114 wrote:
How are they able to offer the ICN-MNL leg? Are there fifth-freedom issues involved with this segment?

The Philippines and South Korea had just signed a new ASA, increasing seats to 28,000 weekly. This is up from 20,000 weekly in the ASA signed between the two countries two years ago.

I can't find the text of the PH-KR ASA but I imagine fifth freedom rights are covered as the Philippines has been keen on adding them to its ASAs in recent years.
Last edited by Akiestar on Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ITB

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:23 am

Sad that NRT is no longer a hub, as it served NW well for so many years. HND does have certain advantages versus NRT, mainly that it is closer to the prime business districts of the Tokyo-Yokohama region. But the more important factors were likely the high costs of operating at NRT and the lack of a SkyTeam partner airline in Japan for intra-Japan and inter-Asia flights.

qf789

Re: Unconfirmed: DL closing NRT. Suspends NRT-SIN, Announces ICN-MNL

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:25 am

Title has been changed to unconfirmed and will remain that way until a source is provided. Just a reminder if you are stating factual information to provide a source as stated in forum rules
Forum Moderator

mercure1

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:29 am

SIN must have been a financial disaster for DL being cut with mere 7 weeks notice, not even operated till end of IATA S19 season.

I am sure UA will be pleased to hear the news.
mercure f-wtcc

SierraPacific

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:33 am

The mighty Narita hub has died. It's sad not to be able to take Delta metal very far in Asia anymore like back in the good old days but I am still so excited to see that Delta isn't pulling out of flying 5th freedom flying entirely.

ITB

Re: Rumor: DL closing NRT. Suspends NRT-SIN, Announces ICN-MNL

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:35 am

Have to admit DL no longer serving Singapore, an Alpha+ world city ranked No. 5 in the Global Power Index, is concerning. That BKK was dropped a few years back, and SGN is not even on the radar, is unsettling. What's next? MNL? Let's hope ICN-MNL is successful.

c933103

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:42 am

Is there any Japan - Micronesia flights on Delta remaining?
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.

x1234

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:44 am

Singapore was the ORIGINAL Alpha+ Global City in Asia starting in the 70s and 80s due to British colonization and globalization. Northwest started Singapore in the 1980s before mass travel began. Man I am getting old! UA is selling OUT on their 2x daily SFO-SIN flights due to the massive O&D and connecting demand between Singapore & the USA and mind you this is the OLD Polaris seats 2-2-2. SQ is really expensive on the non-stops and you have the usual Asian competitors. I guess UA now will be happy with their yield premium.

x1234

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:45 am

c933103, No DL a few years ago cut the Japan-GUM/SPN flights.

Ishrion

Re: Rumor: DL closing NRT. Suspends NRT-SIN, Announces ICN-MNL

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:48 am

ITB wrote:
Have to admit DL no longer serving Singapore, an Alpha+ world city ranked No. 5 in the Global Power Index, is concerning. That BKK was dropped a few years back, and SGN is not even on the radar, is unsettling. What's next? MNL? Let's hope ICN-MNL is successful.

Why exactly is that so concerning? Delta has no feed at SIN. United couldn’t make LAX-SIN work and moved the frequency to SFO.

Don’t forget about the existing competition on the route. ANA uses 789/10s, JL uses 772s, and SQ uses an A380 and 77W.

There’s zero confirmation that this announcement is true, although it will be expected that SIN becomes a victim of DL’s NRT cuts.

hoons90

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:54 am

Even if it's technically unconfirmed, everyone should have seen the writing on the wall (regarding DL closing NRT) when the HND slot allocations were announced. Not really necessary to be skeptical about this...
The biggest mistake made by most human beings: Listening to only half, understanding just a quarter and telling double.

x1234

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:56 am

lshrion, UA couldn’t make the B789 work on LAX-SIN was NOT due to market conditions (they were selling out Polaris too) but the fact that in the winter they had to block too many Y seats to make the flight non-stop when they could maximize the revenue in SFO and block significantly less seats. LAX-SIN westbound was on the edge of the B789’s range. Also Singapore is the Switzerland of Asia and very important to DLs banking/finance customers and will now have to connect onto KE with crappy no direct aisle access 2-2-2 config. What a downgrade and there’s no point in staying on DL when you can pay $10-15k and fly SQ nonstop.

mattnrsa

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:02 am

How long will seven flights to HND last on DL? They said in the past that NRT yields were challenging with no alliance feed, so I’m not sure how HND would be different.

HND is the preferred airport but seven flights is a lot. Are there any other international non SkyTeam hub cities with that much DL presence?

It could be argued that the size of Tokyo merits additional flights, but with that reasoning the size of HKG and SIN should allow for at least one flight to those cities too.

Ishrion

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:05 am

mattnrsa wrote:
How long will seven flights to HND last on DL? They said in the past that NRT yields were challenging with no alliance feed, so I’m not sure how HND would be different.

HND is the preferred airport but seven flights is a lot. Are there any other international non SkyTeam hub cities with that much DL presence?

It could be argued that the size of Tokyo merits additional flights, but with that reasoning the size of HKG and SIN should allow for at least one flight to those cities too.

LHR?

usdcaguy

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:06 am

Not surprising at all. KE will function for DL in Asia like AF/KL/VS function in Europe. DL wants to fly as little as possible with its own metal and instead use partners to fly beyond only the largest business markets. Not sexy as far as route maps are concerned but more lucrative I suppose. Feel sorry for all the DL people based at NRT having to deal with the changes.

panamair

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:06 am

x1234 wrote:
I guess they went with the cheapest operating cost option of running probably a 763ER ICN-MNL instead of launching which what would be revolutionary A339neo SEA-MNL.

ICN-MNL won’t be with a 763ER since there won’t be any DL 763ERs into ICN by March 2020..

DTW-ICN is an A359
SEA-ICN will be an A339
MSP-ICN is a 777
ATL-ICN is an A359

So ICN-MNL will be one of the above...
Frankly I am quite pleasantly surprised they will continue flying their own metal into MNL, thought for sure that both MNL and SIN would be gone once NRT transitions to HND.
Last edited by panamair on Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ishrion

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:08 am

x1234 wrote:
lshrion, UA couldn’t make the B789 work on LAX-SIN was NOT due to market conditions (they were selling out Polaris too) but the fact that in the winter they had to block too many Y seats to make the flight non-stop when they could maximize the revenue in SFO and block significantly less seats. LAX-SIN westbound was on the edge of the B789’s range. Also Singapore is the Switzerland of Asia and very important to DLs banking/finance customers and will now have to connect onto KE with crappy no direct aisle access 2-2-2 config. What a downgrade and there’s no point in staying on DL when you can pay $10-15k and fly SQ nonstop.

I thought Korean Air has the 2-2-2 Apex Suites which allow for direct aisle access?

mattnrsa

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:14 am

Ishrion wrote:
LHR?

True. VS is not SkyTeam but they are have a very close relationship with DL, with steps being taken towards a DL/VS/KL/AF joint venture. No close partnership exists with any Japanese carrier.

eamondzhang

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:15 am

Ishrion wrote:
x1234 wrote:

I thought Korean Air has the 2-2-2 Apex Suites which allow for direct aisle access?

Only for 77W, 789, 748 and some of their A333.

Most fleets are not having Apex - especially those which flies Intra-Asia like 773 and 772 - heck they're still in 2-3-2 config!

Ishrion wrote:
United couldn’t make LAX-SIN work and moved the frequency to SFO.

That's more of an operational challenge than anything else. Mentioned too many times on this forum by UA people.

Michael
Last edited by eamondzhang on Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

BenflysDTW

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:16 am

mattnrsa wrote:

Tokyo is different, DL said earlier during the SEA-KIX announcement, that their goal was to have Japan strongly connected to the US as their ICN hub would make for a huge backtrack, where almost no one would do want to travel that way. I’m not sure that LHR is a SkyTeam hub, VS is not a part of SkyTeam. DL has about 11-12 flights a day there as you already know. Also remember that PDX, MSP, DTW, and ATL are monopoly markets into TOK as a nonstop option. UA only has IAH, DEN while AA only has DFW for monopoly TOK service which includes partners of course. TOK has a great mix of leisure, family, premium business travel. TOK is also the largest metro area I believe in population but as golden rule #2 for air service, population means nothing. GRU used to have 4 flights a day on DL, (DTW, ATL, JFK, MCO) so that’s one comparison.

eamondzhang

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:20 am

BenflysDTW wrote:
mattnrsa wrote:

Tokyo is different, DL said earlier during the SEA-KIX announcement, that their goal was to have Japan strongly connected to the US as their ICN hub would make for a huge backtrack, where almost no one would do want to travel that way. I’m not sure that LHR is a SkyTeam hub, VS is not a part of SkyTeam. DL has about 11-12 flights a day there as you already know. Also remember that PDX, MSP, DTW, and ATL are monopoly markets into TOK as a nonstop option. UA only has IAH, DEN while AA only has DFW for monopoly TOK service which includes partners of course. TOK has a great mix of leisure, family, premium business travel. TOK is also the largest metro area I believe in population but as golden rule #2 for air service, population means nothing. GRU used to have 4 flights a day on DL, (DTW, ATL, JFK, MCO) so that’s one comparison.

It took me half a minute to realise what you're talking about!

FYI Tokyo's city code is TYO.

Both UA and DL has strong JVs with their partners hence less need for monopolies like DL has - and especially since their own hubs are at large cities when DL really only have LAX.

Michael

filipinoavgeek

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:21 am

x1234 wrote:
The SIN end is not surprising with SQ starting SIN-SEA in a couple of months. I find DL saying MNL is higher yielding than we thought surprising. I guess they went with the cheapest operating cost option of running probably a 763ER ICN-MNL instead of launching which what would be revolutionary A339neo SEA-MNL.

From what I recall the A339 does not have the range to fly MNL-North America non-stop. The A338 theoretically could, but that plane is pretty much a flop and has gotten very few orders thus far, and I doubt DL would want to order a few just to serve some very niche routes.

MSPNWA

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:23 am

I'm a little bit surprised this was announced prior to the final DOT decision for HND frequencies. Was thinking this would come later. Still sad news, even though it was well-known to be coming. To illustrate how fleeting the industry is, go back 10 years to see NW/DL at NRT. All gone.

DL can send that big thank you card to the DOT now. The consumer will be sending a different card.

filipinoavgeek

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:28 am

If anything, it's surprising that it's MNL that stays instead of SIN, when by A.net logic it should have been the other way round.

mattnrsa

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:28 am

BenflysDTW wrote:

Yes TYO is a huge market but Ed Bastian said NRT was a challenge without a partner airline or any meaningful feed. I wasn’t sure how HND would be different in terms of those challenges.

ANA787

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:39 am

Any chance DL or KE will start PDX-ICN?

Sean-SAN-

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:49 am

x1234 wrote:
Also ICN-MNL is only 3.5 hours flying time so if they can make it a turn with a single crew (instead of laying over in MNL) it'd reduce their costs.

This may be true for the cabin crew but I believe the DL pilot contract requires an overnight after a non-north American international flight.

Max Q

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:57 am

Does UA have any NRT - intra Asia flights remaining ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

Lootess

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:58 am

Sean-SAN- wrote:
x1234 wrote:

This may be true for the cabin crew but I believe the DL pilot contract requires an overnight after a non-north American international flight.

DL AMS-BOM situation all over again with pilots.

Antarius

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:04 am

This has been a long time coming both DL and NRT. NRT is the Washington Dulles of Japan, an isolated crap airport that happened to be critical because the airport of choice is limited. With the JV with KL and the expansion of HND, NRT is, well, IAD.
2019: SIN HKG NRT DFW IAH HOU CLT LGA JFK SFO SJC EWR SNA EYW MIA BOG LAX ORD DTW OAK PVG BOS DCA IAD ATL LAS BIS CUN PHX OAK SYD CVG PHL MAD ORY CDG SLC SJU BQN MHT YYZ STS BIS DOH BLR MAA KTM

carlokiii

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:08 am

I am quite surprised that MNL is the last holdout of Northwest's NRT hub, especially compared to SIN which was deemed a "financial pressure".

theasianguy

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:18 am

Max Q wrote:

No, all onward Intra-Asia connections are now handled by NH. However, the number of UA-NH connections is very large.

blandy62

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:19 am

Max Q wrote:
\

No. I think ICN-NRT was the last one. now they are all gone

TC957

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:28 am

It's going to be mighty strange spotting at NRT in future when every afternoon so many DL flights poured in. Will be interesting to see who gets all those NRT slots, more LCC's I suspect.

mackdad

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:33 am

Should be hitting the media soon. The com came out at midnight tonight.

rwsea

Thu Aug 01, 2019 7:48 am

ANA787 wrote:
Any chance DL or KE will start PDX-ICN?

I'm curious about this too. There's a decent amount of premium PDX traffic to SIN and other points in SE Asia. If DL isn't able to offer a 1-stop connection to SIN, much of this traffic will be forced onto UA.

ITSTours

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:18 am

I do not believe Delta starting the ICN MNL route. I see no merit. But it would be great anyway.

747d10

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:05 am

FWIW, Delta.com shows SIN-NRT available only through 01SEP.
flown: E145/190;F100;L10/15;DC8;D8S;D10;M11;D91/S/5;M80;M90;717;727;72S;732/3/4/5/G/8/9;
741/2/3/4;752;762/3/4;77E/L;A300;310;319;320;321;330;Concorde

MartijnNL

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:06 am

cessna2 wrote:
Delta will transfer our full operation of U.S.-Tokyo services from Narita to Haneda, the city's closest and most convenient airport. With this move, we will become the largest U.S. carrier serving Haneda, with seven daily flights between Haneda and Seattle, Detroit, Atlanta, Honolulu, Minneapolis, Los Angeles and Portland, Ore. (...)

It looks like these are not your own words, cessna2. Did you copy paste an internal e-mail or memo? Why don't you tell us where this news comes from?

NW747-400

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:19 am

MartijnNL wrote:
cessna2 wrote:
Delta will transfer our full operation of U.S.-Tokyo services from Narita to Haneda, the city's closest and most convenient airport. With this move, we will become the largest U.S. carrier serving Haneda, with seven daily flights between Haneda and Seattle, Detroit, Atlanta, Honolulu, Minneapolis, Los Angeles and Portland, Ore. (...)

It looks like these are not your own words, cessna2. Did you copy paste an internal e-mail or memo? Why don't you tell us where this news comes from?

It’s an internal announcement posted on Deltanet.

Deltran757

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:27 am

NW747-400 wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
cessna2 wrote:

Correct. Just read it on Deltanet.
To see the world... One plane at a time

Ishrion

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:32 am

Deltran757 wrote:
NW747-400 wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:

Correct. Just read it on Deltanet.

Sounds valid. Thanks to the guys for leaking it before a press release ;)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos