BDKLEZ
Topic Author

Girl dies after opening a/c door in Madagascar

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:26 pm

Now this is very odd indeed, and so far I have seen nothing more rather than the initial news report. A "light aircraft" is being reported but type etc. are seemingly still unknown. I'm also assuming that she was able to open the door and exit the a/c in her own chosen fashion. Thus, does anyone have info on a/c type and/or circumstances?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-bed ... s-49192865

There is also a theory that anti-malaria medication she had been taking may have contributed to the state of her "mental health", the suggestion being of course that her actions were as a result of something that she was not in control of. But could this really be the case? I'm no medic for sure, but many students visit Africa every year for charity/voluntary purposes as she was there for, but they don't all jump out of a plane.
Trespassers will be shot; survivors will be shot again!

Dutchy

Re: Girl dies after opening a/c door in Madagascar

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:38 pm

Sad story, apparently a 19y/o Oxford student doing research in Madagascar. A fellow passenger, the pilot and her were on board the Cessna. She was known to have mental health issues. The story goes that they struggled for five minutes before the fellow passenger could no longer hold on and she "won".
Many happy landings, greetings from The Netherlands!

FlyKBHM

Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:55 pm

The Sun is reporting a Cessna 168 (which doesn't exist to my knowledge), Fox News displayed a photo of a Cessna 172. From the photos in The Sun article which supposedly show a police recreation of the events, it appears to be a Cessna 172.

I wondered if she could actually open the door against the airflow and exit, but given the low altitude, her reasonably athletic and thin frame seen in The Sun photos, and the presence of the seat frames to 'push off' of with her legs towards the door, looks possible to me.

Regarding the use of anti-malaria medications, the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) notes that some such drugs are not recommended for those with existing mental health conditions: https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/drugs.html
A pre-existing unknown / untreated mental health condition combined with certain prescription drugs resulting in an inexplicable (to everyone else) action is plausible.

Regardless of the cause, my sympathy to her friends and family; so, so sad.

Lrockeagle

Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:36 pm

FlyKBHM wrote:
The Sun is reporting a Cessna 168 (which doesn't exist to my knowledge), Fox News displayed a photo of a Cessna 172. From the photos in The Sun article which supposedly show a police recreation of the events, it appears to be a Cessna 172.

I wondered if she could actually open the door against the airflow and exit, but given the low altitude, her reasonably athletic and thin frame seen in The Sun photos, and the presence of the seat frames to 'push off' of with her legs towards the door, looks possible to me.

Regarding the use of anti-malaria medications, the US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) notes that some such drugs are not recommended for those with existing mental health conditions: https://www.cdc.gov/malaria/travelers/drugs.html
A pre-existing unknown / untreated mental health condition combined with certain prescription drugs resulting in an inexplicable (to everyone else) action is plausible.

Can confirm you can open a 172 door against the slipstream. Not all would be able to but many could.
Lrockeagle
14 years ago

I got $20 says AA takes their 787's with GE powerplants. Just a hunch. Any takers?

RobertS975

Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:43 pm

Lrockeagle wrote:
FlyKBHM wrote:

Can confirm you can open a 172 door against the slipstream. Not all would be able to but many could.

Have flown Cessna 172s for years. One can definitely open a door, but whether it can be opened wide enough to fit a person through is another matter. Those doors are pretty broad to allow entry and exit by both front and back seat passengers. To get a door open wide enough for a person would probably likely require a very slow airspeed, just above a stall.

downdata

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:16 pm

Well we’ll never know for sure what happened with the only accounts being from the three people in the a/c at the time

EA CO AS

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:32 pm

RobertS975 wrote:
Lrockeagle wrote:
FlyKBHM wrote:

Have flown Cessna 172s for years. One can definitely open a door, but whether it can be opened wide enough to fit a person through is another matter. Those doors are pretty broad to allow entry and exit by both front and back seat passengers. To get a door open wide enough for a person would probably likely require a very slow airspeed, just above a stall.

Body weight plus gravity against a C172 door, even at 85KIAS or so, would easily allow someone to tumble out if that’s what their intent was.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

hpff

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:06 pm

And anti-malarials have pretty bad side effects in some people. A partner on a project of mine in Africa was severely impacted. It’s a very unfortunate story, but not implausible.

ParkFSI

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:21 pm

I dropped a skydiver once from a 172, he opened the door with little trouble. I slowed down but don’t remember the speed, it was many years ago.

peterinlisbon

Thu Aug 01, 2019 5:58 pm

It's a strange story. She'd have to first unbuckle her seatbelt, then lift up a big lever to unlatch the door, then push the door open, hold it open quite wide against the airflow to give herself enough space to fit through and jump out. I don't think that's something that's easy to do by accident. Plus she had mental health issues - sounds to me more like suicide than an accident.

tjwgrr

Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:02 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
It's a strange story. She'd have to first unbuckle her seatbelt, then lift up a big lever to unlatch the door, then push the door open, hold it open quite wide against the airflow to give herself enough space to fit through and jump out. I don't think that's something that's easy to do by accident. Plus she had mental health issues - sounds to me more like suicide than an accident.

It was suicide- both the passenger and pilot struggled to hold on to her to keep her from trying to get out. They eventually lost their grips and out she went.
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

Lrockeagle

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:04 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
RobertS975 wrote:
Lrockeagle wrote:

Body weight plus gravity against a C172 door, even at 85KIAS or so, would easily allow someone to tumble out if that’s what their intent was.

Yup yup. I flew one around for a few hours when my door would not latch closed. We decided to use the doors to make our turns.
Lrockeagle
14 years ago

I got $20 says AA takes their 787's with GE powerplants. Just a hunch. Any takers?

T4thH

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:34 pm

Sad story. may she rest in peace.

Always when I read such a story, I have to thing about "again, someone won the first price as tester of the evolution". Of course, this is not fine, but what shall I do, this is the first, I regular think in such a case/such a story.

SuseJ772

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:24 pm

On a first date with who is now my wife I couldn’t get her door fully shut and latched on the way home from CHA to AHN. I just told her, “we’ll be fine, just don’t fall out” :) I admit I wasn’t too worried about it as I figured between the seat belt, and the slipstream at 120kts it would be pretty difficult to get it wide enough to fall out.

I also thought from the forced landing g training to open the door and re-latch it down so as not to get trapped in the event of a hard landing and a bent frame and a fire. I remember my instructor saying it will be difficult to open it in the slipstream.

I have been on anti-malaria medicine. It gives you wicked crazy dreams when you sleep. I could see it effecting someone like this unfortunately.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

downdata

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:36 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
RobertS975 wrote:
Lrockeagle wrote:

Last time i checked gravity acts downwards, unless you are implying the plane was heavily banked in the direction of the suiciding young woman

dredgy

Fri Aug 02, 2019 1:15 am

FlyKBHM wrote:

Yes absolutely possible. Mine had a faulty latch and would often spring open a little ways during flight. Lost my good pen that way.

EA CO AS

Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:12 am

downdata wrote:
EA CO AS wrote:
RobertS975 wrote:

Last time i checked gravity acts downwards, unless you are implying the plane was heavily banked in the direction of the suiciding young woman

The door opens outward and it’s really light; it’s fairly easy to open it wide enough to tumble out, even at a decent airspeed, if you try to tumble out by putting your weight into it. Obviously she was able to get out, sooo...
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos