Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

T4thH

Re: A220 sales tour and sales campaigns, 2019

Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:24 pm

lightsaber wrote:
T4thH wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
We have known campaigns at Ethiopian, Spirit, KE (top off) and AeroMexico. The A220 has potential.

I had wondered if we had another 717 in work. Instead, after the DL order, it has been steady progress.

LOT and Turkish airways are missing. on this listing. They are now in discussion with Embraer and Airbus, so either E2 family or A220.
According A220 Asia tour: Malaysia Air Group are also interested....and many others have checked the A220 during the tour, but stayed "undisclosaed", with exception of one lessor in Japan, till now not involved in aircraft leasing. The former CEO Mitsubish air program was on board and is now working for them

EDIT: Let us do not forget Air Tanzania/Tanzanian government, who have already confirmed, to order two additional A223.
Also the Air France order is still not stated as firmed.
IAG is looking for their regional airline; but here I expect, the E190 E2 will be ordered with 100 seats regarding scope clauses.

Air France is additional looking for a replacement for their regional airline HOP!
Regarding national laws, to protect regional airlines, only jets with maximum 100 Pax are allowed.

Turkish would be a nice win for either. It sounds as if both A220/E2 are being seriously considered:

https://www.airway1.com/turkish-airline ... s-e2-jets/

When searching for LOT, I didn't find any links I could take seriously for the A220. That seems to be a campaign for Embraer to lose. But as with JetBlue, stranger things have happened.

As to HOP, we could see E2-190 or an capped A220-100.

Lightsaber

For HOP! I am pretty sure, it will end up with the E190E2 with 99 PAX; commonality will be less important than to take care , that they have not to pay the crews of the regional airlines the same loan as for the mainline Air France. It will be the same with IAG. British Airways will order A220 while Cityline will get the E190E2 with 99 PAX.

EDIT: We have forgotten :
Azimuth Airlines is ihighly nterested in the A220.-> will likely take from lessor the former RedWing A220 not taken.

T4thH

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:16 pm

lightsaber wrote:
[

When searching for LOT, I didn't find any links I could take seriously for the A220. That seems to be a campaign for Embraer to lose. But as with JetBlue, stranger things have happened.

Lightsaber

Decision will be next year, so they are still far away.
https://www.aerotelegraph.com/en/lot-planning-large-order-of-787-or-a350
Is this source OK? They are looking for a regional jet replacement and for a widebody order. But as said, earliest next year, an order will be placed. First they will verify, which jets could best fit.

The original source, used google translator:
- In this case, we will choose between the Airbus A220 in the 100 or 300 model and the Embraer E2 - says Milczarski.

- I do not want to arouse unnecessary sensation by throwing numbers, but I can only say that it will be definitely a large order - he says.

https://www.fly4free.pl/lot-nowe-samoloty-od-airbusa/

Later on there seems to be a second statement by LOT, seems Simpleflying is talking about the second one.
https://simpleflying.com/lot-polish-airbus-order/
And here we have an additional source.use a translator.
https://flyg24nyheter.com/2019/10/04/lot-intresserade-av-airbus/
CEO Rafał Milczarski on Warshaw air congress:
If Airbus aircraft should become relevant for LOT, it is the A220 and A350 aircraft that will be added to the fleet.

lightsaber
Topic Author

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:44 pm

I forgot about Azimuth!

T4thH wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
[

Lightsaber

Decision will be next year, so they are still far away.
https://www.aerotelegraph.com/en/lot-planning-large-order-of-787-or-a350
Is this source OK? They are looking for a regional jet replacement and for a widebody order. But as said, earliest next year, an order will be placed. First they will verify, which jets could best fit.

Later on there seems to be a second statement by LOT, seems Simpleflying is talking about the second one.
https://simpleflying.com/lot-polish-airbus-order/

The fact the link notes pricing is decisive makes it quite believable.

I"m a fan of both the A220 and E2. For most airlines, when I do a back of the envelope estimate, I a business case for the A220. For LOT, the E2-195 should meet their needs best.

Which is funny, I'm in another thread and I could see HOP! going A220-100... Just my personal tea leaf reading where I estimate the cost/benefit.

The order driving me nuts is IAG. That will be a decisive order.

What I am seeing is enough airlines ordering the A220 that finally the leasing and later resale market is going to become more liquid. We had no wow order a la JetBlue/Moxie of last year, but even better, a significant increase in the number of opperators. That will drive top off orders.

Well, I should correct myself, the ALC order is a big deal. Udvar-Hazy knows who is asking for what. He wouldn't have ordered 50 A220. While having the little Leasing companies take a risk is great, getting both ALC and GECAS (sale leaseback) onboard the A220 is a big deal.

Lightsaber
3 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

T4thH

Sat Oct 12, 2019 10:55 pm

I have just Edited my prior post with additional sources regarding LOT.
Pretty sure, the A220 is right now the hottest girl on the dance floor. And best, the girl has already proven that she can dance....

The E2 will also get orders, but as regional jet/low cost jet and also scope clauses will play an important role, perhaps the most important. There are too many airlines, who have low cost subsidiaries/regional units like IAG, Air France e.g. and the airline groups will take care, that the regional/LC units will fly another jet type than the mainline, just to take care, that they will not have to pay the same loan.
So the result: A220 for the mainline and E19E2 and perhaps also the E175E2 for the regional/LCC arm.

Perhaps it will change, when Boeing takeover of Embraer will be completed, so perhaps many airlines are just now waiting, till it will have been performed.
But now, if an airline is not bound by scope clauses e.g.-> they all order now the A220 worldwide.
The A220 is just too superior. I have always said, the A220 is a Game Changer, only a small one but it is.
Slowly I believe, I was wrong.
It is not a small Game Changer...only the word small is wrong.

The A220 is a Game Changer.

rrbsztk

Sun Oct 13, 2019 1:12 am

I reread through the thread and did my best to collect info on each airline. Note I did not include airlines that the A220 would fit but haven't indicated interest that many users have suggested.

List of Airlines who specified a number of planes
Spirit - could top 100
Aeromexico - 60
IAG - 26+
Ethiopian - up to 20
Interjet - 12
Air Madagascar - 3

Data Sources and More Info (most recent first) [all sources from 2019]
Air Madagascar
ATW Online - Oct 12: Air Austral and Air Madagascar order Airbus A220s
Air Madagascar later this year might order 3 planes with delivery starting in 2021Q1.
From the article, the CEO of Air Austral says they got a "price for 6" and it sounds like Air Madagascar is just figuring out a lessor arrangement for their 3.
Interjet
Reuters - Oct 4: Mexico's Interjet close to buying 12 Airbus A220s: sources
They are "close"[recent] to ordering 12 planes.
Ethiopian Airlines
Bloomberg - Oct 4: Ethiopian Airlines close to deal to order Airbus A220 planes
They are "close"[recent] to ordering "as many as 20."
Aeromexico
Bloomberg - Aug 1: Airbus and Embraer to face off for Aeromexico's small jet deal
They are comparing the A220 and E2 series and are looking to this year order 60 planes.
IAG
Aeronautics online - June 8: IAG planning future BA cityflyer fleet
Deciding between the A220 and E2 series; In the "coming months"[4 months ago] order at least 26
Spirit
FlightGlobal - June 3: Spirit drops Embraer from aircraft campaign
The E2 is no longer being cosnidered but potentially 737MAX or maybe A320NEO.
Looking in the "next several months"[4 months ago] to place an order that "could top 100" with deliveries from 2022.

The following airlines have expressed interest in the A220, but I have not found specifics for them.
Azimuth
Camair-Co
LOT
Turkish
Malayasian
Military usage

Throughout this thread users have also suggested many airlines that could be strong sales candidates.

OA940

Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:46 am

lightsaber wrote:
T4thH wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
We have known campaigns at Ethiopian, Spirit, KE (top off) and AeroMexico. The A220 has potential.

I had wondered if we had another 717 in work. Instead, after the DL order, it has been steady progress.

LOT and Turkish airways are missing. on this listing. They are now in discussion with Embraer and Airbus, so either E2 family or A220.
According A220 Asia tour: Malaysia Air Group are also interested....and many others have checked the A220 during the tour, but stayed "undisclosaed", with exception of one lessor in Japan, till now not involved in aircraft leasing. The former CEO Mitsubish air program was on board and is now working for them

EDIT: Let us do not forget Air Tanzania/Tanzanian government, who have already confirmed, to order two additional A223.
IAG is looking for their regional airline; but here I expect, the E190 E2 will be ordered with 100 seats regarding scope clauses.

Air France is additional looking for a replacement for their regional airline HOP!
Regarding national laws, to protect regional airlines, only jets with maximum 100 Pax are allowed.

Turkish would be a nice win for either. It sounds as if both A220/E2 are being seriously considered:

Lightsaber

Also Interjet is planning to get 12 to replace the SSJs and Azimuth is gonna take the 6 NTUs from Red Wings. Both reportedly close to firm, and KE also stated that they are looking into firming up their 10 options. The first two are from Reuters and Bloomberg respectively (or the other way around idr) so they're credible enough, and KE's CEO stated the latter so I guess we can take his word on that. It's getting busy at Mirabel...
A350/CSeries = bae

T4thH

Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:26 am

OA940 wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
T4thH wrote:

Lightsaber

Also Interjet is planning to get 12 to replace the SSJs and Azimuth is gonna take the 6 NTUs from Red Wings. Both reportedly close to firm, and KE also stated that they are looking into firming up their 10 options. The first two are from Reuters and Bloomberg respectively (or the other way around idr) so they're credible enough, and KE's CEO stated the latter so I guess we can take his word on that. It's getting busy at Mirabel...

According Azimuth:
How the interest in A220.300 was identified ? The airline tries to hire crews for the A220-300.
This follows from the vacancies posted by the Russian regional carrier on a recruitment portal.

Russian Aviation Insider learns that the airline, which describes itself as ‘a carrier of the south of Russia’, is interested in the bigger A220-300 with a maximum of 149 seats.

http://www.rusaviainsider.com/russias-superjet-100-operator-eyes-airbus-a220-300/
(Just to remind, how got the world informed, Airbus is working on a A350 Neo? Because they had started to hire staff on a recruitment portal for Srvillia and Toulouse last year)

Camair-co:
They are interested to buy Airbus jets and hove visited the A220 FAL in Montreal. So they seems to be interested in A220, as so many other African airlines now.

LOT and Turkish airways, enough links have been provided now. Both are interested in either E2 family or A220. LOT will decide 2020, they are now verifying, which will fit best. According Turkish airways is the same, they are verifying, which will fit best.

Malaysian airlines group (the group CEO was on board during the A220 Asia sales tour and they seems to have shown more interest than others, all others have tried to stay as UFO. On all pictures/videos e.g. during the regular 1 h flight, never seen so many people working and verifying the cabin, checking the noise, size of bins e.g. so running around, never seen so many backside of heads...
#Malaysia air group Ceo and staff were different.
These are the standard photos, regular seen during the tour.
https://twitter.com/FakeMikeOLeary/status/1157228742441406464

And this are these for Air Malysia.
https://twitter.com/syamilyusri_/status/1157870206275870720

And this is a photo of Malaysia air group Ceo: Capt Izham
https://twitter.com/PyanCGT/status/1157558064242814977

These photos were unique during the tour, all others with exception of the former Mitsubishi air Ceo (MRJ program), now Mitsubishi Spacejet, who was on board and working for a lessor, till now not involved in aircraft leasing.

So Malaysian Air group has shown interest, most likely for their regional airlines. But they are also in financial trouble now, so....

Regarding Interjet; will they survive long enough to take the A220 up? Will they survive the SSJ100 fail? I have big doubts.

f4f3a

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:44 pm

With backlogs of A320neo think and max issues will massively help 220 sales . I wonder whether when airbus redoes the A320 flight deck in next couple of years this will help increase commonality with 220. Ability to be duel type rated would be a game changer .

T4thH

Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:20 pm

f4f3a wrote:
With backlogs of A320neo think and max issues will massively help 220 sales . I wonder whether when airbus redoes the A320 flight deck in next couple of years this will help increase commonality with 220. Ability to be duel type rated would be a game changer .

A320 flight deck in next couple of years this will help increase commonality with 220

Please forget this, first, something is extremely complicated and will need a complete new certification of the jets, software and hardware trouble without end and of course all airlines will kill you, because all pilots will have to be retrained with several hours in simulator e.g.

Something like this is the most worse stupid idea. I just remind, when ATR has "upgraded"/heavily modified the cockpit with the -600 version and the ATRs got a glass cockpit. Every pilot had to start again by zero, as the changes were significant.
The airlines can not exchange crews between both versions, so the airlines were forced to retire the older versions when they had bought the -600.

T4thH

Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:44 am

Air Arabia: 115 or 120 jets, either MAX or A220, decision will be done end of 2019 or Jan-2020.
https://www.zawya.com/mena/en/business/story/Air_Arabia_to_decide_on_new_aircraft_orders_by_January_2020__CEO-TR20191014nB2N26C006X6/

Till now, Air Arabia has a A230 family fleet with 39 A320 ceo and 2 A321 LR, 4 LR on order.
Sounds more like A220 than MAX.

Air Arabia has two ongoing joint ventures, all A320 ceo

T4thH

Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:47 am

T4thH wrote:
Air Arabia: 115 or 120 jets, either MAX or A220, decision will be done end of 2019 or Jan-2020.
https://www.zawya.com/mena/en/business/story/Air_Arabia_to_decide_on_new_aircraft_orders_by_January_2020__CEO-TR20191014nB2N26C006X6/

Till now, Air Arabia has a A230 family fleet with 39 A320 ceo and 2 A321 LR, 4 LR on order.
Sounds more like A220 than MAX.

Air Arabia has two ongoing joint ventures, all A320 ceo

And now Reuters:
https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-air-arabia-aircraft/air-arabia-to-decide-on-new-aircraft-orders-by-jan-2020-ceo-idUKKBN1WT0OK

And additional: Picture of meeting, where potential order was announced (to confirm statement).
https://twitter.com/agarwalgary/status/1183624237338316800

DUSZRH

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:05 pm

I just read an interview with the CEO in the German press two days ago that it is between the neo and the MAX, and the 220 is not an option?! Maybe a translation issue in the English press?

T4thH

Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:31 pm

DUSZRH wrote:
I just read an interview with the CEO in the German press two days ago that it is between the neo and the MAX, and the 220 is not an option?! Maybe a translation issue in the English press?

I was also a little bit surprised to read, decision between A220 and MAX. Minimum A320 is missing as Air Arabia is an all A320 family airline. Yes you can be right.

neromancer

Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:38 pm

ShamrockBoi330 wrote:
what is the seating capacity of the a220-100 in a 2 class config? I'm sure IAG cod order that and keep it under the 100 seat scope clause, no? or am i totally off the ball on that one?

As a reference Delta has 109 seats in it's 2-Class configuration A220-100's (see link below). I suppose under 100 seats is possible but would need to pull a couple of rows out. That would make for a very spacious aircraft. It would also change the economics a fair amount.

https://www.delta.com/us/en/aircraft/airbus/a220-100

T4thH

Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:01 pm

Just for information: Swiiss, 3rd engine failure for Swiss, 5th engine failure in less than one year now (3x Swiss, 1x KAL, 1x Tanzania air. ETOPS 180 will have to be withdrawn now in my opinion.

Seems there is the next engine failure on a A220 today on 15-Oct-2019, jet has landed in Paris.
Flight LX359 was from London Heathrow to Geneva. Swiss will now check all A220 engines.
https://www.aerotelegraph.com/swiss-kaempft-mit-grossen-problemen-beim-a220

The PW engine issues will harm the A220 success.
Someone has to do the job now and this will be PW.

T4thH

Tue Oct 22, 2019 6:06 pm

Next interest in either A220-300 or E195 E2.
TAP for the own regional airline TAP EXPRESS.
Two sources in German:
https://www.austrianaviation.net/detail/tap-express-vor-flottenerneuerung/
https://www.aerotelegraph.com/tap-schaut-sich-airbus-a220-und-embraer-e2-an

And two in English:
https://www.airway1.com/tap-air-portugal-studies-purchase-of-e195-e2-or-a220-jets/
https://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/71278-portuglia-airlines-mulls-adding-larger-jets-in-2020

In this case, I bet, t is most likely the E195 E2 for TAP Express, which will be ordered, as they (TAP Express) are only flying jets with one class and this is around 136 for the E195 E2 (as seen for the first for Azul and they are looking for a jet with 130 to 140 seats). TAP Express is still only the regional subsidiary of TAP. Also they have stated, they want to have a jet with clear less seats than the A319-100 (144 seats in one class at TAP mainline). Again this is the E195 E2 and not the A220-300. TAP main and Express are flying one class with a narrow pitch regular; A220-300 with narrow pitch in one class is something around 150 to 160 PAX.
And there is a scope clause between TAP mainline and TAP Express regional.
TAP itself has 21 A319-100 and there is no commonality between TAP and the regional subsidiary TAP Express (scope clause). I will not be surprised, if in some years, TAP itself will replace the A319 by A220-300. So TAP Express and TAP mainline will always fly different jets, there will not be any commonality, it will be like the devil and the holy water, no, it will not occur. Scope clause beats everything.

So regarding scope clause: TAP Express will get the E195 E2, TAP main will possibly in some years order the A220-300 (or instead A320 Neo).

9252fly

Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:59 pm

T4thH wrote:
Next interest in either A220-300 or E195 E2.

In this case, I bet, t is most likely the E195 E2 for TAP Express, which will be ordered, as they (TAP Express) are only flying jets with one class and this is around 136 for the E195 E2 (as seen for the first for Azul and they are looking for a jet with 130 to 140 seats). TAP Express is still only the regional subsidiary of TAP. Also they have stated, they want to have a jet with clear less seats than the A319-100 (144 seats in one class at TAP mainline). Again this is the E195 E2 and not the A220-300. TAP main and Express are flying one class with a narrow pitch regular; A220-300 with narrow pitch in one class is something around 150 to 160 PAX.
And there is a scope clause between TAP mainline and TAP Express regional.
TAP itself has 21 A319-100 and there is no commonality between TAP and the regional subsidiary TAP Express (scope clause). I will not be surprised, if in some years, TAP itself will replace the A319 by A220-300. So TAP Express and TAP mainline will always fly different jets, there will not be any commonality, it will be like the devil and the holy water, no, it will not occur. Scope clause beats everything.

So regarding scope clause: TAP Express will get the E195 E2, TAP main will possibly in some years order the A220-300 (or instead A320 Neo).

Well, TP could consider the A221 if they are so concerned about scope and seat limits?

LaunchDetected

Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:14 am

Airbus launches A220 demonstration tour of the Pacific region

https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2019/10/airbus-launches-a220-demonstration-tour-of-the-pacific-region.html

I think that the A220 would do a great job on the Australian market (QantasLink).
Caravelle lover

KlimaBXsst

Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Really kind of interesting .... NK could not find a role for the A220 and elected to go with a single fleet type.

Is NK spent? Or does it seem as if the 220 could still find its way into the bright yellow fleet after this tour?
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

lightsaber
Topic Author

Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:02 pm

LaunchDetected wrote:

https://www.airbus.com/newsroom/press-releases/en/2019/10/airbus-launches-a220-demonstration-tour-of-the-pacific-region.html

I think that the A220 would do a great job on the Australian market (QantasLink).

Bangalore and Delhi... begs the question of who.

The A220 did well enough in 2019. What it needs is a greater quantity of opperators to encourage Leasing companies (yes, ALC was a big 2019 win) to win future speculative orders. So, at this point, a couple small wins will, I speculate, into a big win.

The Australian order will light up the thread, so I will stock up on popcorn in anticipation.

Lightsaber

T4thH

Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:38 pm

The good thing: it seems to be solved now, why in short time 3x A223 PW1524G engines have popped. Killed by a software update...
https://www.airliners.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1433093&p=21747093#p21747093

OK regarding the Pacific tour:
The first stop will be the Pacific island nation of Vanuatu, home to the region’s A220 launch customer Air Vanuatu.
The aircraft will then visit Australia (Sydney and Brisbane), New Zealand (Auckland), New Caledonia (Noumea) and Papua New Guinea (Port Moresby).
On the way back to Europe, the aircraft will stop in Cambodia (Phnom Penh) and India (Bangalore and New Delhi).

Static displays are planned at each stop, as well as demonstration flights for airline executives

But does someone has the timetable?
On 28-Oct-2019, the A220-300 will be in Sydney, this I have found somewhere.

VV

Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:39 pm

It's interesting they don't go to China.

Will there be another demo flights to China, Japan Korea and so on?

ShamrockBoi330

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:04 pm

VV wrote:

Has it been certified by China yet?

T4thH

Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:10 pm

VV wrote:

There was already the "World Tour" last year in Nov-2019. There they have been several days in China, after this Nepal?, India and Turkey.
This year, there was already the A220 Asia Tour with Myanmar, Malaysia, Vietnam, Thailand and ending in Japan (with the A220-300 prototype). Stopover was in South Korea (KAL has already 10x A223, so there is the maintenance base).

A A220 China Tour was already rumored for in few month.

T4thH

Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:44 pm

Just seen, who of you is selling 5x A220-300?
:hissyfit:
A220-300 5 units are available for sale.
[email protected]
[email protected]

NOTE: Further Information Disclosed Upon Qualification of Buyer for Protection, Privacy & Security Purposes of Our Clients.

https://www.linkedin.com/feed/update/urn:li:activity:6593119924376395776

yyztpa2

Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:20 am

T4thH wrote:
[email protected]
[email protected]

NOTE: Further Information Disclosed Upon Qualification of Buyer for Protection, Privacy & Security Purposes of Our Clients.

Only airline shown with 5 on order and not yet delivered is Iraqi. They were ordered in 2013.

Also this story: https://www.arabianaerospace.aero/iraqi ... -game.html
“We’ve not received them yet. They are supposed to be delivered by 2020 [but] we want to see how useful they are for Iraqi Airways.” Once again, she said, it depended on the government’s plans to develop the airline.
According to Saj Ahmad, the UK-based chief analyst of StrategicAero Research, who takes a particular interest in Middle East carriers, there may be some doubt over the A220s. Whereas Iraqi Airways’ order for 30 737-800s was a government-to-government arrangement and, thus, secure, the order for the A220 with Bombardier had been struck by the airline itself, rather than the government, and was, thus, “a little bit at the fringes”.

T4thH

Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:38 am

lightsaber wrote:
LaunchDetected wrote:

Bangalore and Delhi... begs the question of who.

The A220 did well enough in 2019. What it needs is a greater quantity of opperators to encourage Leasing companies (yes, ALC was a big 2019 win) to win future speculative orders. So, at this point, a couple small wins will, I speculate, into a big win.

The Australian order will light up the thread, so I will stock up on popcorn in anticipation.

Lightsaber

The A220-300 YL-AAS is already on the way to Vanatu. It has flown from Riga to Abu Dhabi, than from Abu Dhabi to Malyasia/Kuala Lumpur, where it is now. Next stop is Vanatu on 26-Oct and start of the tour.
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/yl-aas
Step one of the transfer:
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/yl-aas#2297d358
Step two:
https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/yl-aas#229ad638

eamondzhang

Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:18 pm

yyztpa2 wrote:
T4thH wrote:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Only airline shown with 5 on order and not yet delivered is Iraqi. They were ordered in 2013.

“We’ve not received them yet. They are supposed to be delivered by 2020 [but] we want to see how useful they are for Iraqi Airways.” Once again, she said, it depended on the government’s plans to develop the airline.
According to Saj Ahmad, the UK-based chief analyst of StrategicAero Research, who takes a particular interest in Middle East carriers, there may be some doubt over the A220s. Whereas Iraqi Airways’ order for 30 737-800s was a government-to-government arrangement and, thus, secure, the order for the A220 with Bombardier had been struck by the airline itself, rather than the government, and was, thus, “a little bit at the fringes”.

Bet it's Red Wing who has ntu'd a few A220s already.

Michael

T4thH

Mon Oct 28, 2019 11:47 pm

eamondzhang wrote:
yyztpa2 wrote:
T4thH wrote:

According to Saj Ahmad, the UK-based chief analyst of StrategicAero Research, who takes a particular interest in Middle East carriers, there may be some doubt over the A220s. Whereas Iraqi Airways’ order for 30[url][/url] 737-800s was a government-to-government arrangement and, thus, secure, the order for the A220 with Bombardier had been struck by the airline itself, rather than the government, and was, thus, “a little bit at the fringes”.

Bet it's Red Wing who has ntu'd a few A220s already.

Michael

STLC (State Leasing Company) has ordered 6 A220 (and not only 5) for Redwing. Azimuth seems to be "interested" in A220....is someone any more only "interested" if you are already recruiting staff for them? So it is likely, they will take up the A220, former scheduled for Red Wing. Why to recruit staff now, when the planes will not be delivered soon/are not minimum already on the A220 production list listed?

Iraqi Airlines was also mentioned in one of the earlier posts. How Iraqi Airlines shall sell something, when the jets are not mentioned on the production list? According to my knowledge, newer contracts do not any more allow to sell production slots.

Perhaps one of the airlines want to sell 5 A220 jets for a lease back? I just do not know.

Regarding the sales tour; the A223 has already left Vanuatu and is now in Sydney the first stop in Australia (also there was a stop in Australia on the way from Malaysia to Vanuatu, but this was not part of the official tourhttps://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/yl-aas#229c4bf5). In Vanuatu, there was a 1 h flight with guests.

First images from Australia:
https://twitter.com/www16Right/status/1188794607124934658

And I know, which airline will visit the A220....Qantas. But how shall I know it...
https://twitter.com/ChrisTagle/status/1188967098233446401
Last edited by T4thH on Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

eamondzhang

Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:09 am

T4thH wrote:
And I know, which airline will visit the A220....Quantas. But how shall I know it...
https://twitter.com/hashtag/a220tour?f=tweets&vertical=default&src=hash

No such airline exists. It's Qantas not Quantas. C'mon, you see the picture already man :box:

Michael

T4thH

Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:18 am

eamondzhang wrote:
T4thH wrote:
And I know, which airline will visit the A220....Quantas. But how shall I know it...
https://twitter.com/hashtag/a220tour?f=tweets&vertical=default&src=hash

No such airline exists. It's Qantas not Quantas. C'mon, you see the picture already man :box:

Michael

I was still editing, when my WLAN has recently crashed for around 10 min and had to be restarted....Now link and Qantas are corrected.

T4thH

Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:32 pm

The first stop in Sydney seems to be a stop lonely for a show for Qantas. Qantas Ceo Joyce has stated, they were looking for a replacement of the B717 and Fokker 100 of Qantas Link (47 in total) and for some B737 in use.They are interested in A220; price per jet has to be discussed.

https://www.executivetraveller.com/news/qantas-could-buy-the-airbus-a220-so-here-s-what-it-s-like-to-fly

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/qantas-launch-domestic-fleet-renewal-process-2020/

T4thH

Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:43 pm

African source behind firewall...and I have made a mistake, I have just made a wrong click and have lost the link..Google Translator. original was in French. Source is from yesterday.
Congolese transport minister Didier Mazenga will soon be traveling to Toulouse to study the purchase of Airbus A220.

TObound

Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:56 pm

My bet is IAG goes E2 and Qantas goes 220.

The E2 is perfect for IAG across all their regional carriers and for CityFlyer. Likewise, I can imagine the 220 would do well for some "long and thin" Trans-Tasman routes

VV

Fri Nov 08, 2019 5:13 am

T4thH wrote:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Are they already produced aircraft or are they just production slots to sell?

Considering the low production rate, if those are built aircraft they should have been sold by now.

TObound

Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:02 pm

VV wrote:
TObound wrote:
My bet is IAG goes E2 and Qantas goes 220.

The E2 is perfect for IAG across all their regional carriers and for CityFlyer. Likewise, I can imagine the 220 would do well for some "long and thin" Trans-Tasman routes

I think airlines like it long and thick.

You ever been down there? Not that many "long and thick" routes across the Tasman Sea that aren't already flown with 320s and 737s. The only option to open up new routes is to get an aircraft that makes it economical to do so.

rrbsztk

Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:14 am

Anyone have CAPA access? I was googling a220 and stumbled across this:

1 day ago · Air Austral confirmed (18-Nov-2019) Air Madagascar intends to acquire A220-300 aircraft. As previously reported by CAPA, Air Austral ordered

alyusuph

Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:39 am

TObound wrote:
What's interesting here is that mainlines are ordering the 220, while regional operators are ordering the E2. Sort of looks like the E2 might replace EJets and CRJs. While the 220s are replacing 318s, 319s, 320s, 73Gs and 738s.

Replace 738s?
I am not an Airbus or Boeing fan, just an aircraft fan

wrongwayup

Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:42 pm

In addition to the well-publicised demo tour of an AirBaltic A220-300 through Asia, Airbus had A220-300 FTV8 (C-FFDO) on a multi-stop demo tour in the USA a couple weeks back. ADS-B tracking (flightaware etc) has been blocked for the aircraft and there was much less PR. I believe it visited several JetBlue stations and a stop in HPN for the NYC-based aviation finance, banking, and leasing crowd.

TObound

Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:04 am

alyusuph wrote:
TObound wrote:
What's interesting here is that mainlines are ordering the 220, while regional operators are ordering the E2. Sort of looks like the E2 might replace EJets and CRJs. While the 220s are replacing 318s, 319s, 320s, 73Gs and 738s.

Replace 738s?

Yes. Sort of. Replace 738s with a smaller (223) and larger aircraft (7M9/321N).

strfyr51

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:28 am

with the United A320 fleet nearing life limits the A220 if offered at a good price might well find favor. They have Airbus reps on the property right now so if the airplane meets reliability? I could see very little reason that United wouldn't at the least listen.

lightsaber
Topic Author

Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:51 am

Does anyone have a list of the current sales campaigns? From Memory, all quantities of possible orders appropriate.
AeroMexico: 60
TAP Portugal: 13
Air Austral: unknown
Air Sengal 8
IAG: unknown (I estimate <20), I sgree with others Embraer is in a better position to win.
Qantas: 20

The last one would light up a.net due to the 717 love.

I didn't list possible orders I consider shelved (e.g., KE due to the traffic hit of the Korea/Japan spat).

I consider UA too speculative at this time. I hope, another US or EU major would be a nice addition! I'd also like to see an India and China order.

Lightsaber

SQ22

Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:51 am

Please continue your discussion here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1438987

Thread will be locked.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos