chonetsao
Posts: 302
Joined: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:55 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:55 pm

Draken21fx wrote:
oschkosch wrote:
321neo wrote:



Excellent pics, thanks a lot! :thumbsup:

Looks like new times are coming and A321LR plus XLR will be the planes making the new era exciting!
:stirthepot:


Thats a strange J class sitting. Is it 1-2-1?

Also the colour scheme is different from the renderings and I see they havent removed the plastic protective film of the floor...looks awful and a bit kitsch.


I don;t know if it is 1-2-1.

I think from the picture it looks like: 2-2/1-1/2-2/1-1/2-2=16 J.

So row 1/3/5 are 2-2 which is good for couples. And row 2/4 both are 1-1 which is great for single travellers.

I hope EI is bold enough to add two rows to make for 22J. But it is not the case. With 22J it may be able to fly to more places.

I would love to know how would define the EI seating.
 
User avatar
Vio
Posts: 1553
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2004 5:23 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:23 pm

I'll miss the 757 at BDL. It was always fun parking our little Dash beside it :) (or close to it)
Superior decisions reduce the need for superior skills.
 
Gulfstream500
Posts: 374
Joined: Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:30 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:39 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
mcg wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
A quick checked showed you can get this flight for just £239 one-way. Not bad! I think with the A320neo and 737Max eventually we could have direct flights from Europe to every state in the USA.


Wyoming? Mississippi?


Perhaps eventually even the smaller states could support a flight to London with connections to the rest of Europe.


I could see east coast small cities like Providence, Hartford, Albany, Buffalo, Richmond, and Columbus eventually getting transatlantic A321LR service.

But places like Cheyenne, Wyoming? Definite no, given that it can barely support an ERJ140 to Dallas as it’s only flight.
Thinking of a good signature is hard...
 
User avatar
LAX772LR
Posts: 12484
Joined: Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:06 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:55 pm

Bhoy wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
Not bad! I think with the A320neo and 737Max eventually we could have direct flights from Europe to every state in the USA.

Hawaii?
Bit of a stretch even for an XLR surely?

Pretty sure the poster is saying that those planes can help fill in gaps for many states, not that all states would be served by those planes.

That said, there's not going to be nonstops from Montana or Idaho to Europe any time soon.... hell, those states can barely fill planes to the likes of Florida or New York.

But the idea is generally that: yes, nearly every significant US business centre now has a fair shot at a Euro nonstop, now that we've got planes with such range and only 160-180ish seats to fill.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil
 
Varsity1
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:23 am

I'll be interested to see what this does to the NATS system.

Most aircraft fly the NATS at .80 or .82, the A321NEO and 737 are optimized for .78. Longer range flights will probably even require .76

Some like the 787 and 747 fly at. .86
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
Vladex
Posts: 359
Joined: Sat Oct 26, 2013 2:44 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:34 am

A321 neo destinations Portland, Cleveland, Buffalo, Burlington, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore?
 
uconn99
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:52 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:21 am

Gulfstream500 wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
mcg wrote:

Wyoming? Mississippi?


Perhaps eventually even the smaller states could support a flight to London with connections to the rest of Europe.


I could see east coast small cities like Providence, Hartford, Albany, Buffalo, Richmond, and Columbus eventually getting transatlantic A321LR service.

But places like Cheyenne, Wyoming? Definite no, given that it can barely support an ERJ140 to Dallas as it’s only flight.


Considering this thread is about Aer Lingus' new A321LR flying DUB-BDL you can take Hartford off that list.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3644
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:09 am

Varsity1 wrote:
I'll be interested to see what this does to the NATS system.

Most aircraft fly the NATS at .80 or .82, the A321NEO and 737 are optimized for .78. Longer range flights will probably even require .76

Some like the 787 and 747 fly at. .86


Probably not a problem RVSM and RLatSM, much more capacity than before. The C-5 crosses at M.77 and sometimes it be difficult to climb above F290 due to Mach but RVSM solved it.
 
Chasensfo
Posts: 194
Joined: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:07 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:09 am

shamrock350 wrote:
Chasensfo wrote:
I thought the whole reason for the 757 on the route was the delayed arrival of the A321s, and the route had been long planned for the A321?

I am planning to take a trip to MSP sometime in the next 2-3 weeks and Aer Lingus 757s are my primary target while I'm out there, any idea when they are due to leave the route?


MSP was always planned to be a 757 with YUL being the first A321LR destination. After the delays from Airbus, YUL was postponed to Summer 2020 and BDL become the first A321LR route instead.

MSP will continue to be a 757 throughout winter and has tentatively been scheduled as a A332 from next summer.

Interesting, the local spotters all said it was due to be an A321LR when the route was first announced. Glad to know that there isn't too much of a rush trying to catch the 757 there, and looking forward to the A330s! Thanks!
 
Andy33
Posts: 2473
Joined: Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:30 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:54 am

Aisak wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Humm, BA has been flying A321's in that configuration for years - well maybe not that many years but still... :)
https://seatguru.com/airlines/British_A ... A321_C.php

Well, many years seems ok. First, those G-MEDx planes were flying in full BA colours, as British Mediterranean or bmed was a franchisee operator. Then, bmed was adquired by and integrated into bmi, so planes changed the livery but most flights retained the BA code via codeshare on BD.
Finally, the remaining of what was left of bmi was purchased and integrated into BA, so those MEDx planes have been providing good service to BA one way or another for “many years”


Yes they have, but not in the current configuration. BMED and BMI only flew them with cradle type business class seats. BMI ordered replacement seats including the lie-flat business class ones while they were part of Lufthansa Group, and the seats are the same design as used on some Swiss planes. When IAG bought BMI from Lufthansa and handed mainline operations over to BA, the new seats were sitting in a hangar at EMA. BA extracted them and fitted them to all seven MEDx A321s. By no means all of the routes BMI had been using these planes on proved viable in the long term (bear in mind that the reason BMI was absorbed first by Lufthansa and ultimately by BA was that it was heavily loss making), while others justified an upgauge, so three of the seven have been reseated as conventional BA shorthaul planes, and just four remain in this config. These are not A321NEOLR of course, they are just A321CEO so transatlantic ops have never been on the agenda, their haunts have been and still are (as seasonal timetables shift plane allocation) CAI, TLV, AMM, BEY, MOW in recent years, with the odd fill-in on UK domestic or shorthaul to make a day's work.
 
tonystan
Posts: 1666
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:39 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:43 pm

Andy33 wrote:
Aisak wrote:
airbazar wrote:
Humm, BA has been flying A321's in that configuration for years - well maybe not that many years but still... :)
https://seatguru.com/airlines/British_A ... A321_C.php

Well, many years seems ok. First, those G-MEDx planes were flying in full BA colours, as British Mediterranean or bmed was a franchisee operator. Then, bmed was adquired by and integrated into bmi, so planes changed the livery but most flights retained the BA code via codeshare on BD.
Finally, the remaining of what was left of bmi was purchased and integrated into BA, so those MEDx planes have been providing good service to BA one way or another for “many years”


Yes they have, but not in the current configuration. BMED and BMI only flew them with cradle type business class seats. BMI ordered replacement seats including the lie-flat business class ones while they were part of Lufthansa Group, and the seats are the same design as used on some Swiss planes. When IAG bought BMI from Lufthansa and handed mainline operations over to BA, the new seats were sitting in a hangar at EMA. BA extracted them and fitted them to all seven MEDx A321s. By no means all of the routes BMI had been using these planes on proved viable in the long term (bear in mind that the reason BMI was absorbed first by Lufthansa and ultimately by BA was that it was heavily loss making), while others justified an upgauge, so three of the seven have been reseated as conventional BA shorthaul planes, and just four remain in this config. These are not A321NEOLR of course, they are just A321CEO so transatlantic ops have never been on the agenda, their haunts have been and still are (as seasonal timetables shift plane allocation) CAI, TLV, AMM, BEY, MOW in recent years, with the odd fill-in on UK domestic or shorthaul to make a day's work.


Actually at least 3 aircraft had in fact been reconfigured by BMI prior to the merger. But when the talks of merger began they suspended the reconfigurations and placed the remaining seats in a warehouse for BA to eventually continue the process.
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.
 
321neo
Topic Author
Posts: 590
Joined: Wed Apr 10, 2013 9:20 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:34 pm

Vladex wrote:
A321 neo destinations Portland, Cleveland, Buffalo, Burlington, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore?


Cleveland is expected for Summer 2020
 
Buffalomatt1027
Posts: 391
Joined: Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:02 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:35 pm

Vladex wrote:
A321 neo destinations Portland, Cleveland, Buffalo, Burlington, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore?


Buffalo would be a good option ...... get a solid mix of Canadians and US Passengers. the A321 NEO they should be able to fill it no problem or come close to it.
 
A380MSN004
Posts: 609
Joined: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:07 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:10 pm

UPNYGuy wrote:
behramjee wrote:
321neo wrote:

16 J & 168 Y in full long haul interior

See a CGI video of the exterior and interior here:

https://youtu.be/CxWIb-CCD4c


Youtube is blocked at my office so can you please tell me if the J class cabin on board their 32Ls are normal J class seats or flat beds? Thank you.


They are similar to the B6 mint seats if I remember right.


Nice product. Anyone can tell the J Class + Y Class Seat manufacturer please ?
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5292
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:31 pm

A380MSN004 wrote:
UPNYGuy wrote:
behramjee wrote:

Youtube is blocked at my office so can you please tell me if the J class cabin on board their 32Ls are normal J class seats or flat beds? Thank you.


They are similar to the B6 mint seats if I remember right.


Nice product. Anyone can tell the J Class + Y Class Seat manufacturer please ?


Business: Thompson Aero - Vantage Seat

Economy: Collins Aerospace - Pinnacle Seat
 
MIflyer12
Posts: 5815
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:31 pm

Vladex wrote:
A321 neo destinations Portland, Cleveland, Buffalo, Burlington, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore?


You really ought to look at the passenger numbers for BTV vs the other airports on your list. It's a small regional airport - not even making the top 100 of U.S. airports by passenger numbers. https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports. ... rier=FACTS

It gets about 1/20th the traffic of BWI, for example.
 
airbazar
Posts: 9688
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:32 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Vladex wrote:
A321 neo destinations Portland, Cleveland, Buffalo, Burlington, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore?


You really ought to look at the passenger numbers for BTV vs the other airports on your list. It's a small regional airport - not even making the top 100 of U.S. airports by passenger numbers. https://www.transtats.bts.gov/airports. ... rier=FACTS

It gets about 1/20th the traffic of BWI, for example.


So? The real question is whether there is demand for BTV-Europe or vice-versa.
YUL is only a 2 hour car ride from Burlington. I suspect most people who want to fly to Europe do the relatively short drive to YUL or even BOS.
 
airlinermiami
Posts: 64
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 2:14 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:44 pm

Iberia is also getting the A321LR , hopefully, they will be used to open new routes in North America and Africa to strengthen Iberia's Madrid-Barajas Airport hub .
I am sure the new A321LR could open Washington DC , Toronto and Montreal , increase Boston and New York flights and open some key markets in Africa.

It will great if New York's La Guardia airport after the full renovations are completed would be open to European flights operated by A321LR or similar aircrafts. La Guardia Airport is a big hub for American airlines domestic network. I am sure a fly operated by Iberia new A321LR will be a total success .
Definitely, the A321LR looks promising .
 
jetblueguy22
Posts: 3232
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:26 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:10 pm

airlinermiami wrote:
Iberia is also getting the A321LR , hopefully, they will be used to open new routes in North America and Africa to strengthen Iberia's Madrid-Barajas Airport hub .
I am sure the new A321LR could open Washington DC , Toronto and Montreal , increase Boston and New York flights and open some key markets in Africa.

It will great if New York's La Guardia airport after the full renovations are completed would be open to European flights operated by A321LR or similar aircrafts. La Guardia Airport is a big hub for American airlines domestic network. I am sure a fly operated by Iberia new A321LR will be a total success .
Definitely, the A321LR looks promising .

Not a shot LGA opens to transatlantic flights. BA would be there already with the LCY flight.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club
 
Varsity1
Posts: 1955
Joined: Mon May 02, 2016 4:55 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:30 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
I'll be interested to see what this does to the NATS system.

Most aircraft fly the NATS at .80 or .82, the A321NEO and 737 are optimized for .78. Longer range flights will probably even require .76

Some like the 787 and 747 fly at. .86


Probably not a problem RVSM and RLatSM, much more capacity than before. The C-5 crosses at M.77 and sometimes it be difficult to climb above F290 due to Mach but RVSM solved it.


There aren't hundreds of C-5's on the nats every day. There will probably soon be hundreds of A32X/737max cruising at .76..

I'm thinking of if a 787 is filed behind them on the same track and there isn't enough SLOP to pass them.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..
 
User avatar
CLEguy
Posts: 257
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 10:49 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:08 am

321neo wrote:
Vladex wrote:
A321 neo destinations Portland, Cleveland, Buffalo, Burlington, Pittsburgh, Cincinnati, Baltimore?


Cleveland is expected for Summer 2020


Wishful thinking/speculation or have you heard something specific other than the well-documented visit by EI earlier this year to talk to CLE officials? I sure hope it's accurate!
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3644
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:52 am

Varsity1 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
I'll be interested to see what this does to the NATS system.

Most aircraft fly the NATS at .80 or .82, the A321NEO and 737 are optimized for .78. Longer range flights will probably even require .76

Some like the 787 and 747 fly at. .86


Probably not a problem RVSM and RLatSM, much more capacity than before. The C-5 crosses at M.77 and sometimes it be difficult to climb above F290 due to Mach but RVSM solved it.


There aren't hundreds of C-5's on the nats every day. There will probably soon be hundreds of A32X/737max cruising at .76..

I'm thinking of if a 787 is filed behind them on the same track and there isn't enough SLOP to pass them.


SLOP technique is NOT used to pass planes on the tracks. It’s usually first come, first served in ATC. If a A321 or 737 is estimating the oceanic entry before a faster, trailing plane will be offered a different level, different route or different Mach number. It’s been that way for decades and it got to be problem when lateral spacing was 1⁰ of longitude and 10 minutes in trail with 2,000’ of level separation. Now, it’s one-half degree, 30 miles in trail and 1,000’ of level separation, there’s about 8 times the potential though put compared to 1996 separation standards. There’s already lots of variation in speed and level accommodated on the tracks.


GF
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2256
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:20 am

airlinermiami wrote:
Iberia is also getting the A321LR , hopefully, they will be used to open new routes in North America and Africa to strengthen Iberia's Madrid-Barajas Airport hub .
I am sure the new A321LR could open Washington DC , Toronto and Montreal , increase Boston and New York flights and open some key markets in Africa.

It will great if New York's La Guardia airport after the full renovations are completed would be open to European flights operated by A321LR or similar aircrafts. La Guardia Airport is a big hub for American airlines domestic network. I am sure a fly operated by Iberia new A321LR will be a total success .
Definitely, the A321LR looks promising .


EI already flies to Toronto. YUL's coming in 2020. The other Canadian city for which the 321LR is the perfectly sized aircraft for a new transatlantic route is Ottawa.
 
User avatar
PacoMartin
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:01 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
I think with the A320neo and 737Max eventually we could have direct flights from Europe to every state in the USA.


I think that is probably wildly optimistic. There are no international flights to/from West Virginia. Not to Canada, Mexico, or Bahamas. Not even to Puerto Rico.c
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9471
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:04 pm

PacoMartin wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
I think with the A320neo and 737Max eventually we could have direct flights from Europe to every state in the USA.


I think that is probably wildly optimistic. There are no international flights to/from West Virginia. Not to Canada, Mexico, or Bahamas. Not even to Puerto Rico.c

There are also a lot of states in the center of the US still a long way from being able to support TATL service even on Maxes and Neos.
 
User avatar
PacoMartin
Posts: 370
Joined: Sun May 27, 2018 8:18 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:42 pm

FAA ranking of 50 states for 2017 by number of enplaned air passengers, and the number of enplaned passengers at the largest airport in the state.

sum ST Air Code
0 DE 0
346,947 WV 202,777 CRW
560,682 WY 341,661 JAC
583,032 VT 578,008 BTV
881,613 MS 462,649 JAN
899,033 SD 540,862 FSD
913,123 KS 789,489 ICT
1,036,344 NH 969,224 MHT
1,046,100 ND 404,872 FAR
1,259,715 ME 925,881 PWM
1,809,403 AR 979,515 LIT
1,963,973 IA 1,257,492 DSM
1,973,309 RI 1,940,791 PVD
2,003,779 MT 598,706 BZN
2,174,642 ID 1,777,634
2,347,746 AL 1,333,967
2,485,379 NE 2,243,623
2,604,841 NM 2,412,293
3,193,291 CT 3,164,629
3,346,976 OK 1,894,277
4,639,595 PR 4,163,587 SJU Puerto Rico
4,707,197 SC 1,945,689
4,760,095 AK 2,556,188
5,177,533 WI 3,414,458
5,224,042 IN 4,343,712
6,154,491 KY 3,791,987
7,180,832 LA 6,022,300
9,994,371 OH 4,446,526
10,648,402 TN 6,902,751
10,794,187 OR 9,435,435
11,860,016 UT 11,615,893
13,059,513 MD 12,976,516
13,451,226 MO 7,194,706
17,286,142 HI 9,743,989
18,783,722 MN 18,409,669
19,018,283 MA 18,759,689
19,710,936 MI 17,036,090
20,184,762 PA 14,271,232
22,493,659 NJ 21,571,194
24,296,430 AZ 21,185,440
25,358,787 WA 22,639,120
25,555,257 NV 23,364,185
26,978,120 VA 11,506,310
30,042,485 NC 22,011,225
31,704,703 CO 29,809,091
50,772,711 IL 38,593,028
51,904,184 GA 50,251,962
52,332,138 NY 29,533,154
81,210,234 TX 31,816,933
84,904,301 FL 21,565,444
111,890,156 CA 41,232,416
Last edited by PacoMartin on Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
 
Jshank83
Posts: 2886
Joined: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:23 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:50 pm

Delaware doesn't have any commercial air service to anywhere so Europe would be a tough add...
 
airbazar
Posts: 9688
Joined: Wed Sep 10, 2003 11:12 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:41 pm

TranscendZac wrote:
What a time and what a plane. The A321 looks really good in that livery and especially with the new larger engines. The A321LR is a near 1 for 1 replacement for the 757 on what, 99% of all flights. The XLR ought to more fill in that last 1%.

Nope. Takeoff performance is the achilles heel of the A321. The LR already has greater range than the 752 so if range is the primary mission it already does more than 100% of the 752. However it struggles to takeoff from challenging airports with short'ish runways and obstacles such as Vail (EGE), and the XLR isn't changing that.
However there are probably only a handfull of such airports around the World where a 160-200 seat aircraft would be needed.
BlatantEcho wrote:
I saw a TAP A321 on Flightradar24 approaching EWR a few weeks ago (from OPO).
I realized it was a new era upon us. This is going to continue what the 787 started. More and more point to point routes. It’s awesome and inspiring to see.

And in the Winter it will operate LIS-IAD.
 
User avatar
MoKa777
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:47 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:24 pm

Varsity1 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
I'll be interested to see what this does to the NATS system.

Most aircraft fly the NATS at .80 or .82, the A321NEO and 737 are optimized for .78. Longer range flights will probably even require .76

Some like the 787 and 747 fly at. .86


Probably not a problem RVSM and RLatSM, much more capacity than before. The C-5 crosses at M.77 and sometimes it be difficult to climb above F290 due to Mach but RVSM solved it.


There aren't hundreds of C-5's on the nats every day. There will probably soon be hundreds of A32X/737max cruising at .76..

I'm thinking of if a 787 is filed behind them on the same track and there isn't enough SLOP to pass them.


May I please ask exactly what the acronym SLOP stands for?

A Google search returned Strategic Lateral Offset Procedure. Is this correct?
Never be proud. Always be grateful.
 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3644
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:37 pm

MoKa777 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Probably not a problem RVSM and RLatSM, much more capacity than before. The C-5 crosses at M.77 and sometimes it be difficult to climb above F290 due to Mach but RVSM solved it.


There aren't hundreds of C-5's on the nats every day. There will probably soon be hundreds of A32X/737max cruising at .76..

I'm thinking of if a 787 is filed behind them on the same track and there isn't enough SLOP to pass them.


May I please ask exactly what the acronym SLOP stands for?

A Google search returned Strategic Lateral Offset Procedure. Is this correct?


That’s correct and, IIRC, it’s either 1nm or 2nm right of track while beyond radar control. It’s intended to prevent wake encounters, etc., not as means to overtake.

The other factor for ATC is, TATL, is a pretty short leg for 777, 787, A330 types, they, being lighter, typically will coast out at / above F340/F350 while a A32X will be lower, reducing the speed problem for separation.
 
User avatar
MoKa777
Posts: 936
Joined: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:47 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:41 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
MoKa777 wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

There aren't hundreds of C-5's on the nats every day. There will probably soon be hundreds of A32X/737max cruising at .76..

I'm thinking of if a 787 is filed behind them on the same track and there isn't enough SLOP to pass them.


May I please ask exactly what the acronym SLOP stands for?

A Google search returned Strategic Lateral Offset Procedure. Is this correct?


That’s correct and, IIRC, it’s either 1nm or 2nm right of track while beyond radar control. It’s intended to prevent wake encounters, etc., not as means to overtake.


Aah, thank you. That helps me understand it better.
Never be proud. Always be grateful.
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1339
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:22 am

Am I right in thinking Aer Lingus will receive a total of four of these by year end ? Are they going to replace the 757's like for like ? In other words, has one 757 departed EI already ?
 
User avatar
shamrock350
Posts: 5292
Joined: Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:38 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:41 am

JannEejit wrote:
Am I right in thinking Aer Lingus will receive a total of four of these by year end ? Are they going to replace the 757's like for like ? In other words, has one 757 departed EI already ?


The original plan was four this year but I’m not entirely sure if that’s still the case after the slight delay, it could be three by year end realistically.

At the moment Airbus in Hamburg is in the middle of its summer slow down but the second and third frames for Aer Lingus were spotted out on the field, the second was structurally complete with engines attached etc while the third was painted but without engines. The fourth still only appears on the production list.

The 757 retirements begin in the winter, by March 2020 it’s expected that just one will remain. The arrival of the A321LR this month enabled MSP to go daily with a 757 which was freed up from Hartford.
 
User avatar
JannEejit
Posts: 1339
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2016 4:04 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:11 pm

shamrock350 wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
Am I right in thinking Aer Lingus will receive a total of four of these by year end ? Are they going to replace the 757's like for like ? In other words, has one 757 departed EI already ?


The original plan was four this year but I’m not entirely sure if that’s still the case after the slight delay, it could be three by year end realistically.

At the moment Airbus in Hamburg is in the middle of its summer slow down but the second and third frames for Aer Lingus were spotted out on the field, the second was structurally complete with engines attached etc while the third was painted but without engines. The fourth still only appears on the production list.

The 757 retirements begin in the winter, by March 2020 it’s expected that just one will remain. The arrival of the A321LR this month enabled MSP to go daily with a 757 which was freed up from Hartford.


Thanks for the info !
 
BuildingMyBento
Posts: 173
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:18 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:38 pm

Narrowbodies have been TATLing for years, and on longer routes.

Next up, DL starts new flights to ATL.
 
catiii
Posts: 3154
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:58 pm

peterinlisbon wrote:
mcg wrote:
peterinlisbon wrote:
A quick checked showed you can get this flight for just £239 one-way. Not bad! I think with the A320neo and 737Max eventually we could have direct flights from Europe to every state in the USA.


Wyoming? Mississippi?


Perhaps eventually even the smaller states could support a flight to London with connections to the rest of Europe.


Counterpoint: no. Delaware, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Maine aren't supporting flights to anywhere TATL. In the same way Alabama, Mississippi, etc aren't supporting flights.
 
catiii
Posts: 3154
Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 1:18 am

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:07 pm

airbazar wrote:
TranscendZac wrote:
What a time and what a plane. The A321 looks really good in that livery and especially with the new larger engines. The A321LR is a near 1 for 1 replacement for the 757 on what, 99% of all flights. The XLR ought to more fill in that last 1%.

Nope. Takeoff performance is the achilles heel of the A321. The LR already has greater range than the 752 so if range is the primary mission it already does more than 100% of the 752. However it struggles to takeoff from challenging airports with short'ish runways and obstacles such as Vail (EGE), and the XLR isn't changing that.
However there are probably only a handfull of such airports around the World where a 160-200 seat aircraft would be needed.



Correct. The 752's performance is what set it apart. The 321LR is not a 1:1 replacement. It is a GREAT airplane, but it's not near the performer that the 757 is.
 
User avatar
lesfalls
Posts: 3267
Joined: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:58 pm

Re: Aer Lingus Commences A321LR Transatlantic Flights

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:10 pm

First trip report out about the EI A321LR by Lucky!

https://onemileatatime.com/aer-lingus-a ... ss-review/
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen mehr.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos