jdstJD
Topic Author

Delta has another napkin SNAFU

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:24 am

https://www.thrillist.com/news/nation/d ... in-message

Delta is by far my favorite airline, but unfortunately they have goofed again with a clever napkin messed that fell flat.

Hilarious. Can you imagine glancing at your drink napkin, especially after having had a few drinks, and misreading the phrase as “The world is better without you in it” and then all of a sudden the plane hits severe turbulence? I would be distraught.
Lawyer, frequent air traveler and aviation enthusiast.

Capt.Fantastic

Re: Delta has another napkin snaffoo

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:52 am

When I first saw this I had to do a double-take.
I don't know how this got approved... It's a very clumsy statement and there more lucid, shorter ways to say the exact same thing.. "The world is better with you traveling" or "The world is great. Travel makes it even better"

questions

Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:02 am

It’s clunky, for sure.

THE WORLD IS A
BETTER PLACE WHEN
YOU’RE OUT IN IT.

mga707

Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:39 am

It's 'SNAFU'. An acronym. Originated among soldiers/sailors during WW2. 'Situation Normal All Fouled (clean version) Up'.

TheFlyingDisk

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:52 am

What?

Some people have too much free time....
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

scbriml

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:17 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
What?

:checkmark:

It appears a lot of them can't read a simple sentence either. Maybe they've been drinking?

Must be a really slow news day.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

LAX772LR

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:18 am

People are stupid.

For any fluent English speaker, there's nothing confusing about what's actually written... at least, not sufficiently to reasonably "feel on edge"

How's it Delta's fault that they misread what's actually there?
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

wjcandee

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:31 am

:vomit: I second what LAX said.

Someone really wrote an article about this.

So the story is that some nitwit misread a napkin. Then, instead of REreading the napkin because it's unlikely that the airline actually said what the nitwit thought they said, they posted something online which caused another nitwit to write an article and some dopey publication to publish it. And not only about how misreading it sends a mean message, but that in fact in the context of flying, this is somehow SCARY!!!! :roll: :banghead:

"The world is better without" me in it? Huh. That's not nice. Delta wouldn't write that on a napkin. Let me reread that. Oh, okay, the world is better with me out in it. I like that. It's nice. And it suggests that we should travel more. Silly me for misreading that.

But, nooooo. Instead, DL has had a SNAFU (which implies a repeated problem) because the misread message scares people. Really? How many? I would like to meet them. And let them tell me, rather than some writer putting words in their mouth, that they actually: (1) misread the message; (2) didn't immediately realize their mistake; and (3) were scared by it. I doubt that any person with a modicum of intelligence and personal pride would ever say such a thing.

For what it's worth, I rarely have a problem reading the actual words printed on something. But if I read something that seems strange, I'm inclined to take the extra 2 seconds to reread it. Instead, these guys wrote an article??

This is no "napkin snaffoo [sic]". This is nitwits in an echo chamber.

wjcandee

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:36 am

questions wrote:
It’s clunky, for sure.

THE WORLD IS A
BETTER PLACE WHEN
YOU’RE OUT IN IT.

I had no difficulty reading and understanding this nice thought.

peterinlisbon

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:46 am

Maybe they could write another one that says "WE KNOW WHERE YOU LIVE" or "IT WOULD BE A SHAME IF ANYTHING BAD HAPPENED TO YOU"

hOMSaR

Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:53 am

wjcandee wrote:
questions wrote:
It’s clunky, for sure.

THE WORLD IS A
BETTER PLACE WHEN
YOU’RE OUT IN IT.

I had no difficulty reading and understanding this nice thought.

That’s not the message on the napkin. It’s:

THE WORLD IS
BETTER WITH
YOU OUT IN IT

If you glance at it quickly, it’s quite easy to swap the first two words in the last sentence. Many folks don’t read everything one word at a time, but rather skim over stuff and their brain fills in the rest. “With you out in” is a very clunky phrasing (I don’t know the official term, but with you out in requires additional verbal “breaks,” whereas [/i]without you in[/i] flows much better; plus “with you out” is not a common word sequence, whereas “without you” is quite common; yes, I realize without is one word, but when your brain is trying to make sense of something that you only looked at for maybe one second, it’s going to fill in the gaps with what makes the most sense).

When I first saw it, I had to do a double or triple-take to figure out what the napkin actually said. Honestly, I don’t know how something like this could have passed through the marketing department. It seems like such an obvious possible confusion.
The plural of Airbus is Airbuses. Airbii is not a word.
There is no 787-800, nor 787-900 or 747-800. It's 787-8, 787-9, and 747-8.
A321neoLR is also unnecessary. It's simply A321LR.
Airplanes don't have isles, they have aisles.

JBoy

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:27 pm

But hat he was saying is that if it doesn't sound right, read it again and you would see that in fact they don't want you to die.

alggag

Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:33 pm

This one just seems like people are trying to manufacture an issue where none actually exists.

jdstJD
Topic Author

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:33 pm

mga707 wrote:
It's 'SNAFU'. An acronym. Originated among soldiers/sailors during WW2. 'Situation Normal All Fouled (clean version) Up'.

Sorry. Maybe a mod can correct my error.
Lawyer, frequent air traveler and aviation enthusiast.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:37 pm

Who the hell cares—it’s cocktail napkin, not the Goodyear blimp over the Super Bowl. A cocktail napkin could say “F.O.” and it wouldn’t matter.

kiowa

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:12 pm

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
What?

Evidently some marketing people at Delta will too. Southwest would put a positive spin on this somehow.

MIflyer12

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:22 pm

alggag wrote:
This one just seems like people are trying to manufacture an issue where none actually exists.

'Out in the world' in a common construction in American English. It's very appropriate for a travel provider. 'Being out' is a common, if more modern construction. Maybe this is DL trying to be a little edgy. Getting noticed is part of marketing communications. I don't see this as so full of double-entendres as to be troubling. Thrillist is promoting a misreading - it's not what Delta printed. Thrillist's contribution is worthless.

Classa64

Sat Aug 03, 2019 2:26 pm

That's funny really, I never misread it right off the bat so not sure why they are saying its confusing people. Are there better ways, sure but nothing wrong with it.

C.
"Freedom is the miles i'm rolling on"

drgreendds

Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:10 pm

Somebody did a nice job with photoshop on this image. The two words have been switched digitally - look at the alignment with the word 'out', it's not aligned vertically or has the correct letter spacing either. This likely didn't ever go to print. A good example of 'fake news'.

westgate

Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:17 pm

I'm sorry but every time I glance at that phrase I automatically see it as 'with out you in it'.

As another poster mentioned, 'with you out in it' is an incredibly awkward and clunky use of word order in English. It's so awkward that your brain automatically fixes it for you, with unintended consequences.

I would assume that most people would read it wrong the first time round as well, so for that reason it's a major fail from the marketing department imo. Why use a slogan that everyone is going to have to read a second time in order to realize that the airline they're flying on doesn't actually think they'ld be better off dead ?!?!

Spacepope

Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:27 pm

Could someone please correct the title? SNAFU is an acronym dating back to WWII, not sure what this "snaffoo" thing is.
The last of the famous international playboys

EA CO AS

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:08 pm

westgate wrote:
I'm sorry but every time I glance at that phrase I automatically see it as 'with out you in it'.

Same here. It's not just the verbiage, but the way the words are stacked instead of the whole thing flowing from left to right. I clicked the article, and before I read a single word of it I'd already mis-read the napkin - it's easy to do. It's easy to laugh at the fact that you know your mind mis-read it also, but you do find yourself wondering how it passed muster with DL's marketing folks.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

kjeld0d

Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:41 pm

EA CO AS wrote:
westgate wrote:

Same here. It's not just the verbiage, but the way the words are stacked instead of the whole thing flowing from left to right. I clicked the article, and before I read a single word of it I'd already mis-read the napkin - it's easy to do. It's easy to laugh at the fact that you know your mind mis-read it also, but you do find yourself wondering how it passed muster with DL's marketing folks.

There is, or used to be, a tradition of typography in graphic design. The average graphic designer these days does not have much print experience. They design for a computer screen, zooming in and out as needed. I'm sure it looked great to them on screen. Poor outcomes like this are the result.

UPNYGuy

Re: Delta has another napkin SNAFU

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:06 pm

How the hell is this even an issue??? I 100% correctly read what it said.

EA CO AS

Sat Aug 03, 2019 7:08 pm

UPNYGuy wrote:
How the hell is this even an issue??? I 100% correctly read what it said.

Well, good for you. Obviously more than a few others, myself included, didn't - at least not at first. Either way, if you're DL, this isn't what you want people talking about.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

AY104

Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:07 pm

Lots of drama for a non-issue. After you read it wrong, take a few seconds to re-read it, then have a good chuckle. Might be a good idea to keep one or two of these napkins, as they might become a collector's item one day!
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

NYPECO

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:46 am

No one's saying it's an issue, they're just poking fun at a poorly worded napkin.

D L X

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:20 am

Not only is it a BFD, but it’s not even new.

https://thegate.boardingarea.com/the-wo ... read-this/

DeltaRules

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:40 am

I misread it the first time I saw it and did a double-take, chuckling after I confirmed the actual message. I was tempted to make a post somewhere on social media about it but didn't want to be the next "THAT person" in a world full of "THAT people"
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos