doulasc
Topic Author

Braniff aircraft to South America in 1970s

Sun Aug 04, 2019 12:56 am

I have always wondered why Braniff did not chose their Boeing 707-327Cs for their South Americam routes(aka LAD) rather than Douglas
DC-8-62s.Braniff retired their 707s by 1973.I could only imagine if Braniff kept their 707-327Cs for their LAD they would have been upgraded in the wide body look cabin(like their 727s) and would have looked sharp in the ultra paint job.Was it a range issue? Did the DC-8-62 have more range over
the 707.If the original Braniff survived I heard Boeing 767s were being talked about for the LAD.

BN727227Ultra

Re: Braniff aircraft to South America in 1970s

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:20 am

When Braniff ate Panagra, they took over their DC-8-31s. Panagra had DC-8-62s on order, Braniff took those, too.

solracfunk14

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:21 am

I think I saw Braniff pics of the 707 at GIG, didn't found by now but here is a poster in brazilian portuguese. But it's the 707-227

https://http2.mlstatic.com/prpg-propaga ... 015-F.webp

https://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB ... s-1960-_JM

UPlog

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:22 am

Remember Braniff purchased Panagra, so keeping DC-8s probably worked well in the region since Panagra operated the type with equipment. parts and appropriate support for the model at the regions stations. Also if I recall correctly, BN assumed the Panagra DC-8-62 order as well as part of the merger, so the DC-8 fleet grew in years to come.

dcajet

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:06 am

solracfunk14 wrote:
I think I saw Braniff pics of the 707 at GIG, didn't found by now but here is a poster in brazilian portuguese. But it's the 707-227

Before Braniff acquired Panagra (and the latter's South American west coast routes) it operated the 707s down to Brazil and Argentina (and the DC-7C too). SCL was not served until the Panagra merger. That's when the DC-8s came to the fleet. The Series 62 were on order by Panagra but went straight to Braniff.

From Braniff's timetable in 1963:

http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/bn/bn63/bn63-11.jpg
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

Tomassjc

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:47 am

I think the DC-8-62 had the 707-327 beat range wise too. The recall that the BN DC-8-62s were upgraded to a wide cabin look by time that the Ultra Look came around. It was always cool to fly Braniff between SFO and LAX back in the early 80s. It was cheap and on a comfortable DC-8 with a South American crew!
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the Earth with your eyes turned skyward -Leonardo DaVinci

PB26

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:40 pm

IIRC, the BN's 707-300s flew the PAC/MAC services. The 707-227 was used in early Sixties to South American route 'cause it performance in hot and high airports.
Rio and all South America by Panair do Brasil’s jets.

cathay747

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:42 pm

It was definitely not a range issue, not with that Panagra/BN network. The DC-8-62 did have greater range IIRC than a 707-300B (especially the higher gross weight version like UA had and used for JFK/BAL-HNL). I think it was simply that BN inherited the DC-8 fleet (and -62 order) from Panagra with the takeover and they needed them to operate the network as BN didn't have enough 707's of their own to do so; and also why spend the money to replace that whole fleet?
Try a Little VC-10derness

cathay747

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:43 pm

PB26 wrote:
IIRC, the BN's 707-300s flew the PAC/MAC services. The 707-227 was used in early Sixties to South American route 'cause it performance in hot and high airports.

Right...and it's possible the DC-8-62 had better performance out of a couple of the hot/high stations on the Panagra/BN network such as ASU...IIRC PA 707-300B's struggled out of ASU.

BravoOne

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:11 pm

In its time the DC8 62 was the ultimate long range airliner beating the 707-300B series by a good margin.

dcajet

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:15 pm

Tomassjc wrote:
I think the DC-8-62 had the 707-327 beat range wise too. The recall that the BN DC-8-62s were upgraded to a wide cabin look by time that the Ultra Look came around. It was always cool to fly Braniff between SFO and LAX back in the early 80s. It was cheap and on a comfortable DC-8 with a South American crew!

Oh those were the days when US regulations (and the US labor unions) allowed a foreign national crew to work on a domestic sector. There are still a few very senior F/As at the AA base that used to work those LAX-SFO-SFO sectors.

Bravoone wrote:
In its time the DC8 62 was the ultimate long range airliner beating the 707-300B series by a good margin.

Those DC-8-62s flew really long segments (for the time), such as EZE-JFK and SFO-LAX-SCL-EZE right until Braniff's collapse in 1982

dcajet

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:22 pm

cathay747 wrote:
PB26 wrote:

Right...and it's possible the DC-8-62 had better performance out of a couple of the hot/high stations on the Panagra/BN network such as ASU...IIRC PA 707-300B's struggled out of ASU.

ASU is at sea level, but with a swamp-like climate, extremely hot & humid. BN also operated with at LPB. It's airport is the gold standard for high ops at over 13,000 ft over sea level. It's pretty chilly there year-round.

seat1a

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:30 pm

dcajet wrote:
Tomassjc wrote:

Oh those were the days when US regulations (and the US labor unions) allowed a foreign national crew to work on a domestic sector. There are still a few very senior F/As at the AA base that used to work those LAX-SFO-SFO sectors.

Bravoone wrote:

Those DC-8-62s flew really long segments (for the time), such as EZE-JFK and SFO-LAX-SCL-EZE right until Braniff's collapse in 1982

Any memories of the service on those long haul flights EZE-JFK, or LAX-SCL? Also, did the Panagra and Braniff South America routes overlap prior to the merger?

dcajet

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:45 pm

seat1a wrote:
dcajet wrote:
Tomassjc wrote:

Bravoone wrote:

Any memories of the service on those long haul flights EZE-JFK, or LAX-SCL? Also, did the Panagra and Braniff South America routes overlap prior to the merger?

Not first hand as I was a kid back then and did not experience them myself. BN has a reputation for good service and given the plethora of fifth freedom routes they held, it was the de facto inter South America airline in the 70s. If one needed to fly from EZE to ASU, SCL, LIM, LPB, GYE, PTY, etc... Braniff was the go-to airline and with the added bonus of being a US carrier, which for certain travelers carried some additional prestige back then.

To a certain extent, the networks overlapped. Here's BN route map from 1966, right before the Panagra merger:

http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/bn/bn66/bn66-02.jpg

Panagra's schedule from 1966 gives you a flavor of their route map which was entirely via South America's west coast with only one destination served on the east coast, Buenos Aires.

http://timetableimages.com/ttimages/pg/pg66/pg66-2.jpg

seat1a

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:47 pm

dcajet wrote:
seat1a wrote:
dcajet wrote:

Not first hand as I was a kid back then and did not experience them myself. BN has a reputation for good service and given the plethora of fifth freedom routes they held, it was the de facto inter South America airline in the 70s. If one needed to fly from EZE to ASU, SCL, LIM, LPB, GYE, PTY, etc... Braniff was the go-to airline and with the added bonus of being a US carrier, which for certain travelers carried some additional prestige back then.

To a certain extent, the networks overlapped. Here's BN route map from 1966, right before the Panagra merger:

Panagra's schedule from 1966 gives you a flavor of their route map which was entirely via South America's west coast with only one destination served on the east coast, Buenos Aires.

Forgot about timetableimages as a resource, thank you!

cathay747

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:33 pm

dcajet wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
PB26 wrote:

ASU is at sea level, but with a swamp-like climate, extremely hot & humid. BN also operated with at LPB. It's airport is the gold standard for high ops at over 13,000 ft over sea level. It's pretty chilly there year-round.

Ooops...my bad...got ASU and LPB mixed up in my head...I meant LPB.

superjeff

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:44 pm

solracfunk14 wrote:

The Braniff acquisition of Panagra took place in 1967. From approximately 1948 to that date, Braniff had their own South American routes. I think the Brazilian Routes were ex-Panagra, and were ex LIM (Panagra had a major hub there, with North-South flights connecting to onward services from Lima to Rio, Sao Paulo, Santiago, as well as Arica at one point), LaPaz, Asuncion, and Buenos Aires. So I don't think you would have seen a 707-227 in GIG unless it was pre-Panagra acquisition, and Braniff did not have any direct US-Brazil service at any time prior to deregulation.

Braniff did operate the 707-227 on some of their South American routes out of Lima (US-LIM-onward), though, and the previous posts are correct, it was because the 707-227 was designed to accommodate the high altitudes, particularly at LPB (I remember, back in the day, that when the planes landed at LPB - usually as an intermediate stop en-route LIM-LBP-EZE, they used to bring oxygen on for the flight crews while they were on the ground). Braniff was the only airline to purchase the 707-200 series, which had the same body size as the -100's but more powerful engines that didn't need the water injection system which was on the original -100's.

dcajet

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:34 pm

superjeff wrote:

I think the Brazilian Routes were ex-Panagra, and were ex LIM (Panagra had a major hub there, with North-South flights connecting to onward services from Lima to Rio, Sao Paulo, Santiago, as well as Arica at one point), LaPaz, Asuncion, and Buenos Aires. So I don't think you would have seen a 707-227 in GIG unless it was pre-Panagra acquisition, and Braniff did not have any direct US-Brazil service at any time prior to deregulation.

Braniff did operate the 707-227 on some of their South American routes out of Lima (US-LIM-onward), though, and the previous posts are correct, it was because the 707-227 was designed to accommodate the high altitudes, particularly at LPB (I remember, back in the day, that when the planes landed at LPB - usually as an intermediate stop en-route LIM-LBP-EZE, they used to bring oxygen on for the flight crews while they were on the ground). Braniff was the only airline to purchase the 707-200 series, which had the same body size as the -100's but more powerful engines that didn't need the water injection system which was on the original -100's.

BN flew to GIG and SAO (VCP) via LIM before the purchase of Panagra, as this map from 1966 shows. It was Panagra who did not fly to Brazil, at least in 1966. Also, Braniff did not fly to SCL before the Panagra purchase.

superjeff

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:16 pm

dcajet wrote:
superjeff wrote:

I think the Brazilian Routes were ex-Panagra, and were ex LIM (Panagra had a major hub there, with North-South flights connecting to onward services from Lima to Rio, Sao Paulo, Santiago, as well as Arica at one point), LaPaz, Asuncion, and Buenos Aires. So I don't think you would have seen a 707-227 in GIG unless it was pre-Panagra acquisition, and Braniff did not have any direct US-Brazil service at any time prior to deregulation.

BN flew to GIG and SAO (VCP) via LIM before the purchase of Panagra, as this map from 1966 shows. It was Panagra who did not fly to Brazil, at least in 1966. Also, Braniff did not fly to SCL before the Panagra purchase.

Appreciate the correction.

Jeff

superjeff

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:25 pm

dcajet wrote:
seat1a wrote:
dcajet wrote:

I worked for Braniff from 1972 through 1977. Inflight service was top class. The South American routes offered "Gold Service" (Panagra had "El Interamericano") before the "End of the Plain Plane campaign in 1965. South American based cabin crews (PTY, LIM, EZE, and VCP bases, later SCL - that may have been inherited from Panagra). I can remember flying a multi-stop trip LIM-GYE-PTY-MIA that left Lima about midnight, and served a meal on each segment, served course-by-course in First Class, ceramic dishes in Economy. On the longer segments think prime rib of beef carved in front of you or lobster in First; in Economy a multi course meal on real dishes with silverware. Braniff always took pride in their inflight service, on both the 707's and the DC8's, and throughout their route network.

millionsofmiles

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:22 am

Braniff obtained local traffic rights on the domestic legs of the DC-8-62 flights to/from South America. Those legs included the aforementioned LAX-SFO, but also JFK-IAD; IAD-MIA; and JFK-MIA after deregulation. Prior to deregulation, these legs had no local traffic rights and could not carry local passengers.

My dad and I flew BN901, JFK-MIA, in January 1979 on N810BN with an EZE crew. My dad paid the difference in fare at the BN Ticket Counter between our Coach tickets on National and the First Class tickets. BN operated out of the UA Terminal, and we proceeded to the sparsely-populated gate area where the EZE crew, resplendent in their Halston uniforms, waited to board. While we were only traveling domestically, the entire scene had the “International travel” feel. In 1979, that concourse of the UA Terminal still appeared quite modern and comfortable...or maybe just to my young eyes.

N810BN had fairly recently been purchased from SAS in January 1977. It was still painted in the blue Flying Colors scheme but already had the wide-body Ultra look interior.

The FC seats were covered in a soft and supple leather. We were served predeparture drinks along with warmed, packaged nuts.

The service after take-off was on the International level, and included appetizers; salad; main courses plated seat-side from a selection of main courses and accompaniments; cakes; etc. Three flight attendants (one male, 2 female) worked in FC that night and the service stands out in my mind as one of the best I’ve ever experienced.

Looking back now, I don’t know how they were able to complete that elaborate dinner service at such a leisurely pace with time to spare.

The crew was friendly but formal.

We returned to NY a week later on an Eastern L-1011 in FC. While the interior of the Eastern L-1011 was warm and inviting; the FC seats comfortable and the flight attendants exceptionally friendly, the level of service, meal-wise, paled in comparison to Braniff’s.

seat1a

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:37 am

How many seats were on the Braniff DC8s v 707s? I saw BN advertising their aisle-window and center-seat folded down concept; curious if the cabin was prepared this way with center seatbacks folded down. Pity the person in the center seat!

flyingclrs727

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:54 am

cathay747 wrote:
PB26 wrote:

Which is probably why PanAgra ordered the DC-8-62 instead of the DC-8-72 before BN bought them out. BN tended to buy high performance versions of other aircraft too. They bought the only 707-227's. They also bought some of the QANTAS 707-138's.

cathay747

Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:22 pm

flyingclrs727 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:
PB26 wrote:

Which is probably why PanAgra ordered the DC-8-62 instead of the DC-8-72 before BN bought them out. BN tended to buy high performance versions of other aircraft too. They bought the only 707-227's. They also bought some of the QANTAS 707-138's.

Say what? The DC-8-72 didn't exist back then.

incitatus

Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:46 pm

dcajet wrote:

Interesting schedule with two flights per week to Sao Paulo. The 707 landed in Viracopos and the DC-7 landed in Congonhas. At the time, Viracopos was brand new.
I do not consume Murdoch products including the Wall Street Journal

flyingclrs727

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:59 pm

cathay747 wrote:
flyingclrs727 wrote:
cathay747 wrote:

Say what? The DC-8-72 didn't exist back then.

I meant that DC-8-62.

dcajet

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:15 pm

millionsofmiles wrote:
Braniff obtained local traffic rights on the domestic legs of the DC-8-62 flights to/from South America. Those legs included the aforementioned LAX-SFO, but also JFK-IAD; IAD-MIA; and JFK-MIA after deregulation. Prior to deregulation, these legs had no local traffic rights and could not carry local passengers.

My dad and I flew BN901, JFK-MIA, in January 1979 on N810BN with an EZE crew. My dad paid the difference in fare at the BN Ticket Counter between our Coach tickets on National and the First Class tickets. BN operated out of the UA Terminal, and we proceeded to the sparsely-populated gate area where the EZE crew, resplendent in their Halston uniforms, waited to board. While we were only traveling domestically, the entire scene had the “International travel” feel. In 1979, that concourse of the UA Terminal still appeared quite modern and comfortable...or maybe just to my young eyes.

N810BN had fairly recently been purchased from SAS in January 1977. It was still painted in the blue Flying Colors scheme but already had the wide-body Ultra look interior.

The FC seats were covered in a soft and supple leather. We were served predeparture drinks along with warmed, packaged nuts.

The service after take-off was on the International level, and included appetizers; salad; main courses plated seat-side from a selection of main courses and accompaniments; cakes; etc. Three flight attendants (one male, 2 female) worked in FC that night and the service stands out in my mind as one of the best I’ve ever experienced.

Looking back now, I don’t know how they were able to complete that elaborate dinner service at such a leisurely pace with time to spare.

The crew was friendly but formal.

We returned to NY a week later on an Eastern L-1011 in FC. While the interior of the Eastern L-1011 was warm and inviting; the FC seats comfortable and the flight attendants exceptionally friendly, the level of service, meal-wise, paled in comparison to Braniff’s.

Great story. A few of those EZE-based ex BN flight attendants still work for AA at their EZE base. No longer flying domestically within the US, they only fly to MIA to/fr EZE & COR and then some international segments to Latin America from MIA.

superjeff

Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:04 pm

seat1a wrote:
How many seats were on the Braniff DC8s v 707s? I saw BN advertising their aisle-window and center-seat folded down concept; curious if the cabin was prepared this way with center seatbacks folded down. Pity the person in the center seat!

The Braniff DC8-62's had a 20F/144Y configuration; there were three different 707's Braniff flew, the original 707-227, the 707-138B (acquired from Qantas), and the 707-327 Intercontinental. I don't remember the -227 configuration; I think the -138B was 24F,104Y (but I may be off), and I don't remember the -327's.

I don't remember if the middle seats on the 707's or DC8's folded; I do remember that on the 727 fleet.

dcajet

Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:25 am

superjeff wrote:

I don't remember if the middle seats on the 707's or DC8's folded; I do remember that on the 727 fleet.

On the DC-8-62 fleet they did once they had the "Ultra Space" interiors fitted, circa 1977-78. I believe that by then the 707s were gone from the fleet. The DC-8-55s did not receive the Ultra Space cabins.

superjeff

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:00 pm

dcajet wrote:
superjeff wrote:

On the DC-8-62 fleet they did once they had the "Ultra Space" interiors fitted, circa 1977-78. I believe that by then the 707s were gone from the fleet. The DC-8-55s did not receive the Ultra Space cabins.

You are correct about the 707's being gone; I when I left Braniff in 1977 they were already gone. The DC8-55's were acquired from Delta or National, I believe, and were pretty much left untouched on the inside (other than Braniff fabric) as they were acquired as a stopgap to cope with the need for more capacity as a result of deregulation.

dcajet

Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:11 pm

IIRC, the DC-8-55 were used on shorter Latin routes ex-MIA, such as BOG and went as far south as LIM. The longer runs, such as EZE, were exclusively DC-8-62 territory until the 747s started to appear circa 1979-1980.

doulasc
Topic Author

Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:55 pm

If Braniff chose to keep their Boeing 707-327Cs for their LAD that would have given Braniff an all Boeing fleet,727s for domestic,707 for South American and 747 for DFW-HNL.Some parts are interchangable between the 707 and 727.

OzarkD9S

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:09 am

doulasc wrote:

If Braniff chose to keep their Boeing 707-327Cs for their LAD that would have given Braniff an all Boeing fleet,727s for domestic,707 for South American and 747 for DFW-HNL.Some parts are interchangable between the 707 and 727.

And? The fleet they had worked well for them until they went post-deregulation nuts. Braniff did make a great decision for them by not ordering DC-10s or L-1011s.
TWA Hotel, Here I come. October, 2019 :airplane:

seat1a

Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:32 am

Was the DC8 used on Los Angeles-Santiago?

dcajet

Sun Aug 25, 2019 1:06 am

seat1a wrote:
Was the DC8 used on Los Angeles-Santiago?

Indeed they did throughout the 70s and in 1979 they were using the 747s on the EZE-SCL-LAX-SFO route

http://www.departedflights.com/BN102879p70.html

But in 1982, due to the 80s recession in both North and South America and their own impending collapse, the DC-8-62 was back on the EZE-SCL-LAX-SFO route

http://www.departedflights.com/BN042582p34.html

doulasc wrote:

The DC-8-62 was a more capable plane, with greater range for longer sectors such as JFK-EZE and LAX-SCL, and better performance for the high airports in the region such as LPB and UIO. Far better plane for BN's LatAm network.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos