EDMD
Topic Author

Re: LH to announce two new US-routes from MUC

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:53 pm

JonNYC wrote:
EDMD wrote:
JonNYC wrote:
I'm thinking the new Eurowings adds will include one in Canada.

My guess: LAS and MCO/RSW from MUC and YYC and ANC from FRA. Combined with the already announced routes (FRA-LAS, FRA-MRU etc), this will be a Frontal Attack on Condor, at least from FRA.

My guess is it's a plus for the site that you joined! :bigthumbsup:

It is just a guess, really. ;) EW already served MUC-LAS and MUC-RSW, then moved them to DUS. Now, their LH-operations are coming back to MUC, so a resumption is very possible. MCO on the other side, has a high O&D demand from MUC (much higher than RSW): 1810 PAX in April, 1319 in May, without a nonstop flight.
Canada is extremley underserved from Germany in my opinion, load factors are almost always above 90% during the summer months (May19: 93%), so a canadian destination is very likley. YUL, YVR, YYZ are already served by LH-Mainline, so YYC would be the next best option.

Trk1

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:55 pm

A surprise. the add will be. GSP to Munich

stylo777

Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:58 pm

Again, no changes for FRA-BLR and MUC-BLR will be additional capacity. FRA-HYD got terminated a few years back, only freighter services by LH Cargo remain.

In regards to US: SEA and DTW.

edealinfo

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:34 pm

stylo777 wrote:
Again, no changes for FRA-BLR and MUC-BLR will be additional capacity. FRA-HYD got terminated a few years back, only freighter services by LH Cargo remain.

I wonder if the SEA to MUC flight will seamlessly connect to the MUC to BLR flight. That way it can also be called the Amazon Express flight.

B752OS

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:36 pm

I am pretty surprised that MUC-MIA is not run year round and daily. So perhaps with this round of expansion they finally make MUC-MIA year round? What's the current duration of the seasonal service? Late October through Late April? I also wonder if Swiss will make Zurich to Miami double daily year round? They already add a seasonal second daily flight, why not make it year round?

Seattle seems like a good bet to add Munich service on Lufthansa. San Francisco and Los Angeles already are served by Lufthansa to Munich, so Seattle seems like the easy choice in the western US.

Jet-lagged

Sun Aug 04, 2019 3:48 pm

EDMD - welcome to the site!

N292UX

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:18 pm

I feel like one of them will include PHL since AA just cut PHL-MUC.

BA

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:18 pm

stylo777 wrote:

Will these be year round?

Do you know if FRA-SEA will downgrade to an A333 for the winter like last winter or will it remain a 744?
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

southwest1675

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:29 pm

I don't think it'll be to a mid-size market.......
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Bigant0408

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:44 pm

N292UX wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the 747 FRA route is doing well enough to justify a route to MUC.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

blueflyer

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:45 pm

EDMD wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought LH was dropping EW's long haul division?

Nope. They just let the mainline handle the MUC/FRA-operations and are heavily cutting back at DUS.

Unless the board has changed their mind since their Capital Markets Day presentation in June, Nicknuzzii is right. Eurowings should be completely out of long-haul by end of 2020.

LH779 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
More then likely RSW is one of the two since the LH Group is taking EW off of their long haul ops.

There will still be EW long haul op by SN out of DUS.
There will be new EW long haul flights op by XG out of FRA and MUC. There should be an announcement soon. If they are to start RSW from FRA or MUC I would expect it to be operated by XG.

Lufthansa's Capital Markets Day presentation back in June did not leave much room for interpretation. Eurowings out of long-haul by end of 2020, period. I'm guessing if they start new flights now, it would be for a tour operator or similar outfit...
The Trump/Johnson special relationship: Special people on both sides of the Atlantic

JonNYC

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:53 pm

blueflyer wrote:
EDMD wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought LH was dropping EW's long haul division?

Nope. They just let the mainline handle the MUC/FRA-operations and are heavily cutting back at DUS.

Unless the board has changed their mind since their Capital Markets Day presentation in June, Nicknuzzii is right. Eurowings should be completely out of long-haul by end of 2020.

LH779 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:
More then likely RSW is one of the two since the LH Group is taking EW off of their long haul ops.

There will be new EW long haul flights op by XG out of FRA and MUC. There should be an announcement soon. If they are to start RSW from FRA or MUC I would expect it to be operated by XG.

Lufthansa's Capital Markets Day presentation back in June did not leave much room for interpretation. Eurowings out of long-haul by end of 2020, period. I'm guessing if they start new flights now, it would be for a tour operator or similar outfit...

I think we'll find out-- in very short order-- that that's changed. Surprised me too.

EDMD
Topic Author

Sun Aug 04, 2019 4:59 pm

blueflyer wrote:
EDMD wrote:
Nicknuzzii wrote:

LH779 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

Lufthansa wrote:
Eurowings long-haul: transfer of commercial responsibility to the Network Organization

https://newsroom.lufthansagroup.com/eng ... 4c3fbd9fef

EW actually never flew long haul themselves. They are using XG and SN for it.

Here is another german article about EW-long haul: Link

EW will continue to fly long haul, but only as a brand. The flights will be operated by XG (FRA/MUC) and SN (DUS), marketing and distribution will be done by LH. Customers won't notice the change, everything will be done behind the scenes.

Jet-lagged wrote:
EDMD - welcome to the site!

Thank you :)
Last edited by EDMD on Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

N292UX

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:00 pm

Bigant0408 wrote:
N292UX wrote:

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe the 747 FRA route is doing well enough to justify a route to MUC.

That's also very possible. IAH seems like another likely one. Should be interesting to see what they pick. PHL and IAH are my picks, but I could very easily be wrong about both.

chepos

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:01 pm

I would assume, SEA, DTW, ATL all would be ahead of service to PHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Fly the Flag!!!!

Miami

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:09 pm

arielwar wrote:
I thought LH A380 is year round to MIA?

It is. It just switches between FRA and MUC.
Aviation is proof that given, the will, we have the capacity to achieve the impossible. - Eddie Rickenbacker

voxkel

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:20 pm

I'm thinking BWI and SEA for US. Honestly thought SEA-MUC existed before reading this thread. As far as I know, Baltimore is the largest Eastern US destination without year round service to Germany. BWI-MUC would be a good complement to PHL-FRA.

Bigant0408

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:28 pm

N292UX wrote:
Bigant0408 wrote:
N292UX wrote:

That's also very possible. IAH seems like another likely one. Should be interesting to see what they pick. PHL and IAH are my picks, but I could very easily be wrong about both.

Yea I mean anything can happen. Seems like tho from comments that Houston and Seattle are strong suits for expansion.
The man who sleeps on the floor doesn’t fall out of bed

Northpole

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:30 pm

ikolkyo wrote:
I wouldn’t be shocked to see Detroit be one of them.

I would ....

PhilMcCrackin

Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:37 pm

Ishrion wrote:
BA744PHX wrote:
I would hope for a return to PHX soon! Seems long overdue

Wouldn’t be too surprising to see them kick out Condor at FRA.

Condor seems to be doing well here in PHX. They've expanded service twice so far since they've started so there seems to be some healthy growth there.

stylo777

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:21 pm

- please note, it was decided this week that two more 359 will join the currently 15 frame strong A359-MUC-hub fleet (no. 16+17).
- FRA-SEA is going down to 333 for winter and up again for Su20 with 744.
- similarily, FRA-PHL capacity down to 343 during winter and up again in Su20 to 744, but no new MUC flight
- same in ATL, IAH and BWI as suggested by some of you - not in the list for MUC
- MUC-MIA remains as is; one contributing factor to this decision might be the LX announcement today regarding year-round equipment upgauge (333 to 77W)
- all flights to India ex. MUC (and also FRA) leave around noon; US arrivals to MUC are spread over the whole day (from 7:20 am to 5:15 pm). Therefore, I would expect an early am. departure to SEA to be able to reach MUC again before noon the next day. The pattern to BLR is quite obvious with probably only minor deviations not to jeopardize the FRA flight;
- MUC-GRU will also (re)start in Su20 with currently 3x weekly; a consideration for more frequencies is probably out there as well
- EW situation is quite confusing I have to admit; however, they won't disappear from longhaul flying at all. In fact, the widebody fleet will be based in FRA and MUC with some soon to be announced new destinations (US, CA, Carribean and Africa).

edealinfo

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:27 pm

stylo777 wrote:
-The pattern to BLR is quite obvious with probably only minor deviations not to jeopardize the FRA flight;

What does this mean?

Secondly, I wonder if the Munich to Bangalore route is a strategy employed by Lufthansa to preempt potentially United Airlines starting a direct Newark to BLR flight and sucking up some USA to BLR capacity.

edealinfo

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:32 pm

stylo777 wrote:
- all flights to India ex. MUC (and also FRA) leave around noon; US arrivals to MUC are spread over the whole day (from 7:20 am to 5:15 pm). Therefore, I would expect an early am. departure to SEA to be able to reach MUC again before noon the next day. The pattern to BLR is quite obvious with probably only minor deviations not to jeopardize the FRA flight;

From which existing US destinations would the MUC to BLR flight conveniently connect?

reasonable

Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:50 pm

SEA and ATL just feel like good growth opportunities with non-Star Alliance passenger pools capable of paying premiums

flyer1225

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:12 pm

Fuling wrote:
My gut instinct is telling me MUC-IAH, but that the second US and the Indian destinations are going to be switches from FRA to MUC. Similar to what we saw with KIX.

Even though LH has been more focused on MUC traffic as of late, their India routes are still bolstered by US connectivity, which is handled by FRA.
6E/9W/AA/AF/AI/AS/B6/BA/DJ/DL/EK/FL/HA/IC/IT/JQ/LH/LX/OS/QF/S2/SG/UA/US/VS/VX/WN

stylo777

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:15 pm

edealinfo wrote:
From which existing US destinations would the MUC to BLR flight conveniently connect?

no info about exact schedule and timings, but expect a noon departure to BLR which would enable convenient connections ex. ORD, JFK, CLT, BOS, DEN, YUL, YYZ and EWR.
IAD, 2nd ORD, LAX, YVR and SFO all arrive later. but you also have UA on IAD and SFO with early morning arrivals to MUC. only "drawback" will be LAX and YVR, but that traffic goes via FRA (if passengers decide to take LH of course...).

ANA787

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:18 pm

flyoregon wrote:
What are the chances LH adds PDX to their network again (albeit from FRA taking it over from Condor)?

I think we will see LH back in PDX soon-surprised they haven’t returned yet. Condor has been making a killing at PDX. Increased to 5x/week this summer and have always had load factors in the high 90s. They are also extending their PDX season next year by starting in early April. Adidas is also is growing massively in Portland and would also be able to help fill the front cabin of a Lufthansa flight.

stylo777

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:19 pm

edealinfo wrote:
Secondly, I wonder if the Munich to Bangalore route is a strategy employed by Lufthansa to preempt potentially United Airlines starting a direct Newark to BLR flight and sucking up some USA to BLR capacity.

whatever goes TATL (LH or UA), it's been shared revenues through A++ jointventure. the JV grants metal-neutrality; therefore, it doesn't really matter if UA starts BLR or not. they would be wise to funnel everything through FRA/MUC. EWR-BLR is a very long flight (15-16 hours) resulting in very high operating costs in a low-yield environment.

Sightseer

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:21 pm

edealinfo wrote:
I wonder if the Munich to Bangalore route is a strategy employed by Lufthansa to preempt potentially United Airlines starting a direct Newark to BLR flight and sucking up some USA to BLR capacity.

JV partners don't preempt each other. If LH does start MUC-BLR, it will be in cooperation, not competition, with UA.

nordikcam

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:52 pm

LH779 wrote:
lesfalls wrote:

Did not LH say via press release that the long haul would be organized by the network companies (LH / OS / LX) and EW would only keep the Point to Point short haul ? Where will be the place for SN...Network ? They will leave EW for sure...fortunately !

BNAMealer

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:55 pm

delete
Last edited by BNAMealer on Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Super88

Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:59 pm

DFW or AUS....

speedbird52

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:05 pm

Any idea as to the aircraft coming to SEA? I am crossing my fingers for an A346 but I doubt it

BA

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:08 pm

speedbird52 wrote:
Any idea as to the aircraft coming to SEA? I am crossing my fingers for an A346 but I doubt it

Stylo777 above mentions it'll be an A359.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

Adipocere

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:09 pm

What’s with everyone piling on routes to BLR while it’s not the largest city in Southern India (MAA) or the most business/ politically connected to the US (HYD - large diaspora, US Consulate, business operations etc.)

BNAMealer

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:11 pm

southwest1675 wrote:

True. BNA can't accommodate an A350 right now, AUS already has FRA, RDU has CLT right down the road and I don't think they'd attempt the likes of IND/CVG/CMH, etc. STL maybe, but it's a long, long shot.

lavalampluva

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:39 pm

I’m sure one would be a Florida destination. Seems only logical because of the high tourism draw.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

blrBird

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:40 pm

stylo777 wrote:
It's going to be SEA, DTW and BLR with 5-6x weekly frequencies on 359 for each.

MUC-BLR back on the list again..? Hopefully this time it happens :)
from star dust....

blrBird

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:42 pm

Adipocere wrote:
What’s with everyone piling on routes to BLR while it’s not the largest city in Southern India (MAA) or the most business/ politically connected to the US (HYD - large diaspora, US Consulate, business operations etc.)

Since it is speculative still.... maybe due to market dynamics?
from star dust....

Jshank83

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:43 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

True. BNA can't accommodate an A350 right now, AUS already has FRA, RDU has CLT right down the road and I don't think they'd attempt the likes of IND/CVG/CMH, etc. STL maybe, but it's a long, long shot.

I’d be shocked if it was STL or any of those. I doubt their first flight to Germany would be to Munich (or AUS gets a second flight). STL’s bigger Germany company ties (Bayer,Sigma) are an hour from Frankfurt. So they would get frankfurt if they were to get a flight to Germany.

N292UX

Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:55 pm

If one of them is an FL destination, I wouldn't rule out either RSW or TPA. That's assuming they already serve MCO from MUC, which I think they do.

BNAMealer

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:02 pm

Jshank83 wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:
southwest1675 wrote:

I’d be shocked if it was STL or any of those. I doubt their first flight to Germany would be to Munich (or AUS gets a second flight). STL’s bigger Germany company ties (Bayer,Sigma) are an hour from Frankfurt. So they would get frankfurt if they were to get a flight to Germany.

That’s true, I was just throwing it out there since STL oddly doesn’t have any TATL. If those cities were to get flights, it would most definitely be to FRA.

x1234

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:02 pm

In retrospect DTW as been mentioned makes sense due to the Auto industries ties with the Bavaria region in terms of suppliers and autonomous driving, etc.

BenflysDTW

Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:25 pm

My guesses would include IAH, ATL, DFW, SEA or PHL.

LH would not serve AUS-MUC right away, they just started service there this year.

I wouldn't guess DFW at the top of the list though since LH has consistently flown larger aircraft to other stations. DTW has seen the A340-600 for some time now, and PHL received the 744 treatment. I think that ATL also sees the A340-600, or at least it has in the past. DFW is usually an A333 or A343. If I had to pick two, my best guesses would be IAH and PHL. LH may replace the United flight with an A359 service to MUC, which will make it back to year-round. ATL was a close pick. If it were DTW, honestly I don' know what DL would do since they have only flown it May-November for the past three years. It would be interesting to see if any of these MUC flights will be seasonal, like with MIA.

airbazar

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:20 pm

stylo777 wrote:

I disagree with the FRA pattern being good. It's awful for U.S. East Coast-India connections and IMO one of the reasons why LH lost so much of its market share in this market. 5-8 hour connection times in FRA is just not acceptable. Flights from DTW/BOS/ORD/PHL/EWR/IAD all arrive before 7:30am or so and most departures to India are after 1PM. I hope that the MUC pattern regarding BLR is better than that of FRA.

stylo777

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:25 pm

N292UX wrote:
If one of them is an FL destination, I wouldn't rule out either RSW or TPA. That's assuming they already serve MCO from MUC, which I think they do.

nope, MCO is served from FRA; and so is TPA.

stylo777

Sun Aug 04, 2019 10:38 pm

airbazar wrote:
I disagree with the FRA pattern being good. It's awful for U.S. East Coast-India connections and IMO one of the reasons why LH lost so much of its market share in this market. 5-8 hour connection times in FRA is just not acceptable. Flights from DTW/BOS/ORD/PHL/EWR/IAD all arrive before 7:30am or so and most departures to India are after 1PM. I hope that the MUC pattern regarding BLR is better than that of FRA.

Unless you are BA with double daily flights to BOM/DEL and daily to other places in India plus multiple daily flights to East Coast destinations, you can hardly avoid at least one longer layover in any of the directions between both mentioned geographical regions. On the other hand, those flights don't cater solely for US East to India traffic, there is much much more (Germany, Europe, Middle East, Africa...). Since the most decisive factor is the (lowest) ticket price, waiting a few hours more in transit does seem "bearable" for the most.
And of course, there is also the EK/QR factor mostly focussing on this important business pillar...

edealinfo

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:37 pm

stylo777 wrote:
airbazar wrote:

Unless you are BA with double daily flights to BOM/DEL and daily to other places in India plus multiple daily flights to East Coast destinations, you can hardly avoid at least one longer layover in any of the directions between both mentioned geographical regions. On the other hand, those flights don't cater solely for US East to India traffic, there is much much more (Germany, Europe, Middle East, Africa...). Since the most decisive factor is the (lowest) ticket price, waiting a few hours more in transit does seem "bearable" for the most.
And of course, there is also the EK/QR factor mostly focussing on this important business pillar...

The low yield mainly originates from India rather than the US where people of Indian origin are better off than you think. Anything beyond a 4- hour layover is unacceptable. A 2-hour window is optimum.

aemoreira1981

Sun Aug 04, 2019 11:58 pm

stylo777 wrote:

DTW seems intriguing as to FRA is currently with first class. I would believe that any new MUC destination would probably need to see first class service from FRA (only the A346, A388, and B748 have F). Some routes got up-gauged to an A346 when the A333s lost F.

I'm actually surprised that no one flies SEA to MUC at all. However, if that's done, I see that as on the A359 while SEA-FRA (which actually has both LH and DE flying it, on the B744 and B763, respectively) is downgauged to either an A343 or A346, or possibly becoming one of the first B779 routes for LH.

flyPIT

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:08 am

Didn't Condor fly SEA-MUC for a hot minute? If LH is starting the route it will be interesting to see how it performs compared to the DE service.
FLYi

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos