Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LH707330

Re: LH to announce two new US-routes from MUC

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:43 pm

I could see SEA happening on a 350, maybe later in the day to offer up more connections and to avoid the midday rush. It won't be SJC, because that airport has narrower taxiway clearance, so >200 ft wingspans become an issue.

BA

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:46 pm

FlyerTalkUserNa wrote:
LH779 wrote:
Jetty wrote:
I would guess SFO and BOS. Auto traffic is way overrated on Airliners. These cities have a lot of demand in other sectors and are served year-round from most other major European hubs.

They announced A380 service from MUC to both BOS and SFO (replacing A346) just a few weeks ago. The 2 new US flights will be new destinations from MUC.

FlyerTalkUserNa wrote:
Interesting list of cities in LH's poll on where they should fly the A380. DFW, ORD, TPA, SEA. If those are the options it feels like they might split the frequencies among multiple destinations.

Yeah they will totally let twitter users decide where to send their A380s :D

While I certainly don’t think LH is letting twitter users decide, PR departments typically include a destination that will actually receive the A380 in that type of poll. Especially when they have route announcements imminent.

They should have left SEA off that poll as it cannot accommodate A380s in normal operations, only emergencies.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

SATexan

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:38 pm

leftcoast8 wrote:
KLAF currently don't fly to Chennai, Bangalore or Hyderabad (KLM will soon be starting AMS-BLR though)

AF has been flying to Bangalore for well over a decade now.

TEMPO

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:33 am

From the Lufthansa news Twitter:

What do Anchorage, Bangalore, Detroit, Las Vegas, Orlando, Phoenix and Seattle have in common? They are all the Lufthansa Group's new destinations in the 2020 summer timetable!
@Airport_FRA
@MUC_Airport
More info: (link: http://ti.lh.com/X4tP) ti.lh.com/X4tP

The new destinations from Munich in detail:

As of 1 June 2020, there will be flights to Seattle daily except Thursdays. The flight will depart from Munich at 3:30 p.m. and arrive at its destination at 4:55 p.m. local time. The return flight will take off in Seattle at 6:45 p.m. and land in Munich at 1:50p.m. the next day.

Another U.S. destination from Munich is Detroit. Beginning on 4 May 2020, Lufthansa will fly to the city in Michigan five times a week – on Mondays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays. The flight will depart at 12:40 p.m. and land at 3:45 p.m. local time. The return flight to Germany will take off at 5:35 p.m. local time, arriving in Munich at 7:45 a.m. the next morning.

As of 31 March 2020, Lufthansa will fly to the Indian metropolis of Bangalore five times a week – on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays. The flight will take off in Munich at 11:55 a.m. and land at 0:05 a.m. local time the following day. The return flight to Germany departs at 1:45 a.m. local time, arriving in Munich at 7:30 a.m.

All of these cities will be served from Munich for the first time with the state-of-the-art and efficient Airbus A350-900.

LH779

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:36 am

New LH routes are:

MUC-SEA x4
MUC-DTW x27
MUC-BLR x13

all operated by A359

In addition to that new EW routes:

MUC-LAS 2/7
MUC-MCO 3/7

FRA-PHX 5/7
FRA-ANC 3/7

all operated by A332

source: LH newsroom

Ishrion

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:44 am

Great adds! Looks like they’re really targeting Condor with PHX/ANC.

x1234

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:52 am

LH is really targeting business traffic as LAS, MCO and PHX have a ton of convention traffic. DTW and MUC are the new centers of autonomous driving too.

Someone83

Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:56 am

New EW routes? I thought they was to cease longhaul? And is this new capacity or are other routes being closed for EW?

upperdeckfan

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:08 am

Interesting to see LH growing at DTW while BA keeps absent.

DTW must be by quite far the largest BA unserved market in the US.
764, 789, 732,733,735,737,738,739,
752, 722, 717,74M,DC10,DC9,M82,
M83, M87, M88,310,319,320,321,332,
333, 343, 346,359,388,L1011,CR2,
CR7, CR9,CRK, E175,E190,ATR42,
DSH8, CS1,CS3

AIRT0M

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:15 am

LH779 wrote:

In addition to that new EW routes:

MUC-LAS 2/7
MUC-MCO 3/7

FRA-PHX 5/7
FRA-ANC 3/7

For an airline, which according to a.net is dropping longhaul ops, EW is adding a lot of new longhaul routes. In addition to that EW starts LAS, WDH, MRU and BGI ex FRA in winter 19/20.

LH779

Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:23 am

Someone83 wrote:
New EW routes? I thought they was to cease longhaul? And is this new capacity or are other routes being closed for EW?

These flights are EW op by XG (Sunexpress Deutschland). They have 7 A332s that currently fly out of DUS and MUC. They will be moved to FRA and MUC (3 each with 1 reserve). The 5 A333s that are EW ob by SN will remain in DUS.

BNAMealer

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:04 am

Can BLR handle all this new capacity to Europe? First KL is entering the market with a 789, then BA announces it will upgauge to the A350, now LH is launching MUC on top of their FRA flight?

I hope this doesn’t jeopardize LH’s existing FRA flight. Likewise, I hope KL doesn’t jeopardize AF

flymco753

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:14 am

Awesome to see DTW get a MUC flight let alone on an A350! I wonder what DL's response is going to be.

Nice to see Munich also connected with MCO. This should do very well with tourism.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

Nimish

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:16 am

BNAMealer wrote:
Can BLR handle all this new capacity to Europe? First KL is entering the market with a 789, then BA announces it will upgauge to the A350, now LH is launching MUC on top of their FRA flight?

I hope this doesn’t jeopardize LH’s existing FRA flight. Likewise, I hope KL doesn’t jeopardize AF

The market is growing in BLR - and these new flights are a good way to participate in the growth. I suspect players like QR will be the most impacted, as they have a limited network in Europe and North America (compared to say LH & it's partners), and also only 1 frequency to BLR compared to 2 flights with LH and AF/KL.
Incredible India!

wedgetail737

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:58 am

Great to see SEA getting additional routes next year. I'm looking forward to trying the SEA-MUC route!

jfklganyc

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:03 pm

ANC? Wow!

B6 cant even make this work from Seattle.

Go LH group!

Awesome additions!

wedgetail737

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:50 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
ANC? Wow!

Go LH group!

Awesome additions!

According to the B6 website, they still fly SEA-ANC during the summers.

Dominion301

Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:59 pm

I wonder what impact this will have on DE’s ANC & PHX routes?

reasonable

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:06 pm

SEA & BLR are no brainers! DTW is a much more interesting move.

Just before the recession, LH flew to DTW double daily (summer of 07 maybe?). There was clearly a good market in Detroit then. Today, though headlines about plant closures set public perception, the industry is evolving from its 20th century ways and investing to build a much more dynamic tech-based mobility industry. DL clearly sees the opportunity, and I'd bet that LH was looking at MUC-DTW for a while.

Perhaps LH let DL launch and grow the market, and then swooped in with a vastly superior product. I wonder if DL will year-round on DTW-MUC or if they'll just exit. Maybe there's enough for both?

kavok

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:13 pm

reasonable wrote:
SEA & BLR are no brainers! DTW is a much more interesting move.

Just before the recession, LH flew to DTW double daily (summer of 07 maybe?). There was clearly a good market in Detroit then. Today, though headlines about plant closures set public perception, the industry is evolving from its 20th century ways and investing to build a much more dynamic tech-based mobility industry. DL clearly sees the opportunity, and I'd bet that LH was looking at MUC-DTW for a while.

Perhaps LH let DL launch and grow the market, and then swooped in with a vastly superior product. I wonder if DL will year-round on DTW-MUC or if they'll just exit. Maybe there's enough for both?

In addition to the DTW-German technology market, which is huge and growing, there is also no ME3 competition in DTW. This allows LH, along with SkyTeam, to capitalize on all the DTW traffic making connections to the Middle East and India.

LH658

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:25 pm

leftcoast8 wrote:
x1234 wrote:
Airbazar, the SIMPLE fact is US-India is NOT that profitable for LH and that's why they charge high prices (and for those corporate's locked into the UA/LH TATL A++ JV they can get away with it). Literally LH and every other European airline can charge more for half the distance flown. Again India is a price sensitive market. As incomes have risen in China, increasingly China is less price sensitive than India. Though TPAC to China lately is dirt cheap as there's been a influx of Chinese competitors (Remember there's 4 Chinese airlines (CN3 + CX) versus 1 Indian international airline (Air India).

There are a couple of Indian destinations that Lufthansa doesn't serve: Hyderabad and Kolkata are the two big ones. From Vancouver, it can be cheaper to fly out of SEA via AS/EK if you're headed to southern India, since Gulf carriers have pushed European legacy carriers out of the market. BA is the only carrier with Europe-Hyderabad service, there are no direct flights between Europe and Kolkata. KLAF currently don't fly to Chennai, Bangalore or Hyderabad (KLM will soon be starting AMS-BLR though)

And that's not to mention the rest of the Indian subcontinent! If you're headed to Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka or Maldives from the western U.S./Canada, you essentially have four choices--connect through DXB/IST, pay out the nose to connect through HKG (to get to DAC/CMB/MLE), or suffer through the horrible longhaul CA/CZ product. Obviously this is less of a concern if you're in SFO/LAX/SEA which have nonstop EK or TK service, but if you're flying out of YVR, YYJ, YYC or YEG (or DEN/SLC) you're screwed.

Air France flies to BLR on a a330/340.

ANA787

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:44 pm

Dominion301 wrote:

DE will likely flee as they did when LH entered SAN and AUS.

NolaMD88fan

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:57 pm

Nice adds by LH. Definitely targeting Condor routes with the addition of PHX and ANC to the EW lineup. I don't see DE sticking around to fight it out either.

BNAMealer

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:23 pm

Nimish wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

The market is growing in BLR - and these new flights are a good way to participate in the growth. I suspect players like QR will be the most impacted, as they have a limited network in Europe and North America (compared to say LH & it's partners), and also only 1 frequency to BLR compared to 2 flights with LH and AF/KL.

Indeed, but isn’t the ME3 preferred in BLR for US bound traffic?

I’m just concerned oversaturation of BLR-Europe will lead to routes getting cut. I hope this MUC flight doesn’t affect FRA

PSU.DTW.SCE

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:29 pm

There is probably room for both LH and DL on the DTW-MUC route.

DL has the point-of-sale strength in the US and DTW along with connectivity on the DTW side.
LH has the point-of-sale strength on the EU and MUC along with connectivity on the MUC side.

As someone else said, its a natural add to ramp-up the capacity in DTW and makes more sense than going double-daily on FRA.

luckyone

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:30 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
ANC? Wow!

Go LH group!

Awesome additions!

B6—and I’m just guessing here—appears to use an aircraft that would otherwise RON at SEA for this service. They depart SEA after 8PM, land in ANC about 11, and immediately turn the aircraft around and are back in SEA by 6am. As long as they can fill the aircraft with even moderate fares which is easy to do in the summer to ANC they’ll keep the service unless there’s a more profitable use of the aircraft.

kavok

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:49 pm

BNAMealer wrote:
Nimish wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

I’m just concerned oversaturation of BLR-Europe will lead to routes getting cut. I hope this MUC flight doesn’t affect FRA

Don’t forget there is significant tech demand to BLR from many USA cities without ME3 routes. People forget that outside of a few large markets, the ME3 is actually fairly limited in coverage across most of the US. And while yes the ME3 has some partnerships with US airlines (B6, etc.) that allow connection opportunities, those connections are often overlooked and don’t offer many of the pax benefits that the United/LH alliance does. Further, Star Alliance obviously provides much better coverage USA nationwide via United.

Point being, LH should easily be able to fill their BLR-FRA/MUC-USA connections with US O/D from airports without ME3 service. And that of course is on top of the local German O/D and American pax who choose to fly *A over the ME3 anyway. MUC/FRA-BLR should do great.

QXorVX

Wed Aug 07, 2019 3:58 pm

luckyone wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:
jfklganyc wrote:
ANC? Wow!

Go LH group!

Awesome additions!

B6—and I’m just guessing here—appears to use an aircraft that would otherwise RON at SEA for this service. They depart SEA after 8PM, land in ANC about 11, and immediately turn the aircraft around and are back in SEA by 6am. As long as they can fill the aircraft with even moderate fares which is easy to do in the summer to ANC they’ll keep the service unless there’s a more profitable use of the aircraft.

B6 has already announced their intentions to leave ANC after this season.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/07/ ... outes.aspx

The elimination of noncore routes extends beyond Washington, D.C. JetBlue has decided to exit the Anchorage, Alaska, market, terminating its seasonal flights from Seattle and Portland at the end of the summer. JetBlue has a small presence in all of those cities, so those flights had minimal strategic importance to the airline. (If demand warrants, it would make more sense to offer nonstop seasonal service from Boston or New York to Anchorage in the future.)

AZLiam

Wed Aug 07, 2019 5:21 pm

PHOENIX (3TV/CBS5) – An additional flight to Germany is coming to Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport in 2020.
Eurowings, a Lufthansa Group airline, will fly nonstop between Phoenix and Frankfurt in April 2020, five days a week until November. Service on this route will be on an Airbus 330-220 aircraft. The aircraft will feature business class, premium and economy classes. In total, 270 passengers will be able to fit on board

https://www.azfamily.com/news/eurowings-to-service-phoenix-frankfort-flights-in-april/article_bbeb926a-b92f-11e9-8626-37fb25908a49.html

MAH4546

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:33 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
ANC? Wow!

Go LH group!

Awesome additions!

Condor already flies to Anchorage (and Fairbanks). Sticking it to Condor.
a.

wedgetail737

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:23 pm

QXorVX wrote:
luckyone wrote:
wedgetail737 wrote:

B6 has already announced their intentions to leave ANC after this season.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/07/ ... outes.aspx

The elimination of noncore routes extends beyond Washington, D.C. JetBlue has decided to exit the Anchorage, Alaska, market, terminating its seasonal flights from Seattle and Portland at the end of the summer. JetBlue has a small presence in all of those cities, so those flights had minimal strategic importance to the airline. (If demand warrants, it would make more sense to offer nonstop seasonal service from Boston or New York to Anchorage in the future.)

Thanks for the update. It doesn't surprise me.

Chugach

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:41 pm

Dominion301 wrote:

In the case of ANC, probably not much. DE has served ANC well over a decade now, maybe even closer to 20 years and they are pretty well established both in terms of bringing visitors in and taking locals to Europe. In addition to ANC they also fly to FAI and YXY, and do pretty well bringing European tourists in to one city and back from another. I believe ANC is 4X weekly now; Eurowings coming in at 3X weekly isn’t likely to chase DE completely out of ANC.

Also worth noting that DE doesn’t seem to have been affected by FI entering the ANC market several years ago. International tourism is a big growth sector for Alaska.

BA

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:58 am

The LH press release doesn't reveal which of these new routes are seasonal.

I'm sure ANC is definitely seasonal.
"Generosity is giving more than you can, and pride is taking less than you need." - Khalil Gibran

DTWLAX

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:00 am

BNAMealer wrote:

KL is starting BLR to replace the 9W flight. So the route already existed before.

blrBird

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:14 am

BNAMealer wrote:
Nimish wrote:
BNAMealer wrote:

LH came close to starting BLR from MUC a while back but was put on back burner....so maybe now they feel it can sustain both routes!
from star dust....

upperdeckfan

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:41 am

Chugach wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

In the case of ANC, probably not much. DE has served ANC well over a decade now, maybe even closer to 20 years and they are pretty well established both in terms of bringing visitors in and taking locals to Europe. In addition to ANC they also fly to FAI and YXY, and do pretty well bringing European tourists in to one city and back from another. I believe ANC is 4X weekly now; Eurowings coming in at 3X weekly isn’t likely to chase DE completely out of ANC.

Also worth noting that DE doesn’t seem to have been affected by FI entering the ANC market several years ago. International tourism is a big growth sector for Alaska.

I do agree that int'l tourism is growing big time in AK but something that makes me wonder is now having the sole two european carriers flying out of Germany, tend to think AK being more appealing to germans than to frenchs, dutchs or british as no service from either Paris, Amsterdam or London.
DSH8, CS1,CS3

stylo777

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:23 pm

as promised to you, the 3 new destinations from MUC are public now.
I'm actually quite surprised about the timings for BLR and SEA:

- LH765 BLR-MUC arrives 07:30 in the morning. Especially for North America connections quite a long wait and particularly for SFO (leaving late afternoon 4.10pm) very unattractive. I strongly believe that this traffic will be routed via FRA still
- LH488 MUC-SEA is leaving MUC in the afternoon a 3.30pm; great to get all the feed from Europe and probably chosen that way in order to have a good "spacing" between the FRA-SEA flight leaving FRA in the morning. However, the return flight arrives MUC at a time around noon just to be able to offer connections specially to Eastern Europe and of course the other major cities.

CaliguyNYC

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:32 pm

stylo777 wrote:

- LH765 BLR-MUC arrives 07:30 in the morning. Especially for North America connections quite a long wait and particularly for SFO (leaving late afternoon 4.10pm) very unattractive. I strongly believe that this traffic will be routed via FRA still
- LH488 MUC-SEA is leaving MUC in the afternoon a 3.30pm; great to get all the feed from Europe and probably chosen that way in order to have a good "spacing" between the FRA-SEA flight leaving FRA in the morning. However, the return flight arrives MUC at a time around noon just to be able to offer connections specially to Eastern Europe and of course the other major cities.

BLR is exactly what they do with BOM. The MUC flight leaves early to allow for EU connections and pushing pax that want to go to say NYC (that have early morning departures). When given the choice I would always take the early. MUC flight as it is much better to leave at 12:50am verses 3am (and the ME3's 4am are the worst - to be avoided, zombie flights). That said, I wish there was enough India-EU O&D to make a 9am India departure work (like LHR has). That is a game changer flight for me. Great for EU connections and many major US cities.

upperdeckfan

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:48 pm

stylo777 wrote:

I don't get what surprises you on the SEA timing. Departure and arrival times in MUC allows for connections all across the large LH european network. Also late departure time out of SEA allows you to work/use half a day in the Seattle area, advantage for business pax compared with the FRA departure at around 1300.
DSH8, CS1,CS3

BA

Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:55 pm

stylo777 wrote:

One thing to keep in mind is that SEA currently has a very cramped and congested international arrivals facility from the 1970's. The MUC flight's arrival time will miss the rush hour time where passengers often get held due to the heavy congestion.

A new International Arrivals Facility is under construction and will open in the Fall of 2020, a few months after LH starts its MUC service, so if they wish to change it to an earlier arrival time, they'll be able to do so later next year.

airDFW

Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:25 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

BLR is exactly what they do with BOM. The MUC flight leaves early to allow for EU connections and pushing pax that want to go to say NYC (that have early morning departures). When given the choice I would always take the early. MUC flight as it is much better to leave at 12:50am verses 3am (and the ME3's 4am are the worst - to be avoided, zombie flights). That said, I wish there was enough India-EU O&D to make a 9am India departure work (like LHR has). That is a game changer flight for me. Great for EU connections and many major US cities.

I thought BLR-LHR flight is at 7 AM, that is very bad time if you ask me!

sabby

Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:55 pm

CaliguyNYC wrote:
I wish there was enough India-EU O&D to make a 9am India departure work (like LHR has). That is a game changer flight for me. Great for EU connections and many major US cities.

I think in about 10-15 years, when growth (barring another recession) will demand additional flights between existing India-EU city pairs, they will be timed for O&D market.

BNAMealer

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:00 pm

airDFW wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

Yes. I’ve taken the flight. Very bad time indeed. I’d would’ve rather gone on AF or LH which leave in the middle of the night.

aemoreira1981

Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:50 am

Seeing the Airlineroute posts, the two new destinations in the USA don't surprise me too much (and BLR seemed to be a cinch in India), but to see PHL gain first class and CLT (from MUC) gain first class, while DEL loses first class (downgraded from A388 to B744) is a surprise.

That said, it appears as though LH would want to route passengers via BLR through MUC more so, as there are better connection times through MUC (the FRA flight leaving almost 2 hours later - same for DEL).

terrificturk

Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:25 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Seeing the Airlineroute posts, the two new destinations in the USA don't surprise me too much (and BLR seemed to be a cinch in India), but to see PHL gain first class and CLT (from MUC) gain first class, while DEL loses first class (downgraded from A388 to B744) is a surprise.

That said, it appears as though LH would want to route passengers via BLR through MUC more so, as there are better connection times through MUC (the FRA flight leaving almost 2 hours later - same for DEL).

Correct. MUC is basically the much better airport to travel to and from and through... and no, not just because of its own brewery and beergarden...

BelAviaFan

Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:06 pm

Brussels Airlines set to operate the Eurowings long-haul programme at Dusseldorf.

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... usseldorf/
https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... a330-type/
BelAviaFan: Belgian Aviation Fan

CaliguyNYC

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:00 am

airDFW wrote:
CaliguyNYC wrote:
stylo777 wrote:

I am referencing the BOM-LHR Jet flight which left BOM at 9 or 9:30AM and offered connections to some US flights. Used that flight for both BOM-LHR O&D and connection to JFK. Loved it. India deserves flight options. LH offering MUC and FRA flights from BOM, DEL and BLR that essentially have the same timings is disappointing.

ANCsupercub

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:43 am

upperdeckfan wrote:
Chugach wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

I do agree that int'l tourism is growing big time in AK but something that makes me wonder is now having the sole two european carriers flying out of Germany, tend to think AK being more appealing to germans than to frenchs, dutchs or british as no service from either Paris, Amsterdam or London.

While maybe not technically European, Icelandair has served Anchorage for 7 or 8 years. Edelweiss tried for a season, but as I remember, they were significantly more expensive than both Iceland and Condor. It would be interesting to see how Norwegian would do. The demand isn't new, but it is growing. Condor flights to Anchorage have been around since the 90's, and has been serving Fairbanks (a community with a metro area of ~100K) since 2001. I don't know how much feed comes from the US side, but one advantage Condor has is their Alaska partnership. Despite DL's growth, Alaskans continue to remain loyal to Alaska and their partners.

RainerBoeing777

Tue Aug 13, 2019 5:09 am

LH658 wrote:
leftcoast8 wrote:
x1234 wrote:
Airbazar, the SIMPLE fact is US-India is NOT that profitable for LH and that's why they charge high prices (and for those corporate's locked into the UA/LH TATL A++ JV they can get away with it). Literally LH and every other European airline can charge more for half the distance flown. Again India is a price sensitive market. As incomes have risen in China, increasingly China is less price sensitive than India. Though TPAC to China lately is dirt cheap as there's been a influx of Chinese competitors (Remember there's 4 Chinese airlines (CN3 + CX) versus 1 Indian international airline (Air India).

There are a couple of Indian destinations that Lufthansa doesn't serve: Hyderabad and Kolkata are the two big ones. From Vancouver, it can be cheaper to fly out of SEA via AS/EK if you're headed to southern India, since Gulf carriers have pushed European legacy carriers out of the market. BA is the only carrier with Europe-Hyderabad service, there are no direct flights between Europe and Kolkata. KLAF currently don't fly to Chennai, Bangalore or Hyderabad (KLM will soon be starting AMS-BLR though)

And that's not to mention the rest of the Indian subcontinent! If you're headed to Pakistan, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka or Maldives from the western U.S./Canada, you essentially have four choices--connect through DXB/IST, pay out the nose to connect through HKG (to get to DAC/CMB/MLE), or suffer through the horrible longhaul CA/CZ product. Obviously this is less of a concern if you're in SFO/LAX/SEA which have nonstop EK or TK service, but if you're flying out of YVR, YYJ, YYC or YEG (or DEN/SLC) you're screwed.

Air France flies to BLR on a a330/340.

as of winter 2019 it will now be operated with Boeing 777-200ER of 312 seats
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG - UA

BelAviaFan

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:08 pm

Nicknuzzii wrote:
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I thought LH was dropping EW's long haul division?

No, they will not. An interesting read in this article: Brussels Airlines set to operate the Eurowings long-haul programme at Dusseldorf

https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/luft ... usseldorf/
BelAviaFan: Belgian Aviation Fan

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos