Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

upperdeckfan

Re: SWISS Announces Zurich To Washington D.C. and Osaka

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:17 pm

I'd say the LX relies mostly on O/D on the ZRH side. With LH's european network being significantly larger in terms of destinations and frequencies, most of LH Group US-bound traffic is fed through FRA/MUC.

dcaviation

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:35 pm

AirAfreak wrote:

Austrian (OS) flew the A310s from Washington/Dulles (IAD) to Vienna (VIE) via Geneva (GVA) in partnership with Swissair (SR). Swissair flew to Zurich (ZRH) from Washington/Dulles (IAD) via Philadelphia (PHL) in cooperation with Austrian Airlines (OS) operated by Boeing 747-300SUD. I should have clarified the existence of the Washington/Dulles (IAD) to Zurich (ZRH) services (operated by Swissair (SR)), flown via a stopover in Boston (BOS) before the establishment of the Philadelphia (PHL) tag to/from IAD. When Swissair (SR) announced the Philadelphia (PHL) outstation as the newest addition to the North American Network, the Washington/Dulles tag attached to that Boston (BOS) flight was discontinued.

Fun fact: Swissair was one of the few airlines to operate the passenger version of the Boeing 747-300 into Washington/Dulles. JAL | Japan Airlines operated the Boeing 747-300 to Washington/Dulles for its’ 3x/weekly (seasonal 4x/weekly) services to Japan, (JAL opened a Sakura Lounge at IAD located on the lower level of the main terminal for the few weekly flights surprisingly) and “Saudia” (Arabian Airlines) operated a mix of Boeing 747-300 and Boeing 747SP on alternating days from Washington/Dulles to Riyadh and Jeddah (via New York).

What you are referring to is for pre 1998 at Dulles. In 1998 Swissair started flying to IAD nonstop from ZRH using mix of A330 and MD-11. When this happened, SR 747-300 was moved on ZRH-BOS-PHL route.

These were good old times at IAD. Transbrasil B767 (with Varig taking over the flight), Spanair B767, Sabena A330, Ethiopian B767 as a tag from YYZ, Aeroflot on A310 and random Saudi B744 as a tag from JFK. Random, because you never knew if they will show up or not. And Korean on B747 was also tag on from JFK.

IADCA

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:47 pm

MartijnNL wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
Bummer. Would have loved to see the A340 to IAD.

You can see it relatively close to IAD. The evening flight of Swiss to BOS is operated by the A340. ;)

I know they're in the same country, but IAD-BOS is over 650 km even by air. It's about the same distance as ZRH-TXL or AMS-EDI.

Bricktop

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:52 pm

IADCA wrote:
MartijnNL wrote:
Bricktop wrote:
Bummer. Would have loved to see the A340 to IAD.

You can see it relatively close to IAD. The evening flight of Swiss to BOS is operated by the A340. ;)

I know they're in the same country, but IAD-BOS is over 650 km even by air. It's about the same distance as ZRH-TXL or AMS-EDI.

Yeah, and being in NY, they often fly over here to get to IAD or on the return to Europe. BOS is out of range for my binoculars. :D

sergegva

Mon Aug 05, 2019 3:55 pm

AirAfreak wrote:
Austrian (OS) flew the A310s from Washington/Dulles (IAD) to Vienna (VIE) via Geneva (GVA) in partnership with Swissair (SR).

In this regard, if I remember correctly, these flights were operated partially or mostly with Swissair A310s (although Austrian Airlines also owned A310s at that time). Is that possible?

sergegva

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:29 pm

This line also didn't live long. It was launched in 1995 and disappeared one year later, shortly after the "Great Betrayal of 1996" :bigmouth: , aka the withdrawal by Swissair of all its long-haul flights from Geneva.

YangFeng

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:35 pm

LH658 wrote:
What is the traffic between KIX - ZRH?

~12'000 one-way PAX in 2017, with strong double-digit growth. I suspect LX will do well on the route, even though they will also increase capacity to TYO by ~50% at the same time.

USAirALB

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:55 pm

AirAfreak wrote:
airzim wrote:
Bhoy wrote:
In 2003, LX were losing money, and announced they were to join oneworld. The route then would have been just O/D, as there's have been little feed at IAD.
The proposed oneworld membership collapsed as LX didn't want to give BA access to their Frequent Flyer database, before LH eventually bought them out a year or two later and they joined Star.

Swissair back in the 90s were in a partnership with Delta (so they had feed via ATL) before moving to American (feed via DFW), before joining Star and initially having big feed via ORD (EWR is only 10 odd years old as a mainline destination - they used a Privatair BBJ on the route before)

I have a memory that OS flew A310s from VIE-ZRH-IAD back when they were part of the Qualiflyer Group. Since SAir Group owned both SR and OS, maybe they were sharing opportunities across the carriers?

Austrian (OS) flew the A310s from Washington/Dulles (IAD) to Vienna (VIE) via Geneva (GVA) in partnership with Swissair (SR). Swissair flew to Zurich (ZRH) from Washington/Dulles (IAD) via Philadelphia (PHL) in cooperation with Austrian Airlines (OS) operated by Boeing 747-300SUD. I should have clarified the existence of the Washington/Dulles (IAD) to Zurich (ZRH) services (operated by Swissair (SR)), flown via a stopover in Boston (BOS) before the establishment of the Philadelphia (PHL) tag to/from IAD. When Swissair (SR) announced the Philadelphia (PHL) outstation as the newest addition to the North American Network, the Washington/Dulles tag attached to that Boston (BOS) flight was discontinued.

Fun fact: Swissair was one of the few airlines to operate the passenger version of the Boeing 747-300 into Washington/Dulles. JAL | Japan Airlines operated the Boeing 747-300 to Washington/Dulles for its’ 3x/weekly (seasonal 4x/weekly) services to Japan, (JAL opened a Sakura Lounge at IAD located on the lower level of the main terminal for the few weekly flights surprisingly) and “Saudia” (Arabian Airlines) operated a mix of Boeing 747-300 and Boeing 747SP on alternating days from Washington/Dulles to Riyadh and Jeddah (via New York).

When about did SR switch to nonstop ZRH-IAD service? I know there are pics of SR/LX A332/MD11 in the database at IAD and I think by the time LX took over the service it was nonstop.

B752OS

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:14 pm

Will these new flights fully tap out their long-haul fleet? It seems pretty impressive how they're able to manage such a large long-haul network with a relatively small fleet. It's curious why their South American network is so small.

qm001

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:21 pm

MalevTU134 wrote:
While SK was also a member of Qualiflyer, they had no ownership in OS.

SK was never Qualiflyer, I think you mean SN! SK was a founding member of Star Alliance.

DALCE

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:36 am

B752OS wrote:
Will these new flights fully tap out their long-haul fleet? It seems pretty impressive how they're able to manage such a large long-haul network with a relatively small fleet. It's curious why their South American network is so small.

Long flights, high costs and relatively low yields. So better to aim at shorter flights with a better yield. Don't forget LX has to fill F-class and a large C-class. LX does not tend to have 80% of their C-class seats filled with free upgrades...

upperdeckfan

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:35 am

B752OS wrote:

LH group as a whole have a small presence in LatAm when compared to AF/KL. Not even bringing IAG into the comparison due to the obvious ties with the region through IB.

LX specifically targets wealthier markets such as the major business centers and high end tourist spots in US and Asia. Switzerland-LatAm is a small market proven by the fact that no airline from the region serve ZRH.

DALCE wrote:
Long flights, high costs and relatively low yields. So better to aim at shorter flights with a better yield. Don't forget LX has to fill F-class and a large C-class. LX does not tend to have 80% of their C-class seats filled with free upgrades...

No airline will stay in business while filling 80% (or 60% or 30%) of long haul premium seats with free upgrades. Unfortunately a.net has no way to forbid this kind of statements......

DALCE

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:54 am

upperdeckfan wrote:
. Unfortunately a.net has no way to forbid this kind of statements......

really.... you just made it to my list of useless contributors. Thanks a lot! ;)
Apparently you have no clue about how the various airlines tend to fill seats in order make make a buck or two.....

upperdeckfan

Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:25 am

DALCE wrote:
upperdeckfan wrote:
. Unfortunately a.net has no way to forbid this kind of statements......

really.... you just made it to my list of useless contributors. Thanks a lot! ;)
Apparently you have no clue about how the various airlines tend to fill seats in order make make a buck or two.....

I do have some clue I'll be kind enough to share with you what I know from closed sources at some US and european legacies:

Assuming what you call "free" upgrades is when a paid Y pax is upgraded at no charge these are used only when a Y is overbooked which is an uncommon practice these days on long-haul flights.
Some carriers do offer paid upgrades to high tier FF's or full fare Y pax a few days before departure. Only on selected flights and to selected customers as said.
Award tickets or upgrade availability on long haul J is topped around 10% by most of carriers. Depending on route performance it can be plus/minus 5%. Awards are entitled to FF programs so I don't count them as "free" awards, you spend your money to earn the miles to get the award.
All carriers release award seats on last minute if there is availabity, LX is one of them.
Some carriers offer upgrade "auctions" to full fare Y pax, LX is one who does it.

stylo777

Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:28 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
Assuming what you call "free" upgrades is when a paid Y pax is upgraded at no charge these are used only when a Y is overbooked which is an uncommon practice these days on long-haul flights.

I invite you to spend some time these days at the legacy hubs and see yourself how "uncommon" the overbooking practice is....
your generalist view and approach doesn't apply to all airlines, not even on every route.
revenue and route steering is a highly complex topic; there are premium heavy routes, but also leisure driven ones. at the end of the day, every empty seat is lost potential revenue; therefore, airlines would go out of their way and heavily overbook leisure heavy routes if they are certain to be able to accommodate the passengers in business. you can't change your aircraft configuration over night, nor can you own a fleet with hundreds of different cabin configurations.

PhilInBRN

Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:06 pm

B752OS wrote:

LX combined with Edelweiss Air currently offers a small, but comprehensive network to Latin America
- GRU 7/7 77W (340 seats)
- GIG 2/7 A343 (314 seats)
- EZE 2/7 A343
- HAV 3/7 A333 (315 seats)
- VRA 1/7 A333 (seasonal)
- PUJ 3/7 A333
- SJO 3/7 A343
- CUN 3/7 A333

The LX-only network is indeed quite marginal and could potentially be expanded with MEX, BOG or SCL in the future. But given that WK also offers a decent cabin product the two airlines combined have a pretty decent offering considering the small size of the Swiss market (ZRH/GVA/BSL combined catchment area of about 12-14 million people). When compared to all of Scandinavia, the network to the Americas is actually huge for such a small European market.
Another disadvantage to serving destinations such as EZE or SCL are the long ground times and the fact that this leads to a less efficient use of aircraft in the fleet.

dcaviation

Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:10 pm

USAirALB wrote:
[
When about did SR switch to nonstop ZRH-IAD service? I know there are pics of SR/LX A332/MD11 in the database at IAD and I think by the time LX took over the service it was nonstop.

In 1998 when the A330 entered the service.

Austrian flew their own metal A310 to IAD. I don't remember seeing SR A310s at IAD ever (at least from 1996 when I started spotting at IAD).

mcg

Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:17 pm

Why did LX choose IAD when IAD is already served by Star Alliance partner UA? My guess is that LX is aiming for Swiss originating O/D traffic (perhaps government officials) that prefer LX over UA but I don't really know and am curious. I don't think the westbound timing is particularly good for connections. Thanks in advance.

runway23

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:23 pm

mcg wrote:
Why did LX choose IAD when IAD is already served by Star Alliance partner UA? My guess is that LX is aiming for Swiss originating O/D traffic (perhaps government officials) that prefer LX over UA but I don't really know and am curious. I don't think the westbound timing is particularly good for connections. Thanks in advance.

There's a joint venture between LX/UA so this was mutually agreed. It's very similar to when UA added flights on SFO-ZRH.

The westbound leaves at the end of the midday bank ex ZRH, it's a bit later than the other flights but that's due to limited gate availability (as the aircraft will probably be towed in to the gate used by the DXB/MCT departure at 1225).

Also take into account the fact that UA will probably be down capacity wise on IAD-Switzerland as GVA/ZRH will probably both be operated by High-J 763 next summer. So a 333 adds back capacity in Y, whilst opening more connections with a different timing to the UA flight.

WildcatYXU

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:01 pm

upperdeckfan wrote:
All carriers release award seats on last minute if there is availabity, LX is one of them.

Not true. J award seats are routinely available months out. Including J tickets on LX. As an example, my younger son is right now aboard LX86 flying on a reward J ticket. He got this ticket a half year ago.
LX however, doesn't release any F seats to other *A member frequent flyers.

upperdeckfan wrote:
Some carriers offer upgrade "auctions" to full fare Y pax, LX is one who does it.

Full Y fares are comparable in price to lower J fare codes, so an auction like this wouldn't make any sense. So I believe any but the cheapest Y fares would be eligible to bid for an upgrade.
LX also sells upgrades at check - in and aboard.

kimimm19

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:35 pm

DALCE wrote:
B752OS wrote:

And the fact that solo business class can only be reserved in advance for about 200 CHF... On top of having usually a more expensive fare to begin with.

FSDan

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:50 pm

B752OS wrote:

Yes, they will. The long haul fleet is actually already pretty much tapped out, but the two arriving 77Ws will allow for these expansions.

As of this September, here are the routes operated by each LX long haul fleet:

333 (13 out of 14 required to operate schedule)
GVA-JFK
ZRH-YUL
ZRH-ORD x1
ZRH-MIA
ZRH-EWR
ZRH-JFK x2
ZRH-BOS x1
ZRH-NBO-DAR-ZRH
ZRH-DXB-MCT
ZRH-DEL
ZRH-BOM
ZRH-PEK

343 (5 out of 5 required to operate schedule)
ZRH-BOS x1
ZRH-JNB
ZRH-NRT
ZRH-PVG

77W (10 out of 10 required to operate schedule)
ZRH-SFO
ZRH-LAX
ZRH-ORD x1
ZRH-GRU
ZRH-HKG
ZRH-BKK
ZRH-SIN

Next summer, ZRH-MIA will operated by a 77W instead of a 333, allowing the 333 to start up ZRH-IAD. And ZRH-NRT will be operated by a 77W instead of a 343, allowing the 343 to start up ZRH-KIX.

mcg

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:10 pm

runway23 wrote:
mcg wrote:

There's a joint venture between LX/UA so this was mutually agreed. It's very similar to when UA added flights on SFO-ZRH.

The westbound leaves at the end of the midday bank ex ZRH, it's a bit later than the other flights but that's due to limited gate availability (as the aircraft will probably be towed in to the gate used by the DXB/MCT departure at 1225).

Also take into account the fact that UA will probably be down capacity wise on IAD-Switzerland as GVA/ZRH will probably both be operated by High-J 763 next summer. So a 333 adds back capacity in Y, whilst opening more connections with a different timing to the UA flight.

Thanks for the info. I'm happy to see the 343 add to North America, eastbound the schedule will work well for me (speaking selfishly) and is way preferable to 773 used to ORD. Westbound not so much, but I suppose the timing will work well for connections at ZRH. Thanks again.

DALCE

Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:32 am

TLV is double daily 333, so that makes 14/14 for the A330's.

Toinou

Wed Aug 07, 2019 11:07 am

mcg wrote:

I'm not quite sure swiss government officials prefer to fly LX. I not source to say if this is right or not but I would say they probably tend to choose using a mix of price and quality of service (which may effectively make them choose LX over UA). Swiss government doesn't seem to be very patriotic in its commercial choices. But maybe someone has a better (ie more informed) input than me.

dcaviation

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:17 pm

There is demand for ZRH IAD. The flight has been operated in peak times using B764 and other times B788.
GVA was always B763 with few times up-gauged to B772.
UA 53/52 are always full.

TKLHG

Wed Aug 07, 2019 1:26 pm

Ionosphere wrote:
I'm surprised Swiss doesn't already fly IAD-ZRH. UA & LX both fly ZRH-EWR/SFO.

In October 1996, Swissair flew IAD-BOS-ZRH twice a week on the 743.

it is part of the deal I guess. Another angle of the issue is that why BRU and IAD is only served by UA...

FlyPNS1

Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:40 pm

TKLHG wrote:
Ionosphere wrote:

it is part of the deal I guess. Another angle of the issue is that why BRU and IAD is only served by UA...

SN flies IAD-BRU, along with UA. Almost all of the major European cities pairs are served by two carriers from IAD (whether both Star or not). Though some are seasonal services.

From IAD:
DUB: UA, EI
LHR: UA, BA, VS
CDG: UA, AF
BRU: UA, SN
AMS: UA, KL
MUC: UA, LH
FRA: UA, LH
FCO: UA, AZ
LIS, UA, TP

About the only other city pair that could possibly support two carriers is MAD (where currently only UA flies it seasonally), but even that is dicey.

Other routes like IAD-EDI/BCN/GVA/CPH/SVO are too thin to support two carriers from IAD I suspect.

AirAfreak

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:41 am

sergegva wrote:
AirAfreak wrote:
Austrian (OS) flew the A310s from Washington/Dulles (IAD) to Vienna (VIE) via Geneva (GVA) in partnership with Swissair (SR).

In this regard, if I remember correctly, these flights were operated partially or mostly with Swissair A310s (although Austrian Airlines also owned A310s at that time). Is that possible?

Due to operational reasons, equipment swaps are possible. The seat map section of the Swissair (SR) timetables noted the A310 with an “Intercontinental” seat map; configured for long-haul passenger service. Though, a 743 equipment code was scheduled for service in the printed timetables, it was possible to have seen an occasional A310 at Washington/Dulles (IAD).

AirAfreak

Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:59 am

USAirALB wrote:
AirAfreak wrote:
airzim wrote:

I have a memory that OS flew A310s from VIE-ZRH-IAD back when they were part of the Qualiflyer Group. Since SAir Group owned both SR and OS, maybe they were sharing opportunities across the carriers?

I will have to take a moment to locate my collection of Swissair timetables to answer your question. If I remember correctly, the nonstop flight was inaugurated after the Atlantic Excellence Alliance was formed; included SQ/DL/SR. And yes, Singapore Airlines (SQ) was a member of the “Atlantic Excellence” of airlines because they offered the existing New York/JFK - Frankfurt (FRA) service with the added Chicago/O’Hare (ORD) - Amsterdam (AMS) nonstop passenger services.

AirAfreak

Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:25 am

dcaviation wrote:
AirAfreak wrote:

What you are referring to is for pre 1998 at Dulles. In 1998 Swissair started flying to IAD nonstop from ZRH using mix of A330 and MD-11. When this happened, SR 747-300 was moved on ZRH-BOS-PHL route.

These were good old times at IAD. Transbrasil B767 (with Varig taking over the flight), Spanair B767, Sabena A330, Ethiopian B767 as a tag from YYZ, Aeroflot on A310 and random Saudi B744 as a tag from JFK. Random, because you never knew if they will show up or not. And Korean on B747 was also tag on from JFK.

I am almost certain that would be ~1995/96 for the Philadelphia (PHL) stopover from Washington/Dulles (IAD). IAD was my home airport for some of those years during the 1990’s and one of my most memorable moments was seeing both Aeroflot IL-86 and IL-62 (around 1993 or maybe 1994) destined for Moscow (SVO) via Shannon (SNN). I was a frequent UM traveler on the Continental Express flight numbers CO3490/3491 IAD-EWR-IAD ATR-42 services flying from my father’s home to my mother’s home for many years so I witnessed the change from the U.S.S.R. flag to the Russian Federation flag on the tail of those Aeroflot planes. I enjoyed those moments of plane spotting at IAD throughout the 80’s/90’s.

TKLHG

Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:58 pm

FlyPNS1 wrote:
TKLHG wrote:
Ionosphere wrote:

SN flies IAD-BRU, along with UA. Almost all of the major European cities pairs are served by two carriers from IAD (whether both Star or not). Though some are seasonal services.

SN is definitely seasonal.

YangFeng

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:00 pm

YangFeng wrote:
The next possible ZRH to US route I personally can see is ORD operated by UA.

And it's here...two weeks after LX announces ZRH-IAD, UA announces ORD-ZRH.

RainerBoeing777

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:07 pm

YangFeng wrote:
YangFeng wrote:

Excellent news! the only route that is needed is IAH-ZRH

YYZORD

Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:16 pm

LX should also add ZRH-YYZ to compliment AC YYZ-ZRH

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
YangFeng wrote:
YangFeng wrote:

Excellent news! the only route that is needed is IAH-ZRH

Blerg

Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:33 pm

So it means ZRH-ORD will be now three times a day in summer?

kimimm19

Thu Aug 22, 2019 11:19 pm

Blerg wrote:

I just can't imagine that it is that necessary...

I mean that'll be a 77W, a333, and a 787...

Blerg

Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:09 am

kimimm19 wrote:
Blerg wrote:

I just can't imagine that it is that necessary...

I mean that'll be a 77W, a333, and a 787...

That's going to be a lot of extra capacity. I wonder if it might impact OS' ORD numbers.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos