MrGtheSheepA346
Topic Author

Georgian Airways flight attendant standing in aisle during landing

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Today I returned home from a 3 week round trip of beautiful Georgia. On the flight home from Tbilisi to Amsterdam (A9651), one of the flight attendants remained standing in the aisle during final approach and touch down(!) in AMS. This happened while holding something like an ice pack on the head of an accompanied infant passenger, but still I had never seen anything like this before and is against all protocols AFAIK. It also didn't seem like a medical emergency and, to me, the parents could have taken care of their child themselves by holding the ice pack. Am I right in seeing this?

Insertnamehere

Re: Georgian Airways flight attendant standing in aisle during landing

Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:55 pm

Could also to ensure passengers do not get up after landing. Its a common occurrence for Russian and Eastern European passengers to hop up the second the wheels hit the tarmac and grab their bags.

MrGtheSheepA346
Topic Author

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:23 pm

In fact people did indeed get up before parking at the gate, but he was clearly not standing in the aisle with the goal of preventing this. As said above, I have never seen anything like this before.
Last edited by MrGtheSheepA346 on Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Airontario

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:25 pm

MrGtheSheepA346 wrote:
Am I right in seeing this?

How can we know? You were the one on the flight. I doubt anyone else here was on it. If you saw it, you saw it.

If you're worried about this situation, you should contact the airline. Posting about it here won't really accomplish anything.

MrGtheSheepA346
Topic Author

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:27 pm

It is more about confirming if what I saw was indeed a protocol 'violation' @Airontario, not about 'accomplishing' anything

smi0006

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:44 pm

In the event of a medical emergency, the captain can give permission for cabin crew to attend to the passenger so long as all doors are manned.

The infants injuries could have have been greater than you knew, or more to the medical condition.

Doesn’t seem like a major issue if no weather was expected and all doors were manned. Hope the infant is okay.

Prost

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:00 pm

At my carrier we do not need permission to deal with a customer’s medical needs, they trust that we’ll make the appropriate choices. It sounds to me like you had a very caring flight attendant.

737max8

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:25 pm

Ive seen flight attendants standing in the aisle on US airlines during landing for various reasons. It's not like it happens that often, but I don't think it's that big of a deal or thread worthy.
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388

opticalilyushin

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:31 pm

I've been on an Arkia flight where a member of cabin crew was standing in the aisle, casually chatting to a passenger he knew, while the aircraft was rotating..

twicearound

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:43 pm

MrGtheSheepA346 wrote:
It is more about confirming if what I saw was indeed a protocol 'violation' @Airontario, not about 'accomplishing' anything

It's up to the safety professional to determine whether it was appropriate for them to be up during landing. Not a violation if its safety/ medical related.

twicearound

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:47 pm

smi0006 wrote:
In the event of a medical emergency, the captain can give permission for cabin crew to attend to the passenger so long as all doors are manned.

The infants injuries could have have been greater than you knew, or more to the medical condition.

Doesn’t seem like a major issue if no weather was expected and all doors were manned. Hope the infant is okay.

The captain doesn't "give permission". He's informed of the situation in the cabin and the actions taken by the crew. There isn't as much back and forth between the two sides of "the office" as you may think during a situation. Pilots and Flight attendants are trained to work quite independently from each other during any situation while still utilizing CRM to keep each other informed and safe.

PlymSpotter

Mon Aug 05, 2019 4:52 pm

I had a similar incident with airbaltic whilst landing at Kiev. A man in my row passed out and slumped into the aisle on final approach. He was attended by crew using Oxygen during the landing, although their sympathy wore off when an empty bottle of Vodka fell out of his coat and it became clear he'd passed out due to being off his face.

During such incidents, it is standard protocol at most airlines to attend the passenger.
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Eikie

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:03 pm

twicearound wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

The captain doesn't "give permission". He's informed of the situation in the cabin and the actions taken by the crew. There isn't as much back and forth between the two sides of "the office" as you may think during a situation. Pilots and Flight attendants are trained to work quite independently from each other during any situation while still utilizing CRM to keep each other informed and safe.

The captain has the final responsibility for the safety of both the passengers as the crew. So, while he probably will not give direct permission, he will forbid it when he believes it is needed.

When the mentioned cabincrew does fall, or worse, the captain will mostly be the first to be questioned why they did not follow standard procedures.

raylee67

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:16 pm

I have experienced something like this before on a Thai flight from BKK to HKG three years ago on a 777-200. But that experience was purely due to incompetency of the crew.

Flying time was about 2:30. After departing from BKK, the flight deck did not turn off the seat belt light until the flight has flown pass the coast of Vietnam. I suspect they have forgotten. The amazing thing is that the flight attendants remained seated until the seat belt light was off (instead of coming up when the flight passed 10000 ft). There was no turbulent and it's completely calm skies. At that point, we were already half way thru the flight. They started distributing meals at the normal pace, not realizing they have started that procedure way later than normal. When they started distributing tea and coffee after the meal, we were already only about 15 min from landing. Only until then, they started to realize they were running out of time. But they still need to take all the trays and garbage back. The announcement to tell the passengers to prepare for landing did not come on until we were already at about 1000 ft and on final approach lined up with the runway. Of course, as per procedure, the FAs still need to walk the aisles to make sure people have fastened their seat and put up their tray tables, etc. The result is, at the time we touched down on the runway at HKG, at least 4 to 5 FAs were literally running on the aisles making sure the cabin is prepared.

I have flown TG several times. Never experienced something like this before. Not on any other airlines either.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 351 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

flyer1225

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:36 pm

raylee67 wrote:
I have experienced something like this before on a Thai flight from BKK to HKG three years ago on a 777-200. But that experience was purely due to incompetency of the crew.

Flying time was about 2:30. After departing from BKK, the flight deck did not turn off the seat belt light until the flight has flown pass the coast of Vietnam. I suspect they have forgotten. The amazing thing is that the flight attendants remained seated until the seat belt light was off (instead of coming up when the flight passed 10000 ft). There was no turbulent and it's completely calm skies. At that point, we were already half way thru the flight. They started distributing meals at the normal pace, not realizing they have started that procedure way later than normal. When they started distributing tea and coffee after the meal, we were already only about 15 min from landing. Only until then, they started to realize they were running out of time. But they still need to take all the trays and garbage back. The announcement to tell the passengers to prepare for landing did not come on until we were already at about 1000 ft and on final approach lined up with the runway. Of course, as per procedure, the FAs still need to walk the aisles to make sure people have fastened their seat and put up their tray tables, etc. The result is, at the time we touched down on the runway at HKG, at least 4 to 5 FAs were literally running on the aisles making sure the cabin is prepared.

I have flown TG several times. Never experienced something like this before. Not on any other airlines either.

Surprised that no one called up to the flight deck to check up re the seatbelt sign, but I've had a similar experience or two on 9W (albeit all crew was seated before landing).
6E/9W/AA/AF/AI/AS/B6/BA/DJ/DL/EK/FL/HA/IC/IT/JQ/LH/LX/OS/QF/S2/SG/UA/US/VS/VX/WN

SurlyBonds

Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:45 pm

MrGtheSheepA346 wrote:
In fact people did indeed get up before parking at the gate, but he was clearly not standing in the aisle with the goal of preventing this. As said above, I have never seen anything like this before.

Forget singling out Georgian Airways for this. Try Southwest.

A few years ago I was sitting in Row 1 of a WN flight. There were two FAs in the forward galley, and I could see them both easily. One of them never sat down for final approach or landing. Immediately after landing, she turned to her fellow FA and said, "been a while since I've done that" or something similar.

Now, I actually looked up the relevant FARs, and there is indeed a regulation saying that cabin crew (and pax) need to be seated for landing.

iseeyyc

Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:49 pm

Surf's Up!

SocalApproach

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:01 pm

If there is a reason for a FA to not be in position for landing it is approved as long as the FA briefs a passenger or preferably an off duty crew member from another airline how to operate the door in case of an emergency. That person isn’t allowed to sit in the jumpseat but they need to be in a passenger seat closest to the door. There is more specifics to this but it Varies from airline to airline. This is just basic information

lhrnue

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:04 pm

Had AF flight attendants not being on their seats for start and landing ... their seems to be no check between cockpit and cabin.

djvalume

Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:05 pm

That's a big No-No at my airline and I really doubt it is allowed anywhere else.

FB330

Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:33 pm

I was on a KLM F70 a couple of years back flying into the UK with a sick passenger directly in front. The crew stood up during landing and I was asked to stand up immediately after the landing to prevent those from behind moving forwards. Not seen it before or since but all handled very professionally by the crew.

MartijnNL

Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:16 pm

I remember watching a documentary about George W. Bush running for president. He flew around the country in a Boeing 757. Quite a few reporters joined him on his travels. On one of the flights passengers kept standing in the aisle for fun when the aircraft landed. It didn't look unsafe to me at all.

asuflyer

Mon Aug 05, 2019 11:00 pm

I have seen crews from IB, TP, and JJ standing during landing. None of it was intentional, and while most likely against protocol, it clearly happens from time to time.

smi0006

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:17 am

RetiredNWA wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

What kind of nonsense are you writing here?

In 32 years of professional flying, I’ve never “given a flight attendant” permission to deal with any sort of in-cabin medical emergency. You are lost in your own bullshit.

I’m sorry, let’s try be respectful here shall we?

Perhaps I wasn’t sufficiently clear - At my airline, yes the captain can give permission for cabin crew to remain out of their seats during landing to attend to medically unwell customers. The examples given during training were continuing CPR. Without the captains permission all crew needed to be seated for landing.

smi0006

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:26 am

twicearound wrote:
smi0006 wrote:

I’m sorry I’m only speaking for my airline, for crew to be standing in the cabin during landing permission was required in case there was adverse conditions they needed to be aware of. Each airline is different.

SocalApproach

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:42 am

RetiredNWA wrote:
SocalApproach wrote:
If there is a reason for a FA to not be in position for landing it is approved as long as the FA briefs a passenger or preferably an off duty crew member from another airline how to operate the door in case of an emergency. That person isn’t allowed to sit in the jumpseat but they need to be in a passenger seat closest to the door. There is more specifics to this but it Varies from airline to airline. This is just basic information

And what are you taking about? Able bodied persons from “other” airlines? What??!! What??!! Are teenagers with millennial brains running the show here?
Nonsense.

You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. There are plenty of situations such as an incapacitated Flight Attendant who cannot be in position for landing or if that Flight Attendant is tending to a passenger on board. Some airlines in their Flight Attendant Manuals do want the FA to stay with the person who is requiring attention if necessary and if this were to happen, passengers or other crew members of other airlines which are preferred are briefed on how to operate the exit door. Kinda like how you are briefed while sitting in the exit row in a passenger seat? Its not as ludacris as you might think but maybe it was different back at NWA in 1960 :sarcastic:

AirKevin

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:58 pm

Back in 2015, I was on a United flight where a medical emergency happened near PHL as we were on approach to EWR. Several passengers went to the back of the plane to assist, and I didn't see a single one return to their seats at any point prior to landing. So it's definitely possible.
Captain Kevin

millionsofmiles

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:06 am

Back when full hot meals were served in coach on very short US domestic flights...especially prior to the adoption of aisle carts (AA was one of the few US domestic carriers to retrofit the 727 galleys for meal carts)...it was very common to see flight attendants standing on landing, generally still running to get everything picked up. An announcement to put meal trays under the seat in front also happened occasionally when flight attendants couldn’t get all the trays picked up.

Etheereal

Wed Aug 07, 2019 6:50 am

Insertnamehere wrote:
Could also to ensure passengers do not get up after landing. Its a common occurrence for Russian and Eastern European passengers to hop up the second the wheels hit the tarmac and grab their bags.

This happens too often in Mexico as well..
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos