jrkmsp
Topic Author

Delta ending contract with GoJet, Compass

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:19 pm

It seems like Delta has finally rationalized it regional carriers to just three — as Ed Bastian said they would in a leaked video from about a year ago.

Trans States supposedly announced internally today that GoJet would transfer the bulk of its Delta flying to Endeavor by the end of 2020, with a few CR9s sticking around until 2022 unless an earlier transfer can be arranged for those frames as well. Here's Endeavor's announcement of the increased CRJ flying: https://edvonthefly.com/2019/08/06/edvc ... or-growth/.

In addition, Compass ERJs will be transferred to Republic by the end of 2020, though I haven't seen an official announcement of that transfer.

And, it seems Delta is going back to the future, by assigning each of its regional carriers a geographic territory to improve operations. SkyWest will, obviously, be in the west. How Endeavor and Republic will split up remains to be seen.

I'll be curious to see what happens with Compass. They have some AA flying still, and there are rumors of UA flying coming their way. It's sad that one of the last links to the old Northwest is parting ways with Delta, but business is business.

Scarebus34

Re: Somewhat confirmed: Delta ending contract with GoJet, Compass

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:31 pm

Compass is trying to push rumors that they are going to get UA flying, I’d be very surprised if that happened. Why would United further complicate their express operations with yet another carrier. Makes no sense, but that’s precisely why it may happen. Lol.

Maybe TSH will sell Compass and they can merge with ExpressJet.... XJT could use the pilots and then United will be able to maintain control.

MIflyer12

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:41 pm

Do Compass or GoJet own/lease directly any of the aircraft they fly for Delta, or are they all DL-owned?

Those two represent just 65 of the 445 frames flown as Delta Connection 12/31/18.

ethernal

Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:51 pm

I'm curious how this will impact Delta in the long run with their regional operations. I do believe that there will be short term operational benefits, but at the same time, by reducing the number of carriers and creating geographic regions for them they are creating their own vendor lock-in that may result in increasing costs and lower performance in the long run.

Scarebus34

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:00 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Do Compass or GoJet own/lease directly any of the aircraft they fly for Delta, or are they all DL-owned?

Those two represent just 65 of the 445 frames flown as Delta Connection 12/31/18.

Compass doesn’t own anything. Literally nothing, everything was leased. GoJet I believed owned just a handful of 900s but the rest Delta owned.

amcnd

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:07 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:
Compass is trying to push rumors that they are going to get UA flying, I’d be very surprised if that happened. Why would United further complicate their express operations with yet another carrier. Makes no sense, but that’s precisely why it may happen. Lol.

Maybe TSH will sell Compass and they can merge with ExpressJet.... XJT could use the pilots and then United will be able to maintain control.

Exactly. XJT will need the next 20 aircraft to get there E175 fleet to a “justifiable “ size for parts/spares ect... Compass getting UA flying seems a long shot unless Mesa losses some..

jrkmsp
Topic Author

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:13 pm

Here's the full memo from Delta, posted by someone on Reddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comment ... _carriers/

It aligns with what I had seen/heard from people in the know.

freakyrat

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:30 pm

Skywest has a maintenance base in SBN and can work on all CRJ models in their fleet. Even with the presence of this base Delta in recent months have scheduled larger Endeavor Air CRJ700 and CRJ900 in for the Atlanta Flights and Detroit Flights. Presently all SBN flying has returned to Skywest CRJ200's I wonder if this will continue to facilitate overnight maintenance on their 200's or will Delta start moving to the larger CRJ's from both carriers at least for the Atlanta flights which are always pretty full.

Murf

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:56 pm

Someone was said to be getting the United CRJ 550 flying... Am I remembering correctly that Gojet or compass was one of the airlines on the short list

Murf

ScottB

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:02 pm

ethernal wrote:
I'm curious how this will impact Delta in the long run with their regional operations. I do believe that there will be short term operational benefits, but at the same time, by reducing the number of carriers and creating geographic regions for them they are creating their own vendor lock-in that may result in increasing costs and lower performance in the long run.

Vendor lock-in is indeed a potential problem, but with consolidation in the regional segment over the past decades, in part encouraged by the network carriers themselves, there just aren't many options for switching vendors in any event, particularly in the case of larger regional operators like SkyWest (which owns EV) or Republic. G7 and CP are both owned by Trans States and the only other independent regional is Mesa (LOL).

Delta, of course, owns 9E. If they're going to rely on two outsourced regionals, OO and YX are probably their best options at this point anyway.

DiamondFlyer

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:05 pm

ScottB wrote:
ethernal wrote:

Vendor lock-in is indeed a potential problem, but with consolidation in the regional segment over the past decades, in part encouraged by the network carriers themselves, there just aren't many options for switching vendors in any event, particularly in the case of larger regional operators like SkyWest (which owns EV) or Republic. G7 and CP are both owned by Trans States and the only other independent regional is Mesa (LOL).

Delta, of course, owns 9E. If they're going to rely on two outsourced regionals, OO and YX are probably their best options at this point anyway.

Just to point it out, Skywest no longer owns EV. And ZW is still an independently owned regional carrier
From my cold, dead hands

jrkmsp
Topic Author

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:15 pm

ScottB wrote:
ethernal wrote:

Delta also owns a big chunk of YX, along with AA and UA, based on the Republic bankruptcy. So it's really SkyWest and two carriers Delta owns at least a part of.

aemoreira1981

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:17 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:

Compass - all DL owned.
GoJet - all CRJ7s DL owned, all CRJ9s leased from Nordic Aviation Capital.

ScottB

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:17 pm

DiamondFlyer wrote:
Just to point it out, Skywest no longer owns EV. And ZW is still an independently owned regional carrier

Good points, both. I suppose I forgot about CommutAir as well. The ownership of EV seems to be indirectly controlled by United, though.

Scarebus34

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:18 pm

Murf wrote:
Someone was said to be getting the United CRJ 550 flying... Am I remembering correctly that Gojet or compass was one of the airlines on the short list

Murf

GoJet and this was announced a long time ago. They already do flying for United so really nothing is changing in that regard. However, GoJet apparently has staffing issues which has UA re-thinking the 550 at G7.

enilria

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:36 pm

Moving Skywest to the West to improve operations makes little sense. They have at risk everywhere. Does this impact at risk?

DiamondFlyer

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:38 pm

enilria wrote:
Moving Skywest to the West to improve operations makes little sense. They have at risk everywhere. Does this impact at risk?

West, as in, leaving LGA. That’s about it
From my cold, dead hands

rsgolfpunk

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:48 pm

Maybe someone can confirm that DL’s equity interest in Republic is under 20%. Still a good size stake.

JBo

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:57 pm

enilria wrote:

How much of OO's at-risk flying is for DL rather than UA, though?

I'm guessing that since OO still has sizeable UA flying nationwide, whatever at-risk flying they do for DL (e.g. EAS contracts) will be allowed to continue since they'll still have the crew bases and maintenance facilities, etc.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

ilovelamp

Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:57 pm

The three remaining DCI carriers will be assigned geographic regions from which to operate. This is will enhance performance by not having their assets spread out too far apart.

Republic will be getting the Compass Delta birds while they GoJet does have less than 10 CRJ9s under contract with Delta until 2022. Delta is making efforts to end that part of the deal early.

ILL

jrkmsp
Topic Author

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:08 pm

ilovelamp

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:13 pm

jrkmsp wrote:

It’s confirmed internally at Delta but no employee can post the announcement from official company internal websites.

ILL

catiii

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:23 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
jrkmsp wrote:

It’s confirmed internally at Delta but no employee can post the announcement from official company internal websites.

ILL

It's certainly never stopped them before... :rotfl:

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:24 pm

The only real thing that could change for OO is as mentioned, getting them out of NYC. They are still going to have a sizable presence in DTW & MSP, where they still have a significant portion of the CR2 flying, and a lot of that is at-risk and/or EAS.

Its likely that they will back-fill LGA with Republic and/or more A220 flying to cover the E75s. Then OO takes over the Compass flying out West.
G7 is highly replaceable by either 9E or OO.

jrkmsp
Topic Author

Tue Aug 06, 2019 6:26 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
jrkmsp wrote:

ILL

I know. But I was looking for public confirmation.

oosnowrat

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:19 pm

JBo wrote:
enilria wrote:

I'm guessing that since OO still has sizeable UA flying nationwide, whatever at-risk flying they do for DL (e.g. EAS contracts) will be allowed to continue since they'll still have the crew bases and maintenance facilities, etc.

There are about a dozen DL prorate routes out of both DTW and MSP. SLC is the only other hub with DL prorate flying.

FlyingElvii

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:27 pm

Scarebus34 wrote:

Hulas should have taken the money last year, when it was offered....

FlyingElvii

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:31 pm

ScottB wrote:
ethernal wrote:

Bedford said early last year that there were "economies of scale" to be gained on the Delta side. More planes of the same type, lower costs spread among more flying.

FlyingElvii

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:33 pm

enilria wrote:

SKywest also runs Ground Ops at many western airports, in a couple of cases, being the only operator on the field. Going back west makes a ton of sense, on several points.

lavalampluva

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:38 pm

I wonder if that will force CP to relocate their HQ since they currently occupy space in DL building C at MSP
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

FlyingElvii

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:40 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
I wonder if that will force CP to relocate their HQ since they currently occupy space in DL building C at MSP

Plenty of space in the old TWA HQ in STL. Just gotta mind the roof leaks and critters.

lavalampluva

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:48 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

Plenty of space in the old TWA HQ in STL. Just gotta mind the roof leaks and critters.

My guess is that's what would end up happening. They are part of Trans States Holdings. If they don't do that then probably move out west closer to the bulk their operations. :twocents:
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

airtran737

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:50 pm

lavalampluva wrote:

The CP internal memo said that DL has granted them the ability to stay in the HQ facility after the planes are transferred. I am wondering how long it will take AA to give CP the boot next, and what is CP's contingency plan? Sure they can chase the UA flying that Mesa does, but what else is there? AS doesn't have a scope clause, so they can also go after that, but it requires aircraft and CP doesn't have any of those to immediately offer.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

amcnd

Tue Aug 06, 2019 7:58 pm

Compass is a paper aircraft. They need the Major to purchase the aircraft. Only one doing that at the moment is United for Expressjet... they could try to pick of Mesa flying.. as they seem to be trying to switch to cargo.. but who knows... Mesa performance seems to bad completion factor in the 95% range... there 700’s are off contract yet still flying. And all you hear on the investor call is will know soon...

JBo

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:18 pm

oosnowrat wrote:
JBo wrote:
enilria wrote:

There are about a dozen DL prorate routes out of both DTW and MSP. SLC is the only other hub with DL prorate flying.

How many of those are EAS contracts versus non-subsidized at-risk routes? I imagine if DL doesn't want OO operating routes out of DTW/MSP, then OO can rebid the EAS contracts to fly under UA to ORD instead. Either that, or Endeavor could rebid those routes to maintain DL service to MSP/DTW.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

barney captain

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:28 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Compass - all DL owned.

I don't believe DL "owns" any of the Compass aircraft - I believe everything at Compass is leased. As someone mentioned "a paper airplane". One might call it a Paper Company.
Southeast Of Disorder

FlyingElvii

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:29 pm

airtran737 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

The CP internal memo said that DL has granted them the ability to stay in the HQ facility after the planes are transferred. I am wondering how long it will take AA to give CP the boot next, and what is CP's contingency plan? Sure they can chase the UA flying that Mesa does, but what else is there? AS doesn't have a scope clause, so they can also go after that, but it requires aircraft and CP doesn't have any of those to immediately offer.

Wasn't there some clause attached to the NW bankruptcy by the city, about leases and minimum employment levels?

DiamondFlyer

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:30 pm

barney captain wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Compass - all DL owned.

I don't believe DL "owns" any of the Compass aircraft - I believe everything at Compass is leased. As someone mentioned "a paper airplane". One might call it a Paper Company.

Delta owns the lease on the aircraft, not Compass...
From my cold, dead hands

FlyingElvii

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:33 pm

amcnd wrote:
Compass is a paper aircraft. They need the Major to purchase the aircraft. Only one doing that at the moment is United for Expressjet... they could try to pick of Mesa flying.. as they seem to be trying to switch to cargo.. but who knows... Mesa performance seems to bad completion factor in the 95% range... there 700’s are off contract yet still flying. And all you hear on the investor call is will know soon...

Mesa's performance issues are, IMO, related to how spread out they are. They run coast-to-coast, moving crews around that far is a nightmare, let alone the maint headaches of repoing aircraft across the entire country. From people who work there, I have heard that crew issues are the biggest issues they have. Tough to move your only spare HOT Captain left for the day from LAX to Dulles, for an ontime.

FlyingElvii

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:35 pm

JBo wrote:
oosnowrat wrote:
JBo wrote:

How many of those are EAS contracts versus non-subsidized at-risk routes? I imagine if DL doesn't want OO operating routes out of DTW/MSP, then OO can rebid the EAS contracts to fly under UA to ORD instead. Either that, or Endeavor could rebid those routes to maintain DL service to MSP/DTW.

Most of that is the Northern Michigan flying.I recall something about maintaining that indefinately being part of the merger agreement with the Feds?

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:42 pm

Skywest isn't going to be getting out of DTW & MSP, they are heavily entrenched within the core operations of these hubs.

The intent is to get OO out of JFK/LGA/BOS.

jrkmsp
Topic Author

Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:49 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
Scarebus34 wrote:

Hulas should have taken the money last year, when it was offered....

Jon Ostrower reported that the deal was done, except United wouldn't agree with it. So it's not that Hulas wouldn't take the money — it's that he couldn't...

Jshank83

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:07 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

This is what I wonder also. Is there a reason Tran States can't just absorb them all back into one company? With no more DL for any of the 3 wings and just a little bit of AA it seems like that would make sense.

But I know it isn't just something you can snap your figures and do.

KCaviator

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:19 pm

rsgolfpunk wrote:
Maybe someone can confirm that DL’s equity interest in Republic is under 20%. Still a good size stake.

Republic ownership:

American: 25%
United: 19.16%
“All others” (40 creditors): 18.68%
Delta: 17.35%
Embraer: 11.54%
Contrarian Funds: 8.27%

MIflyer12

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:38 pm

FlyingElvii wrote:
airtran737 wrote:
lavalampluva wrote:

Wasn't there some clause attached to the NW bankruptcy by the city, about leases and minimum employment levels?

There were some Metropolitan Airports Commission financing restrictions. Delta terminated that by paying off the loans early, in 2011. Ample free cash flow is a wonderful thing.

https://www.aviationpros.com/home/news/ ... -job-fears

as739x

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:40 pm

lavalampluva wrote:

CP will retain offices in MSP. Delta has agreed to continue leasing the space after the flying contract terminates
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

flightsimer

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:54 pm

ScottB wrote:
ethernal wrote:

Skywest does not own Expressjet. That was sold back in January to Mana Air which is a United shell company...

Delta owns Endeavor, but they are also a owner in Republic. I wouldn't be surprised if they have become a larger owner in Republic as well.
Commercial / Airline Pilot

flightsimer

Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:57 pm

PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:
Skywest isn't going to be getting out of DTW & MSP, they are heavily entrenched within the core operations of these hubs.

Actually, I have heard the 175's will be leaving those airports soon.

flightsimer

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:01 pm

barney captain wrote:
aemoreira1981 wrote:
MIflyer12 wrote:

Compass - all DL owned.

Delta OWNs every 175 Compass operates. They were bought by NWA. DL is the registered owner.

Compass operates the aircraft on behalf of DL, the don't lease them from DL.

PSU.DTW.SCE

Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:40 pm

flightsimer wrote:
PSU.DTW.SCE wrote:

Actually, I have heard the 175's will be leaving those airports soon.

That would make sense, but the OO CR2s aren't going to be leaving DTW & MSP anytime soon.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos