Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

behramjee
Topic Author

SAA increases IAD-ACC to daily nonstop A330

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:23 pm

South African Airways officially publishes Washington DC - Accra nonstop flights being increased from 5 weekly to daily using an A330 effective 06Sep-19.

As a result of which, its 2 weekly Dakar-Washington DC flights are suspended effective 02Sep-19.

On the sector ACC-IAD-ACC, the p2p demand over the past 12 months was 60,000 passengers round trip. Beyond Accra, SAA receives good feed with Ghana’s AWA Airlines for traffic to LOS ABV ROB via a code share agreement.

FSDan

Re: SAA increases IAD-ACC to daily nonstop A330

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:33 pm

Good for ACC, but too bad to see DSS loose their IAD service. At least they still have 2x weekly DL to JFK.

Is DSS loosing their SA service entirely, or will SA continue serving JNB-DSS on a terminating basis?
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

behramjee
Topic Author

Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:37 pm

FSDan wrote:
Good for ACC, but too bad to see DSS loose their IAD service. At least they still have 2x weekly DL to JFK.

Is DSS loosing their SA service entirely, or will SA continue serving JNB-DSS on a terminating basis?

As of now DSS-JNB doesn’t show on Sabre being able to book beyond 02Sep. Obviously an A319/320 can’t operate it nonstop so let’s see which one stop city routing it ends up choosing (if any).

iadadd

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:11 am

Smart decision, DC area is home to a sizable Ghanian diaspora as well, so I can imagine this nonstop option is definitely well utilized.

usflyer msp

Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:30 am

From what I have been told, DSS has extremely high costs so I completely understand SA not wanting to transit passengers there.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:28 am

usflyer msp wrote:
From what I have been told, DSS has extremely high costs so I completely understand SA not wanting to transit passengers there.

If costs are an issue, then SA would be very wise to stick to JNB-DSS and send all IAD-bound passengers via ACC.

Anyone have the breakdowns on IAD-ACC, ACC-JNB, and IAD-JNB? How many begin/terminate at ACC? How many are "thru-passengers" to South Africa?

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:29 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

If costs are an issue, then SA would be very wise to stick to JNB-DSS-JNB (focus solely on the O&D) and send all IAD-bound passengers via ACC.

Anyone have the breakdowns on IAD-ACC, ACC-JNB, and IAD-JNB? How many begin/terminate at ACC? How many are "thru-passengers" to South Africa?

evanb

Thu Aug 08, 2019 2:12 am

usflyer msp wrote:

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
If costs are an issue, then SA would be very wise to stick to JNB-DSS-JNB (focus solely on the O&D) and send all IAD-bound passengers via ACC.

They don't transit JNB-IAD pax in DDS. Pax remain on board.

PSAatSAN4Ever

Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:26 am

evanb wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Understood, but it was my understanding that SAA had full traffic rights on all segments: IAD-ACC, ACC-JNB, IAD-DSS, and DSS-JNB, as well as connecting UA passengers at IAD to JNB via either one of their one-stops.

Since SAA is ending the JNB-DSS-IAD segnments in favor of daily JNB-ACC-IAD, it follows that not only is ACC much more profitable than DSS, but that the IAD-ACC is proving popular on its own.

My question is about the local numbers: IAD-ACC, ACC-JNB, and IAD-JNB. When the plane takes off from JNB for ACC, how much of that traffic is going just to ACC on this flight? How many are going on to IAD? And how many people disembark/embark at ACC for IAD?

LH658

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:23 am

FSDan wrote:

2 times weekly? That's a long lay over for the crew I am assuming. Or do they dead head the crew home in Business?

majano

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:48 am

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:
evanb wrote:
usflyer msp wrote:

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

Understood, but it was my understanding that SAA had full traffic rights on all segments: IAD-ACC, ACC-JNB, IAD-DSS, and DSS-JNB, as well as connecting UA passengers at IAD to JNB via either one of their one-stops.

Since SAA is ending the JNB-DSS-IAD segnments in favor of daily JNB-ACC-IAD, it follows that not only is ACC much more profitable than DSS, but that the IAD-ACC is proving popular on its own.

My question is about the local numbers: IAD-ACC, ACC-JNB, and IAD-JNB. When the plane takes off from JNB for ACC, how much of that traffic is going just to ACC on this flight? How many are going on to IAD? And how many people disembark/embark at ACC for IAD?

This is very anecdotal, but I have colleagues who fly the ACC-JNB / JNB - ACC route regularly. The cabins are full the vast majority of times, and often it is fully sold well in advance. The rotation which arrives in JNB early in the morning is particularly popular because it gives business travelers an entire day of productivity after a five hour sleep during the flight.

B747-437B

Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:19 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

SAA's press release on this service change should explain more.

These two additional weekly services to Washington DC provide SAA’s most convenient schedule yet between Ghana and North America, and will also deliver seamless connections for customers from across West Africa. This includes connections to/from Abuja and Lagos in Nigeria; to/from Monrovia in Liberia; and to/from Freetown in Sierra Leone. This important strategic milestone has been made possible through SAA’s growing co-operation and partnership with Africa World Airlines (AWA).

Welcoming these developments, SAA’s Acting CEO, Zuks Ramasia, stated: “One of the key pillars of our strategy is to connect South Africa to West Africa and beyond to North America. Our partnership with Africa World Airlines (AWA) continues to deepen with these new schedules and benefits customers across the African Continent.”

Sean Mendis, Chief Operating Officer at Africa World Airlines, is in agreement: “Expanding our co-operation with SAA means that passengers can enjoy quick and seamless connections between AWA and SAA flights in Accra’s new Terminal 3.”

Concurrently, AWA is increasing services to Freetown and Monrovia to daily operations also effective 05SEP19. This will enable daily two-way connections between Washington and Freetown, Monrovia, Lagos and Abuja - in addition to Accra. These connections are the most convenient routing for the Sierra Leone and Monrovia markets to North America without going through Europe.

Africa World Airlines (AWA) is further strengthening its regional presence in West Africa by increasing flights between Accra and both Freetown and Monrovia to daily services effective 05th September 2019.

The new flights will provide daily seamless connections to/from South African Airways' (SAA) newly announced additional flights to Washington DC via Accra, as well as to Abuja and Lagos in Nigeria.

AWA's Head of Commercial, Richard Kyereh said: "AWA's partnership with SAA has helped both carriers to jointly offer more options to travelers from West Africa. Our home base at Accra's new Terminal 3 has proven to be a very popular connecting point, and aviation gateway to the entire region."

rukundo

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:49 pm

Don't forget that SAA at the begining SAA used West Africa as a fuel stop, to its flights to Europe or to USA, because Africans countries have closed their airspace to SAA, due to the Apartheid. They used Cape Verde, for a long time.

SAA left Ilho Do Sal, in 2006, to move at Dakar Airport. viewtopic.php?t=405317

At this time, SAA had also a code share with Air Senegal International.

TM.com - Have you entered into partnerships with other companies?

MD - We have a Share code agreement with South African Airways. The goal is to propose the United States. The connection on New York is ensured daily and that on Washington 3 times a week.

Interview on a French Travel news website, in 2006: https://www.tourmag.com/Air-Senegal-Int ... 13486.html

At the begining, Accra was the 1st choice, but SAA didn't get trafic rights between Accra and USA.

In July 2005, SAA started a four times weekly Johannesburg-Accra-Washington, D.C. service with a Boeing 747-400. Service was increased to daily flights in July 2006, and the 747-400 was replaced by an Airbus A340-600. Because SAA could not obtain rights to fly passengers between Ghana and the US, Dakar replaced Accra as the intermediate stop. In 2007, SAA retired the last of its 747-400 fleet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Airways

They were also plans to resume US service, from Abidjan (operated till early 2000s, by Air Afrique).

South African Airways snubs Abidjan airport Jeune Afrique (13 August 2015)

The South Africans, who inaugurated the Accra-Washington line at the beginning of the month, are stalling the Ivorian economic capital for the moment. According to our sources, a study by the business law firm Intervista commissioned by South African Airways reveals that Abidjan airport will not provide enough traffic, even though the carrier continues to record large losses on the Johannesburg-Dakar line.

https://www.jeuneafrique.com/mag/255238 ... -dabidjan/ (In French)

berari

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:02 pm

B747-437B wrote:
PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

SAA's press release on this service change should explain more.

Well then look who's back at ACC!

andz

Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:49 pm

PSAatSAN4Ever wrote:

I flew this route on Sunday and when we landed in ACC it seemed as if most pax stood up to disembark. I only saw 3 or 4 business class pax still in their seats.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

rjmf22

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:14 pm

The loads must be pretty good for this to go daily!
United Airlines

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos