Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Western727
Topic Author

Drunk FA fired (UA Express, ORD-SBN)

Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:58 pm

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/flight- ... d=64854013
https://www.kansascity.com/news/nation- ... 58102.html
https://people.com/travel/flight-attend ... ng-flight/

(Apologies if this is a duplicate; unable to find a thread on this via search)

Sole FA appearing to be drunk on a flight from O'Hare to South Bend...yikes.
Jack @ AUS

Seabear

Re: Drunk FA fired (UA Express, ORD-SBN)

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:05 pm

Wow, that's one miserable mug shot hangover. How did she manage to get all the way to the airport and board the flight without being noticed?

sw733

Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:20 pm

I love how the photo of her on the ABC article says the flight was going to "East Bend"...north, south, east, west, whatever.

KlimaBXsst

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:17 pm

Such public notoriety is tough and knowing the resiliency of flight attendants, I am sure she will be able to lift herself up from the makings of her mishap the previous night before.

There is absolutely no excuse for this, but we really do not know the circumstances that lead her down this path in her personal life.

IF she needs some sort of detox treatment, my hope is she gets it. A detox program could also be beneficial for her to rehabilitate herself and network for career prospects in the future once she manages to get things back in order.

Poor gal has to remember this is short term life hiccup and things will be good again in time with a little self work.

Prayers from those colleagues and lives she’s touched in the good ways, absent of this one bad flight.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

KlimaBXsst

Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:28 pm

One also has to remember altitude exacerbates the effect of alcohol on the the body.

So do the possibilities of a touch of hypoxia, though I am not implying this in any way.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

Western727
Topic Author

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:24 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
One also has to remember altitude exacerbates the effect of alcohol on the the body.

So do the possibilities of a touch of hypoxia, though I am not implying this in any way.

You raise a good point, though she did slur the safety briefing before the aircraft took off. Either way, definitely an unfortunate situation.

Separately, do any of you know what flight number (or at least what aircraft) was involved? "Sole" FA plus a 4-abreast cabin without an F cabin strongly suggests the dreaded CRJ-200, though.
Jack @ AUS

capitalflyer

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Why did this flight even take off? Surely her condition was visible to cockpit crew. I would think it would have been easier to get a replacement FA at ORD rather than SBN. Did the cockpit crew decide to depart on their own or was this an Air Wisconsin decision?

I assume the return flight was cancelled or delayed since they were down a crew member, unless a crew swap was happening at SBN.

Caspian27

Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:44 pm

Western727 wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

You raise a good point, though she did slur the safety briefing before the aircraft took off. Either way, definitely an unfortunate situation.

Separately, do any of you know what flight number (or at least what aircraft) was involved? "Sole" FA plus a 4-abreast cabin without an F cabin strongly suggests the dreaded CRJ-200, though.

Air Wisconsin only operates the CRJ-200.
Meanwhile, somewhere 35,000 ft above your head...

aeromoe

Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:48 pm

sw733 wrote:
I love how the photo of her on the ABC article says the flight was going to "East Bend"...north, south, east, west, whatever.

Yeah well the original news article I read on my phone a little bit ago said the flight was operated by Wisconsin Air. Gotta love the press.
Since 60s: AA AC AS BA BD BF BN BR(85) BY B6 CO CZ(16) DG DL EA EI EN FI FL FT F9 HA HP ICX JI JQ J7 KE KL KS LH MC NW OC OO OZ(87) OZ(88) PA PI PN(97) PT QF QQ RM RO RV(99) RV(16) RW SK SM SQ S4 TI TS TW UA UK US UZ VS VX WA WN WS W7 XV YV YX(13) ZZ 9K

sw733

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:05 pm

aeromoe wrote:
sw733 wrote:

Yeah well the original news article I read on my phone a little bit ago said the flight was operated by Wisconsin Air. Gotta love the press.

Hey, at least that's just a mix up of the correct words...not like they called it Air Montana.

sw733

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:06 pm

capitalflyer wrote:
I assume the return flight was cancelled or delayed since they were down a crew member, unless a crew swap was happening at SBN.

I believe it was her first flight of the day (if I understood correctly) and I feel like it would be unlikely to have her come in, fly what is essentially one of the shortest domestic routes out there, and then stop for the day in South Bend.

sprxUSA

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:19 pm

I like the person that stated that a passenger was trying to contact her by phone, but she wouldn't answer and just sat in jump seat....
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

wjcandee

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:21 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:

Well, ABC says she blew a 0.204, which is more than 3 times the legal limit to drive, and a smidge more that 5 times the 0.040 that Federal law imposes on persons in aviation operating positions.

At a .2, most people are pretty messed up, if not stumbling drunk. Two vodka shooters on the way to work isn't gonna do that to anyone, so maybe it was two shooters to mellow out from the binge the night before...

Last edited by wjcandee on Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wjcandee

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:21 pm

sprxUSA wrote:
I like the person that stated that a passenger was trying to contact her by phone, but she wouldn't answer and just sat in jump seat....

I thought they said the flight deck was ringing her on the interphone.

hOMSaR

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:25 pm

sprxUSA wrote:

That just raises more questions than it answers. Of course, I'm sure something was misinterpreted/lost in translation. More likely a passenger pressed the call button, which then got changed to a passenger tried to call the flight attendant, which then got changed to someone tried to call the FA by phone.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

hOMSaR

Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:26 pm

wjcandee wrote:
sprxUSA wrote:

From the article:

"The whole plane -- a very small plane -- noticed something was wrong when a passenger tried to contact her on the phone just before takeoff and she was in her jump seat, not strapped in, and the phone rang multiple times without her answering, which to me was the most concerning part because the pilot wasn’t able to communicate with the lone flight attendant and took off anyway," Dan, who asked that his last name not be used, told ABC News.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

wjcandee

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:33 pm

That's a typo. The NYPost fixed it: "Another passenger, who only gave his name as Dan, told ABC News that even the pilot wasn’t able to get in touch with March. He said the “whole plane … noticed something was wrong” and that the attendant’s phone rang “multiple times without her answering” it."

TTailedTiger

Fri Aug 09, 2019 10:49 pm

So flight attendants get fired for being drunk but pilots get "rehab" and sent right back to the flight deck? What kind of sense does this make?

Antarius

Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:03 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:
Such public notoriety is tough and knowing the resiliency of flight attendants, I am sure she will be able to lift herself up from the makings of her mishap the previous night before.

There is absolutely no excuse for this, but we really do not know the circumstances that lead her down this path in her personal life.

IF she needs some sort of detox treatment, my hope is she gets it. A detox program could also be beneficial for her to rehabilitate herself and network for career prospects in the future once she manages to get things back in order.

Poor gal has to remember this is short term life hiccup and things will be good again in time with a little self work.

Prayers from those colleagues and lives she’s touched in the good ways, absent of this one bad flight.

If the FA was slightly over, they can be counseled, retrained etc. Blowing > 0.2 isnt an accident or a mistake. The person needs serious help.

Either way, theres no way this person should be allowed to crew an aircraft ever again.
2020: SFO DFW IAH HOU CLT MEX BIS MIA GUA ORD DTW LGA BOS LHR DUB BFS BHD STN OAK PHL ISP JFK SJC DEN SJU LAS TXL GDL

astaz

Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:06 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:
So flight attendants get fired for being drunk but pilots get "rehab" and sent right back to the flight deck? What kind of sense does this make?

The process is significantly more difficult then you make it sound, and generally only applies when a pilot didn’t actually fly, perhaps getting discovered by TSA or a gate agent for example. Once you’ve operated the aircraft, things become much more difficult, regardless of who you are.

DDR

Fri Aug 09, 2019 11:15 pm

TTailedTiger wrote:

She was on probation as a new hire and does not get union representation. During probation the airline can basically terminate your employment for any reason.

910A

Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:56 am

capitalflyer wrote:
Why did this flight even take off? Surely her condition was visible to cockpit crew. I would think it would have been easier to get a replacement FA at ORD rather than SBN. Did the cockpit crew decide to depart on their own or was this an Air Wisconsin decision?

Exactly, how could the cockpit crew not notice her impairment? If it was Air Wisconsin decision to operate the flight, then the company should be subject to a large fine.

910A

Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:01 am

capitalflyer wrote:

Looking at Flightaware there was no Tuesday return which was the day of the incident. So I believe it returned to ORD under a different flight number (ferry flight) .

CobaltScar

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:20 am

Regionals have to do a FA/Pilot pre-flight brief I assume? How in the WORLD did the pilots overlook this?

ual763

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:24 am

While she should absolutely be fired, and the pilots should also receive additional “training” on the matter, I do find it quite funny that the passenger denied the rather generous offer from United. Concerned about his safety? My ass! He’s just looking for a handout along with everyone else that noticed it beforehand and said nothing. They even admit to noticing the behavior while boarding. Surely they could have made it known to the pilots, or walk back up the jetbridge to tell the gate agent before the door shut? Hell, they could’ve even called the police on their cellphones while still parked at the gate and the flight most definitely would not have taken off.

Classic Swiss cheese model. Every single person failed in this instance. The FA obviously failed herself. The TSA failed to notice her (surely, judging on her blood alcohol level and mug shot she would have been acting “weird” to say the least). The gate agent failed to notice the weird activity. Both pilots failed to detect the behavior before boarding(did they not conduct a crew briefing?). And yes, the passengers failed too. In fact, their failure is almost worse than the pilots, gate agents, & TSA. Because they noticed it (and knew she was drunk), yet said or did NOTHING. The prospect of a payout and media coverage was more appealing than their safety...
Last edited by ual763 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
From flying to the NOTAM office

davescj

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:26 am

My question - how did the gate agent who let her down the jetway not notice? There had to be multiple people who failed in this instance. I can understand not notifying the pilots- UA doesn't have the best reputation, no one wants to be charged with 'interfering with flight crew.'
Can I have a mojito on this flight?

lowfareair

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:52 am

wjcandee wrote:
KlimaBXsst wrote:

Well, ABC says she blew a 0.204, which is more than 3 times the legal limit to drive, and a smidge more that 5 times the 0.040 that Federal law imposes on persons in aviation operating positions.

At a .2, most people are pretty messed up, if not stumbling drunk. Two vodka shooters on the way to work isn't gonna do that to anyone, so maybe it was two shooters to mellow out from the binge the night before...

The crazy part is that is AFTER they landed, AFTER she was deplaned, and apparently AFTER they interviewed her. So likely 3+ hours after she stopped drinking. Likely walked into the airport close to .24-.25.-

wjcandee

Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:55 am

Lowfare: Good point!!

Yossarian22

Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:05 am

ual763 wrote:
While she should absolutely be fired, and the pilots should also receive additional “training” on the matter, I do find it quite funny that the passenger denied the rather generous offer from United. Concerned about his safety? My ass! He’s just looking for a handout along with everyone else that noticed it beforehand and said nothing. They even admit to noticing the behavior while boarding. Surely they could have made it known to the pilots, or walk back up the jetbridge to tell the gate agent before the door shut? Hell, they could’ve even called the police on their cellphones while still parked at the gate and the flight most definitely would not have taken off.

Classic Swiss cheese model. Every single person failed in this instance. The FA obviously failed herself. The TSA failed to notice her (surely, judging on her blood alcohol level and mug shot she would have been acting “weird” to say the least). The gate agent failed to notice the weird activity. Both pilots failed to detect the behavior before boarding(did they not conduct a crew briefing?). And yes, the passengers failed too. In fact, their failure is almost worse than the pilots, gate agents, & TSA. Because they noticed it (and knew she was drunk), yet said or did NOTHING. The prospect of a payout and media coverage was more appealing than their safety...

Obviously, the passengers are the most at fault when a series of professionals failed to prevent this from happening.

OKCDCA

Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:38 am

First of all, she should absolutely be fired...

Secondly though, how many of us on this forum would sit there and go “I’m an Avgeek, I’ve been on a plane multiple times, I don’t care how drunk he/she is, I just want to get home and get off this CRJ...”. Especially when we’ve all had completely sober FA’s we all think we will do a better job than if a situation arises?

catiii

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:15 am

Yossarian22 wrote:
ual763 wrote:

Obviously, the passengers are the most at fault when a series of professionals failed to prevent this from happening.

Exactly. How dare the passengers let this happen when, you know, EVERYONE else didn’t stop her. Clearly they were looking for notoriety. :rotfl:

dfwjim1

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:15 am

Is it TSA's responsibility to watch for crewmembers who are impaired?

Airontario

Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:32 am

dfwjim1 wrote:
Is it TSA's responsibility to watch for crewmembers who are impaired?

I wouldn't expect them physically stop them. If I was a working pre-boarding security and I saw that, I would definitely be contacting the airport police however.

ual763

Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:15 pm

Yossarian22 wrote:
ual763 wrote:

Yeah... They were. You don’t get to play the “my life was in SOO much danger” card after the fact, when you knew full well about the danger and could have rid yourself of it before it posed a threat. So, yeah... They are just looking for a payout. If they were really concerned about their safety, they would have done something to ensure it.

Yossarian22

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:31 pm

ual763 wrote:
Yossarian22 wrote:
ual763 wrote:

Yeah... They were. You don’t get to play the “my life was in SOO much danger” card after the fact, when you knew full well about the danger and could have rid yourself of it before it posed a threat. So, yeah... They are just looking for a payout. If they were really concerned about their safety, they would have done something to ensure it.

To argue that the paying passengers are more responsible for this than the various airline and airport personal she came into contact with is ludicrous. Honestly, who is more responsible than the Captain? It is his or her plane, and during there pre-departure interactions, it should have been painfully obvious that one member of the crew was unfit for duty.

greendot

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:38 pm

KlimaBXsst wrote:

All alcoholics suffer from hypoxia, flying or not. The mechanism of alcohol is to reduce the number of oxygen atoms going to the brain. Lower atmospheric pressure makes it even worse. There are no medical benefits to drinking alcohol.

SpeckSpot

Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:58 pm

How much does a high-end breathalyzer cost, and why is it not routine for every flight crew member to take a breathalyzer test before boarding the flight, as a part of the flight briefing / preparation process.

I wonder whether there is a potential downside in that if a number is specified for the alcohol limit, it might make flight crews think that it is okay to go really close to that number but not over, instead of generously avoiding the limit with room to spare.

ual763

Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:48 pm

Yossarian22 wrote:
ual763 wrote:
Yossarian22 wrote:

To argue that the paying passengers are more responsible for this than the various airline and airport personal she came into contact with is ludicrous. Honestly, who is more responsible than the Captain? It is his or her plane, and during there pre-departure interactions, it should have been painfully obvious that one member of the crew was unfit for duty.

Well, in my original post, I did say that the pilots, TSA, and the gate agents were also all at fault (assuming she was drunk before duty). The only thing is though, they obviously didn't know about it until it was in the air (this is inexcusable as well)... Whereas Mr. Lawsuit knew about it the minute he walked onto the aircraft and said or did nothing. Or maybe, just maybe, the drunken FA downed a number of the pre-mixed cocktails loaded onto the plane AFTER the crew briefing and BEFORE the passengers boarded.

BAINY3

Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:56 pm

Re: the hypoxia/altitude posts: This was a very short flight and topped out at about 10,000 feet for only five minutes. In this circumstance I doubt the altitude made much of a difference.

ual763

Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:56 pm

SpeckSpot wrote:
How much does a high-end breathalyzer cost, and why is it not routine for every flight crew member to take a breathalyzer test before boarding the flight, as a part of the flight briefing / preparation process.

I wonder whether there is a potential downside in that if a number is specified for the alcohol limit, it might make flight crews think that it is okay to go really close to that number but not over, instead of generously avoiding the limit with room to spare.

A higher end machine is expensive. However, for how much money the airlines/airports make, it is only a drop in the bucket for them. I'll tell you how you stop this. At the Known Crewmember security checkpoint at all commerical airports, there should be one of these quick-read machines. This is not all that unreasonable. The airport authority, TSA (US Govt.), or the airlines can foot the relatively low bill for the machine. They make them now where you will get an accurate reading in only a few seconds. If it is mandatory at the security checkpoint, this will hopefully take care of the problem for crewmembers who were drinking prior to duty. However, there is a chance also that this FA was drinking ON duty (as in from the drink cart before boarding began). In order to curb this, there needs to be comprehensive inventory checks before and after every flight. One would think that this is the commonsense thing to do, but unfortunately it is rarely ever done on any of the US airlines.

Also, inventory checks would curb FAs from stealing entire bags full of Stroopwafels, Biscoff Cookies, etc. Cannot tell you the number of times I've seen FAs steal the snack bin contents. It only makes sense that without comprehensive checks they could steal the alcohol too. What's stopping them?
Last edited by ual763 on Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sprxUSA

Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:58 pm

wjcandee wrote:
sprxUSA wrote:

That was a statement by someone else. I liked the one due to the fact that someone thought a pax could call lol.
Gem State Airlines..."we have a gem of an airline"

Adipocere

Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:10 pm

Is her union trying to push for a redress hearing about her getting fired?

highflier92660

Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:13 pm

Not to minimize the seriousness of the flight attendant's alcohol infraction, but to say she endangered the lives of the passengers on an 84-mile regional airline flight that perhaps reached 10,000-feet is hyperbole. Did the passengers aboard that Air Wisconsin CRJ-200 really believe this woman would have been pressed into action like Karen Black? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v13Hxz0TLvM

Door4Right

Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:47 pm

highflier92660 wrote:
Not to minimize the seriousness of the flight attendant's alcohol infraction, but to say she endangered the lives of the passengers on an 84-mile regional airline flight that perhaps reached 10,000-feet is hyperbole. Did the passengers aboard that Air Wisconsin CRJ-200 really believe this woman would have been pressed into action like Karen Black? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v13Hxz0TLvM

Excuse me. This person is a required crewmember on a commercial airplane. Her job is to monitor safety conditions, passenger health and welfare, and security matters. Any number of things MIGHT have gone wrong, regardless of the type of aircraft or length of flight. Moreover, this was a solo-flight attendant airplane, which places even greater importance on her fitness for duty. What if a passenger needed medical attention or, God forbid there was a mechanical or other emergency? Just because she was unlikely to be called upon to fly the airplane "like Karen Black" doesn't mean that safety and security were not endangered by her condition. They necessarily WERE, in that those are the job of this person who was impaired.

USAIRWAYS321

Sat Aug 10, 2019 5:51 pm

I don't know whether I'm more amazed that someone is seriously attempting to place blame on the passengers, or that someone didn't blame them sooner than the 25th reply. This site is seriously something else. Holy cow.

Ionosphere

Sat Aug 10, 2019 6:09 pm

I had a friend who a UA FA on new hire probation. He got a DUI a few months in. UA sent him to rehab then fired him.

EFHK

Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:50 am

highflier92660 wrote:

OK, let's say that I agree with you. While I think that you're just trolling, it could be that someone aboard that Air Wisconsin plane thought that everything was OK. Thought that someone suggesting they'd get a drunk flight attendant on their flight would just be a bad joke. That the flight crew could have never guessed, that after all these years, some sole FA could be dead drunk in their hands.

And then it happened.

It's not a crime against humanity, but it's serious. I'm sorry for the FA, but apparently she's getting what she deserves.

EstherLouise

Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:51 am

If I had to be an FA on a CRJ2, I'd be drunk, too. With the passengers always complaining: "The windows are too low." "My butt is numb." "My neck hurts."
712 722 732 734 737 738 741 742 744 752 762 772 A310 DC91 DC93 DC94 DC1030 DC1040 F100 MD82 MD83

Pellegrine

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:12 am

In the medical field nurses and doctors are offered the chance to go to rehab if they're drunk on the job or stealing medication. I think people shouldn't be so quick to cancel people. Also, if she's a true alcoholic she likely has a high tolerance. Therefore people might not have noticed her drunkenness until the plane took off.
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

Pellegrine

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:13 am

EstherLouise wrote:
If I had to be an FA on a CRJ2, I'd be drunk, too. With the passengers always complaining: "The windows are too low." "My butt is numb." "My neck hurts."

Hahahha :bigthumbsup:
We fly JETS, we don't fly donkeys.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos