Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

danj555

Re: Drunk FA fired (UA Express, ORD-SBN)

Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:20 am

The way the article is written makes it sound like she was arrested AFTER the flight completed. So all these people who "feared for their lives" let this flight attendant work for the entire flight, and only after the dangerous bit was over did they complain that their lives could be in jeopardy.

If she was the danger they claimed, why didn't anyone (including the other FAs) say anything before the flight took off??

lightsaber

Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:04 am

Door4Right wrote:
highflier92660 wrote:
Not to minimize the seriousness of the flight attendant's alcohol infraction, but to say she endangered the lives of the passengers on an 84-mile regional airline flight that perhaps reached 10,000-feet is hyperbole. Did the passengers aboard that Air Wisconsin CRJ-200 really believe this woman would have been pressed into action like Karen Black? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v13Hxz0TLvM

Excuse me. This person is a required crewmember on a commercial airplane. Her job is to monitor safety conditions, passenger health and welfare, and security matters. Any number of things MIGHT have gone wrong, regardless of the type of aircraft or length of flight. Moreover, this was a solo-flight attendant airplane, which places even greater importance on her fitness for duty. What if a passenger needed medical attention or, God forbid there was a mechanical or other emergency? Just because she was unlikely to be called upon to fly the airplane "like Karen Black" doesn't mean that safety and security were not endangered by her condition. They necessarily WERE, in that those are the job of this person who was impaired.

If a FA isn't required, do not staff the position. Either FAs have a safety role, which I firmly believe that they do. Or not as pointed out above.

And it would inhibit my ability to get the full can of soda. ;)

The airline dispatched in violation of FAA policy. Oops

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

USAIRWAYS321

Sun Aug 11, 2019 2:08 am

danj555 wrote:
The way the article is written makes it sound like she was arrested AFTER the flight completed. So all these people who "feared for their lives" let this flight attendant work for the entire flight, and only after the dangerous bit was over did they complain that their lives could be in jeopardy.

If she was the danger they claimed, why didn't anyone (including the other FAs) say anything before the flight took off??

Funny how you reference the article and then display clear proof of not having read it. First, it was a CRJ-200 with a single flight attendant. Second, passengers aren't responsible for "letting" crew work.

FlyHossD

Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:13 am

I just hope she gets the help she needs.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

alasizon

Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:49 am

ual763 wrote:
However, there is a chance also that this FA was drinking ON duty (as in from the drink cart before boarding began). In order to curb this, there needs to be comprehensive inventory checks before and after every flight. One would think that this is the commonsense thing to do, but unfortunately it is rarely ever done on any of the US airlines.

Also, inventory checks would curb FAs from stealing entire bags full of Stroopwafels, Biscoff Cookies, etc. Cannot tell you the number of times I've seen FAs steal the snack bin contents. It only makes sense that without comprehensive checks they could steal the alcohol too. What's stopping them?

This is something that is partially being worked on but more to detect waste. The added cost of snack theft is negligible (alcohol theft is a whole separate issue). The issue is that so many different stations are out of XYZ liquor (for instance there has been two different extended shortages of Bombay this year due to distributor failures) and trying to audit it for accuracy is impossible.

Not sure how UA does their catering but for AA and DL flights operated by OO on such short CR2 flights, they often don't even break the seal on the cart to open it as it is usually a no service flight or a water only service and water, cups and ice are not kept in the galley cart where the alcohol is.
Airport (noun) - A construction site which airplanes tend to frequent

rlwynn

Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:15 am

EstherLouise wrote:
If I had to be an FA on a CRJ2, I'd be drunk, too. With the passengers always complaining: "The windows are too low." "My butt is numb." "My neck hurts."

But that is only on Anet fielld trips.
I can drive faster than you

tu204

Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:16 pm

SpeckSpot wrote:
How much does a high-end breathalyzer cost, and why is it not routine for every flight crew member to take a breathalyzer test before boarding the flight, as a part of the flight briefing / preparation process.

I wonder whether there is a potential downside in that if a number is specified for the alcohol limit, it might make flight crews think that it is okay to go really close to that number but not over, instead of generously avoiding the limit with room to spare.

Totally normal in Russia at even small airports.

Problem is that here it is 0.02 limit now, but before it was 0.0 a year ago.

I like to drink Kefir or Ayran (sour milk product) in the morning with my breakfast and had a few failed tests that sent me to do a quickie blood test showing I was all good...

P.S. it was blowing like 0.01-0.02.
I do not dream about movie stars, they must dream about me for I am real and they are not. - Alexander Popov

KlimaBXsst

Sun Aug 11, 2019 4:07 pm

I wonder if she managed to conduct a exit row safety briefing....

Passengers in these rows probably would have noticed something. Yes I agree failure points at multiple levels.
Aesthetically the A 340 got it right!

freakyrat

Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:21 pm

EstherLouise wrote:
If I had to be an FA on a CRJ2, I'd be drunk, too. With the passengers always complaining: "The windows are too low." "My butt is numb." "My neck hurts."

I've been on that flight several times. It's a very short flight of about 18 minutes. I've flown longer CR2 flights on DL (ASA, Comair, and Skywest) those are almost unbearable. In all my flying on the ORD-SBN run I think I liked the Viscount and the CV580 the best.

danj555

Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:02 pm

USAIRWAYS321 wrote:
danj555 wrote:

Funny how you reference the article and then display clear proof of not having read it. First, it was a CRJ-200 with a single flight attendant. Second, passengers aren't responsible for "letting" crew work.

She absolutely had contact with other AA or airport staff on her way to the gate.

And of course passengers aren't liable to notify crew of a drunk FA, that would be ridiculous. I just find it interesting that if the pax "feared for their lives" why didn't anyone react to their "fear" in time for something proactive to be done about it. No one said anything to anyone before the flight took off, or notified the pilot in-flight.

ual763

Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:12 am

danj555 wrote:
I just find it interesting that if the pax "feared for their lives" why didn't anyone react to their "fear" in time for something proactive to be done about it. No one said anything to anyone before the flight took off, or notified the pilot in-flight.

If he had spoken up then he wouldn't have had the opportunity later on to reject the airline’s offer of compensation in the hopes of getting a much larger settlement because of his “fear”. He saw moneybags in his future. That was obviously more important than the safety of his fellow passengers...
From flying to the NOTAM office

b747400erf

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:16 am

Most societies look at addition in the light of punish them and get vengeance. But she needs help and treatment and support. Once she is able to come back to be an employee she has nowhere to go and is going to most likely go back to that addiction again. Certain people are going to cheer on her being sacked and move on to the next hunt to find somebody else to go destroy.

Ziyulu

Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:21 am

Once again, blaming Air Wisconsin instead of United. And no comments about lack of safety.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos